Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers Basketball Hires Ben Johnson as HC

Home for Gopher Basketball
UnFadeable21

Gophers Basketball Hires Ben Johnson as HC

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Last edited by UnFadeable21 on Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Gophers Basketball Hires Ben Johnson as HC

Post by HeHateMe »

Very interesting! I love Ben..... I am shocked... but here we go.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Ben Johnson, 39, joined the Xavier Basketball staff in 2018 after spending the previous five seasons from 2013-18 as an assistant at his alma mater, Minnesota. He has been a big part of helping Travis Steele secure multiple nationally-ranked recruiting classes.

Johnson started his collegiate playing career at Northwestern and played two seasons before returning to the Twin Cities to finish his career. He was a two-time captain at Minnesota and finished with 533 points in 59 games in Maroon and Gold. He scored a total of 1,202 career points between the two Big Ten Conference institutions.

The Minneapolis native enjoyed a standout prep career, leading DeLaSalle High School to a pair of state championships. He was a two-time first-team all-state selection in both football and basketball, and as a senior, was named a Street & Smith All-American, as well as an honorable mention Nike All-American.

Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:12 pm Very interesting! I love Ben..... I am shocked... but here we go.
Shocking indeed. I do think he'll be above average in recruiting.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:12 pm Very interesting! I love Ben..... I am shocked... but here we go.
Looks like he’s a born and bred Minnesotan like us.

I hope he does well for my school. They send me emails every week to donate money lol
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:14 pm
Locally for sure... what if he starts hiring AAU coaches locally as his assistants!?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:18 pm
Locally for sure... what if he starts hiring AAU coaches locally as his assistants!?
This hire has to help with Jamison Battle, right?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:33 pm

I would expect Battle to end up at Minnesota now.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Style

Post by Style »

I was talking with my buddy the other day about a Dutcher hire with Johnson as lead assistant, wink wink future HC. I guess we're just going to get to the point immediately.

Now go get Holloman.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:34 pm
What about Ishmael El-Amin?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Style wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:37 pm I was talking with my buddy the other day about a Dutcher hire with Johnson as lead assistant, wink wink future HC. I guess we're just going to get to the point immediately.

Now go get Holloman.
Coyle didn’t want an older guy. Dutcher, Mitchell, these guys are 60+ already.

Johnson can be a 10 year hire
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:37 pm

Sure it's possible. Madsen brothers available too.... I think they visited Xavier.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Babu out of the gates in full kiss-ass mode.
Style

Post by Style »

A nice first step for him, other than securing MN HS talent, would be to bring back MN HS transfers. Fill the program with 'em, Ben.

If you're going to go down, at least go down with MN guys. Take them all. Build the trust.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

He was already on a staff who let way too many Minnesota kids leave.

Plus the biggest factor is can he coach?

You all told me Pitino was a great recruiter for years and it never translated because he couldn’t coach the X’s and O’s This is a mid major move. It checks two boxes though. Cheap and a minority hire. I won’t shit on the hire right away but this is really suspect.

You can pretend all you want but most of the cream of the crop isn’t coming here. The kids growing up today have never even seen this program relevant. You need to start winning to get them back and you need to be able to take 2nd tier level guys and succeed with them because those are the guys you get at a school like MN. It’s exactly what the Badgers are so good at. You You think teams like Loyola are getting the best of the best?
Last edited by RubeTube on Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:52 pm He was already on a staff who let way too many Minnesota kids leave.

You all told me Pitino was a great recruiter for years and it never translated because he couldn’t coach the X’s and O’s This is a mid major move. It checks two boxes though. Cheap and a minority hire. I won’t shit on the hire right away but this is really suspect.
Henry Lake told a story last week about one named Tyrese Haliburton. Ben was the recruiter for him... Haliburton wanted to commit and Richard said no.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:48 pm A nice first step for him, other than securing MN HS talent, would be to bring back MN HS transfers. Fill the program with 'em, Ben.

If you're going to go down, at least go down with MN guys. Take them all. Build the trust.
BOOM!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:55 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:52 pm He was already on a staff who let way too many Minnesota kids leave.

Henry Lake told a story last week about one named Tyrese Haliburton. Ben was the recruiter for him... Haliburton wanted to commit and Richard said no.
We will see what happens. This is way too big of a gamble imo. One more bust and this program is dead. It’s on life support now. It’s the same type of hire as Richard was. Very risky.

Lot’s of people saying they are canceling their season tickets lol. I bet they don’t.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:44 pm
Sure it's possible. Madsen brothers available too.... I think they visited Xavier.
Do you know if Ben Johnson has a good relationship with Ed Conroy? Would like to keep Liam Robbins here.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

The real question is: is he better than Ryan Saunders? Lol
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:59 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:55 pm

We will see what happens. This is way too big of a gamble imo. One more bust and this program is dead. It’s on life support now. It’s the same type of hire as Richard was. Very risky.

Lot’s of people saying they are canceling their season tickets lol. I bet they don’t.
A lot of people that complain about the program do not spend money on it. How many people on this forum go to games?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:00 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:44 pm

Do you know if Ben Johnson has a good relationship with Ed Conroy? Would like to keep Liam Robbins here.
Not sure on the relationship but they obviously overlapped here.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Does it really matter rubes? The program has been below average for decades other than a few wonderful years under Clem and even one of those years doesn't count. Coyle solved 3 issues with this.....hiring a minority, hiring someone with good experience recruiting MN kids, and hiring someone under budget. As with PJ Fleck, all I want is a guy who can field a competitive team on a regular basis and maybe every 4 years or so make a trip to the sweet 16 or beyond. We're never going to be a national power so let's all simma down and see what Ben can do!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners: