Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers Basketball Hires Ben Johnson as HC

Home for Gopher Basketball
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Gophers Basketball Hires Ben Johnson as HC

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:06 am I like the hire. I will say emphatically, I have no idea on if he will get it done or not, and certainly its NOT some sort "man, I know he will do it". I like it for a lot of little reasons.

First, as a lifelong Gopher fan who really has had apathy set in last few years, let me state what my "goal" would be for the program. Pretend, for a minute, Clem didnt run into the nonsense at the end. Then, thats my goal - a program who is usually pretty good, once in a while is in legit conf title race and can make deep runs in tourney once in a while. Its never going to be MSU, but, what Clem had going right before the end was pretty good and damn fun. 1997 Gopher hoops is one of the funnest seasons of my lifetime as a sports fan. Fuck that was fun. Went to Indy, and completely loved it.

Secondly, lets remember two undeniable facts. 1. This was going to be a minority hire. There was no way around that, the heat they are getting is real. Not at all saying he was hired because he is a minority, I am saying a minority was going to be hired and thus that limits the pool of candidates. 2. It was going to be someone semi cheap. Coyle shit the damn bed with his panicked and asinine cutting sports last year. The pitchforks would have been out in full force had he went and got a 3-4M hire. Stupid and silly and very very short sighted decision to cut sports that handcuffed him big time. I will say I find his contract odd, seems like Coyle had leverage and should have exercised that more, but I dont know.

Here is what I like:

1. There has been LONG STANDING buzz about Johnson. People in his camp are HARD in his camp. Look at who is commenting. That should matter.
2. The biggest thing long touted was his being paramount in recruiting. We have to find a way to keep some of these kids here. I think his impact will be most in this singular aspect.
3. I think Coyle is right about needing someone who bleeds MN to be the one trying to do the selling. Success and wanting more money are fine motivators, and what would have been the motivators for another hire - this guy is a die hard, he is an alum, and his motivation is different. That to me is a big positive.
4. He supposedly has VERY good ties to the HS coaches here. That matters as well.
4. Now go back to what I said prior - goal for the program. I am not saying Johnson will do that, tbh I have no clue what his "coaching chops" are. That does matter. But, I will say this - the best chance for an outcome of a long term successful team like I described is a guy like this who this is his job. There is nowhere else he wants to go. This isnt a reason to hire someone (or more importantly to not hire the up and comer you fear then will just leave down the road), but it is a factor that is appealing.
Pretty good stuff. Better than your football takes. :thumbsup:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

His Assistant hires will be critical as well. He needs a very experienced guy who is good with X and O's. I also would love to see him add the long time former Delasalle Coach whose name escapes me. He was really good on Clem's staff and many I have talked to think very highly of him. Was it Thorson?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:57 am This is where I'm at.

Yep. I wanted Medved because of the local connections mainly. Ben doesn't have the head coaching experience but he checks off the local connections. Let's see what he can do. This basketball community is very odd, you can probably expand on it.

Why does a Minnesota kid get frustrated and leave the state because he wasn't offered early yet Wisconsin can offer the same time and bam, he's gone.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:20 am His Assistant hires will be critical as well. He needs a very experienced guy who is good with X and O's. I also would love to see him add the long time former Delasalle Coach whose name escapes me. He was really good on Clem's staff and many I have talked to think very highly of him. Was it Thorson?
Dave Thorson. His name is all over the place.. will be interesting to see if Ben can pry him about from Medved.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:18 am Sergeant Rubetube is nearly impossible to take serious in this conversation. Fleck has done nothing. OK.

Hiring Ben Johnson is a huge step... his strengths first and foremost are his local connections. We'll see how it translates to being a head coach in the big ten. But there were other guys who were qualified for this job, Smith & Medved two realistic ones who I liked, they got passed over. Why? Coyle knew Smith had very little connections to local recruits right now (SAME ISSUE WITH GATES, who had many backers talking to Coyle but supposedly he backed away because he didn't believe he'd get the job here).

Not sure what happened with Smith, if he was just too late to the game and Ben was someone Coyle and Gabel focused on more once they talked to him last week.
He hasn't done anymore than Kill has at this point. A bit better of a season. As Feek pointed out, he was barely better than Claeys in the season some of you gasm over.

I heard Gates just simply didn't have any interest in this job but who knows. I would like to know what happened with Smith. He's my only question. I have no problem going Johnson over Medved.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Style

Post by Style »

A Johnson, Miles, Thorson, Al Harris staff would be the dream right now. Good diversity in all aspects.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
hategreenticemase

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:21 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:20 am His Assistant hires will be critical as well. He needs a very experienced guy who is good with X and O's. I also would love to see him add the long time former Delasalle Coach whose name escapes me. He was really good on Clem's staff and many I have talked to think very highly of him. Was it Thorson?
Dave Thorson. His name is all over the place.. will be interesting to see if Ben can pry him about from Medved.
I had a beer with Thorson once (long story, and it was over 10 years ago). He was entertaining as hell to talk to, had some good Clem story's.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:21 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:18 am Sergeant Rubetube is nearly impossible to take serious in this conversation. Fleck has done nothing. OK.

Hiring Ben Johnson is a huge step... his strengths first and foremost are his local connections. We'll see how it translates to being a head coach in the big ten. But there were other guys who were qualified for this job, Smith & Medved two realistic ones who I liked, they got passed over. Why? Coyle knew Smith had very little connections to local recruits right now (SAME ISSUE WITH GATES, who had many backers talking to Coyle but supposedly he backed away because he didn't believe he'd get the job here).

Not sure what happened with Smith, if he was just too late to the game and Ben was someone Coyle and Gabel focused on more once they talked to him last week.
He hasn't done anymore than Kill has at this point. A bit better of a season. As Feek pointed out, he was barely better than Claeys in the season some of you gasm over.

I heard Gates just simply didn't have any interest in this job but who knows. I would like to know what happened with Smith. He's my only question. I have no problem going Johnson over Medved.
Gates was set to interview and backed off. My assumption is because Coyle wanted local ties, Gates knew that so he went to focus on other options. Smith was not in tune with local recruits either.... Johnson has existing relationships with 2022 kids and SOLD Coyle and Gabel on that.
j2j

Post by j2j »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:06 am I like the hire. I will say emphatically, I have no idea on if he will get it done or not, and certainly its NOT some sort "man, I know he will do it". I like it for a lot of little reasons.

First, as a lifelong Gopher fan who really has had apathy set in last few years, let me state what my "goal" would be for the program. Pretend, for a minute, Clem didnt run into the nonsense at the end. Then, thats my goal - a program who is usually pretty good, once in a while is in legit conf title race and can make deep runs in tourney once in a while. Its never going to be MSU, but, what Clem had going right before the end was pretty good and damn fun. 1997 Gopher hoops is one of the funnest seasons of my lifetime as a sports fan. Fuck that was fun. Went to Indy, and completely loved it.

Secondly, lets remember two undeniable facts. 1. This was going to be a minority hire. There was no way around that, the heat they are getting is real. Not at all saying he was hired because he is a minority, I am saying a minority was going to be hired and thus that limits the pool of candidates. 2. It was going to be someone semi cheap. Coyle shit the damn bed with his panicked and asinine cutting sports last year. The pitchforks would have been out in full force had he went and got a 3-4M hire. Stupid and silly and very very short sighted decision to cut sports that handcuffed him big time. I will say I find his contract odd, seems like Coyle had leverage and should have exercised that more, but I dont know.

Here is what I like:

1. There has been LONG STANDING buzz about Johnson. People in his camp are HARD in his camp. Look at who is commenting. That should matter.
2. The biggest thing long touted was his being paramount in recruiting. We have to find a way to keep some of these kids here. I think his impact will be most in this singular aspect.
3. I think Coyle is right about needing someone who bleeds MN to be the one trying to do the selling. Success and wanting more money are fine motivators, and what would have been the motivators for another hire - this guy is a die hard, he is an alum, and his motivation is different. That to me is a big positive.
4. He supposedly has VERY good ties to the HS coaches here. That matters as well.
4. Now go back to what I said prior - goal for the program. I am not saying Johnson will do that, tbh I have no clue what his "coaching chops" are. That does matter. But, I will say this - the best chance for an outcome of a long term successful team like I described is a guy like this who this is his job. There is nowhere else he wants to go. This isnt a reason to hire someone (or more importantly to not hire the up and comer you fear then will just leave down the road), but it is a factor that is appealing.
This is a great take here.

A big thing no one else mentioned, is he's very unlikely to be using this to leap from to the next job. That's the shit we heard about Fleck and Pitino because they're not Minnesota guys. Ben wont be trying to use this to get the Florida job 5 years from now.

I really like Ben as a person. I've met with him a couple times. The love from HS and AAU coaches is 100% real because the dude goes out of his way to connect with everyone, even if they can't get him the top 5 recruit that second.

As some have said elsewhere, you dont necessarily need all Minnesota guys to be successful, but when you have one of the best and most underrated recruiting beds within a 30 minute radius, and you dont lock that shit down...? Like that's just common sense. It should be much easier and cheaper to get the PG from Champlin than getting a similar PG from New York City.

Basketball in the "State Of Hockey" is legit.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Style

Post by Style »

A GopherHole interview with Trevor Winter's kid. Has there ever been more of a lock to commit to MN? I'm thinking someone from Lakeville has an active restraining order on Pitino blocking him from making common sense visits.
Winter comes from an athletic family. His father, Trevor, played for Minnesota from 1993-97 and played one game with the Minnesota Timberwolves and with the Fargo-Moorhead Beez of the International Basketball Association and the La Crosse Bobcats of the Continental Basketball Association. His mother, the former Heidi Olhausen, played volleyball for the Gophers after a standout high school career at Lakeville.
GopherHole: What schools are you are you hearing from right now?

Nolan Winter: Wisconsin, Iowa. Just a couple. I know more will come.
GopherHole: The Gophers didn’t have quite the season they were hoping to and there might be a coaching change. What would it mean to maybe hear the home state school?

Nolan Winter: It would be amazing. Homestate, where my dad played, that would be really cool. It would be an honor.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Agreed. Dave Thorson. Not sure he comes back, though. He loves Colorado and working with Niko. But someone like that, an experienced coach, maybe former head coach, who doesn't need the first chair anymore.

hategreenticemase

j2j wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:37 am

Here is what I like:

A big thing no one else mentioned, is he's very unlikely to be using this to leap from to the next job. That's the shit we heard about Fleck and Pitino because they're not Minnesota guys. Ben wont be trying to use this to get the Florida job 5 years from now.

I really like Ben as a person. I've met with him a couple times. The love from HS and AAU coaches is 100% real because the dude goes out of his way to connect with everyone, even if they can't get him the top 5 recruit that second.

As some have said elsewhere, you dont necessarily need all Minnesota guys to be successful, but when you have one of the best and most underrated recruiting beds within a 30 minute radius, and you dont lock that shit down...? Like that's just common sense. It should be much easier and cheaper to get the PG from Champlin than getting a similar PG from New York City.

Yes, thats what I was saying with the underlined. His not wanting to use this to go elsewhere isnt a reason to hire him and the opposite (not hiring a guy who could be great due to fear of him using you for bigger opportunity) shouldnt a be a reason to not hire someone. But, its a damn appealing factor.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Style wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:27 am A Johnson, Miles, Thorson, Al Harris staff would be the dream right now. Good diversity in all aspects.
Absolutely. Harris has been campaigning for the opportunity for awhile too. And that locks up the D1 connection.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:40 am
Agreed. Dave Thorson. Not sure he comes back, though. He loves Colorado and working with Niko. But someone like that, an experienced coach, maybe former head coach, who doesn't need the first chair anymore.
Make him an offer he can't refuse.

j2j

Post by j2j »

Style wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:39 am A GopherHole interview with Trevor Winter's kid. Has there ever been more of a lock to commit to MN? I'm thinking someone from Lakeville has an active restraining order on Pitino blocking him from making common sense visits.
Winter comes from an athletic family. His father, Trevor, played for Minnesota from 1993-97 and played one game with the Minnesota Timberwolves and with the Fargo-Moorhead Beez of the International Basketball Association and the La Crosse Bobcats of the Continental Basketball Association. His mother, the former Heidi Olhausen, played volleyball for the Gophers after a standout high school career at Lakeville.

GopherHole: The Gophers didn’t have quite the season they were hoping to and there might be a coaching change. What would it mean to maybe hear the home state school?

Nolan Winter: It would be amazing. Homestate, where my dad played, that would be really cool. It would be an honor.
Pitino has never stepped foot in the Lakeville North gym. Just insane. Year after year one of the very best programs in the state, 3 high level D1 recruits, another in the pipeline... And never makes the 30 minute drive.

j2j

Post by j2j »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 am

Here is what I like:

Yes, thats what I was saying with the underlined. His not wanting to use this to go elsewhere isnt a reason to hire him and the opposite (not hiring a guy who could be great due to fear of him using you for bigger opportunity) shouldnt a be a reason to not hire someone. But, its a damn appealing factor.
Yeah, I was agreeing with you, commenting that few other people seem to grasp that. It's not the main reason you hire someone, but it feeds into wanting someone who can sell the program.

If Ben Johnson works out, you have your head coach for the next 20 years.

j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:20 am

Yep. I wanted Medved because of the local connections mainly. Ben doesn't have the head coaching experience but he checks off the local connections. Let's see what he can do. This basketball community is very odd, you can probably expand on it.

Why does a Minnesota kid get frustrated and leave the state because he wasn't offered early yet Wisconsin can offer the same time and bam, he's gone.
Often Wisconsin got there first, put in work early, even if they havent offered just yet. Plus, a lot of kids get frustrated the obvious offer hasn't come, so they jump elsewhere.

A lot of people were talking about Will Tschetter 2 years ago, and we let Michigan get him? You kidding me?

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:49 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:20 am

Often Wisconsin got there first, put in work early, even if they havent offered just yet. Plus, a lot of kids get frustrated the obvious offer hasn't come, so they jump elsewhere.

A lot of people were talking about Will Tschetter 2 years ago, and we let Michigan get him? You kidding me?
Yep, I said offer him immediately once I saw video. Given Michigan is stacked, he should reconsider now and maybe start at the 4 next year.

I saw someone asked Ryan James about Treyton Thompson.... the answer was obvious, he is staying committed here.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

j2j wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:45 am
Style wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:39 am A GopherHole interview with Trevor Winter's kid. Has there ever been more of a lock to commit to MN? I'm thinking someone from Lakeville has an active restraining order on Pitino blocking him from making common sense visits.

Pitino has never stepped foot in the Lakeville North gym. Just insane. Year after year one of the very best programs in the state, 3 high level D1 recruits, another in the pipeline... And never makes the 30 minute drive.
While Pitino was known to be morally sound and loyal to his closest people, there were rumors he was a huge douche and thought he was better than everyone else here and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Style

Post by Style »

There's a high enough quantity of quality talent in this state that there should really be that internal pressure to commit before the guy from X school takes that spot.

MN is too deep to keep all of the guys in-state. The lower level high major types should be committing on the spot if they want to stay home. We've treated those guys like shit through the years, and they've in turn treated the program like shit. That has to change.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:54 am

While Pitino was known to be morally sound and loyal to his closest people, there were rumors he was a huge douche and thought he was better than everyone else here and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
As a person, I think Pitino is top notch, quality dude. As a coach, especially in Minnesota, he definitely looked down on local talent.

full force five

Post by full force five »

Nolan Winter isn't there yet. I watched him play twice this year. He's probably 6'8" but thin, nice shooting stroke and handle. He could get there. The fact that Pitino hasn't contacted him is the reason he was fired. You need to get on these guys in 10th grade or sooner.

I feel like Dave Thorson will be on staff.

Will Tschetter . . . .who knows. Michigan has two 5 star power forwards in that class along with Will. I watched him play this summer while my son was play breakdown. He can shoot, handle and is filled out already.
hategreenticemase

j2j wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:47 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 am

Yeah, I was agreeing with you, commenting that few other people seem to grasp that. It's not the main reason you hire someone, but it feeds into wanting someone who can sell the program.

If Ben Johnson works out, you have your head coach for the next 20 years.
:thumbsup:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Get even 2 of the top 5 kids here each year and you're in business. Get 3 or 4 of the top 5, and that's a contender.
Let's get Tropical
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:26 am
j2j wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:17 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:07 am

He was still the PG.

I agree that I couldn't stand watching him play but he was the least of the problem here.

He was another guy that I heard at nauseam about "What a recruit" and how thi gs would change when he got here. It's always the story.
That was one of the main problems with the Gophers this year... Carr was the PG. Put him next to a legit PG who can actually run a team and you'd have seen a world of difference.

You seem quite obsessed with winning the press conference, making the big splashy newspaper headline type stuff. Like you need someone else to tell you what's what.
No I don't. Most fans are not happy with this hire.
Most fans are morons. This hire may end up backfiring but nothing locked in stone.
Last edited by Slap Shot on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Watched the press conference. I like it, Ben is well spoken, and impressive. He's 40 years old, not a kid but young enough to connect to today's high school player. Let's go!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Interesting.

Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:54 am

There is a reason Ben Johnson left here during the Pitino era.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:30 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:26 am
j2j wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:17 am

That was one of the main problems with the Gophers this year... Carr was the PG. Put him next to a legit PG who can actually run a team and you'd have seen a world of difference.

You seem quite obsessed with winning the press conference, making the big splashy newspaper headline type stuff. Like you need someone else to tell you what's what.
No I don't. Most fans are not happy with this hire.
Most fans are morons. This hire may end up backfiring but nothing locked in stone.
Also worth pointing out these fans didn't attend games during the Pitino era, won't attend games now either. Too bad, so sad. Get some good local talent in there and people who love basketball will attend.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!