Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***official back in the day vikings thread***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
weimy froob

Re: ***official back in the day vikings thread***

Post by weimy froob »

50 years ago it was another loss in cincy.

dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

The Bengals have always been a pain in the ass, even when the Vikings beat them.

"Viking quarterback Fran Tarkenton set a one-game passing accuracy record, then suffered a fracture of a leg bone that probably will sideline him the rest of the season, putting a damper on Minnesota's 42-10 thrashing of the Cincinnati Bengals today."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... a550bba45/

I believe that is also the game that Bud Grant went ballistic on the refs, which you just never saw.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

okay the last one of the night. the vikings were outplayed in this game stat-wise and then they got hail mary'd. still worth another look though.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it's the 4th and 16 play that was the killer. first of all it wouldn't have been a catch in today's game. second of all i don't think he's going to get that foot down anyways. oh well--water under a long ago bridge.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

dennis1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:42 pm The Bengals have always been a pain in the ass, even when the Vikings beat them.

"Viking quarterback Fran Tarkenton set a one-game passing accuracy record, then suffered a fracture of a leg bone that probably will sideline him the rest of the season, putting a damper on Minnesota's 42-10 thrashing of the Cincinnati Bengals today."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... a550bba45/

I believe that is also the game that Bud Grant went ballistic on the refs, which you just never saw.
The first year I totally followed the VIkings was 1973. They rolled into Cinci with a 10-1 record and got stomped 0-27.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:25 pm here's a good one. got a few more that will get posted later tonight. just press play.

I love these old timey montages. Summerall has the perfect voice for it along with the long time NFL films guy and Cossell.

I had no idea the throwing snowballs at Santa happened that far back and was during a game the Vikings played.

I searched and couldn't find any actual video. I did not find this:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

So, strange deal - I'm on YouTube this am and for some random reason, in my feed is a 1999 Vikes at Bears game. So, I watch a few mins and go to end of game, and Gary Anderson actually missed a 20 yard fn FG at end of reg. He eventually won it in OT.

For the life of me I can't remember that - do you guys? How do go an entire year of no missed kicks in 98 and missed an extra point to win a game in 99? :lol:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

sir francis getting his teeth knocked out.

hategreenticemase

weimy froob wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:21 pm sir francis getting his teeth knocked out.

Good Lord! :lol:

That was a different world. Can you imagine that exact late hir and to the head today? That DEay have been terminated on the sideline. :lol:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

never saw this little clip before.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this is a purple squad that had true SB aspirations. instead it was a first round exit on a cold minnesota winter day. listened to this game on the radio because home games were blacked out back in the day.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a year earlier to the day and a better result.

hategreenticemase

weimy froob wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:02 am a year earlier to the day and a better result.

We PWNED the Rams in the 70s.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:02 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:02 am a year earlier to the day and a better result.

We PWNED the Rams in the 70s.
that was a very good comeback win. very close to not being a safety for moose. great interception by page to seal it. i can still remember the anguish from that 49er game of my youth (the earlier clip). freddie the foot cox really cost them in that one. bruce taylor hasn't been forgotten either. pretty sure paul hornung was the color guy on the radio. anguish is the right word for that one. hoping against hope after the 49ers made it a two score game. knowing that it was all but over--but listening to the bitter end.

jack whitaker takes a shot at the purple at the end of the clip--bringing up joe kapp. big mistake by bud not bringing him back--i don't care what mlhouse thinks about that. boston/new england was where QBs went to die in those years--just ask jim plunkett.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another viking playoff win against the rams. this time in LA.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

One of the best football names, Jack Snow. He was the VIkings first round pick in 1965 but we traded the Snow to LA for Gary Larsen.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

revenge game. joe sliced and diced up a very good vikings defense.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

one of the classic NFL films clips narrated by the voice of God at the end. just press play.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:57 pm one of the classic NFL films clips narrated by the voice of God at the end. just press play.

God I hated fucking Hank Stram.
hategreenticemase

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:05 pm
weimy froob wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:57 pm one of the classic NFL films clips narrated by the voice of God at the end. just press play.

God I hated fucking Hank Stram.
He was a classic. Took ol Horseshoe Harry to school.

He was a good radio analyst, I remember he would predict plays out of formations all the time.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:05 am
LOL...

"He was tough!" The moment that's uttered he got smacked to the ground and stayed down longer than it takes me to take a dump! :lol:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I personally do not glorify that from the old days of the NFL. It was stupid. I am not sure what year the above clip was from, I am sure I can figure it out because it is a combination of Bill Brown, Dave Osborn and Jim Vellone (#63 our starting RG who died within a couple of years of this from leukemia and Ed White told me was the toughest mfo in the offensive line). But Joe Kapp's NFL career was over within 2 years. These types of cheap hits combined with the relative primitive medical procedures of the day meant a short NFL career for most players.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:24 pm
I personally do not glorify that from the old days of the NFL. It was stupid. I am not sure what year the above clip was from, I am sure I can figure it out because it is a combination of Bill Brown, Dave Osborn and Jim Vellone (#63 our starting RG who died within a couple of years of this from leukemia and Ed White told me was the toughest mfo in the offensive line). But Joe Kapp's NFL career was over within 2 years. These types of cheap hits combined with the relative primitive medical procedures of the day meant a short NFL career for most players.
LOL...just noticed that no one went after that number 64 for his outrageously late hit, and also noticed the referee...thought he was going up to see if Joe was ok but instead he just reached in to grab the ball out of our fallen QB's hands! :lol:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'll finish this later. the voice of God narrating.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i think this team was the one that had the best chance for the franchise to win the SB. not the 98-99 team.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »