Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***official back in the day vikings thread***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
weimy froob

Re: ***official back in the day vikings thread***

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:23 am
weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:28 pm
what they went with didn't work. the three SB teams with fran didn't have the defense of those 69-71 teams. they were run over in every super bowl. kapp might have been able to get them over the hump. the failure in new england is neither here nor there when you wonder what he might have done with that vikings defense.
Bud Grant was an outstanding evaluator of talent. He knew Kapp was done. And Kapp was done. Too much beating on his body. Like I said, in 1967 when he came to the NFL he was a 29 year old rookie. He was an old man in 1970 by NFL standards. He did not start off with a high level of elite QB skills, so the injuries deteriorated those skills rapidly.

The VIkings went 12-2 and 11-3 in the two non-Kapp pre-Tarkenton II. The Niners and Cowboys, the two teams that beat them in the playoffs in 1970 and 1971 respectively, were great teams in an era of dominant teams.

I remember listening to the 1971 Christmas playoff game on the radio riding up to my grandmas house with my parents. It was a very cold day in Minnesota.
me too. home games were blacked out back then. i think they won 10 straight games in 1970. kapp couldn't have done any worse than what they had for QBs. we'll never know if he could have gotten them a SB win--but we do know the other QBs couldn't. he did get them to the SB the year before--so for him to totally lose it the next year doesn't sound plausible. that was also a very winnable SB game. a mistake filled contest eventually won by the colts. i think bud/the vikings blew it by not bringing joe back.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:50 am
me too. home games were blacked out back then. i think they won 10 straight games in 1970. kapp couldn't have done any worse than what they had for QBs. we'll never know if he could have gotten them a SB win--but we do know the other QBs couldn't. he did get them to the SB the year before--so for him to totally lose it the next year doesn't sound plausible. that was also a very winnable SB game. a mistake filled contest eventually won by the colts. i think bud/the vikings blew it by not bringing joe back.
He did totally lose it the next year. The Patriots were a 2-12 team in 1970 and Kapp did not make it through the season, and never played another down. Again, what I think you are forgetting is that Kapp was 32 years old at the time in an era that didn't have the sports medicine technology they had today.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

team MVP previous season. next season totally lost it? not buying it. i've watched a few of the highlights of those patriot games from this week in pro football clips on youtube. they were a bad team that he was sent to. the vikings won 23 games in two years without an established #1 quarterback. the defense carried the team--but it could only carry them so far. if they had #11 behind center you just don't know how things would have turned out.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

brutal.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a great career for a guy taken in the seventh round. Jordan was the Vikings 7th round pick (179th overall) in the 1982 NFL draft.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Nightfly

Post by Nightfly »

Just heard a reference to the 1998 Vikings on SNF. Baltimore has one of the longest-ever streaks -- to start a season -- of games in which a team has led at the end of 3 quarters. They have now done that in their first 12 games this season.

The record? Minnesota, 25 years ago. They led going into the 4th Qtr of all 16 games that season.

:thinking: :|
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

46 years ago today.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

one of the most dominant vikings defenses in franchise history here. too bad they didn't have joe kapp at QB.

BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:09 pm one of the most dominant vikings defenses in franchise history here. too bad they didn't have joe kapp at QB.

Marlin McKeever ~ LBr traded to Washington, who drafted him out of Iowa in the 2nd round 3 years prior I think.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another this week in the NFL game. one where the vikings probably deserved a better fate.
they were undefeated going into the week 11 contest against the redskins. definitely worth
watching. just press play.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another NFL game of the week with a better ending for purple fans. also a top five regular season W in franchise history imo.

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:09 pm another NFL game of the week with a better ending for purple fans. also a top five regular season W in franchise history imo.

Watched the whole thing Weimy and it was bittersweet. The comeback was remarkable and we got a glance of the potential of a young Tommy Kramer. The sad part was seeing an AWFULLY old team, especially on the defense, a team that was now a year removed from the last Super Bowl this franchise ever participated in.....that was 46 years ago. :cry:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

pretty sure that was two minute tommy's first regular season game as a pro. i remember listening to the game.
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:09 pm another NFL game of the week with a better ending for purple fans. also a top five regular season W in franchise history imo.

I was lucky enough to be at that game, and happy that didn't do what half the crowd did and leave early.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

dennis1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:41 am

I was lucky enough to be at that game, and happy that didn't do what half the crowd did and leave early.
:thumbsup:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:30 pm another this week in the NFL game. one where the vikings probably deserved a better fate.
they were undefeated going into the week 11 contest against the redskins. definitely worth
watching. just press play.

imho such a more fun brand of football to watch, even if technically today's players are more skilled. Even in this there was so much skill to be had, plenty of innovation and a serious lack of show-boating.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I too was at this game thanks to my dad having season tickets for about 11 years. We had end zone seats at the opposite end the White scored into. Imagine if the Vikings had a stadium built by today's standards even for the outdoors? They might still be playing in it.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the purple taken to the woodshed in this one. there's a renaldo nehemiah clip in this for those that remember him. also joey making a couple of tackles in the end zone.

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:36 am the purple taken to the woodshed in this one. there's a renaldo nehemiah clip in this for those that remember him. also joey making a couple of tackles in the end zone.

Renaldo was a better high hurdler than a football player...

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:46 am
weimy froob wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:36 am the purple taken to the woodshed in this one. there's a renaldo nehemiah clip in this for those that remember him. also joey making a couple of tackles in the end zone.

Renaldo was a better high hurdler than a football player...

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
he got pushed real good there to break the record. second must have been close to under 13 seconds too.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Back in the day it was the players that would get DUIs.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:57 pm

I too was at this game thanks to my dad having season tickets for about 11 years. We had end zone seats at the opposite end the White scored into. Imagine if the Vikings had a stadium built by today's standards even for the outdoors? They might still be playing in it.
Tommy Kramer
@Kramer9Tommy
I remember calling Burnsie up in the booth before the last drive, I say… Burnsie, what do you got? He said… I don’t know, what do you got? lol
I said the safety has been playing too far up, I think I can hit Sammy on a fly. Burnsie says….. great play! 😀
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

here's a good one. got a few more that will get posted later tonight. just press play.

dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:25 pm here's a good one. got a few more that will get posted later tonight. just press play.

Back in the days we felt pretty good with a 14-point lead.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

dennis1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:46 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:25 pm here's a good one. got a few more that will get posted later tonight. just press play.

disappointed that we didn't get to see santa pelted with snowballs in that clip though. i thought i saw that before--but didn't know the vikings were in the game. i just remember a few snowballs being thrown--i could be remembering wrong.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this is a good clip. almost 10 minutes long--but well worth the watch.

dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:48 pm
dennis1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:46 pm

disappointed that we didn't get to see santa pelted with snowballs in that clip though. i thought i saw that before--but didn't know the vikings were in the game. i just remember a few snowballs being thrown--i could be remembering wrong.
And who could forget the snowball in Buffalo that probably cost Chuck Foreman the triple crown, and perhaps a spot in the Hall of Fame.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

This is what we needed today:
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:17 pm This is what we needed today:
Amen.