Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***official back in the day vikings thread***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
weimy froob

Re: ***official back in the day vikings thread***

Post by weimy froob »

more on the burnsie press conference.

Jason Wilde
@jasonjwilde
Is that @Patrick_Reusse I hear with the final question? 👏

Patrick Reusse
@Patrick_Reusse
One of my proudest moments as a dedicated journalist.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Still hate that Denny latched onto the Steak over Gannon.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

always worth watching. just press play.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

This original tweet conjured up my own memory of being at the 1983 MNF game vs. Dallas when Dorsett ran for a 99-yard TD (which included some of the worst tackling ever seen by the Vikings including Willie Fucking Teal), the Vikings blew an 11-point lead but won it at the end by a Kramer TD pass to one of my favorite Vikings ever Ricky Young, but the scrawl from the replay reminded me of another very memorable MIN-NYG game that I hadn't thought about in a very long time:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i still remember listening to this game on the radio (home games were blacked out in those days) and feeling the agony of that defeat. team would have a disappointing 7-7 season before going on to two straight super bowl appearances. the perfect season coulda, woulda, shoulda been over in this one.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

25 years ago today.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:52 pm
Fred said the equipment guy went to get the purple jerseys and that the traffic was heavy...I call BS, a Sunday afternoon in 1964 probably didn't have much in the way of traffic at all.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

some chris doleman highlights.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

if you have a little time--here you go.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:37 pm if you have a little time--here you go.

-Fred Cox short on a 42-yd FG attempt by at least 5 yards :lol:
-Don't let Osborne return kicks anymore
-My Pop Warner field was in better condition
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:31 am
weimy froob wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:37 pm if you have a little time--here you go.

-Fred Cox short on a 42-yd FG attempt by at least 5 yards :lol:
-Don't let Osborne return kicks anymore
-My Pop Warner field was in better condition
tommy mason fumbled three times. good clip. lots of action in that 23 plus minutes.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

here's another game of the week feature. watch the vikings take on the packers in their dynasty heyday. or not. it's up to you.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a thanksgiving day play the year alan page won the MVP.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:44 am a thanksgiving day play the year alan page won the MVP.

I just watched the 1969 NFL Championship game Minnesota v Cleveland on youtube last night. Kapp to Washington.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:36 am
weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:44 am a thanksgiving day play the year alan page won the MVP.

I just watched the 1969 NFL Championship game Minnesota v Cleveland on youtube last night. Kapp to Washington.
i'll have to watch that sometime. your post got me thinking and i was thinking wrong when i said page was the MVP that year. the word kapp was the key. anyways.

In 1971, Alan Page became the first defensive player named NFL Most Valuable Player.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

also i think one of the biggest, if not the biggest, mistakes the vikings organization ever made was not re-signing joe kapp. there were SBs to be won in the 1970 and 71 seasons with that defense. mediocre QB play resulted in first round playoff losses at home instead.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:14 am also i think one of the biggest, if not the biggest, mistakes the vikings organization ever made was not re-signing joe kapp. there were SBs to be won in the 1970 and 71 seasons with that defense. mediocre QB play resulted in first round playoff losses at home instead.
Joe Kapp's career was over after one miserable 2-12 season in New England. He played 11 games with the Patriots, and 1970 was the last year of his NFL career. You have to remember, Kapp came to the NFL from the CFL in 1967 as a 29 year old rookie. In 1970, he was 32 years old in an era they did not have the medical technology they have today and Kapp wasn't exactly a technical passer to begin with. He relied on his toughness that made him the leader he was.

Also, back in those days, if a team lost a free agent to another team, the NFL awarded compensation to the team losing the free agent. The Vikings received the Patriots 1972 first round draft pick as compensation for losing Kapp. That pick was the 10th overall in 1972 and the Vikings selected Jeff Siemon with the pick who became a pro bowl level player and they traded with the Giants in the same year to bring Fran back.

They had really bad luck in 1972, going just 7-7 and everyone talked about how mediocre Fran was just like they talk about Cousins. But the next several years were the greatest in the history of the team.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:23 pm
weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:14 am also i think one of the biggest, if not the biggest, mistakes the vikings organization ever made was not re-signing joe kapp. there were SBs to be won in the 1970 and 71 seasons with that defense. mediocre QB play resulted in first round playoff losses at home instead.
Joe Kapp's career was over after one miserable 2-12 season in New England. He played 11 games with the Patriots, and 1970 was the last year of his NFL career. You have to remember, Kapp came to the NFL from the CFL in 1967 as a 29 year old rookie. In 1970, he was 32 years old in an era they did not have the medical technology they have today and Kapp wasn't exactly a technical passer to begin with. He relied on his toughness that made him the leader he was.

Also, back in those days, if a team lost a free agent to another team, the NFL awarded compensation to the team losing the free agent. The Vikings received the Patriots 1972 first round draft pick as compensation for losing Kapp. That pick was the 10th overall in 1972 and the Vikings selected Jeff Siemon with the pick who became a pro bowl level player and they traded with the Giants in the same year to bring Fran back.

They had really bad luck in 1972, going just 7-7 and everyone talked about how mediocre Fran was just like they talk about Cousins. But the next several years were the greatest in the history of the team.
what they went with didn't work. the three SB teams with fran didn't have the defense of those 69-71 teams. they were run over in every super bowl. kapp might have been able to get them over the hump. the failure in new england is neither here nor there when you wonder what he might have done with that vikings defense.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Vikings / Dallas on the NFL channel now.
My body, my choice.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:28 pm
what they went with didn't work. the three SB teams with fran didn't have the defense of those 69-71 teams. they were run over in every super bowl. kapp might have been able to get them over the hump. the failure in new england is neither here nor there when you wonder what he might have done with that vikings defense.
Bud Grant was an outstanding evaluator of talent. He knew Kapp was done. And Kapp was done. Too much beating on his body. Like I said, in 1967 when he came to the NFL he was a 29 year old rookie. He was an old man in 1970 by NFL standards. He did not start off with a high level of elite QB skills, so the injuries deteriorated those skills rapidly.

The VIkings went 12-2 and 11-3 in the two non-Kapp pre-Tarkenton II. The Niners and Cowboys, the two teams that beat them in the playoffs in 1970 and 1971 respectively, were great teams in an era of dominant teams.

I remember listening to the 1971 Christmas playoff game on the radio riding up to my grandmas house with my parents. It was a very cold day in Minnesota.