Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Geno Atkins

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: Geno Atkins

Post by Beef Supreme »

Who do we dump to make room for him?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

James Lynch.

Left Defensive End
LDE1: Danielle Hunter
LDE2: Everson Griffen
LDE3: Patrick Jones II

Right Defensive End
RDE1: Stephen Weatherly
RDE2: D.J. Wonnum

Nose Tackle
NT1: Michael Pierce
NT2: Armon Watts

3-Tech Defensive Tackle
3DT1: Dalvin Tomlinson
3DT2: Sheldon Richardson
3DT3: James Lynch
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:05 pm

I’m calling bs, there is just no room for him
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

SKOLMN wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:00 pm

Who knows?

Seattle probably needs him more, but there’s the Zimmer connection here…

The only DL I’d be happy to dump is weatherly, but dumping him and adding Atkins makes us really unbalanced at DL with 6 tackles and 4 ends.

I think Stu is right and Lynch would be the odd man out and I’m still kinda intrigued with him. Maybe we dump someone else somewhere and keep 11 DL?

I know chisensa made the 53, but then got IR’d. Did we fill his spot already?

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:13 pm

Who knows?

The only DL I’d be happy to dump is weatherly, but dumping him and adding Atkins makes us really unbalanced at DL with 6 tackles and 4 ends.

I think Stu is right and Lynch would be the odd man out and I’m still kinda intrigued with him. Maybe we dump someone else somewhere and keep 11 DL?

Lynch is never going to amount to anything. I have no problem getting Atkins in here over someone like Lynch.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:16 pm

Who knows?

Lynch is never going to amount to anything. I have no problem getting Atkins in here over someone like Lynch.
Maybe not. Not sure we really need Atkins here either.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:29 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:16 pm

Who knows?

Maybe not. Not sure we really need Atkins here either.
I don't know why we need him either but I would definitely swap him over Lynch or Chisena.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Coach Guy

Post by Coach Guy »

I'd love to see it. Lynch hasn't shown anything.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

When will he play? They have Richardson, pierce, and Tomlinson. Weatherly and Griffen also have exp rushing from dt.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Obi-Wan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:47 am When will he play? They have Richardson, pierce, and Tomlinson. Weatherly and Griffen also have exp rushing from dt.
This. Pass downs I'd like to see EG get some reps inside. That was very impactfup last go round.

This seems strange to me. Not against it, just isn't clear what the plan would be.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

We can probably still get Lynch down to the PS.
He didn't show much of anything this preseason, and I know of at least one 4th rd pick THIS year that was cut and went unclaimed, so I don't think teams are that eager anymore to throw a claim at someone just because they were highly drafted in the recent past.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Cut Lynch… add Atkins. Easy decision for me.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:25 am
Obi-Wan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:47 am When will he play? They have Richardson, pierce, and Tomlinson. Weatherly and Griffen also have exp rushing from dt.
This. Pass downs I'd like to see EG get some reps inside. That was very impactfup last go round.

This seems strange to me. Not against it, just isn't clear what the plan would be.
And it’s just a rumor at this point. We have no idea if the team is actually seriously considering it or not.

It’s a rumor worth talking about, but it’s just a rumor for now.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Coach Guy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:37 am I'd love to see it. Lynch hasn't shown anything.
He’s a 4th rounder entering his second year.

What should he have shown by now?

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:48 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:25 am

And it’s just a rumor at this point. We have no idea if the team is actually seriously considering it or not.

It’s a rumor worth talking about, but it’s just a rumor for now.
Yeah to be honest I hadn't heard anything so assumed this was possibly happening the way was being talked about here. Come to think about it seems like we are rumored to get Atkins about every 6 weeks! :lol:
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Money better spent elsewhere.

No snaps for him.
Marshall70

Post by Marshall70 »

The Vikings have this all figured out with the new COVID era rules. He'll first be added as an assistant coach under the "coach to active roster exemption rule". (The "Rooney Rule" happens to be complied with in this case so no problem there.) As of exactly 3:01 pm the following day, he can be added to the active roster without counting towards the 53.

Also, to avoid salary cap implications, he will be paid in the form of a donation to the NFL Elderly Player fund. After the third week of the season, since he is over the age of 32, the donation will be converted to his salary without being counted toward the salary cap. Brilliant!

Now, since all of these moves must contain a special teams component, Atkins will have to serve as the field goal holder for at least the first game. This should be fine because he has quick hands and the Bengals will be afraid to attempt a block.

All very simple really, child's play for Spiel-stein and Brassiere-inski...
Last edited by Marshall70 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coach Guy

Post by Coach Guy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:50 am
Coach Guy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:37 am I'd love to see it. Lynch hasn't shown anything.

A flash of something. Some confidence in him by the coaches. Anything. Wonnum for example showed flashes and the coaches clearly like him.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Coach Guy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:20 pm

A flash of something. Some confidence in him by the coaches. Anything. Wonnum for example showed flashes and the coaches clearly like him.
So you’re ready to dump a 22 year-old All-American and Big-12 Defensive Player of the Year who was a college DE drafted in the fourth round with the intent to move to DT for a 33 year-old guy nobody wants that we don’t need because he hasn’t flashed enough?

- Isaac Asimov
Coach Guy

Post by Coach Guy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:17 pm

So you’re ready to dump a 22 year-old All-American and Big-12 Defensive Player of the Year who was a college DE drafted in the fourth round with the intent to move to DT for a 33 year-old guy nobody wants that we don’t need because he hasn’t flashed enough?
He would be a fine practice squad candidate. Lynch is already hanging on by a thread. He played both DT and DE in college. 4th round picks becoming multi year starters are about 1 in 10. Would ANYONE have been surprised if Lynch was cut and moved to the practice squad? I don't think so. I'm cool with whatever they decide, but if we are really in on Atkins I love that.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Coach Guy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:26 pm

He would be a fine practice squad candidate. Lynch is already hanging on by a thread. He played both DT and DE in college. 4th round picks becoming multi year starters are about 1 in 10. Would ANYONE have been surprised if Lynch was cut and moved to the practice squad? I don't think so. I'm cool with whatever they decide, but if we are really in on Atkins I love that.
I grant that there’s a better than 50/50 chance that Atkins is more ready to help a team this year than Lynch.

But for us, when does Atkins play? He’d probably be a candidate to be deactivated weekly unless there are injuries.

Lunch might not do much either this year. But he might be around for years to come.

I’d get it if we needed Geno. But we don’t.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Lynch has been a disappointment to say the least, but it does not really seem like he has been given a lot of opportunity.

He might be one of those types of prospects were that could compete within the physical/athletic envelope in college but was outside of that at the NFL level. In other words, at the NCAA level he had just enough athleticism to make his other skills, techniques, and experience work. But at the NFL level he is just does not have enough athleticism to make it work. I assumed that moving inside in the NFL would have some learning curve, but I thought it was something he would be able to do.

TO add athleticism would probably mean he would have to lose weight, but if he lost weight he could not play inside on the dLine.

The draft is an art, it is not a science. James Lynch was a very appropriate 4th round pick. I thought he could be a stud, but some of the factors need to play out and cannot be predicted with certainty. Maybe some more work and he can be someone who contributes. Or maybe that is just htat.
Coach Guy

Post by Coach Guy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:21 pm

I grant that there’s a better than 50/50 chance that Atkins is more ready to help a team this year than Lynch.

But for us, when does Atkins play? He’d probably be a candidate to be deactivated weekly unless there are injuries.

Lunch might not do much either this year. But he might be around for years to come.

Nice to be able to rotate bodies on the Dline, but I will agree as of this moment I don't see a path to much playing time for him. Still a quiet leader type that I like to have around. In a perfect world Lynch becomes something just not holding my breath. Our DT's were TERRIBLE last year and he still couldn't even flash
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:38 pm

Lynch has been a disappointment to say the least, but it does not really seem like he has been given a lot of opportunity.

He might be one of those types of prospects were that could compete within the physical/athletic envelope in college but was outside of that at the NFL level. In other words, at the NCAA level he had just enough athleticism to make his other skills, techniques, and experience work. But at the NFL level he is just does not have enough athleticism to make it work. I assumed that moving inside in the NFL would have some learning curve, but I thought it was something he would be able to do.

TO add athleticism would probably mean he would have to lose weight, but if he lost weight he could not play inside on the dLine.

The draft is an art, it is not a science. James Lynch was a very appropriate 4th round pick. I thought he could be a stud, but some of the factors need to play out and cannot be predicted with certainty. Maybe some more work and he can be someone who contributes. Or maybe that is just htat.
Maybe.

But clearly the Vikes have not yet made that determination. He's on the roster and they did not try to sneak him to the PS.

I agree with the analysis, maybe he’s not athletic enough. But maybe he is. I’m not eager to give up on finding out to get Geno Atkins, a player still on the street in September, in here to be our DT5 for a year.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:42 pm
mlhouse wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:38 pm

Maybe.

But clearly the Vikes have not yet made that determination. He's on the roster and they did not try to sneak him to the PS.

I agree with the analysis, maybe he’s not athletic enough. But maybe he is. I’m not eager to give up on finding out to get Geno Atkins, a player still on the street in September, in here to be our DT5 for a year.
I am inclined to agree. To keep him on the roster means that they see something in Lynch. Since he has not really done anything in games, even in preseason games he was hardly on the field, they must evaluate his practice and like what they see. Zimmer would cut him if he thought he could not play in the NFL.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Coach Guy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:39 pm

Nice to be able to rotate bodies on the Dline, but I will agree as of this moment I don't see a path to much playing time for him. Still a quiet leader type that I like to have around. In a perfect world Lynch becomes something just not holding my breath. Our DT's were TERRIBLE last year and he still couldn't even flash
Tomlinson and Pierce are the starters. Watts and Richardson are the backups. They can all rotate. Weatherly and Griffen can play inside in obvious passing situations too. That’s a lot of rotating already.

- Isaac Asimov
Coach Guy

Post by Coach Guy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:44 pm

Tomlinson and Pierce are the starters. Watts and Richardson are the backups. They can all rotate. Weatherly and Griffen can play inside in obvious passing situations too. That’s a lot of rotating already.
Sure, but one injury away from replacing any of the names you just mentioned on any given week.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Coach Guy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:08 pm

Sure, but one injury away from replacing any of the names you just mentioned on any given week.
That is always true for all positions always.

It’s no reason to give up on a 22 year-old that you like.

- Isaac Asimov
Coach Guy

Post by Coach Guy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:12 pm

Not sure how much they like him when they signed 2 free agents this offseason in order to take his playing time and pushed him to the very edge of the depth chart. If they liked him you'd think they would create a clear path to playing time for him.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Coach Guy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:17 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:12 pm

Not sure how much they like him when they signed 2 free agents this offseason in order to take his playing time and pushed him to the very edge of the depth chart. If they liked him you'd think they would create a clear path to playing time for him.
They kept him on the 53.

I think they like him long-term might be more accurate. Richardson is on a one-year deal.

- Isaac Asimov