Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Chris Finch -Wolves Head Coach Thread***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
flexbuffchest

Re: ***Official Chris Finch -Wolves Head Coach Thread***

Post by flexbuffchest »

Started 16-20 with an ortg of 107.2 and drtg of 108.1 And netrtg of -0.9

Gone 20-9 with an ortg of 119 (by far best in the league) and drtg of 113.2 and a netrtg of 5.8 (7th highest during that span)
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:14 am Started 16-20 with an ortg of 107.2 and drtg of 108.1 And netrtg of -0.9

Gone 20-9 with an ortg of 119 (by far best in the league) and drtg of 113.2 and a netrtg of 5.8 (7th highest during that span)
Good stuff. Stay the course and this is indeed a top 4 seeded team next year.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Still hard to believe that Ryan Saunders was allowed to be head coach here....gotta be in the top 3 or 4 of worst Timberpup mistakes in their history.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:14 am Started 16-20 with an ortg of 107.2 and drtg of 108.1 And netrtg of -0.9

I know it sounds stupid but Finch is perfectly in the middle between Thibs and Saunders. Players don't need to fear you, players don't need to be your bff, they simply just respect you. The way it should be.

He's done great, now if only he would play Nowell more...
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

So has Finch gained his good will back?

:lol:
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

his team had a lot of fun last night--especially cheering on the deep bench. chemistry seems off the charts.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

I loved Finch’s answer to this Q.

Q: Is it disheartening watching the teams immediately in front of you in the standings keep winning?

A: No because we can’t control how they play. That’s why I don’t watch them. I had a nice dinner at Spoon & Stable last night.

Finch rules.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

thinktank wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:29 am I loved Finch’s answer to this Q.

Q: Is it disheartening watching the teams immediately in front of you in the standings keep winning?

A: No because we can’t control how they play. That’s why I don’t watch them. I had a nice dinner at Spoon & Stable last night.

Finch rules.
He's like Pop without being a total dick. :lol:
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:59 am
thinktank wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:29 am I loved Finch’s answer to this Q.

Finch rules.
He's like Pop without being a total dick. :lol:
He kind of is. When he gave that answer he had a slight Pop-ish grin at the end.

Rosie said she would rather see Pop’s potential last Target Center game than Bron or anybody else play. My baby!

Gonna get some good seats behind their bench.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I was honestly looking at tickets for the Spurs game just last night. Didn't even consider the Pop angle.
Jean Claude Van Damme

Post by Jean Claude Van Damme »

Unbelievable how Finch has gotten this team to buy in to defense.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Jean Claude Van Damme wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:21 am Unbelievable how Finch has gotten this team to buy in to defense.
Watched a youtube how Finch has DLO playing the roaming defender. It exposes the team against teams with lots of shooters but teams lacking shooters, it's been working very well. He denies passing lanes and protects the paint a lot and leaves guys in the corner daring them to shoot.

They were a top 10 defense stat wise for much of the season.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:40 am
Jean Claude Van Damme wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:21 am Unbelievable how Finch has gotten this team to buy in to defense.
Watched a youtube how Finch has DLO playing the roaming defender. It exposes the team against teams with lots of shooters but teams lacking shooters, it's been working very well. He denies passing lanes and protects the paint a lot and leaves guys in the corner daring them to shoot.

They were a top 10 defense stat wise for much of the season.
It's a good strategy because DLO he's typically not much of a man defender. Especially against any quicker guards.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

The WOlves defense is much improved, but they are still 20th in the NBA in giving up points.

On the other hand, the Minnesota Timberwolves are now 1st in the NBA in points per game. Historically, the Wolves have only been in the top 5 in offense twice: 2013-14 under Adelman were they were 3rd and 1997-98, their first winning season under Flip when they were 2nd in the NBA in ppg.
Jean Claude Van Damme

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:43 pm
The WOlves defense is much improved, but they are still 20th in the NBA in giving up points.

On the other hand, the Minnesota Timberwolves are now 1st in the NBA in points per game. Historically, the Wolves have only been in the top 5 in offense twice: 2013-14 under Adelman were they were 3rd and 1997-98, their first winning season under Flip when they were 2nd in the NBA in ppg.
They are number 1 in pace so they lead the league in opportunities/possessions to score for both teams. They are 13th best in the league in defensive FG%. Does that not give you the reason why they are 20th in points allowed which is just a gross stat that doesn't show the complete picture?

Also, you can't tell by just watching them play? It's pretty obvious to me.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:26 am his team had a lot of fun last night--especially cheering on the deep bench. chemistry seems off the charts.
pete mentioned the word "chemistry" last night. this team is together right now through the real good times. stay together when things get more difficult and then let's see what happens come playoff team.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Jean Claude Van Damme wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:27 am
mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:43 pm

They are number 1 in pace so they lead the league in opportunities/possessions to score for both teams. They are 13th best in the league in defensive FG%. Does that not give you the reason why they are 20th in points allowed which is just a gross stat that doesn't show the complete picture?

Also, you can't tell by just watching them play? It's pretty obvious to me.
This is the correct take. Average those out to about 10th best team.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:05 am
weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:26 am his team had a lot of fun last night--especially cheering on the deep bench. chemistry seems off the charts.
pete mentioned the word "chemistry" last night. this team is together right now through the real good times. stay together when things get more difficult and then let's see what happens come playoff team.
So glad they didn’t blow up their depth and chemistry by making a trade before the deadline. If next year, Balmaro is able to fill McLaughlin’s role, the defense will be that much better. Add free agent pickups and draft picks…this team could be very good for a long stretch.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jmac should still be here next year - has one more year on the deal and is playing well. He's alright in certain matchups defensively as well. finch had nothing but praise about how jmac stuck to curry in that last GSW game.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Having Towns back in rotation after 3 early fouls was pretty questionable and could have made a bigger impact on the game. Also he made a couple weird choices in this game. Hope he gets on the guys for horrible FT's tonight and gets back to winning bball.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I think he's an ight coach but I don't think he's great.

Pretty good for our standards.

I think Adelman was the best coach we've had here and it isn't very close. He had the Wolves playing close to this with a lot less talent.

Thibbs probably my second but we all know Thibbs is a short burn. You realistically have a 3/4 year window with him. The biggest muck up with him was letting him have full control of the decisions.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:06 am I think he's an ight coach but I don't think he's great.

Pretty good for our standards.

I think Adelman was the best coach we've had here and it isn't very close. He had the Wolves playing close to this with a lot less talent.

Thibbs probably my second but we all know Thibbs is a short burn. You realistically have a 3/4 year window with him. The biggest muck up with him was letting him have full control of the decisions.
I agree that Adleman was the best coach this organization has ever had. Finch is currently 3rd but the #1 spot is definitely in reach. It's all about playoff performance now. He's proven himself to be an above average regular season coach.

Thibbs is currently 4th. The guy has a niche where he's able to get an instant surge of improvement before the wheels inevitably fall off.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

defense showed up last night. he got away with some questionable decisions in the first half--so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt. i do wonder why he doesn't have much trust in giving nowell minutes. they outscored the clippers in both halves so i can't say he was wrong. but could he be wrong?
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:37 am
defense showed up last night. he got away with some questionable decisions in the first half--so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt. i do wonder why he doesn't have much trust in giving nowell minutes. they outscored the clippers in both halves so i can't say he was wrong. but could he be wrong?
The Clippers didn't have an answer when the Wolves were switching everything. Very happy the Wolves didn't blow up their depth before the trade deadline this year. Their ceiling isn't the Finals this year so roll with the players that got you to this point, which can only inflate their value, and make adjustments in the offseason.
Jean Claude Van Damme

Finch's first ever "play off" game. I'll cut the guy some slack but I agree Nowell should have played more. The Okogie thing was a head scratcher.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Jean Claude Van Damme wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:47 am
Finch's first ever "play off" game. I'll cut the guy some slack but I agree Nowell should have played more. The Okogie thing was a head scratcher.
It felt like the plan/hope was that Okogie would have been able to draw a push off foul on George and he wasn't able to get in position and picked up the foul instead. Fucking refs let George get away with some real BS last night and George knew it. When George would finally get called for a push off foul, he knew the refs weren't going to call it on him again so he didn't adjust his game at all. He didn't have to.
j2j

Post by j2j »

shoteh wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:01 am Having Towns back in rotation after 3 early fouls was pretty questionable and could have made a bigger impact on the game. Also he made a couple weird choices in this game. Hope he gets on the guys for horrible FT's tonight and gets back to winning bball.
Why?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
j2j

Post by j2j »

I don't agree with any kind of unwritten hard rule of "sit guys when they have a certain number of fouls". It's all situational. Sitting a guy just means you're fouling him out yourself.

KAT had some really dumb fouls last night, and he didnt play well because the Clips were so keyed in on him, but you have to dance with the gal you brought.

As it's gone all year, we play well when 2 of the big 3 show up, and it pretty much rotates every game who it is.

Max Finch!
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:02 am
Jean Claude Van Damme wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:47 am

It felt like the plan/hope was that Okogie would have been able to draw a push off foul on George and he wasn't able to get in position and picked up the foul instead. Fucking refs let George get away with some real BS last night and George knew it. When George would finally get called for a push off foul, he knew the refs weren't going to call it on him again so he didn't adjust his game at all. He didn't have to.
Yes….PG leads with a stiff arm almost every play, it was how he was getting separation. I guess I had really never noticed it much before, but it was pretty ridiculous.

Finch putting Okogie in - there was no acceptable excuse for that. Okogie is fucking trash and always has been…he is terrible. When I was at the game and saw Finch sending him to the scorers table, I thought Finch was waving the white flag. Then Okogie instantly gets and dump foul to send PG to the line for free points. Finch yanked him immediately, but he should have never been on the glooor. Hopefully Finch learned a lesson there.

Okogie needs to go so that any temptation to allow him on the court is removed.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

j2j wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:26 am
shoteh wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:01 am Having Towns back in rotation after 3 early fouls was pretty questionable and could have made a bigger impact on the game. Also he made a couple weird choices in this game. Hope he gets on the guys for horrible FT's tonight and gets back to winning bball.
Why?
1st - did you watch the game (Towns was lost and flailing all over the place on both O and D going 100mph)
2nd - In the game of curling - Towns is the puck. Finch is the sweeper. If the puck is going too fast, the sweeper gotta sweep to slow the puck down. Sometimes almost stopping the puck in order for the puck to gain frkn composure and be the best he can be as there are 2 more quarters left to play.