Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Chris Finch -Wolves Head Coach Thread***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
j2j

Re: ***Official Chris Finch -Wolves Head Coach Thread***

Post by j2j »

shoteh wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:17 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:26 am
shoteh wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:01 am Having Towns back in rotation after 3 early fouls was pretty questionable and could have made a bigger impact on the game. Also he made a couple weird choices in this game. Hope he gets on the guys for horrible FT's tonight and gets back to winning bball.
Why?
1st - did you watch the game (Towns was lost and flailing all over the place on both O and D going 100mph)
2nd - In the game of curling - Towns is the puck. Finch is the sweeper. If the puck is going too fast, the sweeper gotta sweep to slow the puck down. Sometimes almost stopping the puck in order for the puck to gain frkn composure and be the best he can be as there are 2 more quarters left to play.
Yes, I watched the game. "Gets on his guys for horrible FTs"? :lol: Do you think they weren't trying to make FTs?

Towns needs to be better. You cant bench your franchise player, otherwise you're basically fouling him out for them.

Get back to winning basketball? Did they not win last night?

What's with this Minnesota mindset that even in the face of good things we still can't be happy?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

j2j wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:39 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:26 am

Why?
1st - did you watch the game (Towns was lost and flailing all over the place on both O and D going 100mph)
2nd - In the game of curling - Towns is the puck. Finch is the sweeper. If the puck is going too fast, the sweeper gotta sweep to slow the puck down. Sometimes almost stopping the puck in order for the puck to gain frkn composure and be the best he can be as there are 2 more quarters left to play.
Yes, I watched the game. "Gets on his guys for horrible FTs"? :lol: Do you think they weren't trying to make FTs?

Towns needs to be better. You cant bench your franchise player, otherwise you're basically fouling him out for them.

What's with this Minnesota mindset that even in the face of good things we still can't be happy?
I disagree. By sitting Kat with 3 fouls for the rest of the 1st half, you're preserving him for an entire 2nd half. The moment Kat picks up a 4th foul in the 1st half, both the 1st half and now the upcoming 2nd half are fucked.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I dunno, i could see going either way. You want to get him going and putting it off till the second half might not be the best route. But yes, getting a first half 4th is bad too.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:54 pm

I disagree. By sitting Kat with 3 fouls for the rest of the 1st half, you're preserving him for an entire 2nd half. The moment Kat picks up a 4th foul in the 1st half, both the 1st half and now the upcoming 2nd half are fucked.
Either way he's sitting, right?

If anything I'd have preferred to see more offense/defense subs with him. There were times we were shooting free throws and he was still out there. Sub in Naz at those times, and then KAT back in on offense. In a vacuum, of course.

The concept of "player has X number of fouls, we must sit him" is a silly one, imo. I've had plenty of players who pick up 2 quick ones and then end the game with 2 total fouls. If I sat them, then i lose their contributions.

Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

j2j wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:58 pm

If anything I'd have preferred to see more offense/defense subs with him. There were times we were shooting free throws and he was still out there. Sub in Naz at those times, and then KAT back in on offense. In a vacuum, of course.

The concept of "player has X number of fouls, we must sit him" is a silly one, imo. I've had plenty of players who pick up 2 quick ones and then end the game with 2 total fouls. If I sat them, then i lose their contributions.
Kat starting the 2nd half with 4 fouls greatly limits him. He wasn’t playing worth a piss so sit him and hope the Kat is able to feed in the 2nd half. Coach dodged a bullet last night. I doubt Finch will do that again.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:23 pm

Kat starting the 2nd half with 4 fouls greatly limits him. He wasn’t playing worth a piss so sit him and hope the Kat is able to feed in the 2nd half. Coach dodged a bullet last night. I doubt Finch will do that again.
I made this point earlier. Towns is a below-average defender normally. Playing cautious in fouls trouble he’s completely ineffective. He wasn’t challenging shots at all. He couldn’t.

I’d much rather reduce his minutes due to foul trouble and still have him play with normal intensity than to get him out there longer, but play timid and cautious.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:55 pm

I made this point earlier. Towns is a below-average defender normally. Playing cautious in fouls trouble he’s completely ineffective. He wasn’t challenging shots at all. He couldn’t.

I’d much rather reduce his minutes due to foul trouble and still have him play with normal intensity than to get him out there longer, but play timid and cautious.
Yup, agreed to both points.

Why you benching your best player? cuz he acting like he's your worst. Thats all Finch needs to say and do.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

shoteh wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:09 pm

Why you benching your best player? cuz he acting like he's your worst. Thats all Finch needs to say and do.
Also, “why am I benching my best player? So he can be my best player later and not some watered-down version of himself.”

Towns showed signs of life in the 3rd. If finch played this better, maybe towns has a chance to get into some rhythm and we know he can score quickly when he’s on. Maybe not, but we’ve seen it before.

Overall, Finch gets a lot of credit for where the team is today. This is far from a “fire finch” take. But he blew that call.

- Isaac Asimov
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Murray just picked up his 3rd with 10:30 left in the 2nd and Pop put him on the bench immediately. It will be interesting to see what minutes he gets before half.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:22 pm

Also, “why am I benching my best player? So he can be my best player later and not some watered-down version of himself.”

Towns showed signs of life in the 3rd. If finch played this better, maybe towns has a chance to get into some rhythm and we know he can score quickly when he’s on. Maybe not, but we’ve seen it before.

Overall, Finch gets a lot of credit for where the team is today. This is far from a “fire finch” take. But he blew that call.
Yes he did…he gambled.

Putting Okogie in that game is really the inexcusable one for me……the lesson learned for Finch on that one couldn’t have been any quicker. That was just plain stupid.

Coached his ass off to win after all of that and found the right mix of players to battle it out in the end, so he also gets full credit for that. That far outweighs the bad.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:46 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:22 pm

Yes he did…he gambled.

Putting Okogie in that game is really the inexcusable one for me……the lesson learned for Finch on that one couldn’t have been any quicker. That was just plain stupid.

Coached his ass off to win after all of that and found the right mix of players to battle it out in the end, so he also gets full credit for that. That far outweighs the bad.

For sure. This is the pimple on the supermodel’s ass were talking about here.

Go Finch!

Go wolves!

- Isaac Asimov
j2j

Post by j2j »

"Inexcusable..." :lol:

Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

j2j wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:24 am "Inexcusable..." :lol:
I actually thought it was a decent move. At worst it was a non-talker of a move. Seems like coach was sick of PG effectively (and illegally) using his off arm all half so he put Okogie in with the instructions of beating him to the angle, plant your feet, and draw the charge. Okogie just wasn't quick enough or he guessed wrong. At the end of the day, he took a foul. Big fucking deal. Logically the move made sense imo.

Didn't Okogie have a similar game this year where he played little or no minutes just to be subbed in and wind up getting a much needed shot block on the opposing team or did that occur in my dreams?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:33 pm
I actually thought it was a decent move. At worst it was a non-talker of a move. Seems like coach was sick of PG effectively (and illegally) using his off arm all half so he put Okogie in with the instructions of beating him to the angle, plant your feet, and draw the charge. Okogie just wasn't quick enough or he guessed wrong. At the end of the day, he took a foul. Big fucking deal. Logically the move made sense imo.

Didn't Okogie have a similar game this year where he played little or no minutes just to be subbed in and wind up getting a much needed shot block on the opposing team or did that occur in my dreams?
I dont mind the move, people love to judge things based on hindsight and results.

But the funny part is some random fan trying to decide which decision by the potential COTYC is excusable or not is hilarious. If it's inexcusable what are they going to do? Fire him? Bitch more on froobchat?
Last edited by j2j on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

j2j wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:56 pm

I dont mind the move, people love to judge things based on hindsight and results.

But the funny part is some random fan trying to decide which decision by the potential COTYC is excusable or not is hilarious. If it's inexcusable what are they doing to do? Fire him? Bitch more on froobchat?
Lol. I can picture the heads exploding in the front office. "The ink is not even dry on his extension and he pulls this shit?! Saboteur!!"
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:00 pm

But the funny part is some random fan trying to decide which decision by the potential COTYC is excusable or not is hilarious. If it's inexcusable what are they doing to do? Fire him? Bitch more on froobchat?
Lol. I can picture the heads exploding in the front office. "The ink is not even dry on his extension and he pulls this shit?! Saboteur!!"
Is there really anyone alive besides Okogie’s immediate family that believes this guy belongs in the NBA. I am sure there are likely a clueless few here who do.

Another complete pile of THIBBS crap.

Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:38 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:00 pm

Is there really anyone alive besides Okogie’s immediate family that believes this guy belongs in the NBA. I am sure there are likely a clueless few here who do.

Another complete pile of THIBBS crap.

Apparently coach Finch is of the belief. Okogie will stick around the NBA for a while I predict. Solid attitude and a pretty good defender. That might not earn him a ton of minutes but I would imagine he's an asset to go against every day in practice.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Okogie will stick somewhere. He's too good as an energy/defensive type to bounce out. There's definitely teams that can use his skillset. It's almost assuredly his last season here though.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Style

Post by Style »

I’m an Okogie fan. Good teammate, good perimeter defender, and contagious hustle player. There are definitely worse types out there. I’d like to see him back, but realize the odds may be low.

I personally wanted to see more Beverley/Okogie lineups. Their defense would be fun to watch and they mesh offensively to some degree.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Looks like the honeymoon is over.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Chris Finch is atrocious as identifying runs and using timeouts to try and stop them.
Let's get Tropical
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:32 am Chris Finch is atrocious as identifying runs and using timeouts to try and stop them.
He's usually better than this but last night the game was 75% on Finch for having tunnel vision.

Also wth with not letting Nowell in when Beasely is chucking and Greg in when Kat actin like a baby.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

finch has done a lot of really good things this year. last night was not one of them.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:52 pm finch has done a lot of really good things this year. last night was not one of them.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

This astonishing playoff loss was so bizarre it will be forever etched in my brain. I’m still a supporter but jeez louise. One for the ages.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm sorry--but if they lose this series this is the guy that i put as the number one reason for it happening.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Send him to Glens chicken farm and roast him
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:36 pm i'm sorry--but if they lose this series this is the guy that i put as the number one reason for it happening.
He tried to manage this game better, but he can’t find an answer to Clarke…..and it is his and Gupta’s fault they don’t have that PF on the roster. Thankfully he still has Beasley on the bench though.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:12 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:36 pm i'm sorry--but if they lose this series this is the guy that i put as the number one reason for it happening.
He tried to manage this game better, but he can’t find an answer to Clarke…..and it is his and Gupta’s fault they don’t have that PF on the roster. Thankfully he still has Beasley on the bench though.
the wolves have had the lead for about three quarters of the time and are down 3-2 and barely won their second game. the better team for most of the time is losing and there's something wrong somewhere when that happens. just a couple of correct tweaks from the coach and this series is over. the worst it should be is 3-2 wolves with a chance to close them out on your home court.

in other words when this type of thing happens it's on the coach. period.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

NotRasho wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:44 pm I will put some blame on Finch, but its for his lack of structure and letting guys who get flustered run the show. The players are always thinking home run, all or nothing type plays. We get up and then start running ball pounding ISO garbage that gets us bad shots, so the next time down the court we double down on the same mentality. Just tonight he was asked about Towns taking more 3's and basically said the players just do what they want. If they are good at it, fine, but when theres a repetitive issue that costs you games you need to take control and call plays.

My only hope is that this is their first time in the playoffs, and they are pretty young. Hopefully experiencing this will help them learn and grow. But I worry it will be like when Thibs made Wiggins a primary ball handler.
it's been that way all year. they don't know how to take the air out of the ball and run something deliberate on the offensive end. you seen it play out again tonight in the 4th quarter. the last two minutes were terrible. after KAT hits that three you have to be more deliberate on the offensive end.