Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Chris Finch -Wolves Head Coach Thread***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
shoteh

Re: ***Official Chris Finch -Wolves Head Coach Thread***

Post by shoteh »

Best thing about Fince in that HOU game was calling a TO when our starters weren't hitting any shots and playing sloppy in the 3rd.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

spot on. i thought the same thing. lead had gone from 30 to 20 in a flash and the starters looked clueless. boom. TO and we turned it right back around.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
salamander

Post by salamander »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:18 am spot on. i thought the same thing. lead had gone from 30 to 20 in a flash and the starters looked clueless. boom. TO and we turned it right back around.
Hmmmm..... I don't think I can agree with your all-NBA team in your signature. Where are the Nerdlucks?

Pound, Bang, Nawt, Bupkus and Blanko.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

salamander wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:03 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:18 am spot on. i thought the same thing. lead had gone from 30 to 20 in a flash and the starters looked clueless. boom. TO and we turned it right back around.
Hmmmm..... I don't think I can agree with your all-NBA team in your signature. Where are the Nerdlucks?

Pound, Bang, Nawt, Bupkus and Blanko.
not following - and perhaps you don't know how those teams are chosen. it was the all-time froobdraft (i think?) 2020 we did awhile ago. i think we had only 10 froobs participate - draft order is mostly snaked. so, no, this is not my all-time all-time team. it's my all-time team when my first pick is 8 (Wilt) and my second pick is 12 (Curry) and so on. we'll do one again, i'm sure. you should play. if you want to see how it all shaked out, my guess is the thread has slunk well back on the wolves page - probably start looking around page 20.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Finch going with Jmac in the 4th was an eye opener and refreshing. I see you Finch.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Finchy, u been reading this board?
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

shoteh wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:03 am Finch going with Jmac in the 4th was an eye opener and refreshing. I see you Finch.
And now Jmac is benched for Balmaro :lol:

I did like Prince in the starting lineup today
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

morneaumvp wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:44 pm
shoteh wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:03 am Finch going with Jmac in the 4th was an eye opener and refreshing. I see you Finch.
And now Jmac is benched for Balmaro :lol:

I did like Prince in the starting lineup today
Yeah, that tells you he's willing to adjust which is a good thing....

Now, it doesn't help if he's not given a decent PF if when Towns gets fouled out.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

He's lost all his good will!!!!!!!!
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Terrible coach!!
jace frederick
@JaceFrederick
Kevin Durant said the Wolves were trying to muck it up with various defensive looks without KAT, which he respected

Alex Schiffer
@Alex__Schiffer
James Harden with high praise for Chris Finch's defense. Said the Wolves were scrambling and double and tripling at times. Said it was tough to get any kind of flow.
This just reaffirms that Finch is the man for the job. Coach is set and now just gotta tweak the roster until everything clicks.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:27 am Terrible coach!!
jace frederick
@JaceFrederick
Kevin Durant said the Wolves were trying to muck it up with various defensive looks without KAT, which he respected

Alex Schiffer
@Alex__Schiffer
James Harden with high praise for Chris Finch's defense. Said the Wolves were scrambling and double and tripling at times. Said it was tough to get any kind of flow.
This just reaffirms that Finch is the man for the job. Coach is set and now just gotta tweak the roster until everything clicks.
Sure, Our defense looks legit, but offense, that's a whole nother subject
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

So it's been a good chunk of the season and at this point we can safely say what kind of team this is. Somehow finch has turned this team into a top 10 defense but the overall team offense had sucked ass (24th).

So are you guys happy with how improved our defense has gotten but how our offense has struggled or would you rather have it the other way around?

I'm very happy with what is happening now because the defense is legit and mainly due to Vanderbilt essentially willing the entire team to play better defense. Ant still can loaf around when playing team defense but his 1-1 defense is getting REALLY good and he is improving by leaps and bounds anticipating passing Lanes ....

The offense I am worried but given the sheer talent on that side I am more confident of that improving

T_J

Post by T_J »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:09 am So it's been a good chunk of the season and at this point we can safely say what kind of team this is. Somehow finch has turned this team into a top 10 defense but the overall team offense had sucked ass (24th).

So are you guys happy with how improved our defense has gotten but how our offense has struggled or would you rather have it the other way around?

I'm very happy with what is happening now because the defense is legit and mainly due to Vanderbilt essentially willing the entire team to play better defense. Ant still can loaf around when playing team defense but his 1-1 defense is getting REALLY good and he is improving by leaps and bounds anticipating passing Lanes ....

The offense I am worried but given the sheer talent on that side I am more confident of that improving
It's pretty cliched, but defense can be a constant even when you're shooting poorly so I'm glad that has improved.

Offensively they're running an analytics sort of Houston style thing of all 3's and bunnies. However, they're in the bottom of 1/3 in FT attempts per game and I think that's due to leading the league in 3PA's per game. They also shoot in the bottom 1/3 in 3 point percentage so it'd be helpful if they had some better shooters as role players.

I'd like to see another ball handler who can attack the rim to open up the floor.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

So this is kind of cool. The 5 man line up of Bev, Russell, KAT, Vanderbilt and Edwards has played 142 minutes together with a net rating of +50.5.

In the entire league with a minimum of 100 minutes played that is by far the best. The second best is only 34.5! Heck if you went down to 5 man lineups with a minimum of 40 minutes played the Wolves still are #1 by a huge margin

We coming?

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:27 pm So this is kind of cool. The 5 man line up of Bev, Russell, KAT, Vanderbilt and Edwards has played 142 minutes together with a net rating of +50.5.

In the entire league with a minimum of 100 minutes played that is by far the best. The second best is only 34.5! Heck if you went down to 5 man lineups with a minimum of 40 minutes played the Wolves still are #1 by a huge margin

We coming?
You know the answer to that my man! :lol:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
salamander

Post by salamander »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:27 am Terrible coach!!
jace frederick
@JaceFrederick

Alex Schiffer
@Alex__Schiffer
Oh my God, I just jizzed in my pants reading that.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Style

Post by Style »

Overall I think Finch has done a tremendous job of bringing this team from a cellar dweller to probably league average. That's a great jump.

I don't particularly have a stance on which is better in terms of offense vs. defense. I'd probably prefer the offense to be better, but it's a horse a piece. My logic is that during crucial moments of the game a poor defense can get bailed out by a missed shot or turnover. A poor offense is pretty much just doomed.

I'd like to see Finch get more creative with getting KAT looks. He's not getting up enough shots per game. I think part of our low FT rate is a roster of guys who just struggle to create. Nowell's continued emergence is huge for this team. I'd still like another guy who can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim/draw a foul. Right now it's Ant, a little bit of Nowell, and that's about it.

It's fun having a team where specific roles are the targets rather than just a need for any talent.

Next up: A defending/rebounding big, a bench bucket getter, and some more veteran bench stability.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Style wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:59 am Overall I think Finch has done a tremendous job of bringing this team from a cellar dweller to probably league average. That's a great jump.

I don't particularly have a stance on which is better in terms of offense vs. defense. I'd probably prefer the offense to be better, but it's a horse a piece. My logic is that during crucial moments of the game a poor defense can get bailed out by a missed shot or turnover. A poor offense is pretty much just doomed.

I'd like to see Finch get more creative with getting KAT looks. He's not getting up enough shots per game. I think part of our low FT rate is a roster of guys who just struggle to create. Nowell's continued emergence is huge for this team. I'd still like another guy who can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim/draw a foul. Right now it's Ant, a little bit of Nowell, and that's about it.

It's fun having a team where specific roles are the targets rather than just a need for any talent.

Next up: A defending/rebounding big, a bench bucket getter, and some more veteran bench stability.
I'm starting to think that it's Kat who is hesitant to shit more. After so many coaches and him being given the green light he just hasn't seized the opportunity. I want him to because he is one of the better scorers in the league but it just seems like he doesn't want to.

There is no way I will ever believe that Finch has let Edwards get the green light to shoot whenever but is holding KAT back

Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

With a head coach's salary, Chris Finch can afford a better hair cut. This is indisputable.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

T_J wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:26 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:09 am So it's been a good chunk of the season and at this point we can safely say what kind of team this is. Somehow finch has turned this team into a top 10 defense but the overall team offense had sucked ass (24th).

It's pretty cliched, but defense can be a constant even when you're shooting poorly so I'm glad that has improved.

Offensively they're running an analytics sort of Houston style thing of all 3's and bunnies. However, they're in the bottom of 1/3 in FT attempts per game and I think that's due to leading the league in 3PA's per game. They also shoot in the bottom 1/3 in 3 point percentage so it'd be helpful if they had some better shooters as role players.

I'd like to see another ball handler who can attack the rim to open up the floor.
This.

Our D is really good.

Our flaws on O is we have no big that plays above the rim and can put pressure on the D.

We are not shooting that well from 3

We do not have a breakdown point. Ant is the best we have and his game is still developing. DLO doesn’t break anyone down, his game is all about length and positioning.

I think 1 and 3 is not happening this year. 2 may slightly improve to historical but we will have to live and die with 3 and D it seems
“You realize he reports you just as much as you report him, right? He has some valid complaints as well. I don't like or dislike either of you. I just want you two to shut the fuck up.”
——OG Froob.
Style

Post by Style »

Ask Not wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:52 pm With a head coach's salary, Chris Finch can afford a better hair cut. This is indisputable.
And a new wardrobe. At least unzip the 1/4 zip pullover man. No reason to have that thing zipped ALL THE WAY UP.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Style wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:14 pm
Ask Not wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:52 pm With a head coach's salary, Chris Finch can afford a better hair cut. This is indisputable.
And a new wardrobe. At least unzip the 1/4 zip pullover man. No reason to have that thing zipped ALL THE WAY UP.
Hey, if the man wants to be NBA’s Belichick, let him.
Style

Post by Style »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:43 pm
Hey, if the man wants to be NBA’s Belichick, let him.
Fair. I stand corrected.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

zipped all the way up is how us plus 50 guys like to wear that attire. it's called "style".
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Easier to hide those prison tattoos

populousample

Post by populousample »

Team is significantly better this year overall but:

Not seeing enough run stopping offensive sets.
Not seeing enough defensive adjustments in-game. Teams find a pick n roll weakness and go to it over and over successfully.
We’re losing winnable games that strategic coaching opportunities could affect.
Remove Beverly and his influences this season and not sure the Wolves are playing the same level of D.
Vando and Nowell’s development are bright spots
ANT goes missing to often. Do not see enough sets to get him going and involved.
KAT has peaked if coaches can’t develop his game against physical D.
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

populousample wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:48 am Team is significantly better this year overall but:

Not seeing enough defensive adjustments in-game. Teams find a pick n roll weakness and go to it over and over successfully.
Remove Beverly and his influences this season and not sure the Wolves are playing the same level of D.
ANT goes missing to often. Do not see enough sets to get him going and involved.
Good points.

Most of all, I’m tired of us losing our coo when down / and being smug when we’re up.

Finch needs to think a little bit more about our team staying even keeled and our collective mental approach.

Pop was great at that. Try to emulate his calm. Get the team to buy into that.
populousample

Post by populousample »

thinktank wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:48 am
populousample wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:48 am Team is significantly better this year overall but:

Good points.

Most of all, I’m tired of us losing our coo when down / and being smug when we’re up.

Finch needs to think a little bit more about our team staying even keeled and our collective mental approach.

Pop was great at that. Try to emulate his calm. Get the team to buy into that.
Last nights game Finch let the team continue to run and push the ball as things unraveled in the 3rd. Basically feeding the ATL momentum. No problem playing with pace but in those situations it is helpful to leverage that pace to get into an offensive sets that puts pressure back on the opponent by creating high % looks. Converting in those sets is what stems the tide and takes an opponent out of rhythm. The effectiveness of the team getting into and executing those set is what helps regain control of a game. Watch PHX, they’ve mastered that. Much of it feeding off of Booker’s willingness to move without the ball, running off of picks in those sets. Monte doesn’t even need to call the sets because it is who they are.
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Chris Finch: 87 games in

39-48 .450 winning %

W% rank: Flip 1, Thibs 2, Finch 3.

Stud.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Petersen breaks down the teams defense.

https://www.theringer.com/2022/1/26/229 ... olves-love

Starts at around the 49 minute mark.