Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What are you playing right now?

Video game themed message board
Tommy_Hawk

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:29 am Tried to load up Cyberpunk with Phantom Liberty and I keep getting some "not installed properly" message. Never seen it before and two lengthy uninstall/reinstall cycles have done nothing.

This fucking sucks.
You're missing out on a triumphant video game. Should have ignored the naysayers and played it two and a half years ago.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:48 pm
Mandatory wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:29 am Tried to load up Cyberpunk with Phantom Liberty and I keep getting some "not installed properly" message. Never seen it before and two lengthy uninstall/reinstall cycles have done nothing.

This fucking sucks.
You're missing out on a triumphant video game. Should have ignored the naysayers and played it two and a half years ago.
Oh I was a day one Cyberpunk fan.. never had any bug issues and I thought the hate was overblown. But I wanted to start a new game with the DLC... but it won't load!
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:53 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:48 pm

This fucking sucks.
Oh I was a day one Cyberpunk fan.. never had any bug issues and I thought the hate was overblown. But I wanted to start a new game with the DLC... but it won't load!
Heaven's yes, brother!
:beer:

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Yo, I polished off Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name. Good shit setting up for Infinite Wealth. Glad they're bringing Kiryu back into the fold with Ichiban. Thought the ending to this game was excellent. Just Peak Yakuza shit.

Very excited for Infinite Wealth.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Baldur's Gate 3 since it just got ported to Xbox. Seems great so far. Paladin life! Uphold the oath, son. Smiting these fucking shitty goblins.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:59 pm Baldur's Gate 3 since it just got ported to Xbox. Seems great so far. Paladin life! Uphold the oath, son. Smiting these fucking shitty goblins.
I think im gonna pick that up on Friday. Not sure if I'll get it for Xbox or PS5. Looks good tho. I'm getting pretty bored with Starfield...
I made this!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:05 pm
YBBR wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:59 pm Baldur's Gate 3 since it just got ported to Xbox. Seems great so far. Paladin life! Uphold the oath, son. Smiting these fucking shitty goblins.
I think im gonna pick that up on Friday. Not sure if I'll get it for Xbox or PS5. Looks good tho. I'm getting pretty bored with Starfield...
Yeah, they might want to roll out some updates or DLC ASAP
Let's get Tropical
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:49 pm
Yeah, they might want to roll out some updates or DLC ASAP
Or mods on console. The game needs a massive amount of content to get added one way or another...
I made this!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Don't like the Tactical RPG battle system. Fights take a long time and if the outcome isn't one you would like and you reload your save, you have to do it all over again and it eats up even more time. If it was RTS like the first two, I'd give this game a 10 out of 10.

Instead, I stopped playing after ACT 1. Fights shouldn't take 30 fucking minutes when the rest of the game is so vast and exciting. Every 15 seconds walking you run into a potential battle and it sucks time away. Blah
Last edited by Tommy_Hawk on Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:47 pm
Don't like the Tactical RPG battle system. Fights take a long time and if the outcome isn't one you would like and you reload your save, you have to do it all over again and it eats up even more time. If it was RTS like the first two, I'd give this game a 10 out of 10.

Instead, I stopped playing after ACT 1. Fights should take 30 fucking minutes when the rest of the game is so vast and exciting. Every 15 seconds walking you run into a potential battle and it sucks time away. Blah
Hmmm.... That does sound pretty annoying... Idk, maybe I'll just work on the old backlog or find something on gamepass. Maybe Balders gate 3 will go on sale at some point and I can get it then too.
I made this!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I bought BG3 on the computer but never started a game. I still really want to, and with it on console now I might check that out.

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Love the tactical fights and all the absolutely absurd goofy stuff you can get up to in and out of combat. All the Divinity games were tactical like this and I think the battle system they use takes a bit to grasp but I think they do a great job of pulling off wild stuff.

Like I have a fire strike ability on my Paladin I hit this enemy with a flame strike spell, and he catches on fire. We rescued this now enemy from a room filled with poison. Then my Beserker passes an athletics check and pushes him into the poison. In this and the Divinity games poison is extremely flammable and explosive. I pushed him into the poison while on fire and they ignite and everything exploded.

Casting grease with a wizard on the ground around a bunch of enemies and then lighting it on fire with a fireball or a thrown fire grenade is also a good one.

It's awesome.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

If you are an old school CRPG fan or like Tactical turn-based RPG battles, it's kind of a no brainer recommend. The writing and characters are great and memorable so far. Events unfold in so many different and varied ways depending on your actions. The design Larian accomplished with this game is extremely impressive. It's not massively different from Divinity Original Sin 2, just higher production values, but it feels like the next iteration of those games. Which were very highly lauded in their own regard.

Hats off to Larian. I'm super happy this has sold as well as it has and kind of broke through to a wider audience than their previous stuff. Tons of game of the year awards for it from many outlets and richly deserved. Give it a look.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:43 pm
If you are an old school CRPG fan or like Tactical turn-based RPG battles, it's kind of a no brainer recommend. The writing and characters are great and memorable so far. Events unfold in so many different and varied ways depending on your actions. The design Larian accomplished with this game is extremely impressive. It's not massively different from Divinity Original Sin 2, just higher production values, but it feels like the next iteration of those games. Which were very highly lauded in their own regard.

Hats off to Larian. I'm super happy this has sold as well as it has and kind of broke through to a wider audience than their previous stuff. Tons of game of the year awards for it from many outlets and richly deserved. Give it a look.
I just gotta find the time to devote to that sort of game. I used to love final fantasy games, for example, but just don't have the time to put into them anymore. It takes a pretty good game to grab my attention enough to not feel like I'm wasting my time playing it. I had high hopes for Starfield...
I made this!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:31 pm

I just gotta find the time to devote to that sort of game. I used to love final fantasy games, for example, but just don't have the time to put into them anymore. It takes a pretty good game to grab my attention enough to not feel like I'm wasting my time playing it. I had high hopes for Starfield...
This is definitely one of those games. I don't like the fighting system compared to the originals. Otherwise it feels like the old ones.

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

YBBR wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:13 pm Love the tactical fights and all the absolutely absurd goofy stuff you can get up to in and out of combat. All the Divinity games were tactical like this and I think the battle system they use takes a bit to grasp but I think they do a great job of pulling off wild stuff.

Like I have a fire strike ability on my Paladin I hit this enemy with a flame strike spell, and he catches on fire. We rescued this now enemy from a room filled with poison. Then my Beserker passes an athletics check and pushes him into the poison. In this and the Divinity games poison is extremely flammable and explosive. I pushed him into the poison while on fire and they ignite and everything exploded.

Casting grease with a wizard on the ground around a bunch of enemies and then lighting it on fire with a fireball or a thrown fire grenade is also a good one.

It's awesome.
True. But the enemy AI knows what you're doing and doesn't fall for these tactics. I don't like the gathering of campfood to recharge your spells either. I do like the camp though.

YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:51 pm
YBBR wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:13 pm Love the tactical fights and all the absolutely absurd goofy stuff you can get up to in and out of combat. All the Divinity games were tactical like this and I think the battle system they use takes a bit to grasp but I think they do a great job of pulling off wild stuff.

It's awesome.
True. But the enemy AI knows what you're doing and doesn't fall for these tactics. I don't like the gathering of campfood to recharge your spells either. I do like the camp though.
I think that's a D&D mechanic with the spell slot thing. So they wanted to incorporate that with the long - and short rest stuff. It seems it becomes less and less of a problem as you level up, but yeah, it sucks when you run out of spell slots. The camp stuff kind of rips otherwise. Volo is amazing.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Rolling the D20 in the game is always fun, though. That kind of stuff they put in and make it a core game mechanic is very cool.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

I picked it up on my steamdeck over Christmas for $50. Pretty fun game, and it works and looks great on the steam deck! Pretty fun so far, but I just started. Reminds me a lot of Dragonage.
I made this!
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

I guess that makes sense being that Bioware made the original Balders gate.
I made this!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:22 am

I picked it up on my steamdeck over Christmas for $50. Pretty fun game, and it works and looks great on the steam deck! Pretty fun so far, but I just started. Reminds me a lot of Dragonage.
Did you roll your own character or go with an origin character? I rolled Tiefling Paladin and I'm sort of the tank of my party, but also can really bring some DPS thunder with Divine Favor.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:22 am I guess that makes sense being that Bioware made the original Balders gate.
It's been awhile since CRPGs were on people's radars for the most part. Since their heyday in the late 90's and early 2000's. Dragon Age Origins was probably the first one I played back in 2011 or 2012? I've dabbled here and there since and had a liking for the Divinity games previously, but never played the OG Baldur's Gate games either or Neverwinter Nights, etc...
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:33 am
Abe Froman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:22 am

Did you roll your own character or go with an origin character? I rolled Tiefling Paladin and I'm sort of the tank of my party, but also can really bring some DPS thunder with Divine Favor.
I'm a female half elf with a type c vulva. 😂

I like to play most games as an assassin rogue character, so it sorta makes sense.
I made this!
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:41 am
Abe Froman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:22 am I guess that makes sense being that Bioware made the original Balders gate.
It's been awhile since CRPGs were on people's radars for the most part. Since their heyday in the late 90's and early 2000's. Dragon Age Origins was probably the first one I played back in 2011 or 2012? I've dabbled here and there since and had a liking for the Divinity games previously, but never played the OG Baldur's Gate games either or Neverwinter Nights, etc...
Same, mostly. I played diablo as well.
I made this!
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Playing Balders Gate 3 kinda has me wanting to get the BG 1&2 Enhanced editions since I'm playing it on the steam deck anyway. Just gotta check to make sure I can play with a controller with those games since I don't want to figure out how to link a mouse and keyboard to it.

Also, I looked up Neverwinter nights and you can even pick that one up for like $10 for your phone. I'm kinda intrigued. It would give me something to do while I'm at work or waiting for my wife. Might be a good way to check those games out.
I made this!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:30 pm Playing Balders Gate 3 kinda has me wanting to get the BG 1&2 Enhanced editions since I'm playing it on the steam deck anyway. Just gotta check to make sure I can play with a controller with those games since I don't want to figure out how to link a mouse and keyboard to it.

Also, I looked up Neverwinter nights and you can even pick that one up for like $10 for your phone. I'm kinda intrigued. It would give me something to do while I'm at work or waiting for my wife. Might be a good way to check those games out.
BG I & II are better. You'll see what I mean when you download them and play. You will want a mouse and keyboard for them of you can, but the controller is fine, too. RTS fighting is better than the Divinity/BG3 Tactics fighting. There's more exploring in the originals.

BG3 is good for today's standard, but it's not as good because it doesn't have RTS.

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Is it better to create a character or play existing I’m BG3? Bought and downloaded, but unsure how to start.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:23 pm Is it better to create a character or play existing I’m BG3? Bought and downloaded, but unsure how to start.
Create.

I'd decide beforehand what build you want, and go in knowing the supporting builds are available as party members to fill in. When you do create, it will (at least in 1 & 2 for sure) randomly generate different attributes to start, so do it a few times and you'll notice the total attributes can be more or less–for example you roll and the total numbers for : Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, ect will equal 54, the next time it might be 49, the next time 61, the next time 53, ect.

YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:23 pm Is it better to create a character or play existing I’m BG3? Bought and downloaded, but unsure how to start.
You can do either. I think it's fun to create your own character because then you can experience all the other companions instead of playing as a companion. You get more of their unique dialogue if you're not playing as them. Slightly more immersive.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

I created one, but I don't think it really matters. Just depends on you want someone to have created the backstory for you or not. I'm pretty impressed with this game on the steamdeck. Runs flawlessly and looks really good. I know it's probably not crazy taxing on the GPU like other games are, but it still feels impressive to play on a mobile device with no noticeable difference.

The character created is pretty impressive, btw. My character has a type c vulva.
I made this!