Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Series S arrived

Video game themed message board
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Series S arrived

Post by RubeTube »

My Series S came in today.

Unbelievable how small this system is and they were not lying when saying it is the smallest Xbox ever. This is one of the reasons I went with this system.

Absolutely silent and cool running while playing a game and has an exceptional build quality.

It's updating right now so I will get back with further impressions. It's too bad there is really nothing new to play on it but I'll get back to performance of the dashboard and older games. So far so good.

Thought I would give my impressions since no one here has bought one of the next gen Xbox systems yet.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Re: Series S arrived

Post by RubeTube »

One reason I went with Xbox is the fact there is a full emulator for it. Plays pretty much every gen even some Switch emulation. I will try this out at a later time.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

New D Pad is a big upgrade. Rest of the controller is largely the same with some tweaks here and there.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ok so far I'm really not that impressed. I will wait until some games install first.

The dashboard on the Series S/X is the same as it was one the Xbox One and I knew that but it's only a tad quicker on the SSD than it was on my Xbox One X. I was able to sell my Xbox One X for 300 bucks so I basically just swapped for a much better system but if I had a Xbox One and couldn't get good money for it, I would just wait. You are missing nothing at the moment other than snappier menus and way faster load times.

I guess if you want Cyberpunk an update might be good but I don't have the game and everything else is pretty.much the same right now as it was last gen.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Play the new Ori on game pass. Control is on there too. These are some last gen/this gen upgrades that'll give you a good indicator. Forza Horizon 4 as well.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

YBBR wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:16 pm Play the new Ori on game pass. Control is on there too. These are some last gen/this gen upgrades that'll give you a good indicator. Forza Horizon 4 as well.
I am also installing the free 7 day trial of Madden with game pass. It has the next gen patch and I guess it plays better but still not great. Some say it's finally getting back to the good gameplay of PS2 and original Xbox (Pathetic)

Also downloading No Mans Sky which has a bunch of next gen patches.

Will report back. Be a bit since my internet is shit.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I can say this...

If you are someone who is a stickler for build quality, they did a great job here. One of the better launch console I have owned.

Here's a pretty good teardown from Spawn Wave. Talks about Microsoft losing quite a bit of money to sell the S at what it's at etc.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:18 pm My Series S came in today.

Unbelievable how small this system is and they were not lying when saying it is the smallest Xbox ever. This is one of the reasons I went with this system.

Absolutely silent and cool running while playing a game and has an exceptional build quality.

It's updating right now so I will get back with further impressions. It's too bad there is really nothing new to play on it but I'll get back to performance of the dashboard and older games. So far so good.

Thought I would give my impressions since no one here has bought one of the next gen Xbox systems yet.
I know a lot of PS peeps were making fun of how the series X looks (fridge) but I kinda like it.
Just now looked up what the series S looks like and I like that as well.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Can I play NCAAF on this? My 360 got the red ring a year ago, and I dont want to buy another 360 for $100
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:18 pm Can I play NCAAF on this? My 360 got the red ring a year ago, and I dont want to buy another 360 for $100
No. NCAA isn't backwards compatible.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:44 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:18 pm Can I play NCAAF on this? My 360 got the red ring a year ago, and I dont want to buy another 360 for $100
Dumb. I'm going to have to bust out my PS2. NCAA was best on that anyway.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:08 pm
Ya I had the last NCAA that was on 360. Better than Madden but it wasn't as good as the PS2 era.

I just played Madden for the first time in years with the brand new next gen patch and it's hot garbage. I'm glad I had a free 7 day trial to play it.

It's amazing how little progress has been in sports titles over the 15+ years. Sure it looks better but nothing else is improved. In fact the gameplay is worse.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:00 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:08 pm

Ya I had the last NCAA that was on 360. Better than Madden but it wasn't as good as the PS2 era.

I just played Madden for the first time in years with the brand new next gen patch and it's hot garbage. I'm glad I had a free 7 day trial to play it.

It's amazing how little progress has been in sports titles over the 15+ years. Sure it looks better but nothing else is improved. In fact the gameplay is worse.
Its brutal. First time I bought it since '06 and McNabb was on the cover. Hate it

YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Sports titles maybe were always cash grabs to some degree but they did a lot better at hiding it 10+ years ago. The way they churn those things out year after year with what amounts to new bugs and a roster update now. Yeah, I'm good.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

The ultimate team stuff is what they make their nut on those games now. Like Fifa and NBA 2K and Madden. Buy packs for a game you already bought!