Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Ricky Rubio

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do you want Ricky Rubio Back?

Yes, he is and always will be a Wolf
69%
No, that ship has sailed long ago
31%

Total votes: 51

Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: Ricky Rubio

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:46 pm
Last. You are in last place in the world.

Feel bad for him since it's hardly his fault the one team in history that needed him the least traded for him but jesus he should not be getting a single minute.

Fucking clown show.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Watching Rubio at the end of last season and now the Olympics...

...how do you trade this guy?

He’s playing the best ball of his life. And he’s still learning!

He’s been one of the biggest surprises in the past season and a half.
Style

Post by Style »

I get the sense Rubio's name being thrown around is much more smoke than fire. Unless he's needed for a truly elite player like Simmons, I don't see him being dealt.

Finch at some point said he likes DLo off the ball which makes Rubio even more valuable to the team. I think they run Rubio's deal out this year and try to re-sign him next offseason at a more manageable number. Keep in mind, we have Bolmaro near ready to make the transition from overseas to USA/NBA. Rubio has proven himself to be a quality player, but an even better teammate and mentor. That likely factors into his future here as well.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Style wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:04 am I get the sense Rubio's name being thrown around is much more smoke than fire. Unless he's needed for a truly elite player like Simmons, I don't see him being dealt.

Finch at some point said he likes DLo off the ball which makes Rubio even more valuable to the team. I think they run Rubio's deal out this year and try to re-sign him next offseason at a more manageable number. Keep in mind, we have Bolmaro near ready to make the transition from overseas to USA/NBA. Rubio has proven himself to be a quality player, but an even better teammate and mentor. That likely factors into his future here as well.
Agreed - Rightfully or wrongfully, I believe the Wolves value Rubio more than any other team that would be interested in acquiring him so it's pretty unlikely that he will be dealt unless he's a needed piece in a big deal that nobody is expecting.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:47 am
Style wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:04 am I get the sense Rubio's name being thrown around is much more smoke than fire. Unless he's needed for a truly elite player like Simmons, I don't see him being dealt.

Agreed - Rightfully or wrongfully, I believe the Wolves value Rubio more than any other team that would be interested in acquiring him so it's pretty unlikely that he will be dealt unless he's a needed piece in a big deal that nobody is expecting.
Rubio was not a franchise savior like we hoped in 2009.

Rubio is probably not worth his ~$20M contract.

But Rubio is a useful player and teammate in the right circumstance and price. He is not a guy you rid yourself of just to be rid of him.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

:idea:

Nobody is expecting Ben Simmons is there?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:55 am

Rubio was not a franchise savior like we hoped in 2009.

Rubio is probably not worth his ~$20M contract.

But Rubio is a useful player and teammate in the right circumstance and price. He is not a guy you rid yourself of just to be rid of him.
He’s only making 16M.

He’s a steal at that price.
Fattymcgee

Post by Fattymcgee »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:13 am Watching Rubio at the end of last season and now the Olympics...

Is this sarcasm?
Rubio still can't shoot, he shot terrible for us this year.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Fattymcgee wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:18 pm
thinktank wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:13 am Watching Rubio at the end of last season and now the Olympics...

Is this sarcasm?
He had a really rough first 2/3 or so of the season but then was excellent post AS game.

We can have different opinions of him.

I did not like the trade initially and now I do.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:30 pm

Is this sarcasm?
He had a really rough first 2/3 or so of the season but then was excellent post AS game.

While this claim has been thrown out there before, it is completely false. If you look at Rubio statistically pre- and post- All Star game in 2020-21 his statistics are almost exactly the same.

FG% 39% vs 38.5%
3P% 32.9% vs 29.5%
FT% 82.4% vs. 90.8%

MPG: 25.4 minutes vs. 26.7
PT/G 9.1 vs 8.3
Rebound/game 3.4 vs 3.0
Assists/game 6.4 v 6.3

His turnover level was a bit better post All-Star game, but that is more a funciton of a lower usage rage.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:44 pm

Is this sarcasm?

While this claim has been thrown out there before, it is completely false. If you look at Rubio statistically pre- and post- All Star game in 2020-21 his statistics are almost exactly the same.

FG% 39% vs 38.5%
3P% 32.9% vs 29.5%
FT% 82.4% vs. 90.8%

PT/G 9.1 vs 8.3
Rebound/game 3.4 vs 3.0
Assists/game 6.4 v 6.3

His turnover level was a bit better post All-Star game, but that is more a funciton of a lower usage rage.
By your numbers, his 3FG% went up 3.4% points. Show me his TS% difference. I bet it’s significant. He shot .516 for the year so his TS% post-ASG was probably the best stretch of his career by about 1 percentage point. .540 or .545?

I’ll hang up very loudly and not listen.

You’re entitled to your opinions.
Last edited by thinktank on Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I think I prefer to keep him as an expiring this year and see what happens with Russell as the season goes on. Going into next year if Russell has a down year and Rubio continues to help Edwards ascend I probably keep Rubio then...

If a star player is available then I'm inclined to use his contract but I'm not sure who becomes available to the Wolves in a straight up deal. Multi-team trade maybe.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
T_J

Post by T_J »

I'd rather trade Russell and I'm a Rubio hater.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

He only added the quick one-handed finish last year. Also the wrong foot was added, which is necessary in the NBA, but he never really had that before.

Two big additions to his game. Less blocked and altered shots, less turnovers.
Fattymcgee

Post by Fattymcgee »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:23 pm

FG% 39% vs 38.5%
3P% 32.9% vs 29.5%
FT% 82.4% vs. 90.8%

PT/G 9.1 vs 8.3
Rebound/game 3.4 vs 3.0
Assists/game 6.4 v 6.3

By your numbers, his 3FG% went up 3.4% points. Show me his TS% difference. I bet it’s significant. He shot .516 for the year so his TS% post-ASG was probably the best stretch of his career by about 1 percentage point. .540 or .545?

You're reading it backwards, his 3pt% actually dropped 3.4% points to 29.5%.
Post All-star break his TS% was 52.5% (57.2% league AVG) and his eFg% was 46% (53.8% league AVG), both of those are bad numbers.

I like Ricky but he's only worth about a third to a half of what we're paying him.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Ricky was pretty bad during the season
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Fattymcgee wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:04 pm

FG% 39% vs 38.5%
3P% 32.9% vs 29.5%
FT% 82.4% vs. 90.8%

PT/G 9.1 vs 8.3
Rebound/game 3.4 vs 3.0
Assists/game 6.4 v 6.3

You're reading it backwards, his 3pt% actually dropped 3.4% points to 29.5%.
Post All-star break his TS% was 52.5% (57.2% league AVG) and his eFg% was 46% (53.8% league AVG), both of those are bad numbers.

I like Ricky but he's only worth about a third to a half of what we're paying him.
So be it. I thought he was markedly better post ASG.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

FG% 39% vs 38.5%
3P% 32.9% vs 29.5%
FT% 82.4% vs. 90.8%

PT/G 9.1 vs 8.3
Rebound/game 3.4 vs 3.0
Assists/game 6.4 v 6.3

1. No, his 3P% went down 3.5% after all-star game. His total shooting % went up, from .516 to .525 but that is almost all driven by his improvement in free throw shooting %, from 80% to 90%.

2. No, HE DID NOT shoot 51.6% for the year. His field goal shooting percentage was 38.8%.

3. No, his total shooting percentage % was not the "best stretch of his career. His career TS% is 51.5. After the all-star break his TS% was 52.5.

I get that you don't want to listen to facts that totally contradict your stated opinion.

But, there is absolutely ZERO evidence that Ricky Rubio was "excellent" after the all-star game. His first half and second half are virtually indistinguishable.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

That’s fair. I was wrong. I read your stats wrong too. Wrong all around.

Except that I still think he was better post-ASG (box score and stats be damned) and see him coming into his own now.

Never thought that about him. Did not like him as a player.

Until now.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Rubio seems to have some mental quibble being on an NBA court vs any other court. That layup video for Spain, he rarely hits that for us, or looks to pass. If he actually did what he CAN do, he'd be a solid Andre Miller PG for us, and that is the type of player you can start.

I do love Rubio, and hope we resign him, but I recognise it'd need to be at the right price for us.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Wolves have him locked up for another season then he’s off the books, Teams like the Lakers being mentioned as interested in him and he is increasing his value with his highly visible Olympic play against many of the NBA’s best players around the globe.

For all the bitching here that took place about trading for him and his contract (they ended up with ANT, Jaden and Bolmaro the night they got Rubio) - I would say the Wolves and Rosas couldn’t be a in better spot with Rubio at the moment.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:31 am Wolves have him locked up for another season then he’s off the books, Teams like the Lakers being mentioned as interested in him and he is increasing his value with his highly visible Olympic play against many of the NBA’s best players around the globe.

For all the bitching here that took place about trading for him and his contract (they ended up with ANT, Jaden and Bolmaro the night they got Rubio) - I would say the Wolves and Rosas couldn’t be a in better spot with Rubio at the moment.

I do believe his play in the Olympics are going to get some team genuinely more interested in the idea. I don't think he's back with us after this season, as the league has lots of teams that need vet PG help. Not saying he can't be used here now and in the future, but with Dlo on your team, having a backup making Ricky's money only makes sense if you plan on using that contract as part of deal to bring in something else of need, ala, a PF.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

digitalwolf wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:44 am
jodaman01 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:31 am Wolves have him locked up for another season then he’s off the books, Teams like the Lakers being mentioned as interested in him and he is increasing his value with his highly visible Olympic play against many of the NBA’s best players around the globe.

I do believe his play in the Olympics are going to get some team genuinely more interested in the idea. I don't think he's back with us after this season, as the league has lots of teams that need vet PG help. Not saying he can't be used here now and in the future, but with Dlo on your team, having a backup making Ricky's money only makes sense if you plan on using that contract as part of deal to bring in something else of need, ala, a PF.
Maybe Rosas has known all along that Morey has a secret super man crush on Rubio. ;)