Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Anybody getting a next gen console at launch?

Video game themed message board
LwnmwrMan222

Re: Anybody getting a next gen console at launch?

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:21 am
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:01 am
jffl_commish wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:27 am

That is exactly what I'm thinking.
My honest opinion after playing for a and fall of days, it's not much different than the ps4.

Now I'm just playing call of duty, at the current time, since I'm waiting for Christmas for gifts to be given. I always ask for games.

But watching my kid play rocket league, NBA 2k, madden, games like that, yes it loads faster and yes it runs smoother, but graphics wise, there's not much different.

playing some of the campaign in call of duty cold war, I can see where the graphic intensive games will be better. I just haven't gotten into any yet to give an honest review.

personally, I would not sell mine, because my kids like having it, but if I had kids that did not care, I would go ahead and sell it.
Thanks dude. We'll see what happens when I get mine on Friday. I'll probably put it on the martketplace when I get it and pull it when I get home if it doesn't sell right away. No shot I'm going to be able to have that at my house and not hook it up.
I paid $750 for mine. The guy had it listed for $900, but I was five blocks away when he listed it, so it was a quick sale for him.

with that said, a lot of the ads look to be the same people, so I don't know if they ordered multiple units and are making bank, or if they are holding firm at $900 to $1,000, and they haven't sold theirs yet.

It will also make a slight difference if you got the disc version or the digital version. The digital version, I see being listed for $700 now.
My body, my choice.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:29 am
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:01 am

My honest opinion after playing for a and fall of days, it's not much different than the ps4.

Now I'm just playing call of duty, at the current time, since I'm waiting for Christmas for gifts to be given. I always ask for games.

But watching my kid play rocket league, NBA 2k, madden, games like that, yes it loads faster and yes it runs smoother, but graphics wise, there's not much different.

playing some of the campaign in call of duty cold war, I can see where the graphic intensive games will be better. I just haven't gotten into any yet to give an honest review.

personally, I would not sell mine, because my kids like having it, but if I had kids that did not care, I would go ahead and sell it.
Thanks dude. We'll see what happens when I get mine on Friday. I'll probably put it on the martketplace when I get it and pull it when I get home if it doesn't sell right away. No shot I'm going to be able to have that at my house and not hook it up.
I paid $750 for mine. The guy had it listed for $900, but I was five blocks away when he listed it, so it was a quick sale for him.

with that said, a lot of the ads look to be the same people, so I don't know if they ordered multiple units and are making bank, or if they are holding firm at $900 to $1,000, and they haven't sold theirs yet.

It will also make a slight difference if you got the disc version or the digital version. The digital version, I see being listed for $700 now.
I paid $800 for the digital. No regerts.

I met the guy at MOA. He seemed young, probably not even 21, and was there with his younger brother/friend. He said he got it from the gamestop there at the mall. I wondered if maybe he worked there or something.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:14 am

I met the guy at MOA. He seemed young, probably not even 21, and was there with his younger brother/friend. He said he got it from the gamestop there at the mall. I wondered if maybe he worked there or something.
Probably had the pre-order through there.

The guy I got mine from was some 21-22-year-old Asian gamer. I looked them up on Facebook before I agreed to meet him, and the first post I read was they were going for 200 wins on War zone.

Good enough for me!
My body, my choice.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:20 am

The guy I got mine from was some 21-22-year-old Asian gamer. I looked them up on Facebook before I agreed to meet him, and the first post I read was they were going for 200 wins on War zone.

Good enough for me!
He told me that he had preordered it in September and they only had 20 pre orders. Damn, no wonder they're going for so much.

#BaltimoreStrong
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:48 am
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:20 am

Good enough for me!
He told me that he had preordered it in September and they only had 20 pre orders. Damn, no wonder they're going for so much.
It would also make sense that the retailers don't bother with putting them in the stores. I'm guessing they sell them as fast as they can get their supply, and just ship direct from Sony. No reason to pay the logistics of getting them to the stores.
My body, my choice.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

The queue is open!! I'm at 11min wait

https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/ps5
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:13 pm The queue is open!! I'm at 11min wait

What is that queue for?
Let's get Tropical
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:30 pm
Rusty Kuntz wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:13 pm The queue is open!! I'm at 11min wait

What is that queue for?
To buy one. I got in but they were sold out :doublefinger:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

If anyone is still looking, this is on Walmart's site.

Available online only at 3 PM ET on Thu, Nov 19.
While supplies last.
Let's get Tropical
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:06 pm If anyone is still looking, this is on Walmart's site.

Available online only at 3 PM ET on Thu, Nov 19.
While supplies last.
I was in 2 computers right at 2 and nothing.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Pretty sure the console released in Europe today. So guessing demand is still just as high.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Does anyone have buyer's remorse yet?
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:26 pm Does anyone have buyer's remorse yet?
None, zero. I'm happier by the day. The non existent loading times... I never realized how much of my gaming life we spend sitting on loading screens.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:53 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:26 pm Does anyone have buyer's remorse yet?
None, zero. I'm happier by the day. The non existent loading times... I never realized how much of my gaming life we spend sitting on loading screens.
Wow. I suppose I never thought about it, and if it's that noticeable it must be pretty cutting edge.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Today is supposed to be the day I get mine from Best Buy. If I get it early enough before I leave town, I'll probably throw it up for sale for a bit. If not, it's going home with me and getting setup. We'll see.
Let's get Tropical
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:50 am
Wow. I suppose I never thought about it, and if it's that noticeable it must be pretty cutting edge.
I swear, you can be playing a game, shut the PS5 all the way off, turn it back on, load the game back up and be back where you were in like under 30 seconds. It's insane. The new controller with the dual sense is really sweet too.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:04 am

I swear, you can be playing a game, shut the PS5 all the way off, turn it back on, load the game back up and be back where you were in like under 30 seconds. It's insane. The new controller with the dual sense is really sweet too.
Do you project it will be that fast when they actually get Next Gen games going? I worry its like a modern day gaming rig playing Command and Conquer Red Alert for Windows 95 right now.

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:09 am

Do you project it will be that fast when they actually get Next Gen games going? I worry its like a modern day gaming rig playing Command and Conquer Red Alert for Windows 95 right now.
You very well may be correct. I'm basing this off of the PS5 version of Valhalla.

#BaltimoreStrong
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

The hardware in the unit is going to help speed up load times.

I haven't figured out how it works yet but there's been times where I've put the PS5 into rest mode, turned everything off, come back later, hit the PS button, and it's instantly back to the game that I had going, at the start menu.

Almost like it never turned off yet everything signaled that it had been put into rest mode.

I'm not certain if this happens if my kids haven't been on it before I have? But it is immensely quicker getting to the home screen than the old ps4.

the thing my wife likes, is it doesn't sound like we have a jet plane in our living room right now.

I've tried to clean out the fan in my ps4, but I was never able to accomplish it.
My body, my choice.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Yes. It's because it uses a SSD. They have been in PCs for awhile now.

Everything is quicker and will stay that way because it's not being read off a old platter style HDD.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 am

I haven't figured out how it works yet but there's been times where I've put the PS5 into rest mode, turned everything off, come back later, hit the PS button, and it's instantly back to the game that I had going, at the start menu.

Almost like it never turned off yet everything signaled that it had been put into rest mode.

I'm not certain if this happens if my kids haven't been on it before I have? But it is immensely quicker getting to the home screen than the old ps4.

the thing my wife likes, is it doesn't sound like we have a jet plane in our living room right now.

I've tried to clean out the fan in my ps4, but I was never able to accomplish it.
Yep 100%. And whatever tube says, my gaming rig doesn't do that.

#BaltimoreStrong
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:24 am
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 am

Yep 100%. And whatever tube says, my gaming rig doesn't do that.
The resume modes are exclusive to the video game systems. Xbox new resume is actually even faster than Ps5.

I was meaning the load times and the snappiness of the UI.

Do you have a SSD in your PC?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

There isn't some secret sauce here boys. These have been taken apart on various websites. If you ever built a gaming PC you know what you are looking at.

AMD processors and GPUs is both Xbox and Playstation with M.2 SSDs

Standard PC parts for awhile. Difference is, these would cost you about 1,200 dollars to build a equal rig. These consoles are very good value this time around.

The PS4 and Xbox One were complete underpowered piles of shit the day they came out hence them having to do a Pro and Xbox One X.

The days of console manufacturers making their own tech like "The Cell" (PS3) etc are pong over. These systems are now off the shelf PC parts
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Jesus tube, you sound like a fucking nut.

Let it go.

#BaltimoreStrong
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Mine is in, picking up soon. Decided I'm not selling and will be loading that thing up when I get home. I'm hoping I have a lan cable long enough to get from my router to it so it loads up faster.
Let's get Tropical
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:21 am There isn't some secret sauce here boys. These have been taken apart on various websites. If you ever built a gaming PC you know what you are looking at.

AMD processors and GPUs is both Xbox and Playstation with M.2 SSDs

Standard PC parts for awhile. Difference is, these would cost you about 1,200 dollars to build a equal rig. These consoles are very good value this time around.

The PS4 and Xbox One were complete underpowered piles of shit the day they came out hence them having to do a Pro and Xbox One X.

The days of console manufacturers making their own tech like "The Cell" (PS3) etc are pong over. These systems are now off the shelf PC parts
Cool. I don't have a gaming PC, I've never owned a gaming PC and I have no desire to own one.

I'm just saying compared to the PS4, the ps3, the ps2, and the original playstation, this is the fastest gaming console I've owned.

Nothing more, nothing less. I could really give a shit about any technical terms or what's in the unit.
My body, my choice.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Setting this thing up is none too quick. Although it's nice that it pulls over PS4 data
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Also, this thing is ginormous. Just, why?
Let's get Tropical
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:01 pm Mine is in, picking up soon. Decided I'm not selling and will be loading that thing up when I get home. I'm hoping I have a lan cable long enough to get from my router to it so it loads up faster.
That's a good idea. I have a 10ft cable that Ill have to use when I get mine. My modem is is my kitchen in the cabinet above the fridge. I'll set up a spare 32" near by to get it done. Enjoy your ps5, I'm jealous! I'm curving every day.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:35 pm Also, this thing is ginormous. Just, why?
How much taller than the 4? And can you set it on its side instead of having it vertical? I'm gonna have to adjust my shelfs i think