Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers 2020-2021 Season

Home for Gopher Basketball
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: Gophers 2020-2021 Season

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

That list is less than exciting.

I don't think the Gophers will be able to compete for Moser. Not if Indiana wants him anyway. If it was going to be Gates, you'd think that would have already happened, or at least be strong rumors that it's coming.
Let's get Tropical
full force five

Post by full force five »

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:43 pm For Shake he's had 5 straight NCAA Round 1 losses, a losing conference record while at UT and a much better recruiting base than Minnesota.
Wait Minnesota has consistently better talent than Texas? Put down the bong, Minnesota has decent players and it's improving every year. In 2021 Texas has three five stars, and 20 plus 3 and 4 star guys.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Baske ... l&State=TX
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

full force five wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:39 am
Slap Shot wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:43 pm For Shake he's had 5 straight NCAA Round 1 losses, a losing conference record while at UT and a much better recruiting base than Minnesota.
Wait Minnesota has consistently better talent than Texas? Put down the bong, Minnesota has decent players and it's improving every year. In 2021 Texas has three five stars, and 20 plus 3 and 4 star guys.

How many D1 schools does Texas have? 10? 15? Not challenging the recruiting numbers or anything, just the insanity of in state competition they have down there. Makes even more crazy with so many relevant football teams every year.
Let's get Tropical
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:38 am That list is less than exciting.

I don't think the Gophers will be able to compete for Moser. Not if Indiana wants him anyway. If it was going to be Gates, you'd think that would have already happened, or at least be strong rumors that it's coming.
Hopefully it's just Coyle doing due diligence until some bigger targets are available.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:15 am
Would be very happy with Jacobson. Didn't even think they were looking at him.

People need to check expectations. This isn't as good of a job as some think, at least not right now. Why the hell would Muss leave Arkansas to come here? The big dogs are going elsewhere.

I'm being told many have said no and the list is between Smith, Jacobsen and Gates. That's the reality of it.

Look for Smith to be named head coach very soon imo.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

"On the horizon". Guessing that's Gates and KSTP is getting cute with a little play on words.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:13 am

People need to check expectations. This isn't as good of a job as some think, at least not right now. Why the hell would Muss leave Arkansas to come here? The big dogs are going elsewhere.

I'm being told many have said no and the list is between Smith, Jacobsen and Gates. That's the reality of it.

Indiana and Minnesota sources are saying Musselman if he leaves wants to go back west. And his buyout is 5 mil... until may 1. Indiana message board has multiple people including Brian Snow from 247 saying you cannot wait until May.

I think it's good they talked to Ben Jacobson, over the years he's been mentioned as someone who deserves a shot. I think it's the right move if they interviewed Ben Johnson too as a courtesy to help him and help themselves see where he's at with his career.

Seems like the steam has cooled quite a bit on Dennis Gates. As I've said all along I think it will be Gates, Smith or Medved and at this point I am not backing off that. Smith likely will come here or take Utah for money purposes alone.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:38 am That list is less than exciting.

Indiana should go all in on Moser at this point. Throw a blank check in front of him.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

My prediction is Craig Smith is announced as coach Wednesday mid morning. And I’d be fine with that. Not sexy but he’s proven to be a winner everywhere.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:57 am

Indiana and Minnesota sources are saying Musselman if he leaves wants to go back west. And his buyout is 5 mil... until may 1. Indiana message board has multiple people including Brian Snow from 247 saying you cannot wait until May.

I think it's good they talked to Ben Jacobson, over the years he's been mentioned as someone who deserves a shot. I think it's the right move if they interviewed Ben Johnson too as a courtesy to help him and help themselves see where he's at with his career.

Seems like the steam has cooled quite a bit on Dennis Gates. As I've said all along I think it will be Gates, Smith or Medved and at this point I am not backing off that. Smith likely will come here or take Utah for money purposes alone.
Some Gopher fans are freaking out about Jacobson saying we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Some at GH are saying they would rather have Mitchell. I don't agree.

The Mosers, Shakas, Musselmans are not coming here.

My rankings of the realistic list are....

Jacobson
Gates (These two are pretty even for me)

Smith

Medved

I'm not going to rip Smith or Medved if hired but they are rather unexciting hires. I think the ceilings are higher with guys like Gates but the floor might be lower. Smith and Medved reek of being an 8-10 Big Ten team most year's.

The announcement is coming soon though and could even happen by the end of today but for sure this week.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:56 am
"On the horizon". Guessing that's Gates and KSTP is getting cute with a little play on words.
Yeah, I've seen some reports that Gates is interviewing early this week.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:05 am

Some Gopher fans are freaking out about Jacobson saying we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Some at GH are saying they would rather have Mitchell. I don't agree.

Jacobson

Smith

Medved

I'm not going to rip Smith or Medved if hired but they are rather unexciting hires. I think the ceilings are higher with guys like Gates but the floor might be lower. Smith and Medved reek of being an 8-10 Big Ten team most year's.

The announcement is coming soon though and could even happen by the end of today but for sure this week.
Medved and Smith have a lot of backing at the U and/or local basketball community. Medved especially -- Tyus isn't just throwing up a tweet (Geno Crandall did too) for the hell of it. Niko would do well here, I'm convinced.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

full force five wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:39 am

You might want to read that again sporto.
full force five

Jacobson

Smith

Medved

I don't think Medved is realistic at this point. I can see him going to Indiana or Marquette, both are better jobs than Minnesota. Not saying Jacobson is scrapping the bottom of the barrel but can we do a little better. I don't understand the Sam Mitchell hate honestly he has HC experience and can related to 17-20 years olds.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

full force five wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:48 am

Jacobson

Smith

Medved

I don't think Medved is realistic at this point. I can see him going to Indiana or Marquette, both are better jobs than Minnesota. Not saying Jacobson is scrapping the bottom of the barrel but can we do a little better. I don't understand the Sam Mitchell hate honestly he has HC experience and can related to 17-20 years olds.
I think you're confusing Medved and Moser.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Anyone see Musselmans "Look at me" celebration yesterday?

We already have one jerk off here in Philip John. I'm cool on the basketball team not having a guy like this.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
full force five

feekdogg wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:51 am

Jacobson

Smith

Medved

Nope Medved I guess is a maybe . . . . going from CSU to Minnesota is an upgrade but how much?
Moser I think is a better fit for Marquette, a much better program.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

full force five wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:57 am

Nope Medved I guess is a maybe . . . . going from CSU to Minnesota is an upgrade but how much?
Why on earth would Indiana basketball be interested in Niko Medved?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:04 am
full force five wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:57 am

Why on earth would Indiana basketball be interested in Niko Medved?
Right, Medved will not come up at Marquette or Indiana. Indiana fans would burn the arena down.

Marquette will have higher ambitions too... if Medved wasn't connected locally in Minnesota, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be a candidate yet for Minnesota.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

No announcements are imminent and process is likely going to drag into next week from my sources
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
full force five

Sid Hartman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:14 pm No announcements are imminent and process is likely going to drag into next week from my sources
Wasn't a long drawn out process when we hired Pitino? Nearly a month and I think 5-6 coaches turned us down.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

full force five wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:26 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:14 pm No announcements are imminent and process is likely going to drag into next week from my sources
Wasn't a long drawn out process when we hired Pitino? Nearly a month and I think 5-6 coaches turned us down.
It's going to be done soon.

Received a call and unless something changes drastically, Craig Smith is the next Gophers HC.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:27 pm

Received a call and unless something changes drastically, Craig Smith is the next Gophers HC.
Not sure who you are talking to but he hasn’t even interviewed yet. I have worked in college sports for 15 years now and have sat in Coyle’s office for an hour with him and talked to him at numerous conferences. Have great sources all over the country and not one person is saying this is the case. We can agree to disagree but I’m skeptical of the intel
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sid Hartman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:31 pm

Not sure who you are talking to but he hasn’t even interviewed yet. I have worked in college sports for 15 years now and have sat in Coyle’s office for an hour with him and talked to him at numerous conferences. Have great sources all over the country and not one person is saying this is the case. We can agree to disagree but I’m skeptical of the intel
I think the "15" you meant is the under on how many bits you have here. :lol:

Hey, I hope I'm wrong. I'm just told this is Coyles guy.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Waiting on Muss?!
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:34 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:31 pm

I think the "15" you meant is the under on how many bits you have here. :lol:

Hey, I hope I'm wrong. I'm just told this is Coyles guy.
If I have 15 then you must have 100...one of these days maybe one of them will actually be right on a scoop lol. He might he Coyle’s guy but there is zero chatter in the AD networks saying that’s the case...there is more steam about Smith taking over at Utah
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:35 pm
Waiting on Muss?!
You are doing yourself a disservice not to at least talk to him directly and make him say no. There is absolutely zero reason to rush the hire if there is a potential game changing candidate that will listen to Coyle’s pitch (and might even be potentially intrigued)
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sid Hartman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:39 pm
Waiting on Muss?!
You are doing yourself a disservice not to at least talk to him directly and make him say no. There is absolutely zero reason to rush the hire if there is a potential game changing candidate that will listen to Coyle’s pitch (and might even be potentially intrigued)
That sure changed quick, Sid. You had him as "The guy" a few days ago and now you just want to hear him say no? :lol:

He was never an option.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:48 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:39 pm

Waiting on Muss?!
That sure changed quick, Sid. You had him as "The guy" a few days ago and now you just want to hear him say no? :lol:

He was never an option.
Oh he’s still an option...his agent hasn’t said no yet, but wants to not talk about it until after Arkansas season is complete. Arkansas alumns are mobilizing and talking 4+M a year which Coyle can’t do