Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Simple Poll: Trade the #1 Pick or Keep it.

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Trade the Pick or keep it?

TRADE
64%
KEEP
21%
Meh
15%

Total votes: 72

j2j

Re: Simple Poll: Trade the #1 Pick or Keep it.

Post by j2j »

Herky wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:31 pm
RM22 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:48 pm Ok. I'm no where near as big on the NBA or the Wolves since KG left. But I know there are many passionate fans. Thanks for answering my questions.

And if anyone cares. I once impersonated Kevin Harlan on Center court and won vs 2 others. Good times.
Look it’s **** Boy aka The Real Woogie.
Pretty sure RM22 is Jorts Minn, not Woogie. Live from someone else's deck, riding an exercise ball.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
witljon

Post by witljon »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:40 am Defense shmefense. It's over rated in today's nba. All we need to do is run down the court and shoot 3s. The more the merrier, and if I see one fucker shoot a layup it will be his last! All 3s all the time baby! 3 3 3 3 3!!!!!
You against dunks too?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:40 am
j2j wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:08 pm
RM22 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:44 pm

But isn't the GM trying to build a run and gun 120+ points per game team? It worked for Golden State.
Golden State had one of the best defenses in the league. That's the difference.
Defense shmefense. It's over rated in today's nba. All we need to do is run down the court and shoot 3s. The more the merrier, and if I see one fucker shoot a layup it will be his last! All 3s all the time baby! 3 3 3 3 3!!!!!
Stick to kidnapping female posters on the main board. ;)

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Stork311 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:36 am
Style wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:21 am
RM22 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:49 am Why isn't anyone talking about Obi Toppin?

Obi Toppin's synergy profile. He ranks in the 99th percentile of points per possession this season.
He plays no D.
But he is a worker...so it becomes...doesn’t or can’t?

Again I agree 1 is to high...but Cleveland at 5 might be a nice landing spot with at least a choice of one of the following OBi, OO or Wiseman there...assuming Edwards and Ball are in top 4.
The Obi plays no D narrative is the most ludicrous garbage ever. Don't let those pesky facts get in the way of a tweet.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:11 am
Stork311 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:36 am
Style wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:21 am

He plays no D.
But he is a worker...so it becomes...doesn’t or can’t?

Again I agree 1 is to high...but Cleveland at 5 might be a nice landing spot with at least a choice of one of the following OBi, OO or Wiseman there...assuming Edwards and Ball are in top 4.
The Obi plays no D narrative is the most ludicrous garbage ever. Don't let those pesky facts get in the way of a tweet.
Yes. Ageee. And also don’t like the “low athleticism” angle. I live the guy, seems to really understand the game, works his butt off, plays well with and without the ball, and both back to and facing the hoop. Rebounds and can be physical. But 22 is apparently ancient....ugh. But...if we can move down with purpose and let someone else who loves Edwards or Ball come up for cost, I am onboard 💯.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

A few nuggets in here from Doogie:

The Knicks and Bulls like Ball and could be a trade option.

Hawks might be interested in trading up for hometown kid, Anthony Edwards.

A few other names and nuggets in there as well.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:25 pm A few nuggets in here from Doogie:

Give me the Hawks pick and either Huerter or Hunter.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:00 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:25 pm A few nuggets in here from Doogie:

Give me the Hawks pick and either Huerter or Hunter.
Gross. You people just want to throw this pick away.

Wiseman!!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

I think Hunter is going to be a really good player. He'd be a great option at 3/4 and then we can draft Okoro, Vassell, Okongwu, or Haliburton.
Style

Post by Style »

Good link with fun speculation. I wouldn’t move down for anyone on ATL or CHI without their 2021 1st coming to us.

Carter, Markkanen, Huerter, Hunter = nice players, but capped upside.

For Chicago, I’d accept 4/White/21 1st. Maybe we sweeten it with 33, Naz, or some other small asset.

For Atlanta, I’d be seeking Reddish/6?/21 1st.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

Style wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:47 pm Good link with fun speculation. I wouldn’t move down for anyone on ATL or CHI without their 2021 1st coming to us.

Carter, Markkanen, Huerter, Hunter = nice players, but capped upside.

For Chicago, I’d accept 4/White/21 1st. Maybe we sweeten it with 33, Naz, or some other small asset.

For Atlanta, I’d be seeking Reddish/6?/21 1st.
If we trade down I want okongwu or obi so don't need a big.. white would be good. Okongwu and white
Style

Post by Style »

Also interesting to hear Doogie throw out the possibility of a 1/2 trade with GS for our own pick back next year.

That’d be the dream.

Must sell hard that we’ll take GS’s guy or we’ll trade to a team who will take him. (Edwards? Atlanta?)

Move down to 2. Edwards off the board. Now trade 2 to Chicago/NY for Ball. Acquire more assets. Make NY bid against Chicago for Ball.

Welcome back 21 1st. Welcome NY 21 1st. Welcome Robinson. Welcome Vassell (#8).

I’m going to get back to NBA 2K now.
j2j

Post by j2j »

If 1 for 2/our pick back were an option that would be pretty ideal.

The only way I think it would be if Golden State LOVES Wiseman and thinks someone else wants him. Doubtful.

Style

Post by Style »

j2j wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:10 pm If 1 for 2/our pick back were an option that would be pretty ideal.

The only way I think it would be if Golden State LOVES Wiseman and thinks someone else wants him. Doubtful.
They’re too smart for us, unfortunately.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

j2j wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:10 pm If 1 for 2/our pick back were an option that would be pretty ideal.

This would be amazing if we could pull it off :beer:
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:13 pm

Wiseman just makes so much sense for them. Just plug him in to defend and dunk.they have the scoring. If they get ball or Edwards are they good enough to change Steph or Clay's role? No way. Wiseman is perfect there. But as doogie says I think the Knicks want ball and ball wants them. Not sure I'd trade down that far unless I know obi or okongwu are there though.

Chicago at 4 ,sure. Depending on the throw in.but otherwise take and play Wiseman
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

If we got our pick back and number 2 I'd say screw it and just take okongwu there.or trade down just a couple,if Chicago wants ball
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

swenjj wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:58 pm

Wiseman just makes so much sense for them. Just plug him in to defend and dunk.they have the scoring. If they get ball or Edwards are they good enough to change Steph or Clay's role? No way. Wiseman is perfect there. But as doogie says I think the Knicks want ball and ball wants them. Not sure I'd trade down that far unless I know obi or okongwu are there though.

Chicago at 4 ,sure. Depending on the throw in.but otherwise take and play Wiseman
Zero change Obi and Wu are there at the Knicks pick.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Zero change Obi and Wu are there at the Knicks pick.
That's why it would have to be a steep price. First time we ever moved up , no pick next year, hopefully last lotto pick..we gotta make this count.
I'd be fine going down to 4 or 5..after that I would but they gotta pay big or just draft and roll
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

j2j wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:08 pm
RM22 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:44 pm

But isn't the GM trying to build a run and gun 120+ points per game team? It worked for Golden State.
Golden State had one of the best defenses in the league. That's the difference.
Defense shmefense. It's over rated in today's nba. All we need to do is run down the court and shoot 3s. The more the merrier, and if I see one fucker shoot a layup it will be his last! All 3s all the time baby! 3 3 3 3 3!!!!!
What about a layup from three?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:24 pm
LordNu wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:09 pm

What about a layup from three?
Acceptable but not preferred.
You're a hard task master.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:51 pm
LordNu wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:31 pm

I simply refuse to compromise.
Whisky or nothing with you.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Alright I'm excited about this possibility.. let's start the Wiseman smoke screen so the warriors give us our pick back plus their second rounder. Then we start the Ball smoke screen and trade with the Bulls for a top 3 protected next year. Take Toppin at 4, and walk away with our pick back, a first next year, and the #2 second round pick.. we could then do a package of the #1&2 second for a future first.. :beer:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:34 pm

Alright I'm excited about this possibility.. let's start the Wiseman smoke screen so the warriors give us our pick back plus their second rounder. Then we start the Ball smoke screen and trade with the Bulls for a top 3 protected next year. Take Toppin at 4, and walk away with our pick back, a first next year, and the #2 second round pick.. we could then do a package of the #1&2 second for a future first.. :beer:
Wiseman is not a good basketball player. Athletically he certainly is among the highest upside guys and if you can get him to simply play hard you have a high floor. But I do not see the fit everyone seems to see with GS. He does not fit their timeline. And as the complete piece of shit chump he was bailing on Penny and Mem after all they did and risked for him why does GS want him? I am very much hoping that GS finds a trade partner because they are smart and in win now mode. They stay at 2 and I think they will take Obi away from us. Think of him on GS? Might be even a better fit there than with us and that's saying something.

Bulls seem to be the trade down spot for me. Not for Ball but for Edwards. They see him as their next Jordan and they get a year to groom him behind Porter until he expires or they get a good offer for Lavine. They have a ton of cap space after next year so would have no issue giving us their lightly protected 1st next year but we could get more. I want a deal like this.

Layman
Evans

for

Gafford
D. Valentine
Protected 1st in the 8-10 range next year.

At #4 we will get at least one of the only 2 players we should be taking in Obi or OO.

Valentine gets us out from under Layman's money a year early and his expiring could be a nice piece at the deadline.

Evans for Gafford swap is a no brainer.

#44 can be used with 33 to move up for a target or pushed into the future. Maybe even for a low end but solid vet.

The protected 1st is the obvious minimum price to go from #4 to #1 but I would except more than the top 3 protection you would expect for the minor cap help and Gafford and 2nd rounder assets.

That is the kind of deal a legit GM can make gold with. That's how you build a team. It's why the current chumps will not even consider it but god willing they will be gone. Take Obi at 4 you have your crazy good offensive fit and contrary to stupid opinion a huge upgrade defensively over Hermanmunster. Adding Gafford and his excellent size/athleticism/defense to the front line also sends Hermanmunster to the dumpster. 3 and D guy like T. Bey at #17 along with a couple month tryout for Denzel. Then his expiring to use at the deadline. Yummy gets his wish at 33 and we take a PG to replace Evans in the G and hopefully break out enough to move Russell someday. 44 you take a euro stash, a solid sure thing guy who will agree to a bunch of one year deam option's type deal or trade it for 2 future unprotected 2nds. Frontcourt depth and athletic problems fixed. Future flexibility and assets added. That's ow good teams get built. Can bet we wil do the literal opposite.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

OK then Abe. Here's you crazy offense option that can easily be done.

#1 and J. Johnson

For

#4 and Lavine.

They do it because they have seen that Lavine is a scorer who can not be your 1st option or you lose. They are going to move him because they are not going to re-sign him and his value is not high as he makes near 20 and is well known for what he is. He makes every all-overrated team. They would kill to get Edwards as the "next Jordan" they are always looking for. And at the deadline they can use Johnson's expiring and it can likely get them close to what they would get for Lavine. They get one more year to grow (tank) until Porter is gone and they have a high pick and a shit load of cap room.

We do it because at #4 we can still get Obi or OO. Obi if we want to go straight up 150 a night like you want. OO if we want some extra D. Start and finish with Russell/Lavine/Beasley. Russell/Lavine leave on offense for defense end of game obviously. Rest of the game split Russell/Lavine/Towns as much as possible. Every other guy on the roster defends, rebounds, and plays hard, smart, unselfish ball.

Would be crazy........and fun.........and maddening.............and stupid. But imagine the luck if Lavine came back pissed and wanting to win and it bled over onto Towns and Russell. What if Culver becomes the perfect 2nd handle who can take the tough matchup when one of the guns sits? What if we get a coach who coaches to our strengths and get a roving shot blocker to let Towns camp inside to block at the rim which is his only defensive strength? Never bet on it to work enough to contend but who beats us on a night that 3 of our 4 guns are hot? No one that's who. As long as they are all cool with 2-3 less shots a night.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:27 pm

#1 and J. Johnson

For

#4 and Lavine.

They do it because they have seen that Lavine is a scorer who can not be your 1st option or you lose. They are going to move him because they are not going to re-sign him and his value is not high as he makes near 20 and is well known for what he is. He makes every all-overrated team. They would kill to get Edwards as the "next Jordan" they are always looking for. And at the deadline they can use Johnson's expiring and it can likely get them close to what they would get for Lavine. They get one more year to grow (tank) until Porter is gone and they have a high pick and a shit load of cap room.

We do it because at #4 we can still get Obi or OO. Obi if we want to go straight up 150 a night like you want. OO if we want some extra D. Start and finish with Russell/Lavine/Beasley. Russell/Lavine leave on offense for defense end of game obviously. Rest of the game split Russell/Lavine/Towns as much as possible. Every other guy on the roster defends, rebounds, and plays hard, smart, unselfish ball.

Would be crazy........and fun.........and maddening.............and stupid. But imagine the luck if Lavine came back pissed and wanting to win and it bled over onto Towns and Russell. What if Culver becomes the perfect 2nd handle who can take the tough matchup when one of the guns sits? What if we get a coach who coaches to our strengths and get a roving shot blocker to let Towns camp inside to block at the rim which is his only defensive strength? Never bet on it to work enough to contend but who beats us on a night that 3 of our 4 guns are hot? No one that's who. As long as they are all cool with 2-3 less shots a night.
DLo
Lavine
Beasley
Toppin
KAT

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:40 pm

#1 and J. Johnson

For

#4 and Lavine.

Idk... I mean, Zach can dunk and there will be NONE OF THAT while I'm in charge.
He can get those out in warmups. He's is a 3 point gunner. Gonna bet he's at least 15% better from 3 than Russell.
Jgrimmz

Post by Jgrimmz »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:45 pm

#1 and J. Johnson

For

#4 and Lavine.

DLo
Lavine
Beasley
Toppin
KAT

In. I would be all for that trade down with the right player available, but I’m not convinced Chicago is willing to deal lavine. It would be entertaining to watch a russel, Lavine, and toppin combo in the front court with kat and Reid anchoring the rim protection. Defense would suffer, but with the right head coach?
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:34 pm

^^^^. This is a perfect option if we don’t stand pat and take Wiseman, which is my preferred option