Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

All Things FromSoftware: SoulsBourneCoreRing

Video game themed message board
Jimi_Thing

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Thanks for the tips Salamander, YBBR, and Moses. Playing this game is more frustrating, aggravating, and stressful than being a Wolves fan. Cleared out one area, after numerous frustrating attempts, just to open the chest and get warped to a section that I have no business being in and I can't exit out of.

After banging my head against the wall and somehow managing not to smash my controller on Wednesday, I took Salamander's advice and watched some Youtube clips for beginners and started fresh yesterday for several hours on Thursday. Basically taking the approach of getting my horse and exploring all over the map, finding save points, unlocking the map, grabbing seeds and gear, running away from everything, and just getting my character ready to really start the game.

I have to get rid of the mindset of needing to kill everything when it's not necessary. I also need to be more patient when it comes to battling. I was trying to LB parry everything with my shield and countering vs. rolling away and keeping my distance for an opportunity to strike. I also wasn't understanding how incredibly large the map apparently is.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

The map gets bigger, and bigger, and bigger.

That's why I tell people don't look up stuff, you're just shocked how it keeps going and going.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:04 pm Thanks for the tips Salamander, YBBR, and Moses. Playing this game is more frustrating, aggravating, and stressful than being a Wolves fan. Cleared out one area, after numerous frustrating attempts, just to open the chest and get warped to a section that I have no business being in and I can't exit out of.

After banging my head against the wall and somehow managing not to smash my controller on Wednesday, I took Salamander's advice and watched some Youtube clips for beginners and started fresh yesterday for several hours on Thursday. Basically taking the approach of getting my horse and exploring all over the map, finding save points, unlocking the map, grabbing seeds and gear, running away from everything, and just getting my character ready to really start the game.

I have to get rid of the mindset of needing to kill everything when it's not necessary. I also need to be more patient when it comes to battling. I was trying to LB parry everything with my shield and countering vs. rolling away and keeping my distance for an opportunity to strike. I also wasn't understanding how incredibly large the map apparently is.
I get what you mean. Try to think of death as a learning experience. Once the game clicks you'll absolutely fall in love.

I put down bloodborne like three times before it happened to me.

The not killing everything part for me was really tough to crack at first too. I just never played games like that before but it's almost essential for FromSoft games.

Also one huge thing that I really struggled with is rolling into attacks is far safer than rolling away from attacks. A lot of the time, the safest place to be is in the enemies face and rolling into the attack.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

salamander wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:56 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:04 pm Thanks for the tips Salamander, YBBR, and Moses. Playing this game is more frustrating, aggravating, and stressful than being a Wolves fan. Cleared out one area, after numerous frustrating attempts, just to open the chest and get warped to a section that I have no business being in and I can't exit out of.

I get what you mean. Try to think of death as a learning experience. Once the game clicks you'll absolutely fall in love.

I put down bloodborne like three times before it happened to me.

The not killing everything part for me was really tough to crack at first too. I just never played games like that before but it's almost essential for FromSoft games.

Also one huge thing that I really struggled with is rolling into attacks is far safer than rolling away from attacks. A lot of the time, the safest place to be is in the enemies face and rolling into the attack.
Bingo.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Hidetaka Miyazaki named one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people in the world. Only the 2nd Japanese developer ever. (Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto is the other)

Miyazaki's entry in the list (penned by The Last of Us director Neil Druckmann) notes that Elden Ring "is a great ambassador for video games and the unique feelings they can effect in the player, feelings that a passive medium like TV can never re-create. Miyazaki's games make the player feel accomplished and smart." Druckmann notes FromSoftware's "uncompromising approach," in which it "refuses to overexplain the mechanics or the lore, but puts [its] trust in the player to figure it out on their own."

https://www.gamesradar.com/dark-souls-a ... the-world/
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

salamander wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:44 am Hidetaka Miyazaki named one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people in the world. Only the 2nd Japanese developer ever. (Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto is the other)

Miyazaki's entry in the list (penned by The Last of Us director Neil Druckmann) notes that Elden Ring "is a great ambassador for video games and the unique feelings they can effect in the player, feelings that a passive medium like TV can never re-create. Miyazaki's games make the player feel accomplished and smart." Druckmann notes FromSoftware's "uncompromising approach," in which it "refuses to overexplain the mechanics or the lore, but puts [its] trust in the player to figure it out on their own."

Probably have posted this before, but it's really great and inspiring.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:15 am
salamander wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:44 am Hidetaka Miyazaki named one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people in the world. Only the 2nd Japanese developer ever. (Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto is the other)

Probably have posted this before, but it's really great and inspiring.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
I have seen that before. Love it.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Elden Ring just won one of the most prestigious awards in Science Fiction or Fantasy writing.
Took home the Nebula Award for the gaming category.

The Nebula Award has been given out since 1966 to a handful of various writing categories and the gaming category was just created in 2018.

Previous winners:
2019: Black Mirror: Bandersnatch
2020: The outer Worlds
2021: Hades
2022: Thirsty Sword Lesbians
2023: Elden Ring

(I just included that last part because I wanted to type Thirsty Sword Lesbians.)
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Armored Core then Elden Ring DLC. It's a great time to be a From fan.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

salamander wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:00 pm Elden Ring just won one of the most prestigious awards in Science Fiction or Fantasy writing.

The Nebula Award has been given out since 1966 to a handful of various writing categories and the gaming category was just created in 2018.

Previous winners:

(I just included that last part because I wanted to type Thirsty Sword Lesbians.)
A valid reason. I'm actually playing The Outer Worlds right now, and am laughing a fair bit at the dialogue. "It's not just another diet toothpaste. It's THE diet toothpaste!" Oh yeah, also Hades rules. Play Hades you heathens!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

YBBR wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:32 pm
salamander wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:00 pm Elden Ring just won one of the most prestigious awards in Science Fiction or Fantasy writing.

Previous winners:

A valid reason. I'm actually playing The Outer Worlds right now, and am laughing a fair bit at the dialogue. "It's not just another diet toothpaste. It's THE diet toothpaste!" Oh yeah, also Hades rules. Play Hades you heathens!
I just can't handle that isometric stuff. I tried Diablo and was like, nope.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:02 pm Armored Core then Elden Ring DLC. It's a great time to be a From fan.
Fuck yeah.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:05 pm
YBBR wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:32 pm

Previous winners:

I just can't handle that isometric stuff. I tried Diablo and was like, nope.
Yeah, I'm not sure it's 100% up your alley, but it's a great game. I always think the immersive sims and the Souls games are more to your taste.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

salamander

Post by salamander »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:24 am This shit is spot on and hilarious...
Said restricted so I couldn't watch. Nevermind, I clicked watch on youtube.
Last edited by salamander on Wed May 24, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

salamander wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:46 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:24 am This shit is spot on and hilarious...
Said restricted so I couldn't watch.
Shoot. Not sure why it's age restricted. Hope you take a minute to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ytcV8UQa8
salamander

Post by salamander »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:48 pm
salamander wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:46 pm
Said restricted so I couldn't watch.
Shoot. Not sure why it's age restricted. Hope you take a minute to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ytcV8UQa8
:lol: Yup! Spot on.
salamander

Post by salamander »

One of my favorite FromSoftware videos all time is this one.
The payoff at the end of the 2nd video with fan favorite, Solaire, is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI0n42t4_0g&t=13s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDe5eIFgIZI&t=105s

I don't know why those aren't working.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

These are my favorite Elden Ring ones, Carbot animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSyRf8r ... EtNKBXvWPn
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:37 pm These are my favorite Elden Ring ones, Carbot animation.

:lol: that first one made me laugh. I'll have to check them out.
salamander

Post by salamander »

How far have you gotten into Elden Ring Jimi? Things getting easier?
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:37 pm These are my favorite Elden Ring ones, Carbot animation.

These were absolutely fantastic. I laughed several times. The invaded one especially got me.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

salamander wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:38 am

These were absolutely fantastic. I laughed several times. The invaded one especially got me.
My GF has watched me playing Elden Ring and she was laughing at these.

I'm always amazed at the talent on youtube.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:14 am
salamander wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:38 am

My GF has watched me playing Elden Ring and she was laughing at these.

I'm always amazed at the talent on youtube.
There is some banger comedy on youtube, no doubt about that.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sally, you should rename this thread to All Things FromSoftware: SoulsBourneCoreRing
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:35 pm Sally, you should rename this thread to All Things FromSoftware: SoulsBourneCoreRing
Done!
Moses Scurry

Re: All Things FromSoftware: SoulsBourneCoreRing

Post by Moses Scurry »

I think Armored Core 6 looks like the tits. Mech building could be a nice winter time sink.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:51 am I think Armored Core 6 looks like the tits. Mech building could be a nice winter time sink.
I haven't played Armored Core since the original and loved that game.

Used to know a guy who was a massive fan of Armored Core 4. Think I'll try it.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Not sure I'm gonna git gud. This camera control is a bitch.