Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

All Things FromSoftware: SoulsBourneCoreRing

Video game themed message board
YBBR

Re: Elden Ring

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:12 am The single strongest weapon IMO is the scavangers curved sword. Can only get one per playthrough but put an occult on it with it's built in bleed, absolute domination.
So many weapons in this game. You got to look up what the hell is worth using! I went back to Rivers of Blood because Dark Moon was cool but a little too far away from the action for me. I'm just used to a katana after playing the whole game with one.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Cripes, fired up ER last night and was just dinking around the Caelid swamp and found 3 more items I missed.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I hath beateth thy Elden Ring!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I think Malenia was the toughest boss for me. Her Water dance move or whatever where she does those 3 AOE massive cacophony of whirling blades is just basically death in that fight. Every time you spam roll and pray to make it through. Also her second form when she does the little guys with Swords coming at you and then she pauses and stabs. That move also killed me a lot.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

YBBR wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:06 pm I hath beateth thy Elden Ring!
Which ending? Ranni?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:32 am
Which ending? Ranni?
Yes. I did that one.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Elden Ring is really a hell of game. Breaking news, I know. If you're into mechanics heavy action games or action RPGs or third person action games of any stripe, you should probably give this a go. I tried a few others but this was the first Souls game I actually completed. Longest damn one too.

The world they build this game around is hella cool. Even though I would have personally preferred more interstitial story bits thrown in at times to flesh it out more. It really was the gameplay and mechanics that kept me coming back to Elden Ring.

Elden Ring and Yakuza: Like a Dragon were the two best games I played this year.

9.5/10
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

YBBR wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:46 pm Elden Ring is really a hell of game. Breaking news, I know. If you're into mechanics heavy action games or action RPGs or third person action games of any stripe, you should probably give this a go. I tried a few others but this was the first Souls game I actually completed. Longest damn one too.

The world they build this game around is hella cool. Even though I would have personally preferred more interstitial story bits thrown in at times to flesh it out more. It really was the gameplay and mechanics that kept me coming back to Elden Ring.

Elden Ring and Yakuza: Like a Dragon were the two best games I played this year.

9.5/10
Can't wait for a DLC. Is it going to be a Miquella story? Lord of Blood? Who knows?!!!

I can't recall, did you play Sekiro?

I tried Melania last night on NG+4 solo. :lol: What a nightmare.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:17 am
YBBR wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:46 pm Elden Ring is really a hell of game. Breaking news, I know. If you're into mechanics heavy action games or action RPGs or third person action games of any stripe, you should probably give this a go. I tried a few others but this was the first Souls game I actually completed. Longest damn one too.

9.5/10
Can't wait for a DLC. Is it going to be a Miquella story? Lord of Blood? Who knows?!!!

No, I never played Sekiro and that's the other one that has me interested. I'm probably not going to Dark Souls 3 or anything before that but I could get down with Sekiro. I like the setting and hear it's the most pure physical combat focused out of all their games.

The impression that I get is that's its in the mold of the Soulsborne games but also a bit outside of that because of how the combat works and functions.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

YBBR wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:59 pm

9.5/10

No, I never played Sekiro and that's the other one that has me interested. I'm probably not going to Dark Souls 3 or anything before that but I could get down with Sekiro. I like the setting and hear it's the most pure physical combat focused out of all their games.

The impression that I get is that's its in the mold of the Soulsborne games but also a bit outside of that because of how the combat works and functions.
It's simply the best (mechanically) game they have made. I was hoping Elden Ring would pull in more of the mechanics but all we got was jumping. :lol:

Once you figure how you are supposed to play it (not like DS/BB/ER) it's a joy. Plus it's gorgeous and has a storyline you can follow which I know you'll appreciate.

Oh, and only play it in Japanese with subtitles, the English overdubs are bad.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Congrats!
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:59 pm

9.5/10

Sekiro actually has a lot more story up front to it unlike the other Fromsoftware games. Its also the best combat system they've ever made.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Troll Trollson

Post by Troll Trollson »

This was my first souls game. I suck at hard games so I wasn't too sure of buying it but the reviews for it sold me on trying it. I kinda cheated and played on easy mode with ROB before the balancing patch. But Holy shit, this game was amazing. The best game I played all year. I bought Bloodborne and the Demon Souls remake. I'll start them this winter when I have more time.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Troll Trollson wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:03 am This was my first souls game. I suck at hard games so I wasn't too sure of buying it but the reviews for it sold me on trying it. I kinda cheated and played on easy mode with ROB before the balancing patch. But Holy shit, this game was amazing. The best game I played all year. I bought Bloodborne and the Demon Souls remake. I'll start them this winter when I have more time.
That was 50% of the player base, me included and I'm a vet. :lol:
salamander

Post by salamander »

Troll Trollson wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:03 am This was my first souls game. I suck at hard games so I wasn't too sure of buying it but the reviews for it sold me on trying it. I kinda cheated and played on easy mode with ROB before the balancing patch. But Holy shit, this game was amazing. The best game I played all year. I bought Bloodborne and the Demon Souls remake. I'll start them this winter when I have more time.
Honestly the difficulty thing is way overblown in Fromsoftware games. It's tough for sure but it's built in a way where almost anyone can learn it and almost anyone can beat it.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Just read an article saying that data mined info "leaves space for 30 new bosses" in the upcoming DLC.

Might be a big one.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Free DLC will be opening up the Colosseum's Dec 7th.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

salamander wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:45 pm Free DLC will be opening up the Colosseum's Dec 7th.
I don't PvP hardly, so kind of a bummer that it's not the full DLC but I can wait. Smart move by From though, keep people interested and name in the headlines.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Ok, this multiplayer is pretty damn fun.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I haven't even tried it. I saw there's a mode where you can do a royal rumble type thing with summons and everything.
I want to check it out.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

salamander wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:11 pm I haven't even tried it. I saw there's a mode where you can do a royal rumble type thing with summons and everything.
I want to check it out.
Yep, royal rumble is pretty fun. 1v1, i get destroyed.

All these nerds use the various incantations to get you from range and keep you at bay. Plus their builds are way better for pvp than my pve.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:28 pm
salamander wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:11 pm I haven't even tried it. I saw there's a mode where you can do a royal rumble type thing with summons and everything.
I want to check it out.
Yep, royal rumble is pretty fun. 1v1, i get destroyed.

All these nerds use the various incantations to get you from range and keep you at bay. Plus their builds are way better for pvp than my pve.
I feel like I'm really good at the game until I fight 1v1 and get absolutely whooped. Some people are too good.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree Expansion Is Officially Announced.

No date provided. :cry:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Jeff Grubb has said he's hearing from his sources that Armored Core VI is on track for September/October. The Elden Ring DLC will come after that.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

YBBR wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:53 pm Jeff Grubb has said he's hearing from his sources that Armored Core VI is on track for September/October. The Elden Ring DLC will come after that.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

I guess that's good, new winter games, no need for them in the summer.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Got this game from a friend who is done with it. Installed it last night, jumped down the 'cave of learning', or whatever it's called, and completed that. Got in the open world and was rocked several times. Appears there aren't many places I can go without being quickly torn to shreds. The deaths are quite amusing but boy do I need some guidance.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:54 am Got this game from a friend who is done with it. Installed it last night, jumped down the 'cave of learning', or whatever it's called, and completed that. Got in the open world and was rocked several times. Appears there aren't many places I can go without being quickly torn to shreds. The deaths are quite amusing but boy do I need some guidance.
Advice...

Warrior class. Twin blades, arcane/occult/bleed/dex build. Dual wield and LB to victory.

The key to playing this game is going with the mindset: Not what you're supposed to do, but it's what can you do.

Basically, stay south of the first main boss for a while and just run around weeping peninsula and limgrave, find caves and dungeons and kill stuff.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:12 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:54 am Got this game from a friend who is done with it. Installed it last night, jumped down the 'cave of learning', or whatever it's called, and completed that. Got in the open world and was rocked several times. Appears there aren't many places I can go without being quickly torn to shreds. The deaths are quite amusing but boy do I need some guidance.
Advice...

Warrior class. Twin blades, arcane/occult/bleed/dex build. Dual wield and LB to victory.

The key to playing this game is going with the mindset: Not what you're supposed to do, but it's what can you do.

Basically, stay south of the first main boss for a while and just run around weeping peninsula and limgrave, find caves and dungeons and kill stuff.
Thanks man.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:50 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:12 pm
Advice...

Thanks man.
That's good advice. Explore a bit and youll find plenty of cool stuff that you can do and it will also make you stronger in the process. Look up an early game build for how you're building your character to give you a solid framework for what stats to prioritize and some good options for gear.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Explore Limgrave and the weeping peninsula. And don't feel bad about using online help sites like this:
https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Elden+Ring+Wiki

I'd also suggest checking in on the Elden Ring subreddit or youtube videos. There's a ton of story there that's been sussed out that's incredibly hard to figure out. The shear depth of story in this game that isn't just handed over to you via cutscenes boggles the mind. It's a never ending can of worms.

Get yourself into the community, Hidetaka Miyazaki has a really vague way of telling a story that is picked up from the numerous item texts and other obtuse ways of revealing said story. The community pieces it all together through scouring the game for every little scrap of story and playing dozens of times.

For youtube, I'd suggest VaatiVidya.
He's more of a Dark Souls historian but he fills in the blanks for some major plot points in Elden Ring. His voice is pleasing to the ear.