Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Tom Thibodeau Is 'Heavy Favorite' To Become Head Coach Of Knicks

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Dan33185

Tom Thibodeau Is 'Heavy Favorite' To Become Head Coach Of Knicks

Post by Dan33185 »

Tom Thibodeau is reportedly the "heavy favorite" to become the next head coach of the New York Knicks, sources told Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.

Thibodeau is so confident of receiving the job that he is making calls to assemble a coaching staff.

Thibodeau and Knicks president Leon Rose previously worked together while Rose was still an agent at CAA.

Mike Miller and Kenny Atkinsons also remain candidates for the role.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... -Of-Knicks
Corre Ricky Corre

Re: Tom Thibodeau Is 'Heavy Favorite' To Become Head Coach Of Knicks

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

I really hope they hire Thibs and draft LaMelo Ball.. That will be an absolute disaster.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:25 pm I really hope they hire Thibs and draft LaMelo Ball.. That will be an absolute disaster.
His brother is a hell of a defender. He was a good steals guy and if he buys in he has the length to be good.

Thibs will have that team in the playoffs in 2 years. Book that shit. Then they will decide they can buy their way to a title and Thibs is in the way. Then 10 years as the dregs. Double book that shit.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

JODA!!!!!
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

LordNu wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:31 pmJODA!!!!!
Over the most recent years we all have laughed at the New York Knick’s for their terrible decisions and fairly unrealistic view of themselves.

The laughs keep coming.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know Thibbs is already hard planning how to trade all of his Teams assets and furiously jerking off to the idea of bringing Jimmy Butler to New York.

I wish him all the best.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

This would be a good hire by NY.

He is a much better coach than what we have now.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Atkinson is such a much better fit coming from the Spurs player declopment coach and then what he did as the Nets head coach. Blows Thibs out of the water.

You've got young guys in New York who are trying to figure out how to play. Hire the guy who worked and helped them flourish for years under Pop as his dynasty and then as the leader of his own team or a coach who notoriously hates inexperienced players. Tough call.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm calling the final nail in the coffin of kevin knox's career.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Totally gross potential hire!!!!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

qrocks wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:27 pm Totally gross potential hire!!!!
Totally gross is Ryan Saunders.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:35 am
qrocks wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:27 pm Totally gross potential hire!!!!
Totally gross is Ryan Saunders.
You know he's dreamy. Admit it!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

People thought it was a zoo when he was in MN? wait for NY.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:25 am People thought it was a zoo when he was in MN? wait for NY.
Damn him!! How can we stand a guy who actually made us relevant again!

You can bitch about trading away young assets etc.. My only beef was not selecting some different players in the drafts but even without Butler, who knows who he would have selected.

If you just go by Lavine, Lauri and Dunn, who cares? Those guys are not taking you anywhere and Wiggins proved to be a turd too.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:05 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:25 am People thought it was a zoo when he was in MN? wait for NY.

You can bitch about trading away young assets etc.. My only beef was not selecting some different players in the drafts but even without Butler, who knows who he would have selected.

If you just go by Lavine, Lauri and Dunn, who cares? Those guys are not taking you anywhere and Wiggins proved to be a turd too.
Its all speculation, but I feel Donovan Mitchell would have been Thibs pick in the Markannen draft. There was a lot of talk around the time of how much he liked him, and he just seems to be a Thibs type guy, and I believe his hope was that Mitchell would have been there at 16 when he got that pick back from the Bulls.

I also don't really understand the whole "he got us to the playoffs!" argument the pro-Thibs crowd has...sure, he got us there, but it blew up quickly. He fastforwarded that was at least 2 years out, into one year. Wolves could bring Thibs in again, and I'm sure he could trade KAT and DLO away for good vets and turn the team into a playoff team for one year again, doesn't mean it would be the right move.

I get that a championship team is a pretty unrealistic expectation for this franchise, but a perennial playoff team should not be. Thibs loaded up for one year, got to the playoffs, then it blew up. That's not something to hang your hat on.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Its all speculation, but I feel Donovan Mitchell would have been Thibs pick in the Markannen draft. There was a lot of talk around the time of how much he liked him, and he just seems to be a Thibs type guy.

I also don't really understand the whole "he got us to the playoffs!" argument the pro-Thibs crowd has...sure, he got us there, but it blew up quickly. He fastforwarded that was at least 2 years out, into one year. Wolves could bring Thibs in again, and I'm sure he could trade KAT and DLO away for good vets and turn the team into a playoff team for one year again, doesn't mean it would be the right move.

I get that a championship team is a pretty unrealistic expectation for this franchise, but a perennial playoff team should not be. Thibs loaded up for one year, got to the playoffs, then it blew up. That's not something to hang your hat on.
Look here, LISTEN!! I'm not a "Got to the playoffs" type of guy as you know. Teh Tube isn't into participation trophies but you are talking about single handedly the worst franchise in pro sports.
Almost 20 years with ONE playoff appearance. It's a bit different with this team. They are right back in the lotto with Thibs gone.

I get a kick out of it here, there are a lot of "That's not a group to win a championship"

NEWSFLASH: This team may NEVER win a championship. How about just being a good team for consecutive years? God forbid we are competitive but only a #5 seed. :roll:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:38 pm

Its all speculation, but I feel Donovan Mitchell would have been Thibs pick in the Markannen draft. There was a lot of talk around the time of how much he liked him, and he just seems to be a Thibs type guy.

Look here, LISTEN!! I'm not a "Got to the playoffs" type of guy as you know. Teh Tube isn't into participation trophies but you are talking about single handedly the worst franchise in pro sports.
Almost 20 years with ONE playoff appearance. It's a bit different with this team. They are right back in the lotto with Thibs gone.

I get a kick out of it here, there are a lot of "That's not a group to win a championship"

NEWSFLASH: This team may NEVER win a championship. How about just being a good team for consecutive years? God forbid we are competitive but only a #5 seed. :roll:
Sounds like we are on almost identical pages. I'm just never going to sing praises for Thibs getting us to the playoffs for one damn year, and then having it blow up in his face.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

It blew up because Buckets left. That really isn't on Thibs imo. He didn't see that happening ans the rest of the squad was natural born losers and still is.

Not Thibs fault that the young bucks he inherited have pea size balls.

They have still been losers without him. I'm not a Thibs guy but it's hilarious the ripping this fan base does of him. He's one of the best coaches that has ever coached here. Not saying much but still. Ryan Saunders is absolutely atrocious and has no business coaching a pro basketball team but people want to rip the Knicks and Thibs while this team is a bottom 3 feeder with the worst HC in the NBA other than possibly the guy in Chicago who I still think is a better all around coach but Saunders at least knows enough to baby his millennial softies.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:40 pm

It blew up because Buckets left. That really isn't on Thibs imo. He didn't see that happening ans the rest of the squad was natural born losers and still is.

They have still been losers without him. I'm not a Thibs guy but it's hilarious the ripping this fan base does of him. He's one of the best coaches that has ever coached here. Not saying much but still. Ryan Saunders is absolutely atrocious and has no business coaching a pro basketball team but people want to rip the Knicks and Thibs while this team is a bottom 3 feeder with the worst HC in the NBA other than possibly the guy in Chicago who I still think is a better all around coach but Saunders at least knows enough to baby his millennial softies.
I think the vast majority of Wolves fans know how irrelevant this team is. The reason this fan base likes to, and can rip on the Knicks is that they have tremendous advantages that they can't utilize..playing in the East, and playing in a giant global market that is basketball crazed. How the hell can you not succeed there?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:56 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:40 pm

I think the vast majority of Wolves fans know how irrelevant this team is. The reason this fan base likes to, and can rip on the Knicks is that they have tremendous advantages that they can't utilize..playing in the East, and playing in a giant global market that is basketball crazed. How the hell can you not succeed there?
Yes, I understand. I am a big Knicks guy. Probably my 2nd fave team. Close with Lakers.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thibs knows basketball and he’s proven he can coach hard-nosed gritty players like Rose, Butler, Noah, and Gibson; players like him.

Can he coach players that he has to work to “reach?” Thats the question. He was not able to do that here.

You’re going to be hard-pressed to find a team filled with hard-nosed players like those late 00s Bulls again that he can really find success with.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Best Ever!!

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:59 am Thibs knows basketball and he’s proven he can coach hard-nosed gritty players like Rose, Butler, Noah, and Gibson; players like him.

Can he coach players that he has to work to “reach?” Thats the question. He was not able to do that here.

You’re going to be hard-pressed to find a team filled with hard-nosed players like those late 00s Bulls again that he can really find success with.
Do players like listed above really exist anymore other than some vets?

These young bucks are puss. Players, especially stars, need to be coddled now days.

The game may have passed Thibs up. He would have been a animal in the 80's and 90's.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:55 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:59 am Thibs knows basketball and he’s proven he can coach hard-nosed gritty players like Rose, Butler, Noah, and Gibson; players like him.

Do players like listed above really exist anymore other than some vets?

These young bucks are puss. Players, especially stars, need to be coddled now days.

The game may have passed Thibs up. He would have been a animal in the 80's and 90's.
League is full of guys like that. Most are undervalued and sitting on a bench. There are plenty in this draft. Most are listed in the 2nd round of mocks. Know why? Because shitty coaches and GM's don't understand what makes a team. Always say you can be a top offense with 2 great scorers and a 3rd shooter. You can't be even a good D with one shitty defender. So they don't even bother trying to have a good D because they would have to ask a star to play hard. Then why even bother to play a good defender who isn't great on offense.

Switch everything! The lazy coaches solution for lazy players. That's what it is. It is not some genius philosophy of the modern NBA like the lovers think it is. Shoot 3's? Lazy. Switch everything? Lazy. That's what it is. Thibs will do neither and he will have that team in the playoffs for the 1st time in a decade. And it won't be with big name FA's or trades. It will be with a team that plays like a team should.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:01 pm

That's true, although I think Thibs' style may be outdated. We shall see.

But, getting rid of Thibs as POBO is worth the downgrade at head coach. He was every bit as much of disaster as GM as Kahn. He took what was probably the most exciting and promising young teams and turned into total dog shit all for the chance at the playoffs one year when we had absolutely no chance to win a title.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:38 pm

But, getting rid of Thibs as POBO is worth the downgrade at head coach. He was every bit as much of disaster as GM as Kahn. He took what was probably the most exciting and promising young teams and turned into total dog shit all for the chance at the playoffs one year when we had absolutely no chance to win a title.
There is a argument to be made if we picked guys like Murray and Mitchell but who knows who we would have selected.

When it comes to what we already had, we dodged a bullet not giving Lavine a big contract like Chicago did and getting Wiggins out of here.

This "Young core" wasn't near as good as we all thought it was going to be.

A core of Wiggins, Kat and Lavine all being paid top dollar, never sniffs a playoff appearance.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:59 pm

There is a argument to be made if we picked guys like Murray and Mitchell but who knows who we would have selected.

When it comes to what we already had, we dodged a bullet not giving Lavine a big contract like Chicago did and getting Wiggins out of here.

A core of Wiggins, Kat and Lavine all being paid top dollar, never sniffs a playoff appearance.
Kat
Wig
Lavine
Markaanen or Mitchell or that pick
Murray or Hield or that pick
Rubio

Any competent GM would've got more than one playoff appearance before having to blow it up with those assets. Thibs squandered them. Nobody said we had to keep all of them. Whether those guys panned out or not, they had major value as young assets.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:04 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:59 pm

Kat
Wig
Lavine
Markaanen or Mitchell or that pick
Murray or Hield or that pick
Rubio

Any competent GM would've got more than one playoff appearance before having to blow it up with those assets. Thibs squandered them. Nobody said we had to keep all of them. Whether those guys panned out or not, they had major value as young assets.
We don't know who they would have selected though. Sure, if they picked all the right guys.

Lauri is garbage though. You also wouldn't have had the money to keep all of those players once contracts hit.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

He admitted having the POBO position and coaching spot were an issue looking back. I hated the Dunn pick but gave him time... after the Butler trade I was on cloud 9... but then the Rubio move happened and the cap space freed up went to Teague and Gibson... Thibs was desperate to win immediately. Dealing Wiggins instead of LaVine and then keeping Rubio might have changed the outcome on his tenure.. then again I don't think KAT and Butler are a mix so perhaps he ends up dealing KAT to someone, who knows. Rubio/LaVine/Roco/???/KAT wouldn't have looked too bad either.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:50 am

He admitted having the POBO position and coaching spot were an issue looking back. I hated the Dunn pick but gave him time... after the Butler trade I was on cloud 9... but then the Rubio move happened and the cap space freed up went to Teague and Gibson... Thibs was desperate to win immediately. Dealing Wiggins instead of LaVine and then keeping Rubio might have changed the outcome on his tenure.. then again I don't think KAT and Butler are a mix so perhaps he ends up dealing KAT to someone, who knows. Rubio/LaVine/Roco/???/KAT wouldn't have looked too bad either.
" Rubio/LaVine/Roco/???/KAT" Ya, if you like #11 seeds. Unless ??? Is a superstar, ish!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:40 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:50 am

" Rubio/LaVine/Roco/???/KAT" Ya, if you like #11 seeds. Unless ??? Is a superstar, ish!
Yeah I don't know how the lineup would have worked out but i'm assuming that's a good player in there. 11th seed is 8 games below 500... the Wolves finished 10 games below 500 last year so I don't think it's unrealistic to think that lineup could have done better.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.