Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Rearranging Conferences Based on Geography(Reddit)

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
j2j

Rearranging Conferences Based on Geography(Reddit)

Post by j2j »

Saw this post on reddit and thought it was pretty intriguing. No more super spread out conferences. Everything based on geography and reduced travel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... _based_on/

There's a map and a spreadsheet in the link.

Plus maybe the Goofs could finish in the top 4 in non-niche sports once in awhile.

Summit
Minnesota
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Creighton
Nebraska
UN Omaha
Iowa State
Drake
Northern Iowa
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Rearranging Conferences Based on Geography(Reddit)

Post by RubeTube »

j2j wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:52 pm Saw this post on reddit and thought it was pretty intriguing. No more super spread out conferences. Everything based on geography and reduced travel.

Plus maybe the Goofs could finish in the top 4 in non-niche sports once in awhile.

Summit
Minnesota
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Creighton
Nebraska
UN Omaha
Iowa State
Drake
Northern Iowa
P U.

That's not a thirst for high impact.

Nothing "Premier" here, GENTLEMEN.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

While I don't necessarily care for that conference list, I've wished they'd base conferences on geography for quite some time. I know it's driven by money, but I always thought Iowa State was a more natural fit than Rutgers or Maryland. Maryland BELONGS in the ACC. Would've preferred to see ISU and Missouri, or even Kansas, instead.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
j2j

Post by j2j »

Our specific conference isn't the greatest, but it's about what's best for college sports overall, not just the Goofs.

Agreed on Rutgers and Maryland. And if they're supposed to be "student-athletes", cutting down on travel should be a priority. This helps with that.

I'd really like to see the Gophers have rivalries with ND, NDSU, SDSU, SD, St Thomas(soon)...

Fast forward a few years... The River Route Rivalry, Twin Cities Turmoil, Massive Public School vs Daddy's Money Private School, Paycheck vs Trust Fund, Tommy/Gophs, Mississippi Mayhem, Meeker Island Lock and Dam Game(The Dam Game).

2030: Coach Fleck was fired after 14 years of coaching the Gophers. When asked, AD Mark Coyle said, "We appreciate Fleck's tenure at Minnesota, 11 straight years of double digit victories and the major bowl visits, but most of all we care about winning The Dam Game."

Make it happen!

cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

j2j wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:18 am Our specific conference isn't the greatest, but it's about what's best for college sports overall, not just the Goofs.

Agreed on Rutgers and Maryland. And if they're supposed to be "student-athletes", cutting down on travel should be a priority. This helps with that.

I'd really like to see the Gophers have rivalries with ND, NDSU, SDSU, SD, St Thomas(soon)...

Fast forward a few years... The River Route Rivalry, Twin Cities Turmoil, Massive Public School vs Daddy's Money Private School, Paycheck vs Trust Fund, Tommy/Gophs, Mississippi Mayhem, Meeker Island Lock and Dam Game(The Dam Game).

2030: Coach Fleck was fired after 14 years of coaching the Gophers. When asked, AD Mark Coyle said, "We appreciate Fleck's tenure at Minnesota, 11 straight years of double digit victories and the major bowl visits, but most of all we care about winning The Dam Game."

Make it happen!
I always get a kick out of the NCAA's claim of doing what's best for the academics, like is one of the reasons they won't go to a full fledged tournament for D1 football. It's for the kids! Yet, funny, March Madness isn't an issue. And funny, every other level of college football doesn't have an issue. But, yes, this would cut down on travel, and make for better natural rivalries. Look at how pathetic college hockey got, when the Big10 was formed. Took away a bunch of natural rivalries.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
j2j

Post by j2j »

cmd24 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:43 am
j2j wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:18 am Our specific conference isn't the greatest, but it's about what's best for college sports overall, not just the Goofs.

Make it happen!
I always get a kick out of the NCAA's claim of doing what's best for the academics, like is one of the reasons they won't go to a full fledged tournament for D1 football. It's for the kids! Yet, funny, March Madness isn't an issue. And funny, every other level of college football doesn't have an issue. But, yes, this would cut down on travel, and make for better natural rivalries. Look at how pathetic college hockey got, when the Big10 was formed. Took away a bunch of natural rivalries.
Big 10 in hockey is a trainwreck. Ruined the sport.

ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

j2j wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:52 pm Saw this post on reddit and thought it was pretty intriguing. No more super spread out conferences. Everything based on geography and reduced travel.

Summit
Minnesota
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Creighton
Nebraska
UN Omaha
Iowa State
Drake
Northern Iowa
Iowa City must just be outside the region compared to the Dakota schools??

I think for basketball this would work and would be competitive throughout the conference. Football and hockey meh. Not sure about the other sports either.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

They need to go back to D2. It became a mess as college basketball teams wanted a shot to get into the 64.
Then they said, you have to be a D1 school to do that. So we got a 2nd level D1 Football conference out of it.

Somewhere out there in the the stats world has to be a breakdown on the mess that college hockey is and the over all numbers.
I would love to see the total numbers for each school before and after the big mess was launched.

How can the U of M say they are better off $$ wise in the big 10 for hockey.