Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Miracle on Ice 40th anniversary!!

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Hornets

Re: Miracle on Ice 40th anniversary!!

Post by Hornets »

Hornets wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:06 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:00 pm anybody remember the last player cut from the 1980 team?
Harrer?
LOL...just looked it up and saw it was Ralph Cox!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:00 pm anybody remember the last player cut from the 1980 team?
Harrer?
no--but herbie brought him and aaron broten in late in the process and the team revolted. nobody who hadn't went thru the gauntlet was going to be put on the team a few weeks before the olympics. they played a 61 game schedule to get ready for lake placid. one of the games was against the warroad lakers.

anyways, back to the question. the guy played his college hockey for new hampshire. he told herb the team was going to win the gold medal when he got cut--and coach said that was the person he thought about when they won it.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:09 pm
Harrer?
LOL...just looked it up and saw it was Ralph Cox!
couldn't wait and had to cheat i see. sellingguy might have known the answer.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I knew the answer thanks to the movie at least, but I probably did not before that.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"you must have goals in your life, or otherwise be prepared to be used by those people who do have them. where there are no goals, neither will their ever be significant accomplishments, only existence. do you just want to exist?"- herb brooks
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=75jKKCmlRg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=VCTNZe_M_DQ

Posing from my phone and can't figure out how to embed. One is an interview with Brooks and the other is some behind the scenes material from the making of Miracle. I think they're both extras from the DVD.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

supposedly this was herb's favorite movie. anybody know?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:17 pm supposedly this was herb's favorite movie. anybody know?
How could it be?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:53 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:17 pm supposedly this was herb's favorite movie. anybody know?
How could it be?
no. here's a couple clues. it's a kids movie from the 1970s and it was remade not too long ago.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Ok I thought you were referring to Miracle. :lol:

Bad News Bears?

Not really a 'kids' movie though.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:04 pm Ok I thought you were referring to Miracle. :lol:

Bad News Bears?

Not really a 'kids' movie though.
no. another clue. the movie was adapted from a book. a book that i think a lot of kids were read to by their teacher back in the day. teachers did that--and my teacher read this book to our third grade class.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Call of the Wild?

Willy Wonka?

Where The Red Fern Grows?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:16 pm Call of the Wild?

Willy Wonka?

i thought that that was pretty interesting. the book had a quote from willie about dreams. dreams were big with herbie.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:30 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:16 pm Call of the Wild?

Willy Wonka?

i thought that that was pretty interesting. the book had a quote from willie about dreams. dreams were big with herbie.
Funny thing is as a kid I actually thought Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator was the better book.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"make your purpose practical, but be careful not to make it logical. make a purpose of the sentimental or emotional type. remember needs are logical, while wants and desires are sentimental and emotional. your needs will push you just so far...but when your needs are satisfied, they will stop pushing you. if, however, your purpose is in terms of wants or desires, then you will keep pushing long after your needs are satisfied. you'll push until your desires are fulfilled."- herb brooks
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:37 pm "make your purpose practical, but be careful not to make it logical. make a purpose of the sentimental or emotional type. remember needs are logical, while wants and desires are sentimental and emotional. your needs will push you just so far...but when your needs are satisfied, they will stop pushing you. if, however, your purpose is in terms of wants or desires, then you will keep pushing long after your needs are satisfied. you'll push until your desires are fulfilled."- herb brooks
Good use of quotes there Weimy....try this in your other posts where you are quoting folks so we all know where the comments come from.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

finished the book--and when you do you can't help but have the wound of herbie's death re-opened. it really is sad that he's no longer with us.

the book ends with danny saying what it was like to grow up as herb's son. what a blessing that was for him! he was on the inside living all those great times of the gopher championships, the olympic gold medal and his years with the rangers. up close and in the locker rooms for all those great times. he ends by saying that he thinks of his dad every day.

herb was a character with immense character. he lived a principled life--and that guided everything he did. he grew up in the glory days of east side/johnson hockey. did you know that the only HS to win a state hockey championship south of duluth before 1965 was johnson? now you do. they won it four times. herbie was a part of one of those teams.

herb brooks epitomizes what made growing up in this state great. someone that loved outdoor, unstructured hockey and was a "rink rat".

if you called him the greatest minnesotan to ever live i don't think you'd be wrong. he simply was the best that this state had to offer the world.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Herbie was a legend...bigger than life. I do wish that he would have had a better professional coaching career....for whatever reason his style just didn't mesh with the pros. If Herb had not coached the 1980 team and instead had stayed in Dinkytown one has to wonder how many more NCAA titles he would have won. There was some incredible talent on the squad in the years following his leaving, but Buetow and then Wooger couldn't get them over the hump...
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:35 pm Herbie was a legend...bigger than life. I do wish that he would have had a better professional coaching career....for whatever reason his style just didn't mesh with the pros. If Herb had not coached the 1980 team and instead had stayed in Dinkytown one has to wonder how many more NCAA titles he would have won. There was some incredible talent on the squad in the years following his leaving, but Buetow and then Wooger couldn't get them over the hump...
you better get the book. one of the problems in the pros was that he couldn't also "pick" the players--he could just coach them. also his principled life guided some of his decisions on these gigs. he turned down a multi-million dollar offer to coach the rangers again. he left all of the jobs on his terms. he didn't compromise when it came to his coaching. also, those ranger teams were pretty damn good. just ran into the islanders dynasty.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

at the end of his life he was doing motivational talks to organizations and businesses for 15 and 20 grand a pop.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:46 pm at the end of his life he was doing motivational talks to organizations and businesses for 15 and 20 grand a pop.
Does he ever mention Craig Dahl in the book? I was a good friend of Dahl back in the early 80's and when Herbie left to coach the Olympic team Dahl house sitted for him. The two developed a strong relationship and Herbie was instrumental in getting Dahl his head coaching job at St. Cloud State as it was changing from Division 2 to Division 1...
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:57 pm
weimy froob wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:46 pm at the end of his life he was doing motivational talks to organizations and businesses for 15 and 20 grand a pop.
Does he ever mention Craig Dahl in the book? I was a good friend of Dahl back in the early 80's and when Herbie left to coach the Olympic team Dahl house sitted for him. The two developed a strong relationship and Herbie was instrumental in getting Dahl his head coaching job at St. Cloud State as it was changing from Division 2 to Division 1...
oh yeah. that story is in the book. herb wielded the political clout to get the money from the legislature for that arena in st cloud.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:15 pm
oh yeah. that story is in the book. herb wielded the political clout to get the money from the legislature for that arena in st cloud.
Not bragging but through Craig I was able to meet Herbie in person during that time. Also met Mike Ramsey during the summer of 1980, just a handful of months after the Miracle! Oh, and I used to lift weights in Larry Hendrickson's garage during the early 80's and one of the regular attenders there was none other than Steve Christoff! Darby & Danny Hendrickson were young boys back then!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:24 pm

Not bragging but through Craig I was able to meet Herbie in person during that time. Also met Mike Ramsey during the summer of 1980, just a handful of months after the Miracle! Oh, and I used to lift weights in Larry Hendrickson's garage during the early 80's and one of the regular attenders there was none other than Steve Christoff! Darby & Danny Hendrickson were young boys back then!
that's pretty cool. i talked to herbie on the phone when he was on kfan. polite as could be. anyways, what i remember most about that was what he said on the show. he said if you prepare there's no pressure. maybe some butterflies right at the start--but it's fun after that.

i met darby hendrickson at a golf course in 2001. actually the pro shop.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:40 pm
Hornets wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:24 pm

that's pretty cool. i talked to herbie on the phone when he was on kfan. polite as could be. anyways, what i remember most about that was what he said on the show. he said if you prepare there's no pressure. maybe some butterflies right at the start--but it's fun after that.

i met darby hendrickson at a golf course in 2001. actually the pro shop.
Wonder if he'll ever get a head coaching shot for the Wild? Maybe he'd be a good replacement for Motz in a few years...
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:57 pm finished the book--and when you do you can't help but have the wound of herbie's death re-opened. it really is sad that he's no longer with us.

the book ends with danny saying what it was like to grow up as herb's son. what a blessing that was for him! he was on the inside living all those great times of the gopher championships, the olympic gold medal and his years with the rangers. up close and in the locker rooms for all those great times. he ends by saying that he thinks of his dad every day.

herb was a character with immense character. he lived a principled life--and that guided everything he did. he grew up in the glory days of east side/johnson hockey. did you know that the only HS to win a state hockey championship south of duluth before 1965 was johnson? now you do. they won it four times. herbie was a part of one of those teams.

herb brooks epitomizes what made growing up in this state great. someone that loved outdoor, unstructured hockey and was a "rink rat".

if you called him the greatest minnesotan to ever live i don't think you'd be wrong. he simply was the best that this state had to offer the world.
Well stated weimy. :beer:
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Herb had a incredible memory of people he met.
Back when a young SG played hockey, I was on the first traveling team in Grand Forks.
We were a rag tag group of 5th to 7th graders. We played at the old Ralph. One of our players was the siouxs coaches kid. We were the rebals of GF hockey. The city program hated us. They would just send a All Star team to peewee, bantam tourney and win. The HS's back then won all the state championships.

So we had a game on Saturday Morning. Gophers are in town to kick the shit out of the sioux. Back then the Sioux sucked. Our game is after the gophers morning skate. That rink only had 4 locker rooms. So we basically put our skates on in the hallway of the locker rooms behind the bench. Herb walks by, talking to the sioux coach who tells him who we are etc. Herb gives us a little pep talk, including knowing the team we are playing is going to kick our ass, Roseau, but do your best and play hard.
Many years later sometime around 1985ish. I am at Serlins having breakfast. It was one of Herbs spots in E. St Paul. Well this day Herb and his buddies were in. The stories flowing for all to hear too. I introduced myself and reminding him of his pep talk. He not only remembered but threw in, you guys got your ass kicked by roseau, right?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Actor Kenneth Mitchell, aged 49, from ALS. He portrayed Ralph Cox in Miracle.

As I was looking into it I discovered that Michael Mantenuto who played Jack O'Callahan committed suicide in 2017, and the story behind it could be a movie in itself. He joined the Army after his acting career stalled including going into Special Forces.

He fought substance abuse for years and became a 'self-help guru' sanctioned by the Army, but this was considered highly questionable by many as he was seen as too unstable for the role.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Perfect time for Al Michaels to retire.

That's for you Bunker. :lol:
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
PurpleValhalla

Post by PurpleValhalla »

I think the movie captured these moments quite well. Really takes you into the moment as if you're there