Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

PA on the mic in march

A place to discuss the MN Wild
weimy froob

PA on the mic in march

Post by weimy froob »

i'll tune in to see how that all plays out. i remember al shaver-top 5 all-time hockey announcer-so the bar is set high for vox. :lol:

bubu dubu.

Re: PA on the mic in march

Post by bubu dubu. »

I don't think the hockey fans in this state will ever embrace him, or even give him a fair chance. It all feels like a publicity stunt to me, but PA does work hard on his craft. He'll do his best to not make a complete ass of himself.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 pm I don't think the hockey fans in this state will ever embrace him, or even give him a fair chance. It all feels like a publicity stunt to me, but PA does work hard on his craft. He'll do his best to not make a complete ass of himself.
i'll give him a fair chance. remind me when he has his first game just in case i'm not on top of it.
NonprovincialMNFan

Post by NonprovincialMNFan »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 pm I don't think the hockey fans in this state will ever embrace him, or even give him a fair chance. It all feels like a publicity stunt to me, but PA does work hard on his craft. He'll do his best to not make a complete ass of himself.
So, you are one of those who thinks that not liking PA'S PBP isn't about poor description, inaccuracy, dominating his color guy by trying to do that guys job, making uncomfortable references or over using cliches ...it must be because....what????....
Many people who are fans also don't overrate his skill based on homerism and 5 second catch phrases.
He has been given a fair chance (years of listening to him, over a decades worth) he just isn't that good.

PA works hard, you know that how?
If he was working that hard he'd be markedly better by now.

I will listen but won't start out thinking he's good because ...well...he's our guy.
If there was a God I would ask him/her to save us from this potential disaster.
Doc Holliday: There's no normal life, Wyatt, it's just life. Get on with it.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:04 pm
So, you are one of those who thinks that not liking PA'S PBP isn't about poor description, inaccuracy, dominating his color guy by trying to do that guys job, making uncomfortable references or over using cliches ...it must be because....what????....
Many people who are fans also don't overrate his skill based on homerism and 5 second catch phrases.
He has been given a fair chance (years of listening to him, over a decades worth) he just isn't that good.

I will listen but won't start out thinking he's good because ...well...he's our guy.
Geesh
NonprovincialMNFan

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Geesh
Way to state your opinion as accepted fact and with a assumption that he hasn't been given a fair chance, have a case made that lays out a different conclusion and then coming back without anything but a grandma like "geesh".

Here's an idea, give some thought to not wearing rose colored glasses and not boot licking a mediocre local talent...just because he's "our guy".

The PA defenders are so sycophantic it boggles the mind.
It's like no one actually watches the game and listens to him with an objective ear/eye.

Hey I like most of your takes, bubu, but we strongly disagree on P.A.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:54 pm

Geesh
Way to state your opinion as accepted fact and with a assumption that he hasn't been given a fair chance, have a case made that lays out a different conclusion and then coming back without anything but a grandma like "geesh".

Here's an idea, give some thought to not wearing rose colored glasses and not boot licking a mediocre local talent...just because he's "our guy".

It's like no one actually watches the game and listens to him with an objective ear/eye.

State my opinion as fact?

My first few words are..."I don't think that" how does that lead you to think I'm stating my opinion as fact?

And what leads me to believe he works hard at his craft, is what you can see in the video posted by Weimy...3 months away, and he's practicing players names, for a team he won't be covering (I dont think)...and doing mock game broadcasts to prepare...it goes with the Vikings too. I remember listening to his show once, and they had a sub in because PA was on a week long vacation...his vacation was to Mankato to study names of new players. I can understand not liking the homerism...and that won't ever improve, thats his whole schtick as an announcer.
NonprovincialMNFan

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:01 pm

Geesh

My first few words are..."I don't think that" how does that lead you to think I'm stating my opinion as fact?

And what leads me to believe he works hard at his craft, is what you can see in the video posted by Weimy...3 months away, and he's practicing players names, for a team he won't be covering (I dont think)...and doing mock game broadcasts to prepare...it goes with the Vikings too. I remember listening to his show once, and they had a sub in because PA was on a week long vacation...his vacation was to Mankato to study names of new players. I can understand not liking the homerism...and that won't ever improve, thats his whole schtick as an announcer.
Your question of what indicates opinion isn't the sentence you cited. It is the "I don't think he will given a fair chance", it assumes that after listen for years one couldn't come to any other conclusion therefore he is not being viewed by those who continue to point out his lack of skill as a valid observation.
As far as working on names, your typical PBP who isn't covering a national professional team might have a couple of hours before a game to memorize player names and it might be one of 10 different teams they have to cover over a week or two or less during tournament times. And PBP people are taught association tricks to practice so that you can do it fast if need be.
PA takes days off just to practice something that should already be second hand and a skill ready to use after years of practice. And if you listen he still isn't that good at it, he is frequently using general calls or searching for a accurate call and you can hear how delayed he is from the whistle or other action on the field.

The entire point of radio PBP is to be able to describe the action by using your oratory skill to create a visual tapestry that the listener can picture in their mind.
If you close your eyes while listening you can picture what s going on, that is a good test to gauge how skilled the PBP person is. And PA sucks at it.
He should be skilled enough to use his time to work on his actual PBP to more accurate, timely and descriptive, instead you give him credit for working on what is an elementary skill he should have slam dunked years ago.

Not only is his homerism over the top but he has people like you who keep making excuses for him.
Welcome to team P.A.
😲💩😲
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:41 am

Your question of what indicates opinion isn't the sentence you cited. It is the "I don't think he will given a fair chance",
What? that's exactly the sentence I cited.

"I don't think he will be given a fair chance" is a clear indicator that it is an opinion, not a fact. If I was stating it as a fact I would have said "He will not be given a fair chance"
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it'll probably be the kfan game that gets the most listeners this year-so there is that.

following
NonprovincialMNFan

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:54 am
NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:41 am

Your question of what indicates opinion isn't the sentence you cited. It is the "I don't think he will given a fair chance",
What? that's exactly the sentence I cited.

"I don't think he will be given a fair chance" is a clear indicator that it is an opinion, not a fact. If I was stating it as a fact I would have said "He will not be given a fair chance"
Ok. I will compromise on your statement of opinion with a conclusion and say that it is opinion.

So , how about any comment on his skill set, or lack there of? Anything on being given credit for "working hard" on a skill that should already be a given while neglecting the most important aspects of accuracy, descriptive tapestry, timeliness, stomping on his color ananylist or relying on cliches or over the top homerism?
Leon

Post by Leon »

i refuse to listen - PA i all about the gimmicks and the bits - seriously - no one talks like he does

having typed that about said announcer i should allow him cultivate the seeds of hockey broadcasting to see if his skills come to fruition.

can i get a witness ????
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

I could give 2 shits so there is that. Carry on
NonprovincialMNFan

Jimtown guy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 am I could give 2 shits so there is that. Carry on
Well, just so long as the "king" of the hockey board has added his 2cents then we must be close to shutting down this conversation.

Add this to your list of things you don't give 2 shits about.
Has no problem accepting a gift (Engelstad arena) from a known Nazi supporter (Ralph Engelstad). -check.

Has no problem with who does the PBP.-check.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 pm
Jimtown guy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 am I could give 2 shits so there is that. Carry on
Well, just so long as the "king" of the hockey board has added his 2cents then we must be close to shutting down this conversation.

Has no problem accepting a gift (Engelstad arena) from a known Nazi supporter (Ralph Engelstad). -check.

How is it up on that high horse bud? You gotta be a treat to hang out with. Carry on son
NonprovincialMNFan

Jimtown guy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:25 pm
NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 pm

How is it up on that high horse bud? You gotta be a treat to hang out with. Carry on son
No high horse needed, all you need is to be one step above the filthy gutter to be considered "higher up" than someone who takes gifts from a Nazi supporter.

The only people who would have a problem with hanging out with me would be those with no moral compass and an aversion to being held accountable for immoral positions.

Carry on, just don't do so by throwing a Nazi/Hitler birthday bash.
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent, emotionally overdrawn, and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter:
NonprovincialMNFan

Old_Kid wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:01 pm
NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:41 pm The only people who would have a problem with hanging out with me would be those with no moral compass and an aversion to being held accountable for immoral positions.
You just lost your Valentine's card you sanctimonious prick. :finger:
That's fine. I didn't want your stupid card anyway!

I hate Nazi's and those who don't or support them or look the other way.
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent, emotionally overdrawn, and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter:
NonprovincialMNFan

Old_Kid wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:14 am
NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:04 am
Old_Kid wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:01 pm
You just lost your Valentine's card you sanctimonious prick. :finger:
That's fine. I didn't want your stupid card anyway!

I hate Nazi's and those who don't or support them or look the other way.
Godwin's Law. :finger:
Total misuse or understanding of Godwin's law, which isn't really a law just a social projection of one's opinion.

Since the Ralph Engelstad and his arena point were introduced at the near beginning and is a direct reference to his proven loyalty to Hitler, you can look it up any time and find lots of information, it doesn't meet the requirement of Godwin's law that says the LONGER a conversation goes the more likely it turns to "hitler".
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this isn't his debut is it? re-reading it it could be that he's just doing his show at the excel in the morning. OP said debut in march.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

getting closer to the big game.

JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

He's the worst PxP guy in the NFL.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Leon

Post by Leon »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:07 pm getting closer to the big game.

well i see he has 5 centers listed ...i just might have to tune in and see how awful he can be - there is zero chance he can pull this off - he knows zero about the game
Leon

Post by Leon »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:07 pm getting closer to the big game.

well i see he has 5 centers listed ...i just might have to tune in and see how awful he can be - there is zero chance he can pull this off - he knows zero about the game
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

JPM wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:21 pm He's the worst PxP guy in the NFL.
He's also the worst radio host in sports radio. His show is fucking TRASH
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

This will be the only Wild game I tune into this year. Can't wait to hear PA "Rock" teh mic!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ILLogic

Post by ILLogic »

People love to hate on PA but he really is a treasure and the fact that he tries so hard to get more into hockey should be praised by the hockey community. He brings great awareness and coverage to the team and helps bring in casual fans.
ive spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder