Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Will Ryan Saunders Be Head Coach Next Season?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Will Ryan Saunders be coach next year?

Yes, Wolves are in it for the long haul
43%
No, He’s way in over his head
57%

Total votes: 37

UnFadeable21

Re: Will Ryan Saunders Be Head Coach Next Season?

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:06 pm Modern offense= Whole team stand around 3 point line and jack a 3.

I can't even tell the wings from the bigs anymore.

#Generic
Agreed, it’s terrible. I actually preferred Ryan’s offense last season more when we actually force fed Towns in the post.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:16 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:06 pm Modern offense= Whole team stand around 3 point line and jack a 3.

I can't even tell the wings from the bigs anymore.

#Generic
Agreed, it’s terrible. I actually preferred Ryan’s offense last season more when we actually force fed Towns in the post.
Because it was actually his offense and not his computer geek boss's NBA2K plan.

Oh, and Sergeant Rubetube can't tell the bigs from the wings? Maybe because 90% of our "bigs" are actually wings?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

yep, i just about coughed up a gall stone last night when i saw our starters were dieng-okogie-graham-wiggins-teague. so..........josh okogie was the 4? or graham? the four. really.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:30 pm yep, i just about coughed up a gall stone last night when i saw our starters were dieng-okogie-graham-wiggins-teague. so..........josh okogie was the 4? or graham? the four. really.
Ryan doesn’t know what the hell he is doing.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Losing streak is about to hit 10 tonight, Ryan fan boys still out there?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

back to the thread title - i think he's here thru next year at least. it's a cheap contract but glen is cheaper. he'll ride it out.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:16 pm back to the thread title - i think he's here thru next year at least. it's a cheap contract but glen is cheaper. he'll ride it out.
Agreed.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

Popovic was 17-47 his first year with a way better team.
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:34 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:30 pm yep, i just about coughed up a gall stone last night when i saw our starters were dieng-okogie-graham-wiggins-teague. so..........josh okogie was the 4? or graham? the four. really.
Ryan doesn’t know what the hell he is doing.
How can he not? I’m not saying he’s the right coach for this team, but he’s been on the bench as an assistant coach for many years, he played college basketball, he grew up with Flip.

Basically everybody agree there is a plan to learn to play a certain style, regardless of the players. He’s probably doing the best he can within the confines of the system.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

10 straight losses for Ryan Saunders
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:28 pm 10 straight losses for Ryan Saunders
True, but tonight Ryan was better (not good, but not his usual awful.) No Graham, hit the hot hand, guys were motivated, guys hit free throws. Not playing bell was bad. Some poor rotation choices, but overall better than usual.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

winforlose wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:39 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:28 pm 10 straight losses for Ryan Saunders
True, but tonight Ryan was better (not good, but not his usual awful.) No Graham, hit the hot hand, guys were motivated, guys hit free throws. Not playing bell was bad. Some poor rotation choices, but overall better than usual.
Better than his usual clueless self but the Memphis loss, Pelicans loss, they are a part of this 10 game losing streak. Sam Mitchell or Tom Thibodeau never lost 10 games in a row for the Wolves.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:48 pm
Better than his usual clueless self but the Memphis loss, Pelicans loss, they are a part of this 10 game losing streak. Sam Mitchell or Tom Thibodeau never lost 10 games in a row for the Wolves.
Not arguing that. You know me well enough by now to know I want a real head coach, not a legacy kid with connections to the owner. That said, 3 games without KAT is tough. Whiteside’s 22 rebounds killed us tonight. This wasn’t a coaching loss, this was a failure of specific players to step up. Roco single handedly took all our momentum away in the 4th. Okogie was awful tonight. Ryan is a big problem, but it’s unlikely vanterpool or some other intern coach wins this specific game.
H8ter

Post by H8ter »

I can say that there were at least three lost that you can blame on Saunders. Two Sunday matinee and the Pelicans game. The team did look prepared for any of those games. I always said he is a sacrificial lamb and I still stand by it. He’ll be fired around the All Star break.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

winforlose wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:52 pm

Not arguing that. You know me well enough by now to know I want a real head coach, not a legacy kid with connections to the owner. That said, 3 games without KAT is tough. Whiteside’s 22 rebounds killed us tonight. This wasn’t a coaching loss, this was a failure of specific players to step up. Roco single handedly took all our momentum away in the 4th. Okogie was awful tonight. Ryan is a big problem, but it’s unlikely vanterpool or some other intern coach wins this specific game.
ryan also didn't put one of our best rebounders - bell - into the game at all. again, bell's probably not going to win that game - but whiteside vacuums up every rebound and ryan does nothing to stop the bleeding, even when he's got a decent bandaid on the bench.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:41 pm
winforlose wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:52 pm

ryan also didn't put one of our best rebounders - bell - into the game at all. again, bell's probably not going to win that game - but whiteside vacuums up every rebound and ryan does nothing to stop the bleeding, even when he's got a decent bandaid on the bench.
Bell for Roco would have been a good call when Roco was melting down. I am just not sure that would have made enough difference. I look at this game as a tough loss but a fair loss without your best player. Officiating was bad for both sides, coaching was adequate for both, they just had the dominant inside man while ours was hurt.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

1. They will give him at least half way into next year before they even consider firing him.

2. To run an offense you have to have shooters, not just take 3 point shots. That is the problem with the Wolves offense. They need to find some shooters to pair with Towns and Wiggins.

While I think their upside is limited (6-9th type seeds) the Wolves need to commit to building around Towns and Wiggins. I know many will disagree with this, but they never have really tried to build around them. Wiggins came in in Saunders last season. Towns and Wiggins first year together was under Mitchell. Then they brought in Thibodeau who never wanted to build around Towns and WIggins. He wanted to build around JImmy Butler and brought in veteran free agents like Jeff Teague, Taj Gibson, and Jamal Crawford. Maybe that was the right plan if Butler could have been convinced to stay, but he didn't.

The biggest need is to find a 3rd offensive option that can fit in with Wiggins and Towns, and pursuing a trade deadline deal to bring in Russell. Then they need to find some top level perimeter shooters even if they are one dimensional players.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Papa Glen isn't going to be paying 2 ex coaches.

I doubt buying out Saunders will cost much (what was his contact?) But Glen ain't shelling out the cash to pay 2 people not to coach + putting up the money to hire anyone halfway proven
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
j2j

Post by j2j »

Think Glen is overly excited about firing one of the limited ownership partners? Ryan gets through next year to show progress.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:27 pm Papa Glen isn't going to be paying 2 ex coaches.

I doubt buying out Saunders will cost much (what was his contact?) But Glen ain't shelling out the cash to pay 2 people not to coach + putting up the money to hire anyone halfway proven
3 years 900k per

Easy buyout
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:15 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:27 pm Papa Glen isn't going to be paying 2 ex coaches.

3 years 900k per

Easy buyout
He would be paying 3 coaches. Not going to happened.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Sympathy hire.

Time to bring in a real coach.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

There are some lumps with Ryan, but he doesnt control the play on the floor. Honestly, some guys.need to start making some shots. That's not his job.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

YBBR wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:16 pm There are some lumps with Ryan, but he doesnt control the play on the floor. Honestly, some guys.need to start making some shots. That's not his job.
Ryan’s job is to adjust and make it easier on his players to execute. Sticking to the system over and over when the team is dead last in every category shows inability to coach and adjust.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Wolves haven’t lost 10 games in a row since flip tanked the last 20 games of the season for Towns.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Young Ryan obviously overmatched being an NBA coach but it was a feel good story when they hired him full time. The players loved it because they knew they could get away with whatever they wanted to (see Covington in particular) and this worked for a bit. Now it's clear they need a new direction and wonder what Glen will F up this time....

Bring McHale back?!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

The organization is suffering now because of what Thibs did. At one point in time you could have gotten three proven all stars for KAT, Wiggins and LaVine. He gave up one (and other stuff) to get one but it was a combination that was doomed. The best coaching hire would have been Monty Williams but would the Wolves have actually got that done? of course not.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Ryan turned Towns from a rebound scoring machine to trying to dribble and shake people on the 3pt line. It’s a joke.

His game should be from inside out, not out then inside.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Towns's scoring is up and he's more efficient than he's ever been and his rebounding is in line with his career averages, with an increase in assists, ws/48, BPM, FTAs, FTr, and a greater percentage of his shots are coming within 3ft this year than last year.

He's also 4th in the NBA in number of postups per game behind Embiid, Davis, and Aldridge.

For some reason the offense has been extremely stagnant the last 15 or so games when it started off with really good movement. It's turned into a bunch of iso BS. Not sure if that's Ryan made an adjustment, unlikely, or the players not doing what they're supposed to be doing and Ryan not holding them accountable, more likely. Layman going down seems to be the only thing that lines up, but he's not big enough to throw the whole team into a tailspin.

Team needs to get back to motion and away from this 5 games of 1v1 iso trash.

j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:01 pm The organization is suffering now because of what Thibs did. At one point in time you could have gotten three proven all stars for KAT, Wiggins and LaVine. He gave up one (and other stuff) to get one but it was a combination that was doomed. The best coaching hire would have been Monty Williams but would the Wolves have actually got that done? of course not.
Agreed, but Monty seemed hellbent on getting to Phoenix. He could have had the Laker job, but he passed on it for the Suns. Not sure what the connection is.