Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Randy Dobnak appreciation

A place to discuss the MN Twins
bubu dubu.

Randy Dobnak appreciation

Post by bubu dubu. »

What a pleasant surprise.

Undrafted out of division 2. Was driving Uber and Lyft for some cash as a side job.

Not sure I trust him in the post-season, but he's been a major factor in closing the season out.

Another nod to Falvine finding players that work.

Gardner Minshew II is the Randy Dobnak of the NFL.
feekdogg

Re: Randy Dobnak appreciation

Post by feekdogg »

I like him. He reminds me a bit of Trevor Bauer (style-wise, obviously not results, at this point).
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Twins rollin into the ‘offs with a child cancer survivor and an Uber driver. Fuck it bring it on yanks.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:35 pm I like him. He reminds me a bit of Trevor Bauer (style-wise, obviously not results, at this point).
I'm still a bit confused on if he's an opener, a BP guy, or a starter. Stretching him out his last three games points to maybe being a fulltime starter (which he was in the minors), but they sure did bring him along slowly in that role in the majors. Wonder what their reasoning was for using him in an opener type role early on in his call up? Probably trying to experiment with that relatively new concept...but why him?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

boxter432 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:37 pm Twins rollin into the ‘offs with a child cancer survivor and an Uber driver. Fuck it bring it on yanks.
lol, fuck yeah!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i can't see how he isn't a starter in the alds. i read where odo isn't a good candidate for a game in NY because of the stadium so he would toe the rubber back in minnesota. berrios, dobnak, odorizzi and then probably perez with a short leash if there's a game four? rocco's got a week to figure it out. smeltzer should get a start in one of these remaining games to see what he's still got.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:00 am i can't see how he isn't a starter in the alds. i read where odo isn't a good candidate for a game in NY because of the stadium so he would toe the rubber back in minnesota. berrios, dobnak, odorizzi and then probably perez with a short leash if there's a game four? rocco's got a week to figure it out. smeltzer should get a start in one of these remaining games to see what he's still got.
He hasn't exactly been facing the Yanks in this good stretch but I don't see how he doesn't start a game.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

Dobnak and Smeltzer had been nice additions, and both have that "it" factor where they have the moxie to be decent rotational guys. Dobnak has good velocity, with nice movement on his pitches, and most importantly - he attacks the strike zone. And I hate to rag on Kyle Gibson (despite his struggles, he's a good dude, flat out...), I wish he would have been just as aggressive as Randy Dobnak.

Dobnak should get a shot at the starting rotation next spring and not as a "opener" either. Smeltzer too, has shown some flashes of effectiveness. He's a bit of a junk-baller, but guys like him have had plenty of success in the Majors before.

And yes, the sample size on these guys is small, but so far, they are passing the "eye test". Both of them are unafraid to go after hitters, which says something about their mental makeup. Guys like Perez and Gibson right now, look like they are afraid to come after guys, then fall behind in the count, only to then get hammered, then sent to the dugout.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Vendetta11 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:05 pm Dobnak and Smeltzer had been nice additions, and both have that "it" factor where they have the moxie to be decent rotational guys. Dobnak has good velocity, with nice movement on his pitches, and most importantly - he attacks the strike zone. And I hate to rag on Kyle Gibson (despite his struggles, he's a good dude, flat out...), I wish he would have been just as aggressive as Randy Dobnak.

Dobnak should get a shot at the starting rotation next spring and not as a "opener" either. Smeltzer too, has shown some flashes of effectiveness. He's a bit of a junk-baller, but guys like him have had plenty of success in the Majors before.

And yes, the sample size on these guys is small, but so far, they are passing the "eye test". Both of them are unafraid to go after hitters, which says something about their mental makeup. Guys like Perez and Gibson right now, look like they are afraid to come after guys, then fall behind in the count, only to then get hammered, then sent to the dugout.
though it was nice to see smeltzer get another big league victory today-i don't think he did enough to get an alds start. but maybe he did? lots of hits given up-but didn't give up the big blow. is rocco going to give perez a start? of course this assumes a game four.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Dobnak has legit stuff. Give him some more time with out development staff, squeeze an extra couple MPH out of his FB, and you might have something. He's no fluke.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

He's a fluke.
(GM 3 starter)
Ketchup can be nuancy
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

I start him game three. It ain't close. Gibson and Perez won't last 2 innings vs the Skanks. He might not either, but at least there is a chance he goes 5-6 innings.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:07 am I start him game three. It ain't close. Gibson and Perez won't last 2 innings vs the Skanks. He might not either, but at least there is a chance he goes 5-6 innings.
the thought on game two was that yankee stadium isn't a good place for odorizzi to pitch. i'm sure he's going to get a start-who else do they have? gibson's been put in the BP and i don't know if you'd even give perez a game four start.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:10 am
Small Hands wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:07 am I start him game three. It ain't close. Gibson and Perez won't last 2 innings vs the Skanks. He might not either, but at least there is a chance he goes 5-6 innings.
the thought on game two was that yankee stadium isn't a good place for odorizzi to pitch. i'm sure he's going to get a start-who else do they have? gibson's been put in the BP and i don't know if you'd even give perez a game four start.
IF it goes game 4, you have to do a opener start. Perez doesn't deserve a start. 3 quality starts out of the last 10. He gave up 7 ER to the freaking Tigers during that stretch. His shining moment was a good start vs the Redsox. Outside of that, he's been terrible since June.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:19 am
IF it goes game 4, you have to do a opener start. Perez doesn't deserve a start. 3 quality starts out of the last 10. He gave up 7 ER to the freaking Tigers during that stretch. His shining moment was a good start vs the Redsox. Outside of that, he's been terrible since June.
try to catch lightning in a bottle for a second time?
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

I'd start Dobnak game 2, not 3. Do not put Odo, who is the premier fly ball pitcher in the major leagues into a bad situation by pitching in the softball, beer can league stadium, otherwise known as Yankee Stadium. Of course, Odorizzi did have a decent start back in May, where he was absolutely crushed at Target Field.... So... umm... whatever? Baseball is weird, and that's why I love it.

As for Perez and Gibson... No to Gibson getting a start. I would only start Perez as a 4th starter, but give that guy the shortest leash possible. I really hope they do not bring back either of them next year, just cut your losses.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:53 am

Pineida killed this team.
If they have to go unconventional and I think they do, why not do it all the way? Start Dobnak in game 1 against their ace. If you steal it 10-8, you have a 100% of the momentum, if you lose, then go out and win behind Berrios and Odo and take your chances.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Vendetta11 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:26 am I'd start Dobnak game 2, not 3. Do not put Odo, who is the premier fly ball pitcher in the major leagues into a bad situation by pitching in the softball, beer can league stadium, otherwise known as Yankee Stadium. Of course, Odorizzi did have a decent start back in May, where he was absolutely crushed at Target Field.... So... umm... whatever? Baseball is weird, and that's why I love it.

As for Perez and Gibson... No to Gibson getting a start. I would only start Perez as a 4th starter, but give that guy the shortest leash possible. I really hope they do not bring back either of them next year, just cut your losses.
This. He gets the start in game 2 with the entire pen behind him for the early hook if he struggles.

I'll bet on the "bullpen game" over Odo in Yankee stadium any day.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:41 am
This. He gets the start in game 2 with the entire pen behind him for the early hook if he struggles.

I'll bet on the "bullpen game" over Odo in Yankee stadium any day.
Agreed. The Twins have struggled against pen games in which every suck pitcher goes 1-2 innings. I'm afraid that's where baseball will go next.
Everything would have to fall right, but I think a combination of Dobnak, Smeltzer and Gibson can add up to 6IP, 2ER.
Ketchup can be nuancy
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Ask Not wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:28 am
weimy froob wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:53 am

Pineida killed this team.
If they have to go unconventional and I think they do, why not do it all the way? Start Dobnak in game 1 against their ace. If you steal it 10-8, you have a 100% of the momentum, if you lose, then go out and win behind Berrios and Odo and take your chances.
i like this idea. berrios is the prototypical game two starter right now. it might just be the right thing to get the most out of jose. but would you be comfortable bringing dobnak out for a potential game 5?
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

Mom.... Dobak....
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

dobnak gets the ball for game two.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Twins pitcher Randy Dobnak remains undefeated vs. Twitter foes
Would you want to be Randy Dobnak? Most smart people, including Dobnak, say yes.
By Michael Rand Star Tribune MARCH 25, 2020 — 10:08AM

The Major League Baseball Season, which has been postponed in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, would have started Thursday. Stat lines that would have started to fill up this week are going to be stuck on zero at least into May — except for one.

Twins pitcher Randy Dobnak improved to 1-0 this week, albeit against a Twitter foes instead of anyone on the field.

Dobnak, as you’ll recall, made an improbable rise from obscurity to Game 2 playoff starter for last year’s 101-win Twins, compiling a 1.59 ERA in 28.1 innings. His story is great, and his look is even better: a Fu Manchu-style mustache and sport specs are the centerpieces.

On Tuesday, though, a Twitter account dared to take on the mighty Dobnak with this premise: “Push this button and you get to be a professional athlete. the only catch is that you have to be randy dobnak. do you push it? ... i mean, even putting looks aside. my name would be randy dobnak. man. hard one.”

The original tweet has fewer than 300 likes; Dobnak’s reply has more than 20,000.

And that is a VERY high VORT — Value Over Replacement tweet.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

How we feelin about Mr. Dobnak now? Great that we signed him to a 5 year deal..... :pissed: :twisted:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:05 am How we feelin about Mr. Dobnak now? Great that we signed him to a 5 year deal..... :pissed: :twisted:
Less than 2 million a year. Chump change in the grand scheme of things. This team has oodles of problems bigger than Randy Dobnak.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:30 am
Hornets wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:05 am How we feelin about Mr. Dobnak now? Great that we signed him to a 5 year deal..... :pissed: :twisted:
Less than 2 million a year. Chump change in the grand scheme of things. This team has oodles of problems bigger than Randy Dobnak.
Still don't like it Dawg....FIVE YEARS? Dumb.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Hornets wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:05 am
Still don't like it Dawg....FIVE YEARS? Dumb.
He's all but irrelevant now. Sano is a much, much bigger problem than Dobnak is. He makes a lot more money and he's clogging up 1st.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

I still can't believe we went into Yankee stadium in the playoffs with him as a starting pitcher lol.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Anotha top performance tonight by Mr. Dobnak Dawg!! :lol:
Bunker Inspector

Post by Bunker Inspector »

boxter432 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:32 am I still can't believe we went into Yankee stadium in the playoffs with him as a starting pitcher lol.
Just like they went into Yankee Stadium in 2010 with Brian Duensing starting Game 3? He threw around 60 pitches, and not a single swing and miss by Yankee hitters.

This is who the Pohlad Twins are.

You get so emotional baby

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler: