Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

This team would be better off with Case Keenum

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Hector

Re: This team would be better off with Case Keenum

Post by Hector »

I guess we're going to find out how much better off we are without Case.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:38 pm
minnemike wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:35 pm I think Case has a higher floor when protection is bad, but no where near the ceiling of Cousins when protection is good. That's why they made the move. Case was never going to win it all vs great competition. Neither is Cousin's if you don't give him cleaner pockets. So the real crime as always is why they never developed the OLine as much as needed.

Take a look at a team like the Patriots. They ALWAYS have had a top oline protecting Brady. I would argue that's the only reason he's so accomplished. Look at Indy with Luck as the example of perfect QB talent wasted due to horrid oline.
Spot fn on post (except saying OL is only reason Brady is so accomplished - that's fucking preposterous). Another way to look at this - Case masked poor OL play whereas Cousins exposes it. It's really that simple.

As you perfectly stated, the real crime was why we never fixed the OL in first place, and other real crime - that RS still has a job.
a great offensive line can make a ton of QB's look real good. pro bowl good. a bad offensive line can take down most any QB.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:38 pm
minnemike wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:35 pm I think Case has a higher floor when protection is bad, but no where near the ceiling of Cousins when protection is good. That's why they made the move. Case was never going to win it all vs great competition. Neither is Cousin's if you don't give him cleaner pockets. So the real crime as always is why they never developed the OLine as much as needed.

Take a look at a team like the Patriots. They ALWAYS have had a top oline protecting Brady. I would argue that's the only reason he's so accomplished. Look at Indy with Luck as the example of perfect QB talent wasted due to horrid oline.
Spot fn on post (except saying OL is only reason Brady is so accomplished - that's fucking preposterous). Another way to look at this - Case masked poor OL play whereas Cousins exposes it. It's really that simple.

As you perfectly stated, the real crime was why we never fixed the OL in first place, and other real crime - that RS still has a job.
Brady is an epic passer and elite. But he's a statue that would never survive behind even an average Oline. It had to be great for him to succeed.

Vikes blew it big time thinking they could just invest all that money in Cousins and just have the same Oline. It was set to fail. Maybe they thought they were on their way before Sparano died and maybe the OLine progression died with him. We'll really never know, but the bottomline is that the OLine is not good enough to unlock Cousins as a decent passer.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

B-Town wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:32 am
PurpleHaze wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 pm
B-Town wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Come on. If they can't get it done with this group, it's pretty fair to assume that they won't next year, when they're a shell of this year's team.
Everybody said we would be a shell of a team this year because of the cap situation.......

Well........
:lol:

Who said that? We retained everyone.
The same people who say next year we will be a shell of a team.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Hard to be a shell of 8-7-1
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

JPM wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:50 pm Hard to be a shell of 8-7-1
Jpm, you're the joke that keeps on giving!!!
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Oof, watched the Bears/Skins highlights and Keenum really coughed the ball up a lot in that game, gave Chicago a short field a few times too and before they knew it Wash was down 3 TDs. His first INT went right through his receiver's hands though, but everything after that was kind of on him.

I don't think we'd be better off but think we'd probably be about the same.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

PurpleHaze wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:55 pm
B-Town wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:32 am
PurpleHaze wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Everybody said we would be a shell of a team this year because of the cap situation.......

Well........
:lol:

Who said that? We retained everyone.
The same people who say next year we will be a shell of a team.
What does that even mean? The reality is that the Vikings had a good amount of cap room going into the 2019 season. Next year is much different. That's not really debatable; it's just numbers.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Elite QBs can absolutely mask bad OL. They make good pre-snap reads, slide protections to compensate, recognize pressure, and get rid of the call quickly.

Brady has had some years where his OL isn’t all that great and he’s managed beautifully.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:02 am Elite QBs can absolutely mask bad OL. They make good pre-snap reads, slide protections to compensate, recognize pressure, and get rid of the call quickly.

Brady has had some years where his OL isn’t all that great and he’s managed beautifully.
Which years are you considering? I don't think I've ever seen him without an at least above average line.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

D_H wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:06 pm No he doesn't have the arm, doesn't have the physical stature , doesn't have the look, but what's between his chest is more important and I guarantee you he was more respected by his teammates than Kirk Cousins is. The money we're paying him should have been spent on the O-line, Case Keenum was just fine in this system. I have a feeling Mike Zimmer didn't want him, it was a GM move.
Trade for Keenum!

When he gets off the bus this week, don't let him leave MN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

D_H wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:06 pm No he doesn't have the arm, doesn't have the physical stature , doesn't have the look, but what's between his chest is more important and I guarantee you he was more respected by his teammates than Kirk Cousins is. The money we're paying him should have been spent on the O-line, Case Keenum was just fine in this system. I have a feeling Mike Zimmer didn't want him, it was a GM move.
Go on.
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

So close....
Hector

Post by Hector »

Case brought this team to the NFC championship game, with a McKinnon/Murray tandem and without an Irv Smith whom really adds a nice wrinkle...in his one and only year. Let's measure against that, instead of a higher paid QB with a better Oline, a better tight end corp, and a better RB duo...putting up gawdy numbers against some bad teams.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I think Kirk Cousins read this thread. They said he is playing angry.

High five everyone, we did it!
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
PohladPockyProtectorUWU

Post by PohladPockyProtectorUWU »

Why Not Us wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:23 pm
Trade for Keenum!

When he gets off the bus this week, don't let him leave MN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You joke but I would do this. If Kirk gets knocked into oblivion on a blown blocking assignment we need a good battle tested backup. It’s how Keenum became dear to our hearts in the first place