Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

This team would be better off with Case Keenum

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Philo Beddoe

Re: This team would be better off with Case Keenum

Post by Philo Beddoe »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:57 am Tank in 2020 for Trevor Lawrence. Bring back Sloter and let him start all 16 games with Cousins on the bench (or released) next season.
They might not have a choice. I think the window shuts after this year. They are going to have to cut quality players this off-season to get under cap.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Herky

Post by Herky »

vikesbumeout wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:15 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:14 pm Teddy looks awful in New Orleans...

Maybe we never had the answer and need to keep looking.

Trevor Lawrence?
I would have liked to see what Sloter could do.

I guess the reality is that if we needed him as an insurance policy then we were already screwed any way.

And here we are.
Sloter wasn’t good at running the offense at all. All this pre season game were Minnesota letting him do what he wanted to mainly showcase him. Keep in mind he never faced a starting defense outside of practice where it was said he looked worse than Browning.

Sloter is Tyler Heinkie Part 2.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:14 pm Teddy looks awful in New Orleans...

Trevor Lawrence?
How many games has Teddy played for them? Give him a few weeks with the starters in practice and games along with coaches drawing plays and protections for him and so bet he looks a lot better than yesterday. Hard to replace Brees in one game, the players are used to Brees - his throws and his timing after all these years.

If Brees is out for an extended time we will get a better look.

It really doesn’t matter now because he is with the Saints anyways.
Thor11

Post by Thor11 »

D_H wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:07 pm
Tmoney wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:04 pm Not sure if I would want Keenum back.

But he did beat some good teams.

More than Captain Crap My Pants.
He didn't curl up in the fetal position like Cousins does .......that just bothers me. I think his teammates can sense his mental weakness.
Why do you think they cut Sloter? You ppl think Manion is better than KS? No way he's better. He carried a clipboard for the RAMS...impressive. Believe it or not, Sloter was cut because they knew weak minded, shit in panties, can't get it done in big moments Kirk was ' uncomfortable' with the young prospect getting better and on the come. So shit head Rick S, cuts a future talent so poor Kirk could sleep comfortably...and that's the truth.
Life is on the wire...the rest is just waiting.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Thor11 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:05 pm

He didn't curl up in the fetal position like Cousins does .......that just bothers me. I think his teammates can sense his mental weakness.
Why do you think they cut Sloter? You ppl think Manion is better than KS? No way he's better. He carried a clipboard for the RAMS...impressive. Believe it or not, Sloter was cut because they knew weak minded, shit in panties, can't get it done in big moments Kirk was ' uncomfortable' with the young prospect getting better and on the come. So shit head Rick S, cuts a future talent so poor Kirk could sleep comfortably...and that's the truth.
i'd hate for this to be true. for more than a couple reasons.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:01 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:57 am Tank in 2020 for Trevor Lawrence. Bring back Sloter and let him start all 16 games with Cousins on the bench (or released) next season.
They might not have a choice. I think the window shuts after this year. They are going to have to cut quality players this off-season to get under cap.
Reiff, Linval, Harry, Rhodes could all be gone because of their contracts. I believe Griffen and Waynes are UFAs now next offseason too.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:16 pm
Reiff, Linval, Harry, Rhodes could all be gone because of their contracts. I believe Griffen and Waynes are UFAs now next offseason too.
I think these are for sure gone next season.
Reiff
Linval
Waynes
Griffen

If they lose Waynes, they have to keep Rhodes... and they will plug Hughes in at the #2 CB spot. Waynes is going to get paid as UFA. I think he is one of the most underrated players on the Vikings.

They are going to move ONeil to Left Tackle and draft a Tackle to play Right Tackle.
They are going to have to use a high draft pick on a DL to replace Linval... might even be the obvious first round pick.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Thor11 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:05 pm

It does reek of RS and not having legit back ups. Keenum was supposed to suck, but he ended up saving Rick's job. Rick quickly dumps him and Teddy. Then tells us all that Cousins is the missing piece.

Just a joke that he still has a job at this point.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

FYI. Case Keenum fumbled more than Kirk Cousins in 2018. Keenum's 1 fumble in 2017 was an aberration. I believe they would have been better with Keenum so far this year. It was one of Cousin's worst games ever yesterday.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:05 pm FYI. Case Keenum fumbled more than Kirk Cousins in 2018. Keenum's 1 fumble in 2017 was an aberration. I believe they would have been better with Keenum so far this year. It was one of Cousin's worst games ever yesterday.
Last week Cousins was all pouty about how that was the fewest yards he had thrown since Pop Warner. He was bummed he didn't do more.

While Keenum did have his share of boneheaded plays who is to say he wouldn't have improved?

Spielman would be best served coming out and saying that Cousins was talked up by Defillippo. Try to divert the blame, but his resume at picking quarterbacks and linemen is pretty extensive now. Keenum was on a bad Denver team last year and still they won one more game than the previous year. He would have been cheap.

Really Spielman messed up when he didn't sign Keenum to a 2 year deal. Most washed up back ups he brought in were signed to two year deals, but Keenum was on a 1 year deal. Mannion is also on a 1 year deal. Keenum was not that good, but he got first downs and didn't implode. He had his share of boneheaded plays and doesn't have the arm of Cousins, but he had moxy. He had a fire and guys believed in him.

Yet we just tossed him.
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Herky wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:26 am
vikesbumeout wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:15 am

Trevor Lawrence?
I would have liked to see what Sloter could do.

I guess the reality is that if we needed him as an insurance policy then we were already screwed any way.

And here we are.
Sloter wasn’t good at running the offense at all. All this pre season game were Minnesota letting him do what he wanted to mainly showcase him. Keep in mind he never faced a starting defense outside of practice where it was said he looked worse than Browning.

Sloter is Tyler Heinkie Part 2.
And, we will never know. We do know about Cousins though. Kirk will put up enough wins to dangle hope in the fan base but will never deliver post season depth........assuming we get our wildcard.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

This team needs Ponder back. He knew how to take the Vikings to the playoffs with a run game!

#MOIST

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

cunningham wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:27 pm
Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:05 pm FYI. Case Keenum fumbled more than Kirk Cousins in 2018. Keenum's 1 fumble in 2017 was an aberration. I believe they would have been better with Keenum so far this year. It was one of Cousin's worst games ever yesterday.
Last week Cousins was all pouty about how that was the fewest yards he had thrown since Pop Warner. He was bummed he didn't do more.

While Keenum did have his share of boneheaded plays who is to say he wouldn't have improved?

Spielman would be best served coming out and saying that Cousins was talked up by Defillippo. Try to divert the blame, but his resume at picking quarterbacks and linemen is pretty extensive now. Keenum was on a bad Denver team last year and still they won one more game than the previous year. He would have been cheap.

Really Spielman messed up when he didn't sign Keenum to a 2 year deal. Most washed up back ups he brought in were signed to two year deals, but Keenum was on a 1 year deal. Mannion is also on a 1 year deal. Keenum was not that good, but he got first downs and didn't implode. He had his share of boneheaded plays and doesn't have the arm of Cousins, but he had moxy. He had a fire and guys believed in him.

Yet we just tossed him.
In no way am I defending Cousins, but you literally made this up.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Keenum is terrible, dude can't hold on to the ball
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

????????????

If the Vikes cut 10 of the 11 defensive starters and then Cook, Cousins, Smith Jr, Thielen, Diggs and O'Neill all die in a plane crash then the window will be closed. Until that happens the window is opened.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Yet we just tossed him.
Yet everyone would have complained we wasted 2 years of Diggs/AT/ Cook/ etc for 2 years of crappy play from Case.

Where are his supporters after last nights game?
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:52 am QB's that this team would be better with than Cousins... that were available.

Keenum
Kaepernick
Fitzpatrick
Foles
Tannehill
Tyrod Taylor
Bridgewater

Keeping in mind, we would have saved anywhere between $8 million-$15 million with each of these QB's

Kirk Cousins is not a good QB. I am 100% convinced now. If I am the Wilfs, I am in Spielmans office this morning wondering who the fuck thought Cousins at $27 million/year would be a good idea.

That game yesterday was ripe for the taking... everything fell into place after the poor defensive start... The running game was clicking... the defense was dominate... the only turd sandwich in the equation was Kirk Cousins.

Kirk Cousins deserves every bit of hate that he is getting right now. This team has all the pieces in place to be a Super Bowl team... we just need slightly above average QB play. At $27 million per year, that is not too much to ask for... slightly above average.

Fuck Zimmer, Fuck Spielman... and a huge fuck you to Kirk Cousins.
You really think that O-line is SB quality? ST is also a mess right now.
And those QB's above? Really bad list, and I disagree with all except maybe Foles, but he's out, so...........
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

PurpleHaze wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:22 pm
????????????

If the Vikes cut 10 of the 11 defensive starters and then Cook, Cousins, Smith Jr, Thielen, Diggs and O'Neill all die in a plane crash then the window will be closed. Until that happens the window is opened.
Come on. If they can't get it done with this group, it's pretty fair to assume that they won't next year, when they're a shell of this year's team.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

B-Town wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:11 pm

????????????

Come on. If they can't get it done with this group, it's pretty fair to assume that they won't next year, when they're a shell of this year's team.
Way too early to claim they'll not be able to put something together next year. They don't lack depth and the NFL has a handful of franchises that have been able to avoid the, "inevitably closed window" year after year the past decade.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:18 pm

????????????

Way too early to claim they'll not be able to put something together next year. They don't lack depth and the NFL has a handful of franchises that have been able to avoid the, "inevitably closed window" year after year the past decade.
:lol:

Sure, if Cousins suddenly turns into Brady, Rodgers, Manning, or Rothelisburger, then yes, they have a chance to avoid the window closure next year. I didn't think of it that way. Great point!

Stup up, Abe!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

B-Town wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:25 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Sure, if Cousins suddenly turns into Brady, Rodgers, Manning, or Rothelisburger, then yes, they have a chance to avoid the window closure next year. I didn't think of it that way. Great point!
If Cousins isn't the answer the window is already closed so I guess I'll stop watching.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

????????????

Everybody said we would be a shell of a team this year because of the cap situation.......

Well........
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

I think Case has a higher floor when protection is bad, but no where near the ceiling of Cousins when protection is good. That's why they made the move. Case was never going to win it all vs great competition. Neither is Cousin's if you don't give him cleaner pockets. So the real crime as always is why they never developed the OLine as much as needed.

Take a look at a team like the Patriots. They ALWAYS have had a top oline protecting Brady. I would argue that's the only reason he's so accomplished. Look at Indy with Luck as the example of perfect QB talent wasted due to horrid oline.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

minnemike wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:35 pm I think Case has a higher floor when protection is bad, but no where near the ceiling of Cousins when protection is good. That's why they made the move. Case was never going to win it all vs great competition. Neither is Cousin's if you don't give him cleaner pockets. So the real crime as always is why they never developed the OLine as much as needed.

Take a look at a team like the Patriots. They ALWAYS have had a too oline protecting Brady. I would agree that's the only reason he's so accomplished
Most great QBs have had good olines. The only one off the top of my head who didn’t have at least solid protection consistently was Marino. And now you could probably argue Russell Wilson.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Yet we just tossed him.
Yet everyone would have complained we wasted 2 years of Diggs/AT/ Cook/ etc for 2 years of crappy play from Case.

I’m just saying a two year deal would have allowed the team a little more time.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

minnemike wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:35 pm I think Case has a higher floor when protection is bad, but no where near the ceiling of Cousins when protection is good. That's why they made the move. Case was never going to win it all vs great competition. Neither is Cousin's if you don't give him cleaner pockets. So the real crime as always is why they never developed the OLine as much as needed.

Take a look at a team like the Patriots. They ALWAYS have had a top oline protecting Brady. I would argue that's the only reason he's so accomplished. Look at Indy with Luck as the example of perfect QB talent wasted due to horrid oline.
Spot fn on post (except saying OL is only reason Brady is so accomplished - that's fucking preposterous). Another way to look at this - Case masked poor OL play whereas Cousins exposes it. It's really that simple.

As you perfectly stated, the real crime was why we never fixed the OL in first place, and other real crime - that RS still has a job.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Part of the problem with the OL has been eluded to.

The reason Brady, Brees etc have OL that function properly is because they understand the defenses they face and from there they call out protections at the OL as well as changing plays pre-snap and that makes the offense click.

Case did this better than Cousins and the players played harder for him because he would give them a chance to make plays.

He is making mistakes right now because he has a shitty coaching staff and is trying to do too much himself.
In Kwesi we trust.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

cunningham wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:11 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Yet we just tossed him.

I’m just saying a two year deal would have allowed the team a little more time.
Time for what? Our D is getting old. We need a QB that has the ability to help us win now. Cuz can pass when he has time. The Oline (as everybody knows) is still our biggest concern. If they are average, and only allow 2 sacks and less pressure, Cuz will look fine. Cook is making Zim and staff look good.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Spot fn on post (except saying OL is only reason Brady is so accomplished - that's fucking preposterous). Another way to look at this - Case masked poor OL play whereas Cousins exposes it. It's really that simple.

As you perfectly stated, the real crime was why we never fixed the OL in first place, and other real crime - that RS still has a job.
:clap: :clap:
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

PurpleHaze wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 pm

????????????

Everybody said we would be a shell of a team this year because of the cap situation.......

Well........

Who said that? We retained everyone.

Stup up, Abe!