Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
mlhouse

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:14 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Lol. As was mentioned before there is a salary floor.
LOL..... thats a winner.
Sure was thanks for admiting it.
Yeah, I think you missed something.

If soem team is dumb enough to take Jeff Teague's contract for just a 2nd round pick, everybody and their brother would do that. But, there isn't a team dumb enough.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:14 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 pm

LOL..... thats a winner.

If soem team is dumb enough to take Jeff Teague's contract for just a 2nd round pick, everybody and their brother would do that. But, there isn't a team dumb enough.
ATL was dumb enough to take crabbe.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:16 pm

I am sure we can package a couple of first round picks with Teague.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Tomorrow night should clear up these murky water's, boy's.

If there is a sign and trade.. #11 would surely be involved.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:19 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:16 pm

I am sure we can package a couple of first round picks with Teague.
Sure if we get back a young player worth a first and a 2nd that is going be nearly as valuable (maybe more valuable) as one of the firsts we gave up.

If you want to make an arrgument that ATL made a bad trade, whatever, but the value is what the value is.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:19 pm Tomorrow night should clear up these murky water's, boy's.

If there is a sign and trade.. #11 would surely be involved.
Probably wouldn’t know that tomorrow night, bub.
witljon

Post by witljon »

I'd have no problem parting with our draft picks for D'Angelon Russell.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:22 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:52 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 pm

LOL.... again, you think it is less retarded to give up #11 and Saric rather than take a $6.3 million cap hit over two years?

What will the Wolves do with that special extra $6.3 million? We still will not have any real cap space under the salary cap level so the MLE and the BE are the only ways this team can add free agents.

YOu are giving up a lot, assuming a guy like Russell can be signed in reality, for nothing. Absolutely nothing. The dead cap space Teague would carry has no cost to the Wolves. Zip.
Did you just read action words or what I wrote entirely? Our GM would have to be retarded to use the stretch. A miracle deal of Wiggins or overpaying in assets is the only thing to get Dlo....am I missing something? You asked how one could free up enough money, I answered. You're basically arguing with yourself because nothing you came back with disagreed with any of my statement. All of the options, yours and mine, are not good options merely to get Dlo. Go have some tea, relax.
That isn't what you wrote. But then, ok. "Waving and stretching isn't an option, assuming our GM ist a full blown ***nope***" sort of was your position.

I think trading away assets to clear cap room is more retarded.
So you're just arguing with which idea is more retarded. I say the stretching is retarded and I said giving up all the assets are not good options. That's very much what I said, you were clearly just looking for something to argue with LOL. Not good, retarded! :lol:
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

Stretching Dieng would save us roughly 10 mil a year against the cap for the next two, but cost us 6.7 mil for 3 years after...

Saying that, it would surprise me to see him stretched July 1.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:28 am
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:22 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Did you just read action words or what I wrote entirely? Our GM would have to be retarded to use the stretch. A miracle deal of Wiggins or overpaying in assets is the only thing to get Dlo....am I missing something? You asked how one could free up enough money, I answered. You're basically arguing with yourself because nothing you came back with disagreed with any of my statement. All of the options, yours and mine, are not good options merely to get Dlo. Go have some tea, relax.
That isn't what you wrote. But then, ok. "Waving and stretching isn't an option, assuming our GM ist a full blown ***nope***" sort of was your position.

I think trading away assets to clear cap room is more retarded.
So you're just arguing with which idea is more retarded. I say the stretching is retarded and I said giving up all the assets are not good options. That's very much what I said, you were clearly just looking for something to argue with LOL. Not good, retarded! :lol:
Stretching is "retarded" (we use the word special in our house) if stretching is being done for stretching's sake. But it isn't. If you can add a free agent like Russell or add assets, it isn't retarded. What is retarded is ignoring the BENEFIT of a move and only concentrating on the cost.

Now, aint that special?
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
T_J

Post by T_J »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 am
Isn't that fucking nuts? They have no clue what they're doing over there.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Lame.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Style

Post by Style »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:45 am
Lame.
I like Russell and would really like to see him here. However, being with LeBron and AD probably isn't in his best interests. He'll be the victim of LBJs passive-aggressive attacks on a regular basis. The team scapegoat. Is he mature enough to handle that pressure? I'm not so sure.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

GET HIM!!!!!
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

I'm conflicted about Russell.

Why are the Nets so willing to unload a young all-star PG while trying to sign a much more expensive option in Irving?

There's just something not right, but I don't know what it is.
T_J

Post by T_J »

What's the path to being able to offer Russell a deal here? And does it have to be a max?

Calling a capologist.

Basically what's the combination of contracts needed to move to sign Russ.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:19 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm

And that is your fantasy.
It is not my fantasy. I don't care if it happens or not, there should be a buyer, the fantasy is thinking stretching him to save a 2nd is a better option.
Trading a $19 million contract with just a 2nd and not taking bad money back into next season is not going ot happen. There are ZERO teams that want to pay Jeff Teague that much money. If you want to buy a 2nd round pick, they are almost always available for "cash considerations" that cost much less the $19 million.

Further, if the Wolves were actual players in the offseason free agent markets or the stretch provision dead cap made a real difference in signing additional players, then the calculations are different. The upfront value needs to be more. But, as is obvious, the Wolves having $6.3 million more in payroll cost will really not matter one way or the other. The most likely signing would be a MLE player (who doesn't have many other options).
Fun fact.....Sacramento has the most cap space available right now and has hardly any vet presence....and they only have two PG's on the roster.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:40 am I'm conflicted about Russell.

Why are the Nets so willing to unload a young all-star PG while trying to sign a much more expensive option in Irving?

There's just something not right, but I don't know what it is.
Kyrie is hometown.....and Brooklyn wants to take all the shine from the Knicks. It's simply a bigger name. They both have the same concerns, but it's purely about playing in the same town as the Knicks. And if they do land him, they have a lot better chance at another piece. Dlo played his way to where he's at, but that lockerroom mess he caused back in LA is never going to leave him. Nearly every player would rather play with Kyrie purely based off of that.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Wolves don’t have what it’s going to take to get Russell. Will have to remove a bunch of talent to replace with just one player. Wiggins is good for 20 or more points per game, Teague is good for 15 -20 points per game. Does Russell if added replace that and does it really win us anymore games - also Wolves just gave away Saric who would have been good for 15 to 20 per game, doubt Culver adds that this year.

Wolves had their shots at legit PG’s last night and choked on the opportunity.

Now they get to watch Russell and any other FA get bid on well beyond what this team can now afford.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

T_J wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:51 am What's the path to being able to offer Russell a deal here? And does it have to be a max?

Calling a capologist.

Basically what's the combination of contracts needed to move to sign Russ.
If he’s expecting the max? I think he’s eligible for something like $118 total over 4. If the raises are still 5% per...that’s starting at, uh, the $27 mil range.

The salary cap is...$110? Which I think is where we’re at not taking the draft picks into account.

So...not a solid chance of those are his expectations.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Let me get this straight. Lakers drafted Russel with the 2nd pick. 2 years later ship him to Brooklyn. 2 years later want him back.

2 years later trade him to ____________. 2 years later want him back.

My ex is blushing at how great Lakers is doin this.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

jodaman01 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:03 am Wolves don’t have what it’s going to take to get Russell. Will have to remove a bunch of talent to replace with just one player. Wiggins is good for 20 or more points per game, Teague is good for 15 -20 points per game. Does Russell if added replace that and does it really win us anymore games - also Wolves just gave away Saric who would have been good for 15 to 20 per game, doubt Culver adds that this year.

Now they get to watch Russell and any other FA get bid on well beyond what this team can now afford.
I agree that it will be VERY hard to get Russel however your logic of trading a couple pts a game in wigs and teague for 1 person's a couple of pts per game is way off. That's like saying Lakers shouldnt have traded 6 potential players for AD.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

shoteh wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:07 am
Let me get this straight. Lakers drafted Russel with the 2nd pick. 2 years later ship him to Brooklyn. 2 years later want him back.

2 years later trade him to ____________. 2 years later want him back.

My ex is blushing at how great Lakers is doin this.
In their defense I will say it's a completely different regime now with a completely different locker room.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

shoteh wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:10 am
jodaman01 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:03 am Wolves don’t have what it’s going to take to get Russell. Will have to remove a bunch of talent to replace with just one player. Wiggins is good for 20 or more points per game, Teague is good for 15 -20 points per game. Does Russell if added replace that and does it really win us anymore games - also Wolves just gave away Saric who would have been good for 15 to 20 per game, doubt Culver adds that this year.

I agree that it will be VERY hard to get Russel however your logic of trading a couple pts a game in wigs and teague for 1 person's a couple of pts per game is way off. That's like saying Lakers shouldnt have traded 6 potential players for AD.
right and to piggy back on that, it's not about what Teague can do for us this year because Teague is most likely gone after this year while Russell would be signed for 4 years.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Wow, you're right. We'll never get another opportunity to get a PG on this team.
OH WAIT, next year's draft is super deep at PGs? Is that right?

#sarcasm
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Why wouldn’t he go back to the Lakers - look at the roster.

He could now go back to the Lakers under his terms, and they would have to kiss his ass to do it. Not many players get to put the Lakers into that type of position.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

So basically to get Russell, we have to get rid of Wiggins without taking on money or the same with Teague/Deing combo?
populousample

Post by populousample »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:40 am So basically to get Russell, we have to get rid of Wiggins without taking on money or the same with Teague/Deing combo?
And he has to want to play here.
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

I'm ambivalent about Russell.

We still have Teague to bridge the gap till next year's "Year Of The PG" draft.