Post Lottery Trade Idea

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
User avatar
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero » Fri May 17, 2019 4:48 pm

somuchyummy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:34 pm
why does 11 have to suck? christ, think outside your own box for a change.
He doesn’t know any of the players past 3 and now has to pretend for a month that he does...

User avatar
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***
Posts: 16976
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by RubeTube » Fri May 17, 2019 4:50 pm

somuchyummy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:30 pm
IF memphis would do a straight wiggs for conley thing, i'd consider it A LOT just to get out of wiggs long term $$$.

i don't think it matters that much that conley's old and occasionally busts - or that we'd have to figure out "what to do" with jeff teague. oooooh. what should we DO with jeff teague?!?!? easy - just make conley the starter for the final two years of his contract, make teague the backup for the last year of his contract, let tyus walk, and draft the best PG we can next year when the draft is going to be full of them. concentrate this year's draft on getting the best bigs we can next to KAT (clarke in the first, konate in the second). and sign a free agent wing to replace wiggs and share time with okogie and reynolds (lamb, hezonja, bullock, korkmaz, justin anderson, alkins).

we're a playoff team next year. a non-factor playoff team, but a playoff team. we should keep our eye on the prize - that is, playoff relevance - and to do that, we need to find ways to not have so much of our cash nailed down long term in non-productive players.
I would rather Hayward and I have said NO to Conley but if it's for Wiggins straight up, I do that.

You get out from under that horrible deal and Conley helps you win now.

I'm all for trading Wiggins for a deal like that if #11 is not involved.
"Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do" -Kirk Cousins

30 Tds 10 Ints 4298 yds passing 70.1 cmp% 99.7 QBR (Set NFL Record)

User avatar
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero » Fri May 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm
I would trade Wiggins straight up for Hayward in a heartbeat.
Well Boston certainly wouldn’t do that so why talk about it? It’s mental masturbation.

User avatar
memyworld
Posts: 1015
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:23 am
Location: Sioux Falls

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by memyworld » Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 pm

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:50 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm
I would trade Wiggins straight up for Hayward in a heartbeat.
Well Boston certainly wouldn’t do that so why talk about it? It’s mental masturbation.
That's why this is a better solution:

Image

User avatar
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member
Posts: 9380
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by HeHateMe » Fri May 17, 2019 5:13 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:08 pm
HeHateMe wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:56 pm
beetlebum71 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 pm
Wiggins to Memphis for Conley and a heavily protected #1. Who says no?
How about this:

Wiggins to Charlotte
Teague + #11 to New Orleans
Holiday + Batum to Minnesota


That seems more realistic than Memphis taking on Wiggins at this point.
This team is not in a position to take on a player like Holiday at the expense of picks and cheap controllable labor. Frankly, he wouldn't improve the team anymore than Butler did and it is more than likely the team is worse than it was with Butler.
Fair take. The above deal wouldn't surprise me though. Some will prefer the team to bottom out and try to get expiring contracts for next year or the year after, others will prefer the team to stay the course and try to improve the roster by any means necessary.
Asshole wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am
I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.

SO_MONEY
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by SO_MONEY » Fri May 17, 2019 5:28 pm

HeHateMe wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:13 pm
SO_MONEY wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:08 pm
HeHateMe wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:56 pm


How about this:

Wiggins to Charlotte
Teague + #11 to New Orleans
Holiday + Batum to Minnesota


That seems more realistic than Memphis taking on Wiggins at this point.
This team is not in a position to take on a player like Holiday at the expense of picks and cheap controllable labor. Frankly, he wouldn't improve the team anymore than Butler did and it is more than likely the team is worse than it was with Butler.
Fair take. The above deal wouldn't surprise me though. Some will prefer the team to bottom out and try to get expiring contracts for next year or the year after, others will prefer the team to stay the course and try to improve the roster by any means necessary.
Improvement is subjective as some won't view such a deal as an improvement, because it hurts the long-term prospects of the team for negligible short-term gains. For the team to improve the long-term standing and overall health of the franchise is a factor to some. Others just don't care, they just want to live day to day and if today is better than yesterday, tomorrow doesn't matter, the effects of decisions don't matter. Obviously, I don't value anyrhing impulsive, short-term thinkers or "feelers" offer up, never will.

User avatar
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero » Fri May 17, 2019 5:55 pm

memyworld wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:50 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm
I would trade Wiggins straight up for Hayward in a heartbeat.
Well Boston certainly wouldn’t do that so why talk about it? It’s mental masturbation.
That's why this is a better solution:

Image
Why is Memphis doing that when they could get a better player than Wiggins with potentially less years remaining? Because Wiggins is young? Because he has "upside?" If we were Memphis fans we'd be like "why the fuck do we want Andrew Wiggins who couldn't cut it playing with Jimmy Butler and Karl Anthony Towns, who were top 15 players, and trade for him where he'll be playing with young guys like Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr?" I appreciate the ideas, and this is a message board so for sure less discuss shit because that's what we Wolves chatters do, but we have to think like the other team in these situations.

Thrillkill
Posts: 5922
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by Thrillkill » Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 pm

jodaman01 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:31 pm
Conley......Just No.....quit beating that dead horse. Butuum as well....Just Stop.

Wolves won’t move Wiggins just to move him, GM will wait a year and see what he looks like and see if he can turn him at all this season. If not, dump him the next season - if your getting nothing now, you will get the same nothing next year. One year less on his deal he would be more attractive based on that alone.

Just hope for the best at this point. It’s all we can do because the 11th pick sucks shit. Lottery Gods were again not kind and we will have to hope for a diamond in the rough. It’s not even fun to talk about players because so much is out of the Wolves control before #11.

Oh well...

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Joda is the voice of reason.

mlhouse
Posts: 7882
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by mlhouse » Fri May 17, 2019 6:23 pm

The problem with all of these ideas is that any trade that brings in a veteran like Conley is going to brign in a disgruntled player that does not want to be here, their play will suffer for it, any injury will have games missed increase by a factor of 4, they will talk bad about their teammates and coaches disrupting the locker room, and they will be looking for any opportunity to advertise that THEY FUCKING WANT OUT.

Why pretend otherwise.

Instead, lets try to figure out how to maximize Andrew Wiggins and Karl Anthony-Town's god given talent. We have seen it. Lets develop it and fit a team around them that can be successful as it can be. I think Covington is a great start as a top level complement (on a reasonable salary). I think Saric could be too.

BUILD THIS DAMN TEAM and let bygones be what they will be.

User avatar
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero » Fri May 17, 2019 6:38 pm

mlhouse wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:23 pm
The problem with all of these ideas is that any trade that brings in a veteran like Conley is going to brign in a disgruntled player that does not want to be here, their play will suffer for it, any injury will have games missed increase by a factor of 4, they will talk bad about their teammates and coaches disrupting the locker room, and they will be looking for any opportunity to advertise that THEY FUCKING WANT OUT.

Why pretend otherwise.

Instead, lets try to figure out how to maximize Andrew Wiggins and Karl Anthony-Town's god given talent. We have seen it. Lets develop it and fit a team around them that can be successful as it can be. I think Covington is a great start as a top level complement (on a reasonable salary). I think Saric could be too.

BUILD THIS DAMN TEAM and let bygones be what they will be.
Well that’s what is going to happen so we’ll see your plan in action. Wiggins definitely won’t be traded this offseason.

User avatar
witljon
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by witljon » Fri May 17, 2019 7:41 pm

bri wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 pm
Memphis says no
Wolves should try to trade up to grab white
Memphis might want to get rid of Conleys contract more than the Wolves do with Wiggins.

User avatar
somuchyummy
Posts: 4060
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by somuchyummy » Fri May 17, 2019 8:01 pm

memphis is a really weird team if you look at their roster. they'll draft morant. they nearly have to. but this year's roster included conley, avery bradley, delon wright, tyler dorsey and jevon carter - all of whom are primarily PGs. and let's not forget they've also got Point Forward Kyle Anderson on the team. some of these guys will be gone - but dang, they've got no shortage of Points. they are going to do everything in their power to move conley.
2018 All Time NBA Team - Overall Winner (in my mind)

PG - Jerry West / Dennis Johnson
SG - John Havlicek / Eddie Jones
SF - Kevin Durant / Metta World Peace
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo / Rasheed Wallace
C - Alonzo Mourning / Jack Sikma

Thrillkill
Posts: 5922
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by Thrillkill » Fri May 17, 2019 8:57 pm

somuchyummy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:01 pm
memphis is a really weird team if you look at their roster. they'll draft morant. they nearly have to. but this year's roster included conley, avery bradley, delon wright, tyler dorsey and jevon carter - all of whom are primarily PGs. and let's not forget they've also got Point Forward Kyle Anderson on the team. some of these guys will be gone - but dang, they've got no shortage of Points. they are going to do everything in their power to move conley.
That was a little weird but Conley is the only one of them with a guaranteed contract next year.

User avatar
somuchyummy
Posts: 4060
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by somuchyummy » Fri May 17, 2019 9:16 pm

i was just pointing out how thick with Points they were - and probably still will be - going into next year. they can trade conley, and not resign tyler dorsey and jevon carter - and delon wright will still be their third string PG after they draft morant.
2018 All Time NBA Team - Overall Winner (in my mind)

PG - Jerry West / Dennis Johnson
SG - John Havlicek / Eddie Jones
SF - Kevin Durant / Metta World Peace
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo / Rasheed Wallace
C - Alonzo Mourning / Jack Sikma

User avatar
digitalwolf
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by digitalwolf » Sat May 18, 2019 1:10 am

Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:04 pm
HeHateMe wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:56 pm
beetlebum71 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 pm
Wiggins to Memphis for Conley and a heavily protected #1. Who says no?
How about this:

Wiggins to Charlotte
Teague + #11 to New Orleans
Holiday + Batum to Minnesota


That seems more realistic than Memphis taking on Wiggins at this point.
At least it's realistic but I would rather keep Wiggins and #11. Batum does nothing for me.

Wiggins may still turn out and I wouldn't trade #11 straight up for Holiday.
I would def do the 11th for Holiday.

User avatar
witljon
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by witljon » Sat May 18, 2019 6:32 am

jodaman01 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:31 pm
Just hope for the best at this point. It’s all we can do because the 11th pick sucks shit. Lottery Gods were again not kind and we will have to hope for a diamond in the rough. It’s not even fun to talk about players because so much is out of the Wolves control before #11.

Oh well...

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
I enjoy talking about possible draft picks for the Wolves.
Giving and getting opinions of prospects is what most of these threads are for.
If its not fun for you, just stay away from the draft talking threads.

User avatar
somuchyummy
Posts: 4060
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by somuchyummy » Sat May 18, 2019 8:18 am

always my favorite time of the year. once the seasons start, not so much.
2018 All Time NBA Team - Overall Winner (in my mind)

PG - Jerry West / Dennis Johnson
SG - John Havlicek / Eddie Jones
SF - Kevin Durant / Metta World Peace
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo / Rasheed Wallace
C - Alonzo Mourning / Jack Sikma

User avatar
Rusty Kuntz
Posts: 3251
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:51 pm
Location: NBA Replay Center, Secaucus, NJ

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by Rusty Kuntz » Sat May 18, 2019 8:30 am

memyworld wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:50 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm
I would trade Wiggins straight up for Hayward in a heartbeat.
Well Boston certainly wouldn’t do that so why talk about it? It’s mental masturbation.
That's why this is a better solution:

Image
I would add a future first to Memphis if it got this done.

Corre Ricky Corre
Posts: 1880
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by Corre Ricky Corre » Sat May 18, 2019 8:59 am

Don't think Memphis would do it but with JJJ, Morant, and Wiggs... Those are some athletes...

User avatar
witljon
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by witljon » Sat May 18, 2019 9:57 am

Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm
I would trade Wiggins straight up for Hayward in a heartbeat.
So, what do you think of Haywards defense?

User avatar
Moses Scurry
Posts: 4396
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by Moses Scurry » Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am

witljon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:57 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm
I would trade Wiggins straight up for Hayward in a heartbeat.
So, what do you think of Haywards defense?
Wouldn't matter in 2 years. ;)

User avatar
witljon
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by witljon » Sat May 18, 2019 10:12 am

Moses, an ok Froob, Scurry wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am
witljon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:57 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm
I would trade Wiggins straight up for Hayward in a heartbeat.
So, what do you think of Haywards defense?
Wouldn't matter in 2 years. ;)
Haywards defense or what Sergeant Rubetube thinks?

User avatar
Moses Scurry
Posts: 4396
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by Moses Scurry » Sat May 18, 2019 10:31 am

witljon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:12 am
Moses, an ok Froob, Scurry wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am
witljon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:57 am


So, what do you think of Haywards defense?
Wouldn't matter in 2 years. ;)
Haywards defense or what Sergeant Rubetube thinks?
Defense.

User avatar
witljon
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by witljon » Sat May 18, 2019 11:12 am

Moses, an ok Froob, Scurry wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:31 am
witljon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:12 am
Moses, an ok Froob, Scurry wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am


Wouldn't matter in 2 years. ;)
Haywards defense or what Sergeant Rubetube thinks?
Defense.
I thought for sure you would reply "both"

User avatar
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***
Posts: 16976
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by RubeTube » Sat May 18, 2019 11:53 am

witljon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:12 am
Moses, an ok Froob, Scurry wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:31 am
witljon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:12 am


Haywards defense or what Sergeant Rubetube thinks?
Defense.
I thought for sure you would reply "both"
Please explain the joke?
"Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do" -Kirk Cousins

30 Tds 10 Ints 4298 yds passing 70.1 cmp% 99.7 QBR (Set NFL Record)

Thrillkill
Posts: 5922
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by Thrillkill » Sat May 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Because I can't take the ridiculous Wigs is the worst ever and we should all cut off a limb to trade him ideas, here are a couple actual ideas.

Wiggins for Ibaka- Tons of moving parts would have to come together. Mostly because this would have us taking wing at 11. But if Kawhi gives them the early word he will not resign they will go into rebuild. They will run out the string with Lowrey and Gasol and then Ibaka is useless to them. For us we get a still really solid big and his bird rights to possibly add another 2-4 years of him. It doesn't hurt our wing depth as we would draft Wigs replacement likely in Reddish. The loss of offense from Wigs to Okogie is mitigated by Ibaka's offense and that is a much better defensive and rebounding lineup. Also lets us take one of the many good prospect bigs in the 2nd.

Saric for #27 and #31 from Brooklyn-This one I really want to do and think it's possible. Works really well for both teams. Brooklyn has the room to chase FA's and still take on Saric's money without sending back any. He is a great fit for them as they have no frontcourt depth at all and their 1 guy is a defensive/dunk C. They are looking to take a huge step forward and would want a certain ready player to add over 2 rooks. Hell half their team is under 23. For us we get 2 more good picks to get the role player depth we need and now would be able to take a couple upside chances especially at PG where we could save ourselves a lot of work at the deadline and next year if it works out.

vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***
Posts: 11558
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:17 am

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by vikesbumeout » Sat May 18, 2019 2:33 pm

Is this team cursed?
The User Interface is Banter and Jocularity
The Logic is Wisdom
The Database is Fact.

User avatar
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***
Posts: 16976
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by RubeTube » Sat May 18, 2019 2:43 pm

vikesbumeout wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:33 pm
Is this team cursed?
No. I would say to be cursed you actually have to be good once and awhile. Have something.crazy happen, blow it in a big game etc..

This is just a horrible organization.
"Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do" -Kirk Cousins

30 Tds 10 Ints 4298 yds passing 70.1 cmp% 99.7 QBR (Set NFL Record)

vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***
Posts: 11558
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:17 am

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by vikesbumeout » Sat May 18, 2019 2:46 pm

Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:43 pm
vikesbumeout wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:33 pm
Is this team cursed?
No. I would say to be cursed you actually have to be good once and awhile. Have something.crazy happen, blow it in a big game etc..

This is just a horrible organization.
I wish we had Hoiberg.

Guy is rock solid ....except his heart.
The User Interface is Banter and Jocularity
The Logic is Wisdom
The Database is Fact.

Thrillkill
Posts: 5922
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by Thrillkill » Sat May 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:43 pm
vikesbumeout wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:33 pm
Is this team cursed?
No. I would say to be cursed you actually have to be good once and awhile. Have something.crazy happen, blow it in a big game etc..

This is just a horrible organization.
Cursed by poor ownership. Sure we got injury screwed with Sam but keep that team together 2 more years and we have a championship. Couldn't even keep it together for 1. Not to mention the 20 chances we had at getting a good player and we ended up with that other guy 20 times. What was his name? Cash Considerations?

Post Reply