Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official Wolves #11 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: *** Official Wolves #11 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft ***

Post by somuchyummy »

would clarke have trouble guarding embiid in the paint? um, yeah. but that's not really what we'd be getting him for. we need a defender capable of switching over on multiple positions effectively - and that's clarke. most of the guys he'd be covering coming into the paint - PGs, wings, even many power forwards - won't have some insurmountable size advantage over him. as he did continually in college, he'll cover those guys really well. and for those moments against lengthy opponents when his short stature and tiny alligator arms seem like huge impediments to his success - consider that his 40+ vertical puts his reach to only about an inch less than what jaxson hayes reaches when he goes up for a block.

as for rui, i'll say this in his favor. he's probably really coachable. seems like he's already got a great motor, but is smart enough to know that he still has lots to learn about the game - so there'd be open ears there.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:06 pm would clarke have trouble guarding embiid in the paint? um, yeah. but that's not really what we'd be getting him for. we need a defender capable of switching over on multiple positions effectively - and that's clarke. most of the guys he'd be covering coming into the paint - PGs, wings, even many power forwards - won't have some insurmountable size advantage over him. as he did continually in college, he'll cover those guys really well. and for those moments against lengthy opponents when his short stature and tiny alligator arms seem like huge impediments to his success - consider that his 40+ vertical puts his reach to only about an inch less than what jaxson hayes reaches when he goes up for a block.

as for rui, i'll say this in his favor. he's probably really coachable. seems like he's already got a great motor, but is smart enough to know that he still has lots to learn about the game - so there'd be open ears there.
This is why his height and wingspan aren't as big of a deal as people are making it (it still is less than ideal). Elite athlete along with elite timing and elite fundamentals go a long way towards making up for his height and wingspan.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

think about guys like westbrook, lillard, wall, kemba, the old derrick rose and others - they don't succeed at getting to the rim thru superior size and wingspan. it is/was all about quickness, the ability to stop and start and change directions on a dime, and hops. and brandon clarke is probably much better suited to contend with that than other larger, longer but more immobile guys in the paint.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Drafting a player with limited offensive ability is a huge mistake. Again, the WOlves have had a PF that fits similarly in Taj Gibson. He does not move the needle because whatever he provides defensively and on the glass, his limited offense hurts the team. And Taj Gibson during his last two seasons will be a significantly better player than Clarke in his first two years.

As far as "waiting", this is really what we have. We are not in a "tank" rebuild but we are in a rebuild as we, once again, change the leadership at the top of the organization and head coach. Andrew Wiggins has been int he NBA 5 years and has had 4 head coaches. This constant turmoil has really hurt our teams development. But Ryan Saunders is a fresh start but fresh starts need time to coalesce.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:15 pm Drafting a player with limited offensive ability is a huge mistake. Again, the WOlves have had a PF that fits similarly in Taj Gibson. He does not move the needle because whatever he provides defensively and on the glass, his limited offense hurts the team. And Taj Gibson during his last two seasons will be a significantly better player than Clarke in his first two years.

As far as "waiting", this is really what we have. We are not in a "tank" rebuild but we are in a rebuild as we, once again, change the leadership at the top of the organization and head coach. Andrew Wiggins has been int he NBA 5 years and has had 4 head coaches. This constant turmoil has really hurt our teams development. But Ryan Saunders is a fresh start but fresh starts need time to coalesce.
Again Taj and Clarke are nothing alike. Everything we need that Clarke brings Taj does not. How is it that you are so intensely "new NBA" when talking offense but somehow an old school low post man defender who doesn't move his feet well or block any shots is the same as a guy who can switch all 5 positions and blocks shots like a freak?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:15 pm Drafting a player with limited offensive ability is a huge mistake. Again, the WOlves have had a PF that fits similarly in Taj Gibson. He does not move the needle because whatever he provides defensively and on the glass, his limited offense hurts the team. And Taj Gibson during his last two seasons will be a significantly better player than Clarke in his first two years.

I believe this team should be in tank mode unless they pull off some amazing deal.

This is not a playoff team this year. I don't even need to see the moves made. They can't really eo anything significant.

You telling me the Wolves are better than...

GS
Hou
Port
Nugs
Jazz
Spurs
Thunder

That's 7 teams. Than you have the Clippers, Mavs (Improving), Lakers (Probably add a star next to Lebron)

They will be in the lottery next year again.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

and i'll take exception the "limited offense" thing - about both of those guys. taj wasn't nearly the cutter that saric is, but he was practically money when he got the ball in the low post. it's just that we hardly ever went there. apparently another long two by wiggins was a better option. as for clarke, he'd be absolutely fine as a supporting big next to KAT who doesn't need a lot of touches. he's extremely active and mobile - will get out hard on the break, will cut hard to the basket when KAT's getting doubled (and KAT's a pretty damn good passer in those situations), and he'll always be there pogoing in for putbacks. what he might add to his game is just gravy - and i will be surprised if he doesn't add something - he seems to be a very motivated and self-aware young man.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:57 pm and i'll take exception the "limited offense" thing - about both of those guys. taj wasn't nearly the cutter that saric is, but he was practically money when he got the ball in the low post. it's just that we hardly ever went there. apparently another long two by wiggins was a better option. as for clarke, he'd be absolutely fine as a supporting big next to KAT who doesn't need a lot of touches. he's extremely active and mobile - will get out hard on the break, will cut hard to the basket when KAT's getting doubled (and KAT's a pretty damn good passer in those situations), and he'll always be there pogoing in for putbacks. what he might add to his game is just gravy - and i will be surprised if he doesn't add something - he seems to be a very motivated and self-aware young man.
The problem is getting the ball to Taj Gibson on the low post is not a winning offensive scheme, and since he can't do much more than that Taj not being able to space the floor away from the lane to open room for Towns and Wiggins hurts the offense mroe than it helps. Clarke isn't as refined offensively as Gibson so his contributions would be even more negative.

A team that cannot space the floor int he NBA cannot win.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:51 pm

I believe this team should be in tank mode unless they pull off some amazing deal.

This is not a playoff team this year. I don't even need to see the moves made. They can't really eo anything significant.

GS
Hou
Port
Nugs
Jazz
Spurs
Thunder

That's 7 teams. Than you have the Clippers, Mavs (Improving), Lakers (Probably add a star next to Lebron)

They probably will be int he lottery again next year but there isn't any need to tank.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:01 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:51 pm

GS
Hou
Port
Nugs
Jazz
Spurs
Thunder

They probably will be int he lottery again next year but there isn't any need to tank.
Right and we really don't have proof teams tank. These guy's have pride but from a fans standpoint, I would rather they win 15 games and have a top pick than win 38.

There is nothing worse in sports than being mediocre. That's how you get stuck.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 pm

Again Taj and Clarke are nothing alike. Everything we need that Clarke brings Taj does not. How is it that you are so intensely "new NBA" when talking offense but somehow an old school low post man defender who doesn't move his feet well or block any shots is the same as a guy who can switch all 5 positions and blocks shots like a freak?
Exactly. I can't stress this enough. If you think Brandon Clarke and Taj Gibson are very similar players, you're simply wrong. They're both capable defenders, albeit in very different ways. Watch the Houston playoff series a year ago. Taj was getting cooked all game out on the perimeter. Got to the point where he really couldn't be on the floor. He didn't have the recovery and foot speed, agility, anticipation, and ability to switch seamlessly that Clarke has proven to have. On the perimeter. Were not even talking about his rim protection and block rates at Gonzaga. mlhouse can bring up the offensive limitations all day, and he has valid points on that. but his Taj Gibson comparisons are off. Clarke is just more athletic in every way and it shows against wing players.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:03 pm

Right and we really don't have proof teams tank. These guy's have pride but from a fans standpoint, I would rather they win 15 games and have a top pick than win 38.

There is proof teams tank. Look at the trades they make when they are losing. Last season, the Wolves should have been hyper active at the trade deadline trading any piece of the franchise that wasn't fastened down for anything they could. Gibson, Teague, Rose, Tolliver. Even if all they got back was cash for a new office printer (Kyle Korver's line) they should have made the deal and moved on. They did nothing.

The problem with the Wolves right now is that they do not have the pieces to tank right yet. Like it or not, the basic core of this team's future is sitting on the roster right now and extricating from that will be even more years of long suffering.

That is why I favor the short tank. Go into the season with reasonable expectations without adding long term commitments. Try to develop chemistry with the roster pieces. Hopefully we are starting to play well from mid-season on. If not, then try to do a fire sale at the deadline and if we sign any short term fill ins, try to do so with their trade deadline value in mind.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:11 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:03 pm

There is proof teams tank. Look at the trades they make when they are losing. Last season, the Wolves should have been hyper active at the trade deadline trading any piece of the franchise that wasn't fastened down for anything they could. Gibson, Teague, Rose, Tolliver. Even if all they got back was cash for a new office printer (Kyle Korver's line) they should have made the deal and moved on. They did nothing.

The problem with the Wolves right now is that they do not have the pieces to tank right yet. Like it or not, the basic core of this team's future is sitting on the roster right now and extricating from that will be even more years of long suffering.

That is why I favor the short tank. Go into the season with reasonable expectations without adding long term commitments. Try to develop chemistry with the roster pieces. Hopefully we are starting to play well from mid-season on. If not, then try to do a fire sale at the deadline and if we sign any short term fill ins, try to do so with their trade deadline value in mind.
I'm talking player's actually giving up. I don't really consider selling off pieces tanking as much as a smart business decision.

Yes, they should of sold at the deadline. In all honesty, they guy's they were selling were not worth much though. You still have to take what you can get.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:35 pm
j2j wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:18 pm Have there been negative comments about Rui's bbiq?
Well he's not good defensively off the ball and is pretty bad guarding the pnr. I think his off ball play in general is his biggest weakness for me. When he has the ball I think he's pretty exciting and efficient. BTW, answering mlhouse, Brandon Clarke was a much better player for Gonzaga than Hachimura overall. Impacted winning more.
He sounds perfect for the NBA!
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

digitalwolf wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:36 am
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:35 pm
j2j wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:18 pm Have there been negative comments about Rui's bbiq?
Well he's not good defensively off the ball and is pretty bad guarding the pnr. I think his off ball play in general is his biggest weakness for me. When he has the ball I think he's pretty exciting and efficient. BTW, answering mlhouse, Brandon Clarke was a much better player for Gonzaga than Hachimura overall. Impacted winning more.
He sounds perfect for the NBA!
He's not ready to be even a decent defensive player in the NBA. You would have to have patience. Which is fine. But his only 6 years of playing organized high level basketball shows. He gets lost constantly. Teammates are telling him where to be, he's terrible guarding pnr. He doesn't help well yet, and he's especially bad on the backside where his man relocates and Hachimura loses him completely. But he's athletic, long, and strong so there's potential down the line if he developments well to be a plus defender. But he'll have to learn defense and progress under good coaching.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

99% of new players cant handle defense....His motor suggest Noah without shitty offensive game.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

digitalwolf wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:02 am 99% of new players cant handle defense....His motor suggest Noah without shitty offensive game.
If he’s Joakim Noah with better offense as you believe, he should be a top 3 pick. I’m guessing he’s number 1 on your board?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:03 pm

Exactly. I can't stress this enough. If you think Brandon Clarke and Taj Gibson are very similar players, you're simply wrong. They're both capable defenders, albeit in very different ways. Watch the Houston playoff series a year ago. Taj was getting cooked all game out on the perimeter. Got to the point where he really couldn't be on the floor. He didn't have the recovery and foot speed, agility, anticipation, and ability to switch seamlessly that Clarke has proven to have. On the perimeter. Were not even talking about his rim protection and block rates at Gonzaga. mlhouse can bring up the offensive limitations all day, and he has valid points on that. but his Taj Gibson comparisons are off. Clarke is just more athletic in every way and it shows against wing players.
It really just kills me how offensive minded so many are. Have to play space and pace. Have to crank 3's. Have to get guys who guard that??????.............Nah, all defenders are the same.
witljon

Post by witljon »

This draft is kinda a yawner for me. Most years Im excited for the draft and who the Wolves might select. This year no one really intrigues me very much. I kinda like Porter Jr, Hayes, Little, and Sekou but most of these prospect being talked about here do nothing for me. I'm just not getting a good feeling about the 11th pick in the draft. I do feel that after the first 3 or 4 picks, the next 8 to 10 are about the same, but no stars.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:48 am
It really just kills me how offensive minded so many are. Have to play space and pace. Have to crank 3's. Have to get guys who guard that??????.............Nah, all defenders are the same.
I don't know if this is ironic or not but Clarke's defense is even suited more towards "today's" NBA. Quick, can cover lots of ground, elite at rotating, elite anticipatory instincts. You put RoCo, Okogie and Clarke on the floor and the opposing team won't ever be able to dribble and if they make it to the paint then Clarke is swatting it.

Strictly talking defense the only real limiting factor is his weight... And it's a legitimate one. Even his wingspan shouldn't be that big of an issue as his fundamentals and timing make up for it.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Nothing new but it's a new day in the of season. Basically the Wolves are exploring all options

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:46 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:48 am

I don't know if this is ironic or not but Clarke's defense is even suited more towards "today's" NBA. Quick, can cover lots of ground, elite at rotating, elite anticipatory instincts. You put RoCo, Okogie and Clarke on the floor and the opposing team won't ever be able to dribble and if they make it to the paint then Clarke is swatting it.

Strictly talking defense the only real limiting factor is his weight... And it's a legitimate one. Even his wingspan shouldn't be that big of an issue as his fundamentals and timing make up for it.
Ya and with those 3 on the court and one of our PG's on roster, who the bleep is going to make a shot other than Kat?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Covington is a solid 3pt shooter Sergeant Rubetube. He’s not a creator by any means but he can make a 3. But yes, getting a PG who can create and space the floor is vital long term.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:24 pm Covington is a solid 3pt shooter Sergeant Rubetube. He’s not a creator by any means but he can make a 3. But yes, getting a PG who can create and space the floor is vital long term.
True. He is streaky though. Can have great shooting games and then go cold. He is definitely the second best scorer and player we have.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:27 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:24 pm Covington is a solid 3pt shooter Sergeant Rubetube. He’s not a creator by any means but he can make a 3. But yes, getting a PG who can create and space the floor is vital long term.
True. He is streaky though. Can have great shooting games and then go cold. He is definitely the second best scorer and player we have.
Covington is a pretty good player, but I think most here are overrating him a bit.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

witljon wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:27 pm
Covington is a pretty good player, but I think most here are overrating him a bit.
Exactly my thoughts. :thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:31 pm

Good God..... Covington is not the second best player.

People here need to slow their roll on this guy. He’s a solid contributor 3rd to 4th wheel. Also the SOB needs to prove he can stay on the court this season, if he can’t - he will be traded.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

the SOB, huh? what term of endearment do you use for mike conley?

cov is alright. i'm glad we've got him. would he start for any of the four teams that got to the semis this year? - yeah, probably for the blazers, but not for any of the other three. but then you're looking at durant, leonard and middleton. not a lot of teams have starting SFs who would replace those three. he's certainly a bright spot on our team though - and a player who i hope we'll have for the foreseeable future. he hits threes at a good rate, he plays top end stellar D, and he works hard. we could do a lot worse. let's just say that when you look at the problems our team has, cov ain't one of them.

he's our second best player.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Mon May 27, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jodaman01 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:44 pm

People here need to slow their roll on this guy. He’s a solid contributor 3rd to 4th wheel. Also the SOB needs to prove he can stay on the court this season, if he can’t - he will be traded.
Hey, read my posts. I have been ripping the trade and people over rating him all year. Tell me who the second best player is though? That's the problem, RoCo is our #2 and that shows how bad of a situation we are in.

Please don't say Wiggins. I was one of his biggest fans and defenders. I still don't hate him like some do but that ship has sailed. Maybe he turns it around but right now, RoCo is a better player.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:47 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:44 pm

Hey, read my posts. I have been ripping the trade and people over rating him all year. Tell me who the second best player is though? That's the problem, RoCo is our #2 and that shows how bad of a situation we are in.

Please don't say Wiggins. I was one of his biggest fans and defenders. I still don't hate him like some do but that ship has sailed. Maybe he turns it around but right now, RoCo is a better player.
Roco proved he is solid, nothing else. His time was very limited...I will give him nothing more until he plays an actual sustained stretch to actually evaluate him here. His injury here and what DH has said about his inability to play through injury in Philly really has me nervous.

The last few weeks of last year Wiggins and Towns were 1a and 1b.