Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official Wolves #11 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: *** Official Wolves #11 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft ***

Post by somuchyummy »

it's interesting that in a roughly 26 week season, roco's injury means a lot negatively - whereas your own statement, "the last few weeks of the year wiggins and towns were 1a and 1b" - somehow those few weeks you see in a positive light. i mean, kudos to you for being optimistic about wiggins - rather than asking the question "where the hell was he for the majority of the season?" but feel free to extend that optimism to roco as well.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:51 pm it's interesting that in a roughly 26 week season, roco's injury means a lot negatively - whereas your own statement, "the last few weeks of the year wiggins and towns were 1a and 1b" - somehow those few weeks you see in a positive light. i mean, kudos to you for being optimistic about wiggins - rather than asking the question "where the hell was he for the majority of the season?" but feel free to extend that optimism to roco as well.
Plenty of optimism for Rocco, I want to see this team together to actually assess it.

Rocco is a great glue guy....to sit and blow smoke about him based on his very limited time in the floor here isn’t realistic.

Saunders finally got to change some of the gameplan and Wiggins without a doubt played better under it. During that stretch what I saw from him is what everybody hopes for out of him. The stuff he was doing was stuff Roco has never done in his career.

I want them both to play well and I want them both to succeed.

Both have a lot to prove for me this season.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

People are seriously underrating the impact RoCo has on defense.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

yes they are. i remember when he first hit the floor for us, we were kind of shocked - like, oh... that's how it's done. i'd forgotten.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Towns, RoCo, the rest. Not sure why anyone would think different.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

New Jonathan Wasserman mock draft has us taking Hachimura...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/283 ... g-3#slide2
T_J

Post by T_J »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:43 pm People are seriously underrating the impact RoCo has on defense.
He was excellent defensively here. His numbers offensively have been consistent for like 3 years now too.

The "I need to see more out of him to know what he's capable of" stuff is pure nonsense.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

yeah, first team nba all defensive 2018. but what has he done? :thinking:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:47 pm Please don't say Wiggins. I was one of his biggest fans and defenders. I still don't hate him like some do but that ship has sailed. Maybe he turns it around but right now, RoCo is a better player.
Um..... can you clarify?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sam Vecenie wrote: Bol Bol stock all over the board

Bol Bol (Photo: Troy Wayrynen / USA Today Sports)

I went to Chicago hoping to gain more clarity on Bol’s draft situation. I can’t say that ended up happening, although there is certainly something of a direction to it. Bol’s measurements were absolutely terrific as he came in at nearly 7-foot-1 without shoes, a 7-7 wingspan, and a 9-foot-7 standing reach. Those are Rudy Gobert-ish numbers. However, he only weighed in at 208 pounds, a much lower number than the 235 pounds he was listed at when he played for Oregon earlier this year. So either Oregon was wrong about what he weighed, or he’s lost nearly 30 pounds while injured from not working out. Either answer is not a particularly encouraging sign.

Evaluators are still remarkably mixed on Bol. The weight is a legitimate issue. He can’t play in the NBA with his high center of gravity at 210 pounds. He’ll get pushed around all over the place. Teams also just will pull him away from the basket constantly and force him to guard on the perimeter, something he was not particularly interested in doing or was incapable of accomplishing in his short stint this season. But at 7-foot-2 with that length, Bol is also a genuine floor spacer who can hit 3s at a near-40-percent clip from Day One. That’s a legitimately fascinating package of skills, especially when paired with the fact that he can handle the ball a little bit out in space. But the injury is a serious issue for teams as well, as big men tend to have recurring foot problems.

It’s all going to come down to what kind of reports doctors get back on the foot, and what kind of intel evaluators get back on Bol’s work ethic and background. His motor on the floor is not particularly strong, and he has a reputation for not working as hard as possible off the court. Is it possible that it’s just teenage immaturity, and something that a team can work with? Or is it just never going to come, especially once a team gives him millions of dollars? That’s the conundrum facing every NBA team. Are they willing to take the risk/reward plunge with Bol? Genuinely his draft night will be among the most interesting storylines in the entire event.

Bol will be in consideration for teams starting around No. 10 or so. But I also can’t guarantee you that he ends up going in the first round right now, given how risk-averse decision-makers tend to be. That’s how in flux this situation is. That’s how wide Bol’s draft range is. Ultimately, for Bol to be picked anywhere, it’s going to take something of a leap of faith by a lead decision maker. He’s going to have to, on some level, overlook the many questions that surround Bol as a player at the next level and just decide to say “Screw it, I’m taking a chance.” When does the risk outweigh the reward? For me personally, probably not until around the second round starts. But there are certainly evaluators who think otherwise and rate him much more highly.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:45 am

I went to Chicago hoping to gain more clarity on Bol’s draft situation. I can’t say that ended up happening, although there is certainly something of a direction to it. Bol’s measurements were absolutely terrific as he came in at nearly 7-foot-1 without shoes, a 7-7 wingspan, and a 9-foot-7 standing reach. Those are Rudy Gobert-ish numbers. However, he only weighed in at 208 pounds, a much lower number than the 235 pounds he was listed at when he played for Oregon earlier this year. So either Oregon was wrong about what he weighed, or he’s lost nearly 30 pounds while injured from not working out. Either answer is not a particularly encouraging sign.

Evaluators are still remarkably mixed on Bol. The weight is a legitimate issue. He can’t play in the NBA with his high center of gravity at 210 pounds. He’ll get pushed around all over the place. Teams also just will pull him away from the basket constantly and force him to guard on the perimeter, something he was not particularly interested in doing or was incapable of accomplishing in his short stint this season. But at 7-foot-2 with that length, Bol is also a genuine floor spacer who can hit 3s at a near-40-percent clip from Day One. That’s a legitimately fascinating package of skills, especially when paired with the fact that he can handle the ball a little bit out in space. But the injury is a serious issue for teams as well, as big men tend to have recurring foot problems.

It’s all going to come down to what kind of reports doctors get back on the foot, and what kind of intel evaluators get back on Bol’s work ethic and background. His motor on the floor is not particularly strong, and he has a reputation for not working as hard as possible off the court. Is it possible that it’s just teenage immaturity, and something that a team can work with? Or is it just never going to come, especially once a team gives him millions of dollars? That’s the conundrum facing every NBA team. Are they willing to take the risk/reward plunge with Bol? Genuinely his draft night will be among the most interesting storylines in the entire event.

Bol will be in consideration for teams starting around No. 10 or so. But I also can’t guarantee you that he ends up going in the first round right now, given how risk-averse decision-makers tend to be. That’s how in flux this situation is. That’s how wide Bol’s draft range is. Ultimately, for Bol to be picked anywhere, it’s going to take something of a leap of faith by a lead decision maker. He’s going to have to, on some level, overlook the many questions that surround Bol as a player at the next level and just decide to say “Screw it, I’m taking a chance.” When does the risk outweigh the reward? For me personally, probably not until around the second round starts. But there are certainly evaluators who think otherwise and rate him much more highly.
I get it, it's all speculation....but I haven't wanted to avoid a player this badly in many years. I will be happy with almost anyone ahead of him.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

We’re 100% not taking Bol Bol.

If you book anything about this draft, book that.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Stork311 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:51 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:45 am

I get it, it's all speculation....but I haven't wanted to avoid a player this badly in many years. I will be happy with almost anyone ahead of him.
I get it, the foot stuff, questionable motor give me some pause too. I am very curious to see how he does going forward. The weight issue is shocking to me.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:06 am yeah, first team nba all defensive 2018. but what has he done? :thinking:
I’m sure during training camp nobody will be asking any questions about how him and his knee are doing..... :roll:
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

T_J wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:43 pm People are seriously underrating the impact RoCo has on defense.
He was excellent defensively here. His numbers offensively have been consistent for like 3 years now too.

The "I need to see more out of him to know what he's capable of" stuff is pure nonsense.
I do agree with though that he shouldn't be the second best player on a team. He is what i call an "ultra" role. He's about as good as you can get from a 3 and D guy (whose defense is arguably DPOY worthy).

What I don't get is why some want to trade him. Great contact, great impact on the floor, not old.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
T_J

Post by T_J »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:29 pm
T_J wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 am

I do agree with though that he shouldn't be the second best player on a team. He is what i call an "ultra" role. He's about as good as you can get from a 3 and D guy (whose defense is arguably DPOY worthy).

What I don't get is why some want to trade him. Great contact, great impact on the floor, not old.
I agree because he's not a creator offensively. He can be the 3rd or 4th best guy on a contender though.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I would look for NBA body, doesn't seem like a complete idiot, sophomore or freshman, and then body of work at college level in that order.
Style

Post by Style »

thinktank wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:05 am We’re 100% not taking Bol Bol.

Thanks man! I don't usually book anything about the draft, but since you say book that, I'll book that.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Style

Post by Style »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:39 pm I would look for NBA body, doesn't seem like a complete idiot, sophomore or freshman, and then body of work at college level in that order.
Now you tell us!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Thanks man! I don't usually book anything about the draft, but since you say book that, I'll book that.
I hope the Wolves take Bol Bol now. :lol:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:20 pm

I would avoid Bol but I also wish him 100% luck. His father was a great man and we owe it to him to be fans of his son no matter what team he plays for.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:26 pm

I would avoid Bol but I also wish him 100% luck. His father was a great man and we owe it to him to be fans of his son no matter what team he plays for.
For sure, he's not my top choice for the Wolves. I like Sekou but don't think he'll be there. In an effort to torment Double T, thinktank, I would laugh and celebrate if the Wolves ended up with Bol Bol.
Style

Post by Style »

They won't because thinktank said so! Book that.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Is Bol Bol going to be better than Gobert? How far has Gobert taken the Jazz? Say no to Bol...Bol.

He's a taller Dieng which means he can't recover, he's gonna be slow and has no quick twitch skills.

Bleh.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:49 pm Is Bol Bol going to be better than Gobert? How far has Gobert taken the Jazz? Say no to Bol...Bol.

He's a taller Dieng which means he can't recover, he's gonna be slow and has no quick twitch skills.

Bleh.
Bol Bol has a lot more length than Dieng and is much more skilled offensively.

Defensively though, I don't think there's any chance Bol comes close to Gobert.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:03 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:49 pm Is Bol Bol going to be better than Gobert? How far has Gobert taken the Jazz? Say no to Bol...Bol.

Bleh.

No Dieng lover but he did shoot 50/34% last season and 50/37 when he played 32 minutes a game. I'm doubting Bol Bol is going to be a ton better.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:06 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:03 pm

Bleh.

No Dieng lover but he did shoot 50/34% last season and 50/37 when he played 32 minutes a game. I'm doubting Bol Bol is going to be a ton better.
Dieng is a solid player, just massively overpaid like most were in 2016. He didn't have a high ceiling coming out of Louisville but he was a safe pick regardless because he's durable, has good size, works hard etc... the shot has impressed me over the years though I will not cringe when I see him launch from the corner three despite him making some.

Bol Bol was projected to be a top 5 pick had he stayed healthy. I have no idea what the future of his feet are, it's a big concern but someone will take him (likely in the lotter) the same reason Michael Porter Jr went the year before to Denver. Upside!
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

thinktank

Post by thinktank »

You’re such a goon. Get those hopes way up, Teach.

:zzz: