Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2022 Gophers Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
jffl_commish

Re: 2022 Gophers Recruits

Post by jffl_commish »

I don't know who Jaden Henley is, but he just committed.
Let's get Tropical
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:05 pm I don't know who Jaden Henley is, but he just committed.
Looks like a late bloomer type of prospect. San Diego State offered him in August, but I don't see any other major offers.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

@FullTimeHoops1
Just 17, 6-5 2022 Colony G Jaden Henley is a big guard with solid ball skills, playmaking and shot making ability. He was impressive last week for Team Inland at the Showcase By The Beach. https://t.co/pehVD6iCBo
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:18 pm @FullTimeHoops1
Just 17, 6-5 2022 Colony G Jaden Henley is a big guard with solid ball skills, playmaking and shot making ability. He was impressive last week for Team Inland at the Showcase By The Beach. https://t.co/pehVD6iCBo
Big guard that might be able to handle the wing too. BJ seems thrilled with getting him.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

ForCaleb wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:28 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:18 pm @FullTimeHoops1
Big guard that might be able to handle the wing too. BJ seems thrilled with getting him.
Sounds like these California kids haven't been able to play much since the state has been so shutdown. No one has seen him play which might be why he only had two offers.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Little bummed…looks like Pharrell Payne isn’t dressed today for their game against Lakeville North. Was looking forward to him matching up against Nolan Winter.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eric Bossi on Jaden Henley:
Bossi: We will watch him again on Wednesday, but Henley has impressive physical tools to go along with some game. A long armed and bouncy athlete, Henley impressed with his first step off the dribble, ability to rise up and knock down open shots from deep and his desire to attack the rim in transition.

Henley is on the lean side, but his frame is built to carry muscle without costing him any flexibility and he looks to have a lot of upside. In the era of the transfer portal, high major programs have been less and less inclined to go all in on off the radar players like Henley and the first impression he made on Tuesday made it pretty clear why the Gophers decided to go ahead and get him locked up.
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

So 4 scholarships open for Grad Transfers / Transfers?

Battle
Fox
Ihnen
Thompson
Thiam
Payne
Ola Joseph
Carrington
Henley
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I've seen a couple of transfer names they've talked to, but I don't recall their names at the moment.

Regardless, room to improve for sure. They might not be far off from being competitive if Johnson can get a couple good guys in here. The bench will be massively better.
Let's get Tropical
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Any chance for some splash local signings? Maybe not the type they've been losing to Duke for forever, but maybe guys that have been picking Wisconsin for as long as I can remember.
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:29 pm Any chance for some splash local signings? Maybe not the type they've been losing to Duke for forever, but maybe guys that have been picking Wisconsin for as long as I can remember.
Unlikely for 2022. 2023 and beyond a possibility. Likely for the remaining 2022 scholarships, we are probably talking transfer portal guys with one year of eligibility left. They might take one guy with 2 or 3 years left. Most of the 2022 HS seniors have already signed their LOIs.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:29 pm Any chance for some splash local signings? Maybe not the type they've been losing to Duke for forever, but maybe guys that have been picking Wisconsin for as long as I can remember.
According to Prep Hoops, Elvis Nnaji is unsigned yet. But, I'm not sure if that's a "splash" move. I've watching him play a couple times, and while he's certainly a good player, I'm really not sure how that translates to the Big 10. I'd want to see more of him to get a better feel.

In other 2022 news, St Thomas grabbed three of the top 14 in the state, and all that are pretty solid players. Going to be interesting to see how they do in the next couple years. Might not take them long to build a conference powerhouse.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:34 pm
According to Prep Hoops, Elvis Nnaji is unsigned yet. But, I'm not sure if that's a "splash" move. I've watching him play a couple times, and while he's certainly a good player, I'm really not sure how that translates to the Big 10. I'd want to see more of him to get a better feel.

In other 2022 news, St Thomas grabbed three of the top 14 in the state, and all that are pretty solid players. Going to be interesting to see how they do in the next couple years. Might not take them long to build a conference powerhouse.
If they are losing Big 10 capable players to UST that's a bad sign, but even if so if it's short term then they will hopefully overcome.

As far as them becoming a powerhouse - if that means competing with UW and Iowa I will be content. I don't expect Elite 8 runs every other year, but my goodness if you look at their campus, at their overall facilities, at a fanbase that is waiting to explode and has been there in the past, at business opportunities for alumni that Madison and whatever town Iowa is in can't compete with - they have everything they need to be competitive. Hopefully Ben and company can put it all together.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:12 pm

If they are losing Big 10 capable players to UST that's a bad sign, but even if so if it's short term then they will hopefully overcome.

As far as them becoming a powerhouse - if that means competing with UW and Iowa I will be content. I don't expect Elite 8 runs every other year, but my goodness if you look at their campus, at their overall facilities, at a fanbase that is waiting to explode and has been there in the past, at business opportunities for alumni that Madison and whatever town Iowa is in can't compete with - they have everything they need to be competitive. Hopefully Ben and company can put it all together.
I meant St Thomas becoming a conference powerhouse (yes, I know it's just the Summit, but if they're grabbing U quality recruits, that's good for them).

I think the U campus is over-hyped in the fact that it's right in the middle of the city. Now, that is great for people looking for those opportunities post college. But, one of the arguments that always seems to come up is that it's not a "college" town. Apparently that hurts recruiting, as well as having so many professional sports teams here, somehow knocks down getting some of those recruits that want to be the big name in town. I don't know if I agree with that, but I'm also not in the mindset of some of these recruits, obviously. I think the U should be able to win and be a top 5-6 team in the conference every year. I think the resources are here. And, while they aren't my favorite team in the conference, I root for them in every game but one or two a year. I think the conference is better when they're good. If Fran can continuously win in Iowa, then there's really no reason the Gophers shouldn't be able to. And they have a stronger recruiting base here. And I say that as a huge Iowa fan. I've felt that way about the football teams, too. Minnesota can and should be able to get great athletes, and usually has better athletes than Iowa. But the results never show that.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:28 pm

I meant St Thomas becoming a conference powerhouse (yes, I know it's just the Summit, but if they're grabbing U quality recruits, that's good for them).

I think the U campus is over-hyped in the fact that it's right in the middle of the city. Now, that is great for people looking for those opportunities post college. But, one of the arguments that always seems to come up is that it's not a "college" town. Apparently that hurts recruiting, as well as having so many professional sports teams here, somehow knocks down getting some of those recruits that want to be the big name in town. I don't know if I agree with that, but I'm also not in the mindset of some of these recruits, obviously. I think the U should be able to win and be a top 5-6 team in the conference every year. I think the resources are here. And, while they aren't my favorite team in the conference, I root for them in every game but one or two a year. I think the conference is better when they're good. If Fran can continuously win in Iowa, then there's really no reason the Gophers shouldn't be able to. And they have a stronger recruiting base here. And I say that as a huge Iowa fan. I've felt that way about the football teams, too. Minnesota can and should be able to get great athletes, and usually has better athletes than Iowa. But the results never show that.
I'm not sure where you're getting opinions about it being a "college town" are coming from, but if you went to the U and spent actual time around campus you'd know the campus itself is 100% "college town" and not all that different from Madison. Downtown Minneapolis is there but it doesn't interfere with campus life.

University Ave. is littered with frat houses, 15th runs right into the heart of campus buildings, Dinkytown has an overall small town feel to it, when you walk down University Ave on gameday towards the Bank it is really a tremendous experience, right next to the Bank there is Mariucci, Williams along with dozens of other facilities for the U exclusively including housing. Seriously go spend a day down on Univ and walk around Dinkytown, then traverse across 15th, or Oak Street, or Church Street, or Walnut Street etc. and tell me that's not a true college atmosphere. Whomever is feeding you these lines are full of shit pardon my French. I don't direct that towards you, but anyone claiming that's not a college atmosphere has no idea what they're talking about.

They have no problem in general fielding a competitive hockey team. The basketball team has had ups and downs but that has more to do with leadership. The women's BB coach that went to Maryland had the Gophers as a legit national team despite "the campus". Clem Haskins made them legit but yes obviously his program had issues. The football team is now becoming more and more competitive. The women's hockey team has more NTs than any other. I suspect you're getting these opinions from small town folks scared of the big bad city, not legit recruits or their families.

Their problem is not location it's been marketing, coaching and leadership from within. I think they've turned that corner, but obviously we have to wait and see.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:58 pm

I'm not sure where you're getting opinions about it being a "college town" are coming from, but if you went to the U and spent actual time around campus you'd know the campus itself is 100% "college town" and not all that different from Madison. Downtown Minneapolis is there but it doesn't interfere with campus life.

University Ave. is littered with frat houses, 15th runs right into the heart of campus buildings, Dinkytown has an overall small town feel to it, when you walk down University Ave on gameday towards the Bank it is really a tremendous experience, right next to the Bank there is Mariucci, Williams along with dozens of other facilities for the U exclusively including housing. Seriously go spend a day down on Univ and walk around Dinkytown, then traverse across 15th, or Oak Street, or Church Street, or Walnut Street etc. and tell me that's not a true college atmosphere. Whomever is feeding you these lines are full of shit pardon my French. don't direct that towards you, but anyone claiming that's not a college atmosphere has no idea what they're talking about.

They have no problem in general fielding a competitive hockey team. The basketball team has had ups and downs but that has more to do with leadership. The women's BB coach that went to Maryland has the Gophers as a legit national team. Clem Haskins made them legit but yes obviously his program had issues. The football team is now becoming more and more competitive. The women's hockey team has more NTs than any other. I suspect you're getting these opinions from small town folks scared of the big bad city, not legit recruits or their families.

Their problem is not location it's been marketing, coaching and leadership from within. I think they've turned that corner, but obviously we have to wait and see.
I'm basing that off of following recruiting for a number of years, and from a large number of people I know that have gone to the U. I'm not pulling it out of my ass. Hell, they talked about it on KFAN and in the Strib for years. I've been to a ton of games at the U, for basketball, football, volleyball, and hockey. I'm well aware of what campus is like. I had season tickets for Gopher women's basketball while one of my hometown girls was a star there. But, maybe all those sources and my experiences are wrong. :shrug:

Leadership is clearly the legitimate problem. Especially in basketball recruiting. Everything else is just opinion anyway.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:12 pm

University Ave. is littered with frat houses, 15th runs right into the heart of campus buildings, Dinkytown has an overall small town feel to it, when you walk down University Ave on gameday towards the Bank it is really a tremendous experience, right next to the Bank there is Mariucci, Williams along with dozens of other facilities for the U exclusively including housing. Seriously go spend a day down on Univ and walk around Dinkytown, then traverse across 15th, or Oak Street, or Church Street, or Walnut Street etc. and tell me that's not a true college atmosphere. Whomever is feeding you these lines are full of shit pardon my French. don't direct that towards you, but anyone claiming that's not a college atmosphere has no idea what they're talking about.

They have no problem in general fielding a competitive hockey team. The basketball team has had ups and downs but that has more to do with leadership. The women's BB coach that went to Maryland has the Gophers as a legit national team. Clem Haskins made them legit but yes obviously his program had issues. The football team is now becoming more and more competitive. The women's hockey team has more NTs than any other. I suspect you're getting these opinions from small town folks scared of the big bad city, not legit recruits or their families.

I'm basing that off of following recruiting for a number of years, and from a large number of people I know that have gone to the U. I'm not pulling it out of my ass. Hell, they talked about it on KFAN and in the Strib for years. I've been to a ton of games at the U, for basketball, football, volleyball, and hockey. I'm well aware of what campus is like. I had season tickets for Gopher women's basketball while one of my hometown girls was a star there. But, maybe all those sources and my experiences are wrong. :shrug:

Leadership is clearly the legitimate problem. Especially in basketball recruiting. Everything else is just opinion anyway.
Yeah I 100% question the "campus is too big" argument especially as someone that lived it. Maybe for small % of recruits but certainly not for the vast majority.

You realize that FB and BB players typically seek the big time and the spotlight right? And additionally players that have aspirations for the pros are not wallflowers – how could this campus supposedly be too big for them? This type of player is not looking for small town fortunes – they want the spotlight. So if the U campus is really as big as you say it is and the city is that prevalent what better place for them to go? There is zero logic behind this and I call bullshit. Whatever.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:21 pm

Yeah I 100% question the "campus is too big" argument especially as someone that lived it.

You realize that FB and BB players typically seek the big time and the spotlight right? And additionally players that have aspirations for the pros are not wallflowers – how could this campus supposedly be too big for them? This type of player is not looking for small town fortunes – they want the spotlight. So if the U campus is really as big as you say it is and the city is that prevalent what better place for them to go? There is zero logic behind this and I call bullshit. Whatever.
I never said it was too big. I'm only saying what has been discussed in media, and recruiting mags and sites. If they're wrong, they're wrong. I didn't write the reports. Oh, and I never said there was anything wrong with the campus, other than I thought it was over-hyped because of location. That's not an indictment on the campus itself.

Sorry I offended you and your precious campus. Funny you failed to mention any of my original post that was rooting for the U, and wanting them to land great recruits and that I think they can actually get to a consistently great level. Whatever.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:30 pm

Yeah I 100% question the "campus is too big" argument especially as someone that lived it.

I never said it was too big. I'm only saying what has been discussed in media, and recruiting mags and sites. If they're wrong, they're wrong. I didn't write the reports. Oh, and I never said there was anything wrong with the campus, other than I thought it was over-hyped because of location. That's not an indictment on the campus itself.

Sorry I offended you and your precious campus. Funny you failed to mention any of my original post that was rooting for the U, and wanting them to land great recruits and that I think they can actually get to a consistently great level. Whatever.
If it's not too big then what is the issue? You surely seemed to imply it being a problem. Do you read what you post?

And you didn't offend me and I don't care about supposed discussions that illogically claim the campus is too big and mighty for major recruits. I'd love to hear an actual quote from an actual recruit that said they chose elsewhere because the campus was too much for them. :lol:

As far as it being "over-hyped" ok lulz - every city and location in the country is hyped by those trying to promote it. That's not something unique to the U. Not sure why but you seem to get really snarly when challenged. Whatever indeed.
Last edited by Slap Shot on Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm

You didn't offend me and I don't care about supposed discussions that illogically claim the campus is too big and mighty for major recruits. I'd love to hear an actual quote from an actual recruit that said they chose elsewhere because the campus was too much for them. :lol:

As far as it being "over-hyped" ok lulz - every city and location in the country is hyped by those trying to promote it. That's not something unique to the U. Not sure why but you seem to get really snarly when challenged. Whatever indeed.
I honestly don't remember the last time I posted anything that didn't have you on some sort of defense/attack in your reply to me, no matter the subject. I mentioned some things I had seen written or discussed, and you go after me about it like I was the one that wrote them. I don't write for the Strib. I'm not on KFAN. I certainly don't right for recruiting services.

Again, I never said the campus was too much, or too big. Campus location is not the same as campus size. That was my point. If you want to read in to it differently, then I guess that's up to you.

Here are the EXACT words I said...yet somehow that means I'm the one making the claim that it's a problem...
But, one of the arguments that always seems to come up is that it's not a "college" town. Apparently that hurts recruiting, as well as having so many professional sports teams here, somehow knocks down getting some of those recruits that want to be the big name in town. I don't know if I agree with that, but I'm also not in the mindset of some of these recruits, obviously.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:44 pm

You didn't offend me and I don't care about supposed discussions that illogically claim the campus is too big and mighty for major recruits. I'd love to hear an actual quote from an actual recruit that said they chose elsewhere because the campus was too much for them. :lol:

I honestly don't remember the last time I posted anything that didn't have you on some sort of defense/attack in your reply to me, no matter the subject. I mentioned some things I had seen written or discussed, and you go after me about it like I was the one that wrote them. I don't write for the Strib. I'm not on KFAN. I certainly don't right for recruiting services.

Again, I never said the campus was too much, or too big. Campus location is not the same as campus size. That was my point. If you want to read in to it differently, then I guess that's up to you.

Here are the EXACT words I said...yet somehow that means I'm the one making the claim that it's a problem...
But, one of the arguments that always seems to come up is that it's not a "college" town. Apparently that hurts recruiting, as well as having so many professional sports teams here, somehow knocks down getting some of those recruits that want to be the big name in town. I don't know if I agree with that, but I'm also not in the mindset of some of these recruits, obviously.
These are your words:
I think the U campus is over-hyped in the fact that it's right in the middle of the city. Now, that is great for people looking for those opportunities post college. But, one of the arguments that always seems to come up is that it's not a "college" town. Apparently that hurts recruiting, as well as having so many professional sports teams here, somehow knocks down getting some of those recruits that want to be the big name in town.
First of all define "over-hyped". Who is over-hyping and who doesn't buy the supposed over-hype? For BB and FB looking for the big time which of them don't want it? Who have you personally known that has lived on campus would tell you it didn't feel like a college campus? (again taking note of the fact fact the a BB player destined for a first round pick doesn't give a crap). And are you seriously arguing having legit Pro talent in town to emulate, meet and draw experience from is a deterrent to players with their own pro aspirations? Good Lord. I don't care what you claim you heard on Barreiro, I've never once heard in all my hears someone shun the U because of the campus - I'[m way, way, way more connected than you are.

And seriously are you freaking kidding me trying to claim that I often go after you. On the main board I try to avoid politics as much as anyone and have a lot of fun.

Nothing gets said on a radio show or podcast without ending up out there for all to see – especially something as scandalous as what you claim. If local radio personalities were saying what you claim it would easily be out there. Even then I might call it as bullshit, but it would at least lend some credibility to your claim. Yeah - "The campus" is a detriment to recruiting.

Whatever - I like you here and enjoy your posts. I'm not sorry for challenging your unsubstantiated claims about recruits avoiding the U because of reasons, but I still hold you in high regard overall.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:54 pm
cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:44 pm

These are your words:
I think the U campus is over-hyped in the fact that it's right in the middle of the city. Now, that is great for people looking for those opportunities post college. But, one of the arguments that always seems to come up is that it's not a "college" town. Apparently that hurts recruiting, as well as having so many professional sports teams here, somehow knocks down getting some of those recruits that want to be the big name in town.
First of all define "over-hyped". Who is over-hyping and who doesn't buy the supposed over-hype? For BB and FB looking for the big time which of them don't want it? Who have you personally known that has lived on campus would tell you it didn't feel like a college campus? (again taking note of the fact fact the a BB player destined for a first round pick doesn't give a crap). And are you seriously arguing having legit Pro talent in town to emulate, meet and draw experience from is a deterrent to players with their own pro aspirations? Good Lord. I don't care what you claim you heard on Barreiro, I've never once heard in all my hears someone shun the U because of the campus - I'[m way, way, way more connected than you are.

And seriously are you freaking kidding me trying to claim that I often go after you. On the main board I try to avoid politics as much as anyone and have a lot of fun.

Nothing gets said on a radio show or podcast without ending up out there for all to see – especially something as scandalous as what you claim. If local radio personalities were saying what you claim it would easily be out there. Even then I might call it as bullshit, but it would at least lend some credibility to your claim. Yeah - "The campus" is a detriment to recruiting.

Whatever - I like you here and enjoy your posts. I'm not sorry for challenging your unsubstantiated claims about recruits avoiding the U because of reasons, but I still hold you in high regard overall.
Still ignoring the line where I said I didn’t know if I agreed with those claims, I see.

I think the campus location is over-hyped. Big fucking deal. I’m just a froob with an opinion, that shouldn’t mean Jack shit.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Gophers for sure did not lose any guys they preferred to St Thomas.. Ahjany Lee got outplayed badly by Payne over time. I think St Thomas got some good players though and I am rooting for them to succeed in their conference. Would be nice to have another option to follow locally here, and maybe make a tourney appearance instead of the Dakota teams.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Gophers for sure did not lose any guys they preferred to St Thomas.. Ahjany Lee got outplayed badly by Payne over time. I think St Thomas got some good players though and I am rooting for them to succeed in their conference. Would be nice to have another option to follow locally here, and maybe make a tourney appearance instead of the Dakota teams.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:28 pm

What's the deal with Dawson Garcia? Any chance he's a Gopher next year?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:16 pm

Yes
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:07 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:16 pm
Yes
Any chance on Kerwin too?
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Per Charley Walters:
It still looks like the Gophers could end up with 6-foot-11 Dawson Garcia, an incoming junior at North Carolina, if the former Prior Lake star enters the NCAA transfer portal to be closer to family.

Meanwhile, the Gophers are closing in on an impact point guard.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Bring 'em home!
Let's get Tropical