Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Any outdoor cyclers?

weimy froob

Re: Any outdoor cyclers?

Post by weimy froob »

my bike repair guy shut down his shop and won't be set up for more work for a couple of weeks. i told him that it might be a good time for a new wheel. he said it would be cheaper just to put all new spokes on. either/or but will have to wait for him to do it. i know a guy though. might be able to get a spoke on and then get the bike fixed right when the next one pops.

anyways, the real story was the call i made to a guy about a bike he's had for months with a for sale sign on it. i told him i'd give him 20 bucks for it if he oiled up the rusty chain. the sign said b/o. he told me that he wanted 200 bucks. lulz. 2o bucks was a good offer. i told him it was my b/o and wished him good luck. that bike will be there chained up for years until he decides to finally take the 20 bucks someone else offers him.

i was thinking about offering him only 10 or 15 bucks, but thought why haggle when i need a bike for a couple of weeks. lulz. his 200 buck response floored me.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Longest ride ever today, 85.76 miles. Mankato to Faribault and back. I knew as soon as I turned around in Faribault I was in for a world of hurt on the way back. The wind was blowing from the southwest and I had to go west all the way home. It was brutal. Stopped and collapsed in Waterville on way back, and again at about the 78 mile mark, and again at my steps. I was riding on fumes the last 28 miles or so. Never again.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

56 miles is the farthest i ever rode. did the mid 50s ride 4-5 times. i wouldn't even think of adding 30 more miles at this stage of my life. you're home now--and now you have a memory.

what were you thinking with the wind blowing pretty good today and you having to ride back into it on the way home?
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:40 pm 56 miles is the farthest i ever rode. did the mid 50s ride 4-5 times. i wouldn't even think of adding 30 more miles at this stage of my life. you're home now--and now you have a memory.

what were you thinking with the wind blowing pretty good today and you having to ride back into it on the way home?
I originally set out to do 100K, which is 62 miles and change. But I stopped to rest, saw how close to Faribault I was and thought I may as well since I may never be that close again. And I've been wanting to do Kato to Faribault for some time anyways, usually just made it to Waterville or Morriston and back instead.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i went for a bike ride on monday and today. monday it was cold--but the wind was down so it was a go. the ride was fine--but the chill set in about a half hour after i got home and i had to wrap a blanket around myself to get it out of the bones. took a couple hours.

today there was wind--but it was hot and humid. t-shirt weather on the bike. clocked myself going 13 mph against the wind--so there is that. also no blanket around me right now. :coolio:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

went for an hour plus ride this afternoon. nice. the trickiest thing about riding the bike in temps like this is getting it right with the clothes. don't want to under-dress when you go out or you'll be chilled later when you get home. but overdressing doesn't work either because you get too hot on the bike and sweat. hard to find the perfect mix and today it was a slight overdress. was sweating when i finished--but not too bad. looks like saturday could be another bike day if the winds are down too.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another ride today. got the clothing issue about as right as you can today. plenty of people putting up christmas lights. i guess so. not for me though.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

saw a biker today. roads not icy--so i guess it's still a thing. maybe a ride is in the cards tomorrow.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

saw another biker this morning on the roads. i guess--they're dry. there was no ride for me on the weekend. wasn't in the cards. :mrgreen:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the first bike ride of the year. a slight overdress--but it's hard to remember what you need to wear in 40 degrees with a 5-10 mile south/east/southeast breeze. i went with a long sleeved shirt, sweater, light zip up hooded sweatshirt and the light winter jacket. too much. if i left the sweater at home it would have been fine. also hat and mitts, of course. i should get it right next time, but better overdress than underdress. the ride itself was fine. trails and road were dry. should be able to ride again next week too.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:36 pm the first bike ride of the year. a slight overdress--but it's hard to remember what you need to wear in 40 degrees with a 5-10 mile south/east/southeast breeze. i went with a long sleeved shirt, sweater, light zip up hooded sweatshirt and the light winter jacket. too much. if i left the sweater at home it would have been fine. also hat and mitts, of course. i should get it right next time, but better overdress than underdress. the ride itself was fine. trails and road were dry. should be able to ride again next week too.
Your verbiage sounds an awful lot like what Kinkster would say...are you Kinskter Weimy?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:27 pm
weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:36 pm the first bike ride of the year. a slight overdress--but it's hard to remember what you need to wear in 40 degrees with a 5-10 mile south/east/southeast breeze. i went with a long sleeved shirt, sweater, light zip up hooded sweatshirt and the light winter jacket. too much. if i left the sweater at home it would have been fine. also hat and mitts, of course. i should get it right next time, but better overdress than underdress. the ride itself was fine. trails and road were dry. should be able to ride again next week too.
Your verbiage sounds an awful lot like what Kinkster would say...are you Kinskter Weimy?
nope.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:28 pm
Hornets wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:27 pm
nope.
That proves you're not. Kinkster would have said "savvy?" :lol:
JessieJim1

Post by JessieJim1 »

I've been cycling for 4 years and it's time to change the bike but I can't decide which one https://www.bikethesites.com/hybrid-vs-mountain-bike/. I ride in the woods more often.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

rode the bike on monday, tuesday and wednesday. yesterday for 113 minutes. if the wind is under 10 MPH and it's not raining i'll ride.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another 105 minute ride yesterday. the five dollar bike is doing it's job.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

TC_Robbie_81 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:35 am
weimy froob wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:17 am another 105 minute ride yesterday. the five dollar bike is doing it's job.
Good bargain for some exercise

I splurged on a pair of $100 running shoes but it after that it's all free

Just at the mercy of mother nature that you won't get soaked while far from home
lucked into this buy. walked by a garage sale and i was in need of a bike because mine had a broken spoke. it was a similar bike to the one that i had that i paid over 300 dollars for about 20 years ago. they just wanted to get rid of it. sold. :lol:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i went out early enough this morning before it heated up and there'd be any wind. 103 minutes and it sure was a nice ride.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it's warm--but not brutal good bike riding weather with the single digit wind. so that's what i did.
TCSports

Post by TCSports »

Anyone ever do RAGBRAI?
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I think I'm officially done for the year. Although I didn't get out as much as I have in years past, my average per ride jumped up quite a bit. Finally tally for 2023:

2166 Miles
68 rides
31.85 miles per ride.
3 night rides
1 gopher killed
1 bug on forehead that really, really stung for a bit.
1 set of tires
1 innertube
Hit by one vehicle
4 near misses
countless stop signs ran

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the biggest news on the bike front for me this year was that i added two bikes to the collection for two dollars. i got a vintage schwinn varsity 10 speed that is probably close to 50 years old and still in great condition for two bucks at a police bike auction this summer. i always wanted one of those as a kid and now i do. later i got an even better deal getting a free 21 speed bike for free. it rides even better than the schwinn and is the one i rode the most this fall.

i did get a ride in on thursday and if PH81 is right in his forecast there could be even a couple more rides in fall conditions later this month. we'll see.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

last ride of the year was on december 29. also got a ride in on december 27. might be a long time/if ever that happens again in minnesota for me with those perfect bike conditions.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

first bike ride of 2024 was today. it's documented now. i wore the choppers and that worked. as long as i'm riding a bike in these conditions it isn't winter. roads and trails dry and in as good a condition as you could hope for.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:02 pm first bike ride of 2024 was today. it's documented now. i wore the choppers and that worked. as long as i'm riding a bike in these conditions it isn't winter. roads and trails dry and in as good a condition as you could hope for.
Things are gonna change pretty soon Weimy so keep ridin while the ridin is good!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

got the first february ride in this morning. perfect conditions--but i did where the choppers to make sure the fingers stayed warm. they did. i only saw two other bikers out there. yesterday in colder/windier conditions i saw a half dozen bikers. when you have the itch you have to scratch it--but today is a much better day. i might go for an afternoon one too.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:33 am got the first february ride in this morning. perfect conditions--but i did where the choppers to make sure the fingers stayed warm. they did. i only saw two other bikers out there. yesterday in colder/windier conditions i saw a half dozen bikers. when you have the itch you have to scratch it--but today is a much better day. i might go for an afternoon one too.
Do you normally take a leisurely ride when you go Weimy or do you push it Lance Armstrong style??!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:59 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:33 am got the first february ride in this morning. perfect conditions--but i did where the choppers to make sure the fingers stayed warm. they did. i only saw two other bikers out there. yesterday in colder/windier conditions i saw a half dozen bikers. when you have the itch you have to scratch it--but today is a much better day. i might go for an afternoon one too.
Do you normally take a leisurely ride when you go Weimy or do you push it Lance Armstrong style??!
when i go past the radar it usually is reading 13 mph. sometimes 12. sometimes 14. that's usually a feature of the wind though. it's a consistent grind.
Voltron

Post by Voltron »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:08 pm
Hornets wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:59 pm
when i go past the radar it usually is reading 13 mph. sometimes 12. sometimes 14. that's usually a feature of the wind though. it's a consistent grind.
I think Munger usually goes 9-10 mph
FOR THE CULTURE!!!!
Spoiler:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

first ride in march. 39 degrees and less than a three mile an hour wind > 70 degrees and strong southerly winds. 91 plus minutes too. good ride. went by the radar sign and i was going 13 mph--so just a little under 20 miles.