Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Any outdoor cyclers?

Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Re: Any outdoor cyclers?

Post by Night Train »

I'm pretty sure I beat last years miles, I did over 500 in October alone. And that's because someone tipped me off that the local hospital was have some Biketober challenge with prizes. I entered it and wound up winning it. But I didn't see anything of how I did compared to other people. I kind of want to know if I blew them out of the water or if someone was somewhat close. Oh well.

I'm still on pace to bike in every month of the year, perfect day for it today and I'm sure I'll get one in in December.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I reached my goals for the year. I biked 4000 miles and have biked in every month of 2020.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:24 am I reached my goals for the year. I biked 4000 miles and have biked in every month of 2020.
another good day to put on december mileage numbers.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:51 am
Night Train wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:24 am I reached my goals for the year. I biked 4000 miles and have biked in every month of 2020.
The forecast is looking good too. I just have to watch the wind speeds, not so much for the windchill, but for the wind resistance. That's life on the plains.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:53 am
The forecast is looking good too. I just have to watch the wind speeds, not so much for the windchill, but for the wind resistance. That's life on the plains.
i always make a decision of if/where i'm going to ride on wind conditions and direction. for example if it's a south wind i'll go east/west that day. a question for you. i've been shut down because the bike i'm riding (my daughter's-but i bought it for her and she never rode it) had another spoke that busted. i never had a bike break a spoke in my life until this summer when it happened. then it happened again a few months later.

why in the hell is that happening? any idea? i didn't get it fixed because it cost 50 bucks the other time. now i'm thinking about trying to fix it myself in the spring because it looks like i've got something that could be a regular occurrence. both times the rear wheel. the first time i thought someone might have stepped on the tire because it was on it's side in the garage and the grandkid would go out there. the next time it was on the kickstand.

i read where this could be happening because the spokes are loose-but i'd have thought the guy that fixed it would have made sure they were all tight before he got done with the job.

kind of irritated because i could have been riding the bike in december too.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:02 am

i always make a decision of if/where i'm going to ride on wind conditions and direction. for example if it's a south wind i'll go east/west that day. a question for you. i've been shut down because the bike i'm riding (my daughter's-but i bought it for her and she never rode it) had another spoke that busted. i never had a bike break a spoke in my life until this summer when it happened. then it happened again a few months later.

why in the hell is that happening? any idea? i didn't get it fixed because it cost 50 bucks the other time. now i'm thinking about trying to fix it myself in the spring because it looks like i've got something that could be a regular occurrence. both times the rear wheel. the first time i thought someone might have stepped on the tire because it was on it's side in the garage and the grandkid would go out there. the next time it was on the kickstand.

i read where this could be happening because the spokes are loose-but i'd have thought the guy that fixed it would have made sure they were all tight before he got done with the job.

They do have spoke wrenches in shops you can get to tighten your spokes if you want, but I don't have one yet and wouldn't know how to change a spoke if I had to. I think they check all that stuff for me when I bring it in once a year for it's yearly maintenance. I do know it's important to 'true' the wheel too after changing spokes and I have no idea what that entails, so I leave it to the experts.

I did have some spoke terrorism my first year or two riding and I thought it was because I was a bigger dude and I was really banging the hell out of my tires going over curbs and all the other tiny jumps that riding in the city has to offer like potholes, driveway ledges, shitty sidewalks and paths... I usually noticed a broken spoke after hitting a bump so there is a correlation. I think I had 4 broken spokes in a short span once and said fuck it and got a stronger wheel and it's been fine ever since.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Official tally for 2020 was 4,250 miles and I biked in every month. Goals achieved. I don't think I'll ever break that record again.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

NEW BIKE DAY!!! Well, actually I got it Sept. 9th, but it's still new. It's a Trek Checkpoint ALR5, a good mid-range gravel bike. And I have to say I am absolutely fucking loving it. This is my first drop-down bar bike, took some getting used to but I adapted. It goes so much faster than my Verve and it handles the gravel roads down here like a champ. There isn't anyplace around her I can't go with this.

I passed the 3,000 mile mark for the year recently. Don't think I'll match last year's numbers but I could get close.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:48 am NEW BIKE DAY!!! Well, actually I got it Sept. 9th, but it's still new. It's a Trek Checkpoint ALR5, a good mid-range gravel bike. And I have to say I am absolutely fucking loving it. This is my first drop-down bar bike, took some getting used to but I adapted. It goes so much faster than my Verve and it handles the gravel roads down here like a champ. There isn't anyplace around her I can't go with this.

I passed the 3,000 mile mark for the year recently. Don't think I'll match last year's numbers but I could get close.
the seat doesn't look comfy. what seats are though, right? i busted the metal on my seat this summer and am waiting for my bike guy to let me know when my new one is in. i can still ride it--but it sags on the left side. there are two curly q metal pieces on it--so i think you know what i'm talking about.

spokes last year and that seat this year. never had either of those happen before. seat has to be ultra rare.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:57 am
Night Train wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:48 am NEW BIKE DAY!!! Well, actually I got it Sept. 9th, but it's still new. It's a Trek Checkpoint ALR5, a good mid-range gravel bike. And I have to say I am absolutely fucking loving it. This is my first drop-down bar bike, took some getting used to but I adapted. It goes so much faster than my Verve and it handles the gravel roads down here like a champ. There isn't anyplace around her I can't go with this.

the seat doesn't look comfy. what seats are though, right? i busted the metal on my seat this summer and am waiting for my bike guy to let me know when my new one is in. i can still ride it--but it sags on the left side. there are two curly q metal pieces on it--so i think you know what i'm talking about.

spokes last year and that seat this year. never had either of those happen before. seat has to be ultra rare.
I'm not having a problem with the seat, it was actually pretty nice the first few times I rode it without a pad or padded shorts. But I have a pad on it now and wear padded shorts so I barely notice it any more. Sometimes it's not the seat's fault, you kind of have to find the right height for it. I remember I did that a few years ago and it helped.

Crazy how much wait time there is in bike shops now. People are waiting months for bikes. I almost had to drive down to Ames Iowa just to look at a bike I might like.

Winston

Post by Winston »

The saddle looks fine. I have several bikes, but as I push 60, I'm more of a relaxed rider. Been doing a lot of tinkering with e-bikes as of late. I moved to the Gulf Coast so I can more easily ride all year round.

My Giant Roam 3. Took this pic right after purchasing and halfway through the 16-mile ride home.

A Chinese folding e-bike that I swapped out the front end and added a banana seat for more of a rat rod Sting Ray feel. Going for rides is my 3yo F Blue Heeler's most favorite thing to do.

I have more bikes than just these 2. :yes:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i still am riding my bike with the broken seat. probably just wait until spring to put a new one on. not sure what is up with the bike shop--but i've adapted.

went for a ride this afternoon and with a little bit of a north wind behind me i got up to 15 mph when i passed the speed machine on the road. if a vehicle isn't too close behind me it'll pick up my speed. that's the highest i ever saw it register. actually it was supposed to be mostly a west wind today so i really don't know how much wind-aided it was. but it was wind-aided.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:17 pm i still am riding my bike with the broken seat. probably just wait until spring to put a new one on. not sure what is up with the bike shop--but i've adapted.

went for a ride this afternoon and with a little bit of a north wind behind me i got up to 15 mph when i passed the speed machine on the road. if a vehicle isn't too close behind me it'll pick up my speed. that's the highest i ever saw it register. actually it was supposed to be mostly a west wind today so i really don't know how much wind-aided it was. but it was wind-aided.
Sounds like you'll have all winter to tackle that seat problem. Look up some videos, you might be able to do it yourself.

Cowtown has one of those radar boxes and they put it in some pretty nice spots for me. I got it up to 30 once while going down the biggest hill in town.

I did a little guestimate tally yesterday and I should pass the 4000 mile mark for the year today. I might get pretty close to last year's record of 4250 miles before the year is over.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a couple of bike rides this week already. perfect day on monday. a little windy today, but nowhere near the two club wind forecast in the today's weather thread. not yet anyways.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i've been biking all week. today might be the last ride for awhile--we'll see. if it is the last ride of 2021 it was a great one. wind down and properly dressed so i was warm the whole time--but not hot.
Fatass Vikings Fan

Post by Fatass Vikings Fan »

Some people ride their bikes in winter with those really thick tires. Looks miserable to me. An indoor exercise bike is better than that ridiculous shit.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

With today's snow, I doubt I'll be able to bike again at least for the rest of the year. So unofficially I think I did about 4500 miles this year. I've been really killing it since I got a new bike in September.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:38 am With today's snow, I doubt I'll be able to bike again at least for the rest of the year. So unofficially I think I did about 4500 miles this year. I've been really killing it since I got a new bike in September.
how many months were you able to ride this year? i got a ride in yesterday and i think that if the roads don't have too many puddles it's possible to get one or two more in next week. the temps will be warm enough. yesterday in the upper 30s and little wind felt nice--and i wasn't dressed like an eskimo either.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:01 am
Night Train wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:38 am With today's snow, I doubt I'll be able to bike again at least for the rest of the year. So unofficially I think I did about 4500 miles this year. I've been really killing it since I got a new bike in September.
how many months were you able to ride this year? i got a ride in yesterday and i think that if the roads don't have too many puddles it's possible to get one or two more in next week. the temps will be warm enough. yesterday in the upper 30s and little wind felt nice--and i wasn't dressed like an eskimo either.
I was able to ride in every month, I just had a 40 mile ride a few days ago. And yes, as long as the roads/paths are dry, temps are up or at least it's sunny, and the wind is down, I'll find the time to squeeze a ride in. I've got some good cold weather gear which isn't too bulky and keeps me plenty warm, almost too warm sometimes.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i went for a hundred minute ride this morning to try to stay away from the puddles and the wind. no puddles--but it was a good wind from the start. no big deal though--it actually cooled me off going into it because i was a little overdressed. i wore a light zip up sweatshirt under the jacket along with a couple other long sleeve shirts. too much.

they don't shovel all of the trails--but what they do made for good riding conditions. some of the neighborhood streets weren't down to the pavement--but it was still smooth without being slippery. and no puddles to spray water off of the back tire!

don't know if i'll get a ride in tomorrow--depends on when the rain comes in and how strong the wind is.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i got the ride in today. 90 plus minutes this morning. it was less windy--but there were more puddles to try and avoid. successful on the puddle front as there was no water spraying up from the tires.

i dressed more appropriately--just a sweatshirt and a hockey jersey and lighter gloves with a hat as well. might be the last ride for the year. might not.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i went for a 75 minute ride today and it was a good one. dressed appropriately so i never got cold. wore a ski mask with a hat on top of that, a combination of two sweatshirts, the hockey jersey and a fall type jacket and a pair of choppers. if the wind is down and the trails clean i know i can ride comfortably when the temps are in the upper teens. nice.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Official tally for 2021 was 4,450 miles, give or take a few. I had Shingles and gall bladder removal in April/May, and took a month off because of mechanical issues around August, but I made up for it right quick with the new bike. Maybe next year I'll break 5,000 miles.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

43.5 miles yesterday as I get my first ride of the year in. Sun was out, roads were dry, wind was down, and temps were in upper 30s.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:11 am 43.5 miles yesterday as I get my first ride of the year in. Sun was out, roads were dry, wind was down, and temps were in upper 30s.
it was a perfect day here to go for a ride if you had fenders on the bike. even if you didn't you could try to avoid the small puddles--but i don't think i would have been perfectly successful so i didn't i'm sure there would have been a rooster tail of water coming up a few times. i did call the bike repair people and left a message to give me a call. i still haven't gotten that new seat and now i want to put some fenders on the bike too.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Night Train wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:11 am 43.5 miles yesterday as I get my first ride of the year in. Sun was out, roads were dry, wind was down, and temps were in upper 30s.
Can't imagine cyclin for 43 miles...well done! Do you have a before/after stretching routine so that your quads don't explode??
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Hornets wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:12 pm
Can't imagine cyclin for 43 miles...well done! Do you have a before/after stretching routine so that your quads don't explode??
I don't stretch. I probably should, but don't.

I take breaks when I bike, so I'm not going these distances in one stretch. I'll go 15 miles, take a break, go another 15 or so, take another break.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i got a january ride in this week. rooster tails coming up from both tires though. talked to the bike shop guy and he's ordering me some fenders. now if he can get them. also said he can get the bike seat too--so i hope to be ready for february bike rides.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:26 am
weimy froob wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:02 am

They do have spoke wrenches in shops you can get to tighten your spokes if you want, but I don't have one yet and wouldn't know how to change a spoke if I had to. I think they check all that stuff for me when I bring it in once a year for it's yearly maintenance. I do know it's important to 'true' the wheel too after changing spokes and I have no idea what that entails, so I leave it to the experts.

I did have some spoke terrorism my first year or two riding and I thought it was because I was a bigger dude and I was really banging the hell out of my tires going over curbs and all the other tiny jumps that riding in the city has to offer like potholes, driveway ledges, shitty sidewalks and paths... I usually noticed a broken spoke after hitting a bump so there is a correlation. I think I had 4 broken spokes in a short span once and said fuck it and got a stronger wheel and it's been fine ever since.
i popped a spoke either yesterday or right away today. something felt off and i looked down at the back tire and could see that it was wobbling. figured it was the spoke--but kept riding. when i got home i took a look and saw the busted spoke immediately. i'll bring it in tomorrow and talk to the repairman about your solution. supply issues could be a concern too.