Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Any outdoor cyclers?

weimy froob

Re: Any outdoor cyclers?

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:39 am Looks like I might max out at 3,163 miles for this year. I doubt I'll get many more opportunites from now until the end of year.

in 2017 I did 1200 miles
2018 I did 2100 miles
2019 3000+
2020... 4000?

I doubt I'll get 4000 in next year, but maybe 3500 is attainable. Time will tell.
how'd you calculate that end total for 2019?
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:58 am
Night Train wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:39 am Looks like I might max out at 3,163 miles for this year. I doubt I'll get many more opportunites from now until the end of year.

in 2017 I did 1200 miles
2018 I did 2100 miles
2019 3000+
2020... 4000?

I doubt I'll get 4000 in next year, but maybe 3500 is attainable. Time will tell.
My Strava app keeps track for me. I may get a bike computer for next year
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:02 am

in 2017 I did 1200 miles
2018 I did 2100 miles
2019 3000+
2020... 4000?

but do you think you're done riding for the year-or are you guesstimating the miles you'll still be putting on?
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:07 am

but do you think you're done riding for the year-or are you guesstimating the miles you'll still be putting on?
I think I'm done for the year, if I get another ride in I might get over 3200, but if you add up the short rides I didn't track on Strava I'm probably there anyways.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Hector

Post by Hector »

Night Train wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:11 am
weimy froob wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:07 am

I think I'm done for the year, if I get another ride in I might get over 3200, but if you add up the short rides I didn't track on Strava I'm probably there anyways.
I'm done for the year and moving full time to my Nordic Trac stationary. I ended up putting on about 450 more miles on my road bike over the last couple months ( around 1260 for the year) and a few odd days and didn't ride the Paul Bunyan in total. I really hate pushing those goals off a year but it is what it is.

Awesome year of riding NT! 3200 miles...wowza!
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I spoke too soon about being done for the year. The past 3 weekends I was able to get a ride in due to the mild weather we've been having so now I'm officially over 3300 for the year, I went 40 miles yesterday. I think as long as there isn't any snow on the roads and the sun is out I could get a lot of winter riding in, especially now that I'm acquiring some cold weather biking gear.

Alexstaystrong

Post by Alexstaystrong »

Believe to me, it's nice to ride your bike, especially in parks and roads. I have a rule not to ride along a highway listening to music! Because in that case it may distract my attention. But if there is an empty road, so, why not? It's one of the most relax thing ever! You feel all this air, through your body, you feel absolute freedom and a feeling that your life is perfect.
Try it one day, Mirabelle!
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I went for my first ride of the new year yesterday and logged in 38 miles. The roads were nice and dry and the paths were all pretty well cleared, so it was enjoyable. My cold weather gear help up pretty good but I need to figure out how to keep the feet warmer. I also need to get some kind of fenders because holy shit did I kick up a lot of snow and get it caked onto the frame. I had to chip that shit off when I got home. All in all it was a nice ride and I was glad I could get one in before January ended.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Woo-wee, a 90 mile weekend! Not bad for the last weekend of February. Logged 49 on Sat, 41 on Sun... all on my mountain bike, which is a little heavier to ride than my hybrid but goddam is it a tank. Going around the lakes sucks because only one path is plowed and people are unaware as shit. I'm a 250 pound man on a tank of a bike bearing down on you... What do you do? Do you make a choice and move to one side or do you spaz out like a squirrel and freeze? Geez, have some awareness people, pick a line. But that was Saturday, I avoided that shit yesterday and just went downtown, then down to Minnehaha falls along the river. The falls look nice all frozen and shit, surprised to see people out walking on it. But it was all good, except my bikes acts up from time to time getting all clunky and jerky, then it behaves for a bit more. Maybe something messes up when it gets wet, but I won't have to worry about it soon, as soon as Spring comes the hybrid comes out and I really start logging on miles.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:21 am Woo-wee, a 90 mile weekend! Not bad for the last weekend of February. Logged 49 on Sat, 41 on Sun... all on my mountain bike, which is a little heavier to ride than my hybrid but goddam is it a tank. Going around the lakes sucks because only one path is plowed and people are unaware as shit. I'm a 250 pound man on a tank of a bike bearing down on you... What do you do? Do you make a choice and move to one side or do you spaz out like a squirrel and freeze? Geez, have some awareness people, pick a line. But that was Saturday, I avoided that shit yesterday and just went downtown, then down to Minnehaha falls along the river. The falls look nice all frozen and shit, surprised to see people out walking on it. But it was all good, except my bikes acts up from time to time getting all clunky and jerky, then it behaves for a bit more. Maybe something messes up when it gets wet, but I won't have to worry about it soon, as soon as Spring comes the hybrid comes out and I really start logging on miles.
that's a lot of miles for sure. you might be carrying extra weight but i bet your heart is in good shape. legs too.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

late March and early April can be very muddy for trail riding so I usually wait until it dries a bit. We are heading toward decent weather though.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I passed 500 miles for the year yesterday with a casual 41 mile trek to downtown and to Minnehaha to see what the world looks like on a Friday before a soft statewide lockdown. You wouldn't know anything was off, but it did feel like a Sunday instead of a Friday afternoon.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

A 3 flat day yesterday on the first day of Coronacation and it prevented me from getting my first 50 miler of the year in, had to stop at 45. :(

I've had some slow leak terrorism the past few weeks. So I got some new tubes at the bike shop, and I walk in and they ask if I need anything in particular, I say new tubes, 700 x 25-35, something in that range. Well guy gives me 700 x 20-28. I think nothing of it, 28 is over 25, it should work.

So I'm coming back from riding to TCF bank stadium and I notice my tire getting flatter and by the time I got to stone arch it was apparent I needed to change the tube. So I get to the park, take my tire off, find a metal wire piece in the tire, break out the new tube and realize how thin it is compared to my other one. Oh well, bike shop guy knows what he's doing. I put skinny tube in a widish tire and rolled the dice and took the chances. I pumped it up pretty good and it felt good, but I wonder if I over-pumped it because I didn't get more than a mile before it blew out. I took the tube out and you could see the blow out. So I had to do some repair work on the old tube, which is a hassle out in the field. Had to inflate it, find the leak and patch it up. I found a leak, but I must've had two because I patched it, put it in, and didn't get more than two miles and it was leaking again. Fucking sucked, had to walk to Pyres and call an uber home from there.

I'll get that 50 mile day yet, one of these days.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I went on two rides this past week on first week of coronacation, 93 miles.

This is starting to happen:

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I've passed 1000 miles for the year so far and have biked in every month. And I've discovered new (to me) trails and paths, which is the exciting part of biking, discovering new places to go. For example, I didn't know there was a bus road behind TCF stadium that goes directly to the fairgrounds. It's for buses and bikes only, and with school shut down it's wide open now. I can't believe I did so much residential riding to get to the fair last year when I could've just taken that. Also, there's a trail behind the sculpture garden that goes directly over to the lakes, or further west all the way down to Hopkins if you want. I think that was the Cedar trail.

1000 in four months, with most of that winter? Maybe I will hit 4000 this year. That would be nuts.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i biked around town for 90 minutes today checking out old neighborhoods and new ones. remembering the good old days along with noticing all the growth. it's totally different situation than it was 40 years ago. circled a trail that was farmland when i was growing up.

it was nice except for the fact that the seat gets very uncomfortable at the end.
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

What kind of bike do you guys ride? Left my garage open a couple years ago and it got stolen. Did a Nice Ride membership last year. The bikes are convenient but I hate the ride. The electric bikes were great but who knows with what is going on. Thinking about getting a Civia, which is locally made.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Cripes wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:17 pm What kind of bike do you guys ride? Left my garage open a couple years ago and it got stolen. Did a Nice Ride membership last year. The bikes are convenient but I hate the ride. The electric bikes were great but who knows with what is going on. Thinking about getting a Civia, which is locally made.
I have a Trek Verve 3 which I think is great for city riding as it's on mostly paved trails or roads, but can handle gravel too. My other bike is a Trek Xcaliber 8 mountain bike which I use for winter rides and one trip out to Montana last year. I don't like that one as much but have it around.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm using a seven speed bike i bought for my daughter and she never used. i spent over 300 bucks for it and it has less than 1000 miles on it even though i bought it about 10 years ago. it has slow leaks in the tires-but i put air in them and am up and peddling. the seat is a pain though. it's padded well enough so i guess you just have to grin and bear it if you want to peddle for over an hour.

i'd have to check to see what the name is. it looks like you're typical trek all-purpose bike except it only has seven speeds instead of 21.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Sadly I think I only went on 3 rides during the whole month of May. Had some family issues come up, but hoping to get back at it now that June is here.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:40 pm Sadly I think I only went on 3 rides during the whole month of May. Had some family issues come up, but hoping to get back at it now that June is here.
a good day to put up a good number of miles for you today. 50 plus?
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:48 am
Night Train wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:40 pm Sadly I think I only went on 3 rides during the whole month of May. Had some family issues come up, but hoping to get back at it now that June is here.
a good day to put up a good number of miles for you today. 50 plus?
I did 30 after work yesterday, would've done more if I didn't stop at my brother's place. If I stick with original plan, I have a 40 mile route I can do today. From New Hope to Coon Rapids Dam then west to Elm Creek Park and back is 40, and once I get to Elm Creek I can add miles if I feel like it.

Edit: I almost hit 50, got in 47. Once I hit Elm Creek I decided to do a short loop around Mud lake. Had to stop at every map to make sure I was going the right way.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I'm getting ready for my annual trip out to MT for some biking next week. Itinerary looks like this:

Saturday driving from here to Dickinson ND, then Sunday from Dickinson to Bozeman area and should get there in time to hit a trail Sunday night for about 11 miles of some terrain.

Monday going to Butte to bike a trail I damn near died on last year, then staying with a cousin in Butte that night. Tuesday back to Bozeman to bike some old fire road trail. It's 3000 feet of elevation over 12 miles, but the 12 miles on the way down should be fun as hell.

Wednesday we'll find something I'm sure, then Thursday it's back to Dickinson and I'll bike Maah Daah Hey trail on Friday, maybe 25 miles, then the Theodore Roosevelt National Park loop which is 38 miles or so, but the last 8 of that is all down hill and that was awesome last year, especially since they had it closed off to traffic. The whole road was mine.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

In Montana today. Going to go ride the Homestake trail near Butte. I have bear spray, they've seen some around this year.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Rode Homestake trail yesterday, about 10 miles of it. It was fine, nice trails, well groomed. Then biked another 23 around Butte while I waited for my cousin to get off work then stayed there last night.

This morning I tried to tackle Johnson Pass trail near Bozeman and I just wasn't feeling it. Was a tough climb, two rocky, and I bit the dust twice. The second time pretty hard. So riding up some more I had blood running down my leg and said fuck it, let's go back. So we went back and my cousin took me tubing down the Jefferson River. Good times, I needed that relaxation before we hit a big 3300 foot climb tomorrow. It'll be 12 miles up... but the 12 miles coming back should be pretty fun.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Biked Sourdough Canyon Trail near Bozeman today. A nice 3,000+ foot climb and then a loop around the top. 30 miles. It was tough climbing up, but the descent was good fun. But I'm finding I really do like pavement over off-road biking. Even during the descent there were patches of chunky rocks and all that shit. By the end of the ride I felt like I was working a jackhammer all day.

Off to eastern Montana tomorrow to stay with another cousin, then to Medora to do Maah Daah Hey and the TRNP loop.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Arrived in Dickinson earlier than I thought today, so I think I might bike the north part of TRNP this afternoon. Then 20-25 miles on Maah Daah Hey tomorrow morning, then the southern part of TRNP on Sunday. Can't wait to get back home so I can finally get some rest.

Edit: Not doing the north TRNP, too far to drive to do it. Will just go around Dickinson to warm up for the next two days instead.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I did 25 miles on the Maah Daah Hey trail yesterday and I think I came to the conclusion I prefer riding on paved roads over off-road. Don't get me wrong, it's fun... but there are sketchy parts out there. Cruising down the rolling meadows almost make it worth it. And it was so nice to stop, look around, and listen to complete silence.

But back to preferring paved roads over MTB trails. With paved roads you don't have to worry about random rocks or tree stumps catching a pedal or kicking a tire, and you're able to see far ahead of you instead of reaching blind corners and tricky switchbacks. I literally almost rode down a cliff yesterday. And climbing, climbs on roads are usually steady and not the quick burst up-and-down on trails. I guess I prefer far and fast over the stop and go of MTB riding.

Today it's all road as I do the TRNP loop. They say part of the loop is closed off, but they said that last year too and I rode the last 8 miles of the loop without a car in sight, and that was all downhill. That was so much fun, hopefully I can bypass the barriers again and give it a go. It's the last day of riding before I head back to the cities and face reality of being recently unemployed.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

my daughter was in the garage on friday doing who knows what-but when i went to go for a ride yesterday i saw that the handle bars were turned around when i pulled it out. then i got on the bike and the back tire was wobbling. broken spoke. she must have knocked over the bike and somehow the spoke snapped.

anyways, i called the bike repair man and it'll be 40 bucks for that repair. reasonable price to keep on biking.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Whew, 50 miles in TRNP today. 25 miles to where the road ends, then back. There were some killer climbs there, but people were giving me the thumbs up so that was nice. At the top some lady was really impressed... her husband wasn't as much.

I pretty much decided today that I'll get rid of my mountain bike, I'm done with it. I'd prefer a nice gravel bike/road bike combo that's better than the combo bike I have now that I use all the time.

Oh, and today's ride put me over 2500 miles for the year. I pretty much took the month of May off.