Re: Career change froobs

Post by Sellingguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:34 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 am
LwnmwrMan222 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:56 pm
Je9 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:37 pm
One thing I have always noticed in my field is the CONSTANT bashing of colleagues/. It’s been relentless. It really bothers me and has affected me from day 1 (in a bad way)
That's the opposite in my industry. Through FB there are multiple companies that work with each other, for each other, under each other. We all know there is more work out there than we can all handle, and work to make our industry more profitable for all.

I'm just tired of the administration side of it all. I enjoy just sitting on a lawn mower for hours on end with the headphones in and no care in the world.
I can't imagine it would cost you that much to hire someone to do that part of the business. Even a PT freelancer. Yes you will lose a bit of your margin, but it sounds like you really dislike it so taking that off your plate might give you some additional peace of mind. With that you may feel more rejuvenated, less stressed, have some more free time. On top of that you may feel inspired and have the time to brainstorm now how could expand the business. Of if you do come to realize your hearts not it in it gameplan for what your next big step in life will be.

Is this a business you could sell off? If not could you hand off majority control while retaining x% and then pursue something else?
every small business is the same way. and they struggle to find a part time person to do it.
I just chatted with another service industry guy and he is looking for the same thing...so he can do more work.
I pointed out he just told me he is working 12 hours a day and not getting the admin stuff done very well, so where does he think a person doing it will allow him more time to work more.
IF they understand that, then they spend a ton of time training said person to do just like they WOULD do it if they had time.
Mean cycle.

thinktank

Post by thinktank » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:49 am

I guess I haven’t really changed careers.

Was a grounds crew foreman of a golf course after college but that wasn’t my career.

Worked in every role at two lumber yards, from truck driver to load builder on a fork to assistant operations manager (read: dispatcher). Also not my career.

I was finishing up a masters degree in HR during these times.

I earned a six sigma black belt and have been a consultant ever since—first with a top U.S. financial firm, and now a non-profit in the healthcare sector.

I’m in my dream job and I hope every day that nothing changes. Of course it will, and to where I’ll go is anybody’s guess.

Enjoy it while it lasts. 👍
Froobchat = Lots of conservative nutjobs living in the exburbs + some regular folks

nigel

Post by nigel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:19 am

Vulcan Vidiot wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:14 pm
I was a high school counselor for 8 years and hated it from day 1. My job turned out to be WAY different than I thought it would. I ended up writing hundred of letters of recommendation for students that didn't have academic skills. I coordinating state testing for kids at a school that had 65% ESL students. I listened to kids bitch about teachers everyday. I listened to teacher bitch about kids everyday. I listened to parents bitch about everything everyday. The counselors got shit on by the administration while getting zero respect from the teaching staff.

It was basically 8 years of negativity in a job I thought would be based around positivity.

Scariest part of leaving was ditching a degree I had spent a lot of time and money on.

I was very lucky to have an opportunity open up so I could quit. My mother-in-law had a business for 49 years and wanted my wife and I to take it over. I took a job as a food and beverage manager at a golf course for a few gap years before taking the business over, and continued to bartend for fun a couple times a month.

Next week I'm going to start "Sanding and Seeding" job at the golf course. I will fill in divots with a sand and seed mixture two or three days a week. I get to be outside, headphones in, and sweat.

I cannot tell you the difference, mentally, that the change has made. I was a wreck when I worked in a school. I aged 20 years in 8. I look younger now than when I quit 6 years ago.

Live and learn. Learn what makes you happy. Live that life the best you can. Repeat. Life is WAY too short to do something that makes you miserable 80% of your life so you can have money and fun the other 20%.
Golf course jobs are some of the best you’ll ever have.

TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:32 am

I'm in the process of moving from Corporate Financial Planning to Sales Operations.

It's not easy to shift your focus, and sucks to not know as much about the topic, but I enjoy learning, so it's extremely exciting!
Spoiler:

Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:41 am

Sally 2.0 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:32 am
I'm in the process of moving from Corporate Financial Planning to Sales Operations.

It's not easy to shift your focus, and sucks to not know as much about the topic, but I enjoy learning, so it's extremely exciting!
Everybody needs to switch it up from time to time. Good luck!
“Regardless, Trump has been an outstanding President by all objective measures.” mlhouse

anthony

Post by anthony » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:55 am

Sally 2.0 wrote:

I could never go into sales. I'm not a people person and it seems like a field that is pretty cutthroat. We go through so many sales guys It's hard to keep track of who's coming and who's going.

TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 am

anthony wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:55 am
Sally 2.0 wrote:

I could never go into sales. I'm not a people person and it seems like a field that is pretty cutthroat. We go through so many sales guys It's hard to keep track of who's coming and who's going.
Ha, yeah... while that's true, I'm not selling anything. I'm taking over the sales process, data, reporting, and applications.
Spoiler:

TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 am

Bob Wiley wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:41 am
Sally 2.0 wrote:

Everybody needs to switch it up from time to time. Good luck!
Thanks Brother :beer:
Spoiler:

milquetoast

Post by milquetoast » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:08 am

Lesueurcountyguy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:23 pm
I have always worked in the same industry and do not see a reason to change. Went for a 2 year degree in boat engine repair. Graduated in 99 and pulled wrenches for 5 years at a couple places. The last 15 I have been a service manager at the same dealer. Ownership of the dealer has changed hands but I enjoy my job most of the time.
Lots of people in So Minn seem to be switching to Boat Doctor in Monty. Your thoughts?
Spoiler:
Feel free to PM me if you'd like to keep it off the main site
When fact is fiction and TV reality

Je9
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Je9 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:01 am

Another day at work, froobas :(

64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:19 am

I lost 3k last night lol. I keep running like this I might need a job
Codeine Cobain

D_B_U

Post by D_B_U » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Now is a fairly decent time to make a career shift just because of how tight the market is. Companies are more willing to take chances on people who might not have the specific skills they are targeting if the person has other transferable skills.

IT is a great area to get into. If you have a mathematical type brain, there are plenty of Development boot camps that are an awesome place to get some good skills and after that first job, you can easily make 70K+(depending on the technology).

While it can be scary, now is the time to dive in.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Journalism to Sales to IT.

Journalism didn't really go anywhere. Had a dream job of working in pro sports, PR spots but basically you had to have an unpaid internship. Journalism gigs then.. not enough money and had to stay in small towns.
Sales went OK but things were too unpredictable for me in my early 20s so I didn't think it was longterm.
IT has been great. Turns out people appreciate IT professionals with a customer service background.
I've looked into law enforcement programs a couple times over the years but the last time was 2-3 years ago. Had been with the same company almost 8 years and was looking for a change. Happy now.
thinktank wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am
I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.

RC3

Post by RC3 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Thinking about becoming a dj.
R.I.P. SCOOTER

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:39 pm

nigel wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:19 am
Vulcan Vidiot wrote:
I was a high school counselor for 8 years and hated it from day 1. My job turned out to be WAY different than I thought it would. I ended up writing hundred of letters of recommendation for students that didn't have academic skills. I coordinating state testing for kids at a school that had 65% ESL students. I listened to kids bitch about teachers everyday. I listened to teacher bitch about kids everyday. I listened to parents bitch about everything everyday. The counselors got shit on by the administration while getting zero respect from the teaching staff.

It was basically 8 years of negativity in a job I thought would be based around positivity.

Scariest part of leaving was ditching a degree I had spent a lot of time and money on.

I was very lucky to have an opportunity open up so I could quit. My mother-in-law had a business for 49 years and wanted my wife and I to take it over. I took a job as a food and beverage manager at a golf course for a few gap years before taking the business over, and continued to bartend for fun a couple times a month.

Next week I'm going to start "Sanding and Seeding" job at the golf course. I will fill in divots with a sand and seed mixture two or three days a week. I get to be outside, headphones in, and sweat.

I cannot tell you the difference, mentally, that the change has made. I was a wreck when I worked in a school. I aged 20 years in 8. I look younger now than when I quit 6 years ago.

Live and learn. Learn what makes you happy. Live that life the best you can. Repeat. Life is WAY too short to do something that makes you miserable 80% of your life so you can have money and fun the other 20%.
Golf course jobs are some of the best you’ll ever have.
Friend's Dad was fairly high up at Best Buy and got offered a gig to run golf course he was a member at when one of his best friends bought the course. Dream job for anyone I think.
thinktank wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am
I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.

The Roofer

Post by The Roofer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Sarge wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 am
Never had to do it. Diesel mechanic for 34 years now. New technology introduced for every new make and model keeps my interest.

Allllmost made a switch to the industrial electrician field years back, but didn't want to start at the bottom as a newb and sit through schooling even though it would have been paid for. Interesting and challenging field though.
Diesel mechanic u say? What’s your take on the new tier 4 engines? Also, I have a 19 Ford diesel, gets good mileage, how much is the emissions holding back on mileage ? Seems when’s it’s not cleaning, I get fantastic mpg. Btw, had an 02, 08,12,15,17,19 diesel, all fords.

Je9

Post by Je9 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:30 pm

RC3 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:38 pm
You want to be a pro bj?

feekdogg

Post by feekdogg » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:48 pm

RC3 wrote:
Rockin' 101?

SHAFA

Post by SHAFA » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:03 pm

I made a change at 30, then again at 33. Though, at 33 it was a move from corporate to independent work rather than wholesale career change. Still a bit scary if you don't manage your money well, but I'm happier than ever. The best part of it all is that I managed to pull it all off without a degree.

nigel

Post by nigel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 pm

64DegreeWedge wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:19 am
I lost 3k last night lol. I keep running like this I might need a job
What are your annual returns since inception?

nigel

Post by nigel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:19 pm

RC3 wrote:
Hey, look at Rony Seikaly

Lesueurcountyguy

Post by Lesueurcountyguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm

The Roofer wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm
Sarge wrote:
Never had to do it. Diesel mechanic for 34 years now. New technology introduced for every new make and model keeps my interest.

Allllmost made a switch to the industrial electrician field years back, but didn't want to start at the bottom as a newb and sit through schooling even though it would have been paid for. Interesting and challenging field though.
Diesel mechanic u say? What’s your take on the new tier 4 engines? Also, I have a 19 Ford diesel, gets good mileage, how much is the emissions holding back on mileage ? Seems when’s it’s not cleaning, I get fantastic mpg. Btw, had an 02, 08,12,15,17,19 diesel, all fords.
Fellow Ford diesel guy. 99,02,05,07,15. When the 6.7 regens the mileage goes to hell.

The Roofer

Post by The Roofer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:31 pm

Yes, the 6.4 I had, that was the worst, that was the 08. I trade every 2 years, I know there is a delete and won’t do that as I trade into a dealer, but, without the emissions, what would I get going down the hiway, not pulling. I’d think upper 20s...

Hornets

Post by Hornets » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Vulcan Vidiot wrote:

I enjoyed this story. Well put and well said.

Lesueurcountyguy

Post by Lesueurcountyguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Yes I’m sure in the 20’s. All of my non emissions trucks were chipped back in the day and tuned on the 6.0’s but the 6.7 I am not interested in deletes and tunes. It pulls awesome stock minus the lousy mileage.

The Roofer

Post by The Roofer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Lesueurcountyguy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm
Yes I’m sure in the 20’s. All of my non emissions trucks were chipped back in the day and tuned on the 6.0’s but the 6.7 I am not interested in deletes and tunes. It pulls awesome stock minus the lousy mileage.
My brother has a gas 18 ford 1 ton, mines pulls better uphill with a loaded trailer than his does downhill with nothing. I went 200 miles to look at a job today , no hurry, I averaged 22.

Hornets

Post by Hornets » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:51 pm

Some fun stories here! I will soon be selling my business and looking for a fun opportunity or two. Don't need to make much, just want to find something that is unique and different.....like me!

Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:05 pm

Hornets wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm
Vulcan Vidiot wrote:

I enjoyed this story. Well put and well said.
I appreciate the words.

Sarge

Post by Sarge » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:18 am

The Roofer wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm
Sarge wrote:

From a clean air standpoint, it works (when it works). From a reliability standpoint, I'd never own one. Bad for owners, great for technicians and the parts people ($).

Tier 4 is not good for engine longevity and reliability. We have (3) 2004 International Eagles with Cummins ISX engines that have well over 1 million miles on them with the usual 6 pack of injector replacements, a turbo here and there, but no rebuilds. They just have EGR on them for emmisions. We have 87 Tier4 equipped Volvo's and Freightliners and most of them have already had in frame rebuilds due to excessive blow by, many turbos, many air compressors, many many injectors, and countless hours of shop time due to emission related problems.

Back when they mandated EGR in the mid to late 90's that's when the troubles started. Diverting exhaust back into the intake is basically feeding a horse it's own turds. Not gonna last long when you're eating your own turds.

EGR brought down the particulate matter (soot) in the butthole of the exhaust, but they had to make it cleaner. So they started putting a giant filter (DPF) downstream in the exhaust to catch those matters of particulate. Except they'd clog up easily. So, they decided to increase exhaust temps to "burn" that soot into ash to clear it out, but the ash remains, which requires the filter to be cleaned or replaced ($$!) How'd they do that you may ask? Well, they stuck another fuel injector into the exhaust to spray diesel right into the exhaust flow. So much for saving fuel huh. Then they decided they still need to reduce NOx coming out of the tailpipe (Tier 4), so they came up with system to inject a mix of water and ammonia (urea) to chemically change what's coming out of the exhaust.

Now...all these sub-systems of EGR, DPF, and SCR all have they're own cornucopia of pressure sensors, temp sensors, wiring, and separate computers. And lots of little orifices eagerly awaiting to be plugged up with soot and crystalized DEF. Oh, and the DEF has to be heated as it freezes below 12 degrees.

So basically, the bare bones diesel engine in your trucks are great, reliable, torque-y and will give you miles and miles of no hassle. 20 mpg easily if they weren't bridled with the emissions.

But now, at least we can idle a Detroit Diesel in the shop for 5 minutes without needing to open up the bay doors!
All flavors, and push-ups too

LordNu

Post by LordNu » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:34 am

Fuck me, how many other lawyers are on this damn board?

Trying to get a gig in Hong Kong or Singapore atm.