Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What Year Did you Become a Timberwolves Fan?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Joboo

Re: What Year Did you Become a Timberwolves Fan?

Post by Joboo »

Like a lot of you day one... if only I knew how to quit it's like we enjoy the pain
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Seems like I was the last one to the party.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

I'm thinking 2020 might be the year.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

:lol:
Lightning wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:27 pm I'm thinking 2020 might be the year.
:lol: :love:
My heart is family.
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

YBBR wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:17 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:12 pm
LordNu wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:51 pm02-03
I've always been curious, how did a guy from Australia wind up being a Wolves fan?
KG baby!
Not Shane Heal?
-

Got Root?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Dr. Linux wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:45 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:12 pm

I've always been curious, how did a guy from Australia wind up being a Wolves fan?
KG baby!
Not Shane Heal?
Racism!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

from the beginning-metrodome in play. on a related front i just picked up a slightly used t-wolf hat with an adidas word and logo on the left side, the word wolves on the back and a t-wolf howling on the front. blue. i like.
Spoiler:
:coolio:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Do you have an insider at Taylor's doctors? (I mean mortuary)
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Where is that Glen Taylor image you made back in the day?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:20 pm
I'll put it here (don't want to inadvertently cause any seizures)
Spoiler:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Lightning wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:24 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:20 pm
I'll put it here (don't want to inadvertently cause any seizures)
Spoiler:
:lol:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Never. I'm still protesting that the superior "Polars" nickname wasn't chosen.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hard to say. I was born in 85, so too young to remember the first few seasons, but have some vague memories of guys like Ty Corbin, Doug West, Luck Longley, Pooh, etc...

But I have very vivid memories of the process leading to the KG draft, and everything since then.

It's like seeing in black and white, then KG comes along and makes you see in color.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:16 pm Never. I'm still protesting that the superior "Polars" nickname wasn't chosen.
I love that you can still see the entries on the Wolves website. Honestly, there aren't any great "professional" names on the list. There are a lot of great semi-pro options, though.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:06 am from the beginning-metrodome in play. on a related front i just picked up a slightly used t-wolf hat with an adidas word and logo on the left side, the word wolves on the back and a t-wolf howling on the front. blue. i like.
Spoiler:
Me too. Was that 1986?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Bob Wiley wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:52 am
weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:06 am from the beginning-metrodome in play. on a related front i just picked up a slightly used t-wolf hat with an adidas word and logo on the left side, the word wolves on the back and a t-wolf howling on the front. blue. i like.
Spoiler:
Me too. Was that 1986?
nope. 1989. big crowds for those first games.
salamander

Post by salamander »

96-97 season. KG and Marbury.

That was the hey day of the hype train.
This was a pretty fun sports year for me in general.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:44 pm I was at the inaugural draft party.

Here is a more appropriate question: when did you stop being a Timberwolves fan?

My answer, 2019 trade deadline. The WOlves had plenty of reasonably valuable pieces to dump at the deadline, even if it was for a minimal asset haul. Taj Gibson, Derrick Rose, Anthony Tolliver were all guys on expiring contracts I think the team could have received at least 2nd round picks for. They did nothing. Just sat there like this organization is just fine and dandy.

I will check in on them from time to time. I will follow their draft picks and moves. I might even comment on them from time to time. I might even go to an occarional game. They even might get me to jump on the bandstand a time or two, only to inevitably disappoint.

But, just like I dropped the NHL and in process of dumping MLB, I will with the WOlves too.
I was there too! I remember Rick Mahorn showing up, waving to the crowd with his giant hand, seemingly excited to be there. Then refusing to ever play for the team.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:35 pm

Here is a more appropriate question: when did you stop being a Timberwolves fan?

My answer, 2019 trade deadline. The WOlves had plenty of reasonably valuable pieces to dump at the deadline, even if it was for a minimal asset haul. Taj Gibson, Derrick Rose, Anthony Tolliver were all guys on expiring contracts I think the team could have received at least 2nd round picks for. They did nothing. Just sat there like this organization is just fine and dandy.

I will check in on them from time to time. I will follow their draft picks and moves. I might even comment on them from time to time. I might even go to an occarional game. They even might get me to jump on the bandstand a time or two, only to inevitably disappoint.

But, just like I dropped the NHL and in process of dumping MLB, I will with the WOlves too.
I was there too! I remember Rick Mahorn showing up, waving to the crowd with his giant hand, seemingly excited to be there. Then refusing to ever play for the team.
Well we got a first and 2 seconds for him. Of course that was Gerald Glass and two other no-names.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

mlhouse wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:37 pm
Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:35 pm

Well we got a first and 2 seconds for him. Of course that was Gerald Glass and two other no-names.
Well yeah, there's that :lol:
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

memyworld wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:27 pm
feekdogg wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:16 pm Never. I'm still protesting that the superior "Polars" nickname wasn't chosen.
I love that you can still see the entries on the Wolves website. Honestly, there aren't any great "professional" names on the list. There are a lot of great semi-pro options, though.
Dingoes :thinking:

Still can't believe they didn't go with Ponies.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I am still looking at some of these names. Taxmen? LOL!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

LordNu wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:47 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:22 pm

KG baby!
:beer:
Pretty much :beer:

Played as the Wolves in NBA Hangtime because of the colours and the Wolf was cool, but I really became a fan after playing fantasy sports BBall with some friends and KG dominating. I started following him in games and essentially the Wolves in 02-03, and never looked back.
I have always been curious of this too.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

In the end, I might not have become a fan but when they named Muss the head coach then I decided it was worth looking into. It was fun going to the games at the Metrodome. Terrible basketball venue but always a lot of fans. I was in graduate school at the time and didnt have a lot of money but if you went to the game after it started they would let you in for free.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

1988 or so. As soon as they announced two more teams were going to round it up to 30 teams.
It was exciting times, but looking back, the Dome was the worse place to see a basketball game.