Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Better off without Mauer?

A place to discuss the MN Twins
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Better off without Mauer?

Post by vikesbumeout »

Hey why not.

He did have great stats.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Tony Bongwater

Re: Better off without Mauer?

Post by Tony Bongwater »

I think so. He wasnt a good leader. He never carried the offense. He was good behind the plate, but not like otherworldly great. I think the team now is a more cohesive unit. Everybody on the same page. I hate to say it, but I never felt like Mauer was a winner. He was very good, but there was just something missing. That intangible it factor that drives people to succeed by any means necessary just wasnt there, and as the team leader it trickled down.
Slava Ukrijina πŸ’™πŸ’›πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ’™πŸ’›
D_H

Post by D_H »

No doubt

you can't have a 270 hitter playing first base that hits eight or nine home runs and drives in 50.. that's just beyond ridiculous.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

D_H wrote: ↑Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:26 pm No doubt

you can't have a 270 hitter playing first base that hits eight or nine home runs and drives in 50.. that's just beyond ridiculous.
Agree. Also, Im not from Minnesota so I stopped liking him on the Team years ago. Mauer is the epitome of The Good Ol' Boys Club. He could be the Mascot, much like Ragnar, a real life mascot.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Clunk will post in this thread.
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: ↑Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 pm Clunk will post in this thread.
After he’s finished with his Joe Mauer blowup doll
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Tony Bongwater wrote: ↑Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm I think so. He wasnt a good leader. He never carried the offense. He was good behind the plate, but not like otherworldly great. I think the team now is a more cohesive unit. Everybody on the same page. I hate to say it, but I never felt like Mauer was a winner. He was very good, but there was just something missing. That intangible it factor that drives people to succeed by any means necessary just wasnt there, and as the team leader it trickled down.
Is Mike Trout a winner?
mlhouse wrote: ↑Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

zeitgeist wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:33 am
Tony Bongwater wrote: ↑Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm I think so. He wasnt a good leader. He never carried the offense. He was good behind the plate, but not like otherworldly great. I think the team now is a more cohesive unit. Everybody on the same page. I hate to say it, but I never felt like Mauer was a winner. He was very good, but there was just something missing. That intangible it factor that drives people to succeed by any means necessary just wasnt there, and as the team leader it trickled down.
Is Mike Trout a winner?
Cant say for sure. I dont really watch TV or follow the Angel's so I'm not keenly aware of Trouts intangibles.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Is Mike Trout a winner?

You're surely not comparing those two?
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

I agree.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

D_H wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:56 am
Is Mike Trout a winner?

The point of mentioning Trout is to show the absurdity of his thought process. People simply would say that Mauer is a winner if he had success in the playoffs, but since he did not you question whether he was a winner. There is no doubt to anyone that is actually knowledgeable about the game that Mauer contributed to winning baseball games at the very least through the first 9-10 years of his career. Trout is on track to be arguably the best player ever and he's had no success in the playoffs so far, baseball is a very team reliant game like I've been saying for 10 years.
mlhouse wrote: ↑Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

zeitgeist wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Is Mike Trout a winner?

The point of mentioning Trout is to show the absurdity of his thought process. People simply would say that Mauer is a winner if he had success in the playoffs, but since he did not you question whether he was a winner. There is no doubt to anyone that is actually knowledgeable about the game that Mauer contributed to winning baseball games at the very least through the first 9-10 years of his career. Trout is on track to be arguably the best player ever and he's had no success in the playoffs so far, baseball is a very team reliant game like I've been saying for 10 years.
He never once drove in a hundred runs... never... and only broke over 75 RBI's 4 times. He had more than 13 home runs once. Those are extremely average numbers for a guy with his ability and potential.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Tony Bongwater wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:34 pm

He never once drove in a hundred runs... never... and only broke over 75 RBI's 4 times. He had more than 13 home runs once. Those are extremely average numbers for a guy with his ability and potential.
Mauer was an exceptional hitter from the catcher position, and he was a very good defensiveman at least for a few years. You're simply looking at statistics that people cared the most about 50 years ago, our understanding has evolved. It's that similar type of thinking that lead to Mike Trout only having 2 MVPs. He should have at least 4.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

zeitgeist wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:44 pm

Mauer was an exceptional hitter from the catcher position, and he was a very good defensiveman at least for a few years. You're simply looking at statistics that people cared the most about 50 years ago, our understanding has evolved. It's that similar type of thinking that lead to Mike Trout only having 2 MVPs. He should have at least 4.
Yeah, I care about runs... the thing that wins games. Your advanced stats can dance around anything youd like... you still need to score more runs than the other team, and Mauer was very, very subpar in that category. He was a very good catcher... while he was a catcher. Once he moved to 1st any value he had was gone. You simply cannot have a 1st baseman who hits 9 homeruns and knocks in 57 RBI's.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Last I checked Joe retired. Could we move on please
D_H

Post by D_H »

Even at his best a slightly above-average player

His average year is approximately 9 home runs 65 runs scored and 60 RBIs.

Sorry, just not that great of a player.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

WOW....STILL rippin on Joe. The guy is going to be in the HOF one day....you know that, right?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
D_H

Post by D_H »

Hornets wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:51 pm WOW....STILL rippin on Joe. The guy is going to be in the HOF one day....you know that, right?
Even though we disagree politically you know I love you buddy ....but there's no way Joe Mauer's going to the Hall of Fame! If Tony Oliva is not in...there's no way this underachiever, lazy, looking for any reason to take a day off, no work ethic bum is getting into the Hall of Fame.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Since 1970, highest career batting average with RISP (min 1000 PA)
Tony Gwynn .349
Rod Carew .347
Joey Votto .336
Joe Mauer .334
Miguel Cabrera .328
Manny Ramirez .327
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Cold Take Twins @TwinsColdTakes
24 Dec 2018
Carlton Fisk vs Joe Mauer

.269 AVG vs .306
.341 OBP vs .388
.457 SLG vs .439
2,356 hits vs 2,123
1 gold glove vs 3
3 silver sluggers vs 5

Fisk was a second ballot Hall of Fame catcher.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

D_H wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:06 pm
Hornets wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:51 pm WOW....STILL rippin on Joe. The guy is going to be in the HOF one day....you know that, right?
Even though we disagree politically you know I love you buddy ....but there's no way Joe Mauer's going to the Hall of Fame! If Tony Oliva is not in...there's no way this underachiever, lazy, looking for any reason to take a day off, no work ethic bum is getting into the Hall of Fame.
Love you to Mi Amigo! Although we are all disappointed that Joe didn't produce better numbers for most of the last 1/3 dozen years, the St. Paul native put up RIDICULOUS numbers the first 1/2 of his career AND he was a catcher. He will be in the HOF, and if he's not there within 10 years you can come back here and say "I told you so" and I'll respect that!
D_H

Post by D_H »

JPM wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:16 pm Cold Take Twins @TwinsColdTakes
24 Dec 2018

.269 AVG vs .306
.341 OBP vs .388
.457 SLG vs .439
2,356 hits vs 2,123
1 gold glove vs 3
3 silver sluggers vs 5

Lol

please don't insult Carlton Fisk by putting him in the same sentence with Joe Mauer
LMAO
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

03246FDE-13F4-4AD3-8DC2-5E3B8CECD84E.jpeg
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

D_H wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:24 pm
JPM wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:16 pm Cold Take Twins @TwinsColdTakes
24 Dec 2018

.269 AVG vs .306
.341 OBP vs .388
.457 SLG vs .439
2,356 hits vs 2,123
1 gold glove vs 3
3 silver sluggers vs 5

Lol

please don't insult Carlton Fisk by putting him in the same sentence with Joe Mauer
LMAO
These stats don't lie DH....you're not thinking rationally here and if Fisk hadn't hit that famous WS homerun you would certainly be singing a different tune. Fisk was a very good playa and WOW he played a long time, but to suggest we can't put him in the same sentence as Joe is crazy....just plain crazy.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Joe will never be in the Hall of Fame take it to the bank and deposit it. He was known as a soft player who looked for any way to take a day off and voters remember that.

He had one good productive year when he was juicing other than that it was about eight home runs, 55 RBIs, and about 60 runs scored. :lol: :lol: :lol:

HOF :lol:
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Gary Carter vs. Joe Mauer

.262 AVG vs .306
.335 OBP vs .388
.439 SLG vs .439
2,092 hits vs 2,123
Three gold gloves each

Gary Carter was sixth ballot HoF
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

you guys debating if Joe Mauer is a HOFer? He won 3 batting titles and an MVP..... as a catcher. He has 50% more WAR than Harold Baines who took 22 seasons to accumulate it and is in the HOF.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

D_H wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:33 pm Joe will never be in the Hall of Fame take it to the bank and deposit it. He was known as a soft player who looked for any way to take a day off and voters remember that.

He had one good productive year when he was juicing other than that it was about eight home runs, 55 RBIs, and about 60 runs scored. :lol: :lol: :lol:

HOF :lol:
So the 3 batting titles and handful of golden glove awards means nothing? Explain to me why you feel Fisk and Joe shouldn't be in the same sentence? Trust me, the national media do NOT think Joe was soft and lazy. The concussion deal really caused a big deal for Joe and no one wanted to win more than he.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

1C97A4AE-AD0F-4407-B10E-FF062C0DEA03.jpeg