Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fire Rocco!

A place to discuss the MN Twins
ForCaleb

Re: Fire Rocco!

Post by ForCaleb »

Next 10 games are home (MIL, DET, BOS)

7-3 or better during this stretch would be ideal.

5-5 against this batch of opponents is inexcusable.

Stay tuned!
salamander

Post by salamander »

I just can't even believe we lost 6 out of the last 8 and are still in first place.
This division is so bad and we should be 15 games up right now.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Fire Rocco already. He sucks. The players don't like him. The fans don't like him. He's a loser.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:25 am Next 10 games are home (MIL, DET, BOS)

Stay tuned!
What should have been.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:39 pm Fire Rocco already. He sucks. The players don't like him. The fans don't like him. He's a loser.
Byron Buxton in the outfield? ‘He physically can’t,’ Twins manager Rocco Baldelli says

“It’s something that’s been beyond pondered and we know the answer.”

Twins star Byron Buxton has not played in the outfield this season and it’s clearly taking a toll on him.

The joy with which Gold Glove winner plays the game is most noticeable when he’s covering a seemingly impossible amount of grass to rob opposing players of extra bases. Buxton simply is not himself without that the ability to impact the game in that manner.

He knows that better than anyone.

Which adds to Buxton’s frustration as he continues to struggle at the plate. Before Tuesday night’s game between the Twins and Boston Red Sox at Target Field, the designated hitter had not garnered a hit since being reinstated from the injured list last week. The slump would be easier for Buxton to stomach if he were able to make his presence felt in the outfield.

“That definitely takes your mind off of what you do at the plate,” he said Tuesday. “If I was to strike out, I went on defense, and I was like, ‘Ain’t nobody getting a hit.’ ”

That healthy distraction isn’t available at the moment, and despite constant clamoring from fans, it doesn’t seem as if it will be anytime soon. That’s something manager Rocco Baldelli made abundantly clear as he addressed the idea of Buxton playing in the outfield.

“If we even thought that it was possible that he could play in the outfield right now, he would be out there,” Baldelli said. “But he can’t. He can’t. He physically can’t.”

This isn’t a new development. The lingering effects from surgery on his right knee last season have hindered Buxton’s ability to play in the outfield. That’s why he has spent this season as a DH and nothing else.

It’s not really a question,” Baldelli said, “because it’s something that’s been beyond pondered and we know the answer.”

Asked if he thinks there’s a chance that Buxton could play in the outfield at some point this season, Baldelli expressed some hopefulness before quickly making sure he wasn’t taken out of context.

“Nothing has really gone up or down on that scale,” the manager said of Buxton’s limitations. “It hasn’t gotten closer. It hasn’t gotten further away. It’s basically in a similar spot.”

Nonetheless, in an effort to get Buxton feeling more like himself, he has done some throwing in the outfield this week. It was an idea from trainer Nick Paparesta designed to get Buxton moving around so that he’s not overthinking things at the plate.

“That was fun,” Buxton said. “Just take my mind off of being inside the cages and hitting all the time.”

It doesn’t mean Buxton is getting close to returning to the outfield on a regular basis.

It’s not part of some larger plan,” Baldelli said. “I know everyone would really want to hear that.”

As disappointing as that might be for those that love watching Buxton play in the outfield, as Baldelli noted, that doesn’t change the facts of the situation at hand.

“I’ve been pretty consistent the entire way saying if he could physically play in the outfield, he would play in the outfield, and we would get the process going ASAP for him to play in the outfield,” Baldelli said. “He can’t because he’s kind of treading water physically just (being a designated hitter) at this point.”
By DANE MIZUTANI | dmizutani@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press

LBJ 2.0. Rocco.is a douche.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

“If we even thought that it was possible that he could play in the outfield right now, he would be out there,” Baldelli said. “But he can’t. He can’t. He physically can’t.”

This explanation is better than wondering.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

This whole thing with Rocco and Buxton reminds me of Gardy and Mauer.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Hummdrum wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:50 pm

Definitely.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

salamander wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:47 am

Definitely.
I call bullshit. Should we put Buck in a nursing home and make him a hype man or something ? show highlights of his best plays in center and long home runs? This can’t play the field stuff drives me insane.
“You realize he reports you just as much as you report him, right? He has some valid complaints as well. I don't like or dislike either of you. I just want you two to shut the fuck up.”
——OG Froob.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Bullazin wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:34 am

Definitely.
I call bullshit. Should we put Buck in a nursing home and make him a hype man or something ? show highlights of his best plays in center and long home runs? This can’t play the field stuff drives me insane.
it's not that he couldn't go out there today and play--it's just that he'd probably be injured by the weekend if he did. that's what they think anyways.
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:37 am
Bullazin wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:34 am

Definitely.
it's not that he couldn't go out there today and play--it's just that he'd probably be injured by the weekend if he did. that's what they think anyways.
Weimy you are a stabilizing force around here lol. Reminds me of my older brother who got me into the Twins, he was always positive, measured and hopeful
“You realize he reports you just as much as you report him, right? He has some valid complaints as well. I don't like or dislike either of you. I just want you two to shut the fuck up.”
——OG Froob.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Why did they sign him long-term then? They knew his injury history.

This organization is starting to annoy me.

LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:59 am Why did they sign him long-term then? They knew his injury history.

Correct. He was signed to play outfield, and steal bases when he got on base.

He does neither, nor is he such a great hitter his OPS dictates you keep him.

It would be if I hired someone to run a lawn mower, but they had no arms, but I kept them on the payroll because I couldn't admit I made the mistake of hiring someone that cannot do what they were hired to do.
My body, my choice.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:12 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:59 am Why did they sign him long-term then? They knew his injury history.

It would be if I hired someone to run a lawn mower, but they had no arms, but I kept them on the payroll because I couldn't admit I made the mistake of hiring someone that cannot do what they were hired to do.
I get what you're saying, but Buxton's contract is spent money. There is zero financial incentive to cut/waive/DFA him. Say he goes on waivers and no one claims him. He can sign with the Yankees or whoever, but the Twins still have to pay everything he's still owed. The only way to get rid of that contract is to trade him. And I doubt the market for a CF who can't play CF is real active.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:14 pm

I get what you're saying, but Buxton's contract is spent money. There is zero financial incentive to cut/waive/DFA him. Say he goes on waivers and no one claims him. He can sign with the Yankees or whoever, but the Twins still have to pay everything he's still owed. The only way to get rid of that contract is to trade him. And I doubt the market for a CF who can't play CF is real active.
In other words, the Twins made their bed and now they gotta sleep in it.....right Dawg?!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:25 am Next 10 games are home (MIL, DET, BOS)

Stay tuned!
Inexcusable is the winner.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

they have a chance to reverse the tigger results this weekend.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:56 pm
feekdogg wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:14 pm

In other words, the Twins made their bed and now they gotta sleep in it.....right Dawg?!
Yup. Should be noted that the bed has bed bugs, or at the very least a little kid had an "accident" in it.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

reusse trying to make the case for rocco. i don't know. when you see souhan's article and the run differential and have watched some of these tough losses i think you can put close to a half dozen of them at rocco's feet. they also seem to do pretty good when he gets tossed from the game.

Rocco Baldelli, the Twins' former AL Manager of the Year, is not the problem in 2023
Amid the tumult of coaching changes and major injuries, Rocco Baldelli is a better manager now than when he came to the Twins in 2019.

https://www.startribune.com/rocco-balde ... 600285122/
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I'll agree that he's a better manager than he was in 2019, and I'm far from a fan of the guy. Of course the losses aren't all his fault, but lots of them are. He did listen and adapt when his starting pitchers collectively said, "FU, let us do what we're supposed to do". He has been much more willing to get out of the dugout to back up his players (although his "ejection" in NY was a little light, he should have gone totally apeshit after that nonsense with German).
It's not his fault they chose to saddle him with a 11-million dollar strikeout/popout machine in Gallo and once again went dumpster diving to try and fill out the bullpen.
Where he still has lots of work to do? Whether it's him or dictated by the front office, the Twins are the kings of Paralysis By Overanalysis. Pinch hitting for guys in the second inning? Inexcusable. Looks like you're trying way too hard to outsmart everyone. Let your best players hit. Simple as that. If Kiriloff is hot and seeing the ball well, it shouldn't make a lick of difference if the other team starts a left-hander. Contrary to what more and more people think, sports are not, and will never be decided on a spreadsheet.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the analytics people put a manager's worth at plus or minus two for the season depending on the quality of the guy pushing the buttons. so there is that. that said--i look at the run differential, the game in boston when he pulled duran after one inning and moran imploded, the decisions in the dodgers series along with nitpicking all the other buttons that were pushed wrong and i can't say i'm a big fan of the manager. i think molitor would be better.

i'm still bullish on the season because of the starting pitching if they can stay healthy. i'm not saying the back end is "KC shut down" in their most recent world series years--but stewart, jax and duran are quality. one more reliable BP arm and one middle of the lineup RBI bat and let's see if they can win the division and there's post-season baseball this year in minneapolis.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

one of the bats they could use might be in st paul. i read somewhere that miranda's starting to come around--but where are you going to play him if buxton's the DH? i could see him being very effective against left handed pitching. julien would be the DH against right handers.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

rocco taking many of the shots in the strib comments section. here's one.

Rocco is on quite a roll:

Playing powerhouse Atlanta, he had Royce Lewis, the Twins best and hottest hitter, on the bench.

He had Kepler batting 3rd.

He brings in Pagan in a 1-run game.

He sends up Buxton to pinch-hit for Farmer when he has Lewis available.

Will this insanity ever stop?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this one was worth a lulz.

Rockhead + Pagan - Lewis = Another loss
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:03 pm one of the bats they could use might be in st paul. i read somewhere that miranda's starting to come around--but where are you going to play him if buxton's the DH? i could see him being very effective against left handed pitching. julien would be the DH against right handers.
You can do some mixing/matching, but my move would be to put Lewis at 2nd, Miranda at 3rd for most games. The Julien/Farmer/Solano rotation at 2B leaves a lot to be desired, and who knows if/when Polanco is coming back.
salamander

Post by salamander »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:47 am Contrary to what more and more people think, sports are not, and will never be decided on a spreadsheet.
Totally agree. You shouldn't even be looking at a pinch hitter spreadsheet until the 6th inning. Unless you're looking to remove a player from the game for other reasons that is. The major problem with analytics is that every single team is doing it now so it offers zero in terms of one upping the next team. It should be viewed as just a tool in the toolbox. If it's your modus operandum as the little guy to try and win then you're not going anywhere ever.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:46 am
weimy froob wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:03 pm one of the bats they could use might be in st paul. i read somewhere that miranda's starting to come around--but where are you going to play him if buxton's the DH? i could see him being very effective against left handed pitching. julien would be the DH against right handers.
You can do some mixing/matching, but my move would be to put Lewis at 2nd, Miranda at 3rd for most games. The Julien/Farmer/Solano rotation at 2B leaves a lot to be desired, and who knows if/when Polanco is coming back.
that'd work if miranda's feeling confident with the glove. one of the columnists thoughts was that he was bringing his anxiety/fielding problems with him to the dugout and it was affecting his ABs. i think it was more the high hard one he couldn't handle but continued to swing at(not a strike)--so put him back at third and see how it goes.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Stay tuned!
This is why going 7-3 against those shit teams was ideal. They go back on the road and get swept by ATL and they'd still be a game over .500

This team is bad news bears
Roy D.

Post by Roy D. »

MLB managers don’t generally make a lot of a difference statistically.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

no reason why rocco didn't challenge the out call on the castro stolen base attempt. he looked safe to me on that replay. bad managing plain and simple.