Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fire Rocco!

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Tommy_Hawk

Re: Fire Rocco!

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I haven't looked at the numbers but I think majority of Sabermetrics are a wash, especially with the big boys using them. If everyone is using them, all the time, then there are no obvious tells a player has the opponent can use against him because he's performing based on the opponent's tells.

Old school tact and strategy will re-emerge and many experienced managers will be available while these new, nerdy managers decisions are dictated by a soulless computer and scout team filled with baseball game inexperience.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:32 am I haven't looked at the numbers but I think majority of Sabermetrics are a wash, especially with the big boys using them. If everyone is using them, all the time, then there are no obvious tells a player has the opponent can use against him because he's performing based on the opponent's tells.

Old school tact and strategy will re-emerge and many experienced managers will be available while these new, nerdy managers decisions are dictated by a soulless computer and scout team filled with baseball game inexperience.
I have said for years that baseball isn't played on an Excel spreadsheet.

Fuck the nerds for ruining this game.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Don’t recognize this game and I don’t enjoy watching the product and how it’s being managed.
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Baldelli's follies were Twins' big story before COVID pause

The third-year Twins manager pushed a lot of the right buttons in leading the team to back-to-back AL Central titles in 2019 and 2020. But this season, through 14 games, has hardly been his finest work.

By Michael Rand Star Tribune APRIL 19, 2021 — 10:12AM

A Twins season that was stalling in a bad place early on already is now on pause indefinitely because of multiple positive COVID tests.

The health and safety of everyone involved should of course be the top priority. Less important but still significant aspects of this pause on the field, though, are these:
The missed games could provide some logistical rescheduling challenges, particularly if the pause continues beyond Monday. And the break — no games Saturday or Sunday in Anaheim and now Monday in Oakland — gives the Twins no chance to alter the narrative of the season, which has resulted in a 6-8 record so far and a whiff of disappointment.

Patrick Reusse and I discussed this in some detail on Monday's Daily Delivery podcast, with Reusse concluding that manager Rocco Baldelli has been at or near the top of the list of reasons for the subpar record.

reusse mentions the jeffers AB after the cave bunt. not pinch-hitting.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:32 am I haven't looked at the numbers but I think majority of Sabermetrics are a wash, especially with the big boys using them. If everyone is using them, all the time, then there are no obvious tells a player has the opponent can use against him because he's performing based on the opponent's tells.

Yeah. It was an excuse to never be buyers but now that 100% of the teams are using it, it's a wash. Its old news. It's the default now.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
D_H

Post by D_H »

He’s just absolutely horrible. He’s one of these idiots that Relies 100% on analytics because that’s what his bosses want him to do. He’s personally lost three games this year.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

He sucks. Im not impressed. Gardy's MOY held more weight then Moli's and Rocco's.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:55 pm He sucks. Im not impressed. Gardy's MOY held more weight then Moli's and Rocco's.
That I don't agree with. Gardy had a ton of talent that always shit themselves against The Yankees. He was every bit the screw up that Rocco is and he did it for a lot longer.

I am not impressed with Rocco's nerd ball act either. They could fire him tomorrow and I wouldn't care. But let's not act like Gardy was Sparky Anderson or Billy Martin because you don't like the new guy.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:55 pm He sucks. Im not impressed. Gardy's MOY held more weight then Moli's and Rocco's.
That I don't agree with. Gardy had a ton of talent that always shit themselves against The Yankees. He was every bit the screw up that Rocco is and he did it for a lot longer.

I am not impressed with Rocco's nerd ball act either. They could fire him tomorrow and I wouldn't care. But let's not act like Gardy was Sparky Anderson or Billy Martin because you don't like the new guy.
:shock:

Okay.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Shipley: Rocco Baldelli’s ingenuous compassion wearing thin with frustrated Twins fans

Twins fans are not happy — with the offense, the bullpen or the manager, whose conspicuous moves Wednesday at RingCentral Stadium came back on him like a boomerang. Just as Baldelli’s decision to let embattled closer Alex Colome pitch a second inning appeared to pay off, it was derailed by his decision to pinch run for third baseman Josh Donaldson.

Colome walked the bases loaded in the 10th and took his third blown save in five opportunities, but he got a pair of ground balls when he needed them. The first was mishandled by Travis Blankenhorn, who pinch-ran for Donaldson, the second misplayed by Luis Arraez, Donaldson’s replacement at third.

“What we really saw today was something we haven’t seen a ton of from our group, and I stand in the front of it and take responsibility for all of it,” Baldelli said.

That’s good, because he’s getting it.

https://www.pinejournal.com/sports/base ... Twins-fans
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

You honestly have to wonder what it would take for them to shit can him? Doesn't seem to be a thought that's even being remotely considered at present. I get the feeling they could lose just about every game for another month and his job would still be safe.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I honestly didn't think the Twins slump would be this bad.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Intuition is more valuable than data. Rocco has none, or that valve has been shut off by someone else. He doesn't realize that all he has to do is win. It doesn't matter if its by sabermetrics or not. Even if THIS FO is mad, another team's will gladly take him, if he can win.

Unable to play small ball in the 10th inning. 0-6 in the Playoffs. Below-mediocre BP management.

Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

JFC Rocco. Take some ownership. Because of you the best pitcher on your team had to leave and a shitty, unwarmed bullpen has to enter early.
Baldelli then headed to the mound to give Berríos a pep talk only to discover that Johnson had made an earlier visit when Baldelli was on the phone with the bullpen to get Robles warming up. Plate umpire Tom Hallion informed Baldelli that Berríos had to be removed after two coaching mound visits in the same inning.

“That’s on me,” Baldelli said. “I was locked in on something else at the time. … Not a great moment. But obviously, I’m more concerned about everything that went on in the game and the results and what happened and a little less so on that.”
Ketchup can be nuancy
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:13 am JFC Rocco. Take some ownership. Because of you the best pitcher on your team had to leave and a shitty, unwarmed bullpen has to enter early.
Baldelli then headed to the mound to give Berríos a pep talk only to discover that Johnson had made an earlier visit when Baldelli was on the phone with the bullpen to get Robles warming up. Plate umpire Tom Hallion informed Baldelli that Berríos had to be removed after two coaching mound visits in the same inning.

“That’s on me,” Baldelli said. “I was locked in on something else at the time. … Not a great moment. But obviously, I’m more concerned about everything that went on in the game and the results and what happened and a little less so on that.”
Yeah, it takes far less time to pick up the phone and say, "Get Robles up" than it does to run out to the mound, have a little chat and then run back. No chance this is the truth.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:45 am
Ask Not wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:13 am JFC Rocco. Take some ownership. Because of you the best pitcher on your team had to leave and a shitty, unwarmed bullpen has to enter early.

Yeah, it takes far less time to pick up the phone and say, "Get Robles up" than it does to run out to the mound, have a little chat and then run back. No chance this is the truth.
Really? :oops:

Edit- To add on, when your employee makes a novice mistake like this, why would you trust them when they implore you about something else?

ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Colome has 8 ER in the last 4IP (6 appearances) and Rocco keeps trotting him out there.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

There was some Twins Daily turd whining on Twitter yesterday about people calling for Rocco's job. The bullpen sucks and the lineup isn''t producing, so that's not Rocco's fault.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Is there a sport in which the head coach (or manager) has less influence on the outcome of a game?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm sure rocco's going to get a pass for this disastrous season--but anybody want to make the case for why?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:33 pm i'm sure rocco's going to get a pass for this disastrous season--but anybody want to make the case for why?
I can feel your passion Weimy through your words, but let's not forget that Rocco won 2 titles in his first 2 years, and the injury to Buck has really been disastrous. Has he made mistakes? Sure...but he deserves another full season at the very least to see what he can do.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:30 pm
weimy froob wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:33 pm i'm sure rocco's going to get a pass for this disastrous season--but anybody want to make the case for why?
I can feel your passion Weimy through your words, but let's not forget that Rocco won 2 titles in his first 2 years, and the injury to Buck has really been disastrous. Has he made mistakes? Sure...but he deserves another full season at the very least to see what he can do.
two title is why enough. i don't think he's a better manager than molitor though. they regressed in the position.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:01 pm
Hornets wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:30 pm
two title is why enough. i don't think he's a better manager than molitor though. they regressed in the position.
I liked Molly and wish they had stuck with him but Falvine knows better!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
salamander

Post by salamander »

I honestly think a lot of his coaching choices are being forced on him by Falvey and Levine.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

salamander wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:35 pm
I honestly think a lot of his coaching choices are being forced on him by Falvey and Levine.
In game stuff, absolutely. Stuff like his demeanor, inability to motivate players and his strategy that batting practice and fielding practice are "hey, do whatever you feel like" are 100% on him. There's a reason this team has the 2nd most errors in MLB.
salamander

Post by salamander »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:07 pm
salamander wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:35 pm
In game stuff, absolutely. Stuff like his demeanor, inability to motivate players and his strategy that batting practice and fielding practice are "hey, do whatever you feel like" are 100% on him. There's a reason this team has the 2nd most errors in MLB.
I can see that.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'll put this here--but you'd have to ask sweet music who he had in mind.

feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

From Sportsline's list of managers on the hot seat:

3. Rocco Baldelli, Twins
I think he's probably OK. Baldelli's first season was 2019, and the Twins won 101 games. In the shortened 2020 season, they won their second consecutive AL Central title. The line of thinking here is that Baldelli was obviously a good manager in his first two years, so how do we blame him for all the problems the team had in 2021? Sometimes the manager does get the blame and take the fall in cases like this, I just get the feeling that it won't be the case here.

Boo!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mods? pin this thread.