Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fire Rocco!

A place to discuss the MN Twins
weimy froob

Re: Fire Rocco!

Post by weimy froob »

i listened to reusse this morning. i'll post the link so you can too. half measures are just a waste of time patrick. he's furious about how the FO and rocco have done things--but he predicts that they'll all be back. less sure about rocco, but so what? you're supposed to call for their firing for effing up this season/weekend. he wants them to re-evaluate their approach instead--even though he doubts they have the capability to do that.

instead of calling for their heads he wants to shine a spotlight on the team's outfield these days and buxton being out. that has nothing to do with losing on friday or saturday night. in fact, caveman hit a HR on friday.

Patrick Reusse: Twins need to re-evaluate and make changes this offseason
On Monday's Daily Delivery podcast, Reusse said the plan — particularly the approach to pitching — isn't working.

https://www.startribune.com/patrick-reu ... 600208245/
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:46 am i listened to reusse this morning. i'll post the link so you can too. half measures are just a waste of time patrick. he's furious about how the FO and rocco have done things--but he predicts that they'll all be back. less sure about rocco, but so what? you're supposed to call for their firing for effing up this season/weekend. he wants them to re-evaluate their approach instead--even though he doubts they have the capability to do that.

instead of calling for their heads he wants to shine a spotlight on the team's outfield these days and buxton being out. that has nothing to do with losing on friday or saturday night. in fact, caveman hit a HR on friday.

Patrick Reusse: Twins need to re-evaluate and make changes this offseason
On Monday's Daily Delivery podcast, Reusse said the plan — particularly the approach to pitching — isn't working.

https://www.startribune.com/patrick-reu ... 600208245/
He's right. There is no imagination or creativity with this group. Just numbers and analytics that continue to not work.

Not to mention having their pride hurt because they made a bad trade and foolishly keeping one player from that trade on the roster to continue to blow games. Pagan hurt this team more being on the roster than Paddack did not being on it.

If they are all back, they will see a serious drop in interest next year.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

tiggers only two games back. they have a minus 49 run differential. the twins are a plus 45. something's wrong with that picture.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

of course 30 of those plus 45s are in the joe ryan starts. still--it looks like they're not getting helped out by any shrewd managing decisions. i know there were two bad losses against the red sox that could be blamed on the manager. probably another 4-5 games that you can lay at his cleats if you are so inclined.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

weimy froob wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:16 pm of course 30 of those plus 45s are in the joe ryan starts. still--it looks like they're not getting helped out by any shrewd managing decisions. i know there were two bad losses against the red sox that could be blamed on the manager. probably another 4-5 games that you can lay at his cleats if you are so inclined.
It's pretty sad with the manager was a WAR of -6 and it's not even June.
salamander

Post by salamander »

4th place White Sox just slaughtered our division after a few series within it.
We've only got a 2 game lead in the worst division in the league.
This team sucks.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'd put rocco in the five percent based on some of the buttons he's pushed so far this year--but there's a very good chance he's in the 95 percent. either/or his decisions aren't supposed to effect the team's record that much. oh well--it's still a good bitch.

Criticizing baseball managers is a pastime as American as baseball itself. Players make their share of gaffes, but few mistakes are dissected with as much scrutiny as those made by the men in the dugout, especially during the postseason. Whether it’s his faulty in-game tactical choices or just the vague sense that he’s lost control of the clubhouse, the manager is an easy target. (As the old saying goes, you can’t fire the players.)

Yet sabermetrics tells us that most dugout decisions barely have any effect on the outcome of the game. Furthermore, if we look at effects on player performance, it’s evident that hardly any manager can distinguish himself from his counterparts. Based on my analysis, 95 percent of all managers are worth somewhere between -2 and +2 wins per 162 games. Last year alone, 21 batters and seven pitchers were worth more to their teams than nearly every manager of the last 112 years.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mo ... ediocrity/
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

weimy froob wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:56 am i'd put rocco in the five percent based on some of the buttons he's pushed so far this year--but there's a very good chance he's in the 95 percent. either/or his decisions aren't supposed to effect the team's record that much. oh well--it's still a good bitch.

Criticizing baseball managers is a pastime as American as baseball itself. Players make their share of gaffes, but few mistakes are dissected with as much scrutiny as those made by the men in the dugout, especially during the postseason. Whether it’s his faulty in-game tactical choices or just the vague sense that he’s lost control of the clubhouse, the manager is an easy target. (As the old saying goes, you can’t fire the players.)

Yet sabermetrics tells us that most dugout decisions barely have any effect on the outcome of the game. Furthermore, if we look at effects on player performance, it’s evident that hardly any manager can distinguish himself from his counterparts. Based on my analysis, 95 percent of all managers are worth somewhere between -2 and +2 wins per 162 games. Last year alone, 21 batters and seven pitchers were worth more to their teams than nearly every manager of the last 112 years.

SOme good points... I'll just say the definition of a good manager is a guy that does in fact bring a positive to the game results. It's super intangible stuff like timing and knowing when a pitcher is about to implode or how much stuff they have left. In those respects, Rocco is just a guy to me and not really a good manager.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

minnemike wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:19 am
weimy froob wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:56 am i'd put rocco in the five percent based on some of the buttons he's pushed so far this year--but there's a very good chance he's in the 95 percent. either/or his decisions aren't supposed to effect the team's record that much. oh well--it's still a good bitch.

SOme good points... I'll just say the definition of a good manager is a guy that does in fact bring a positive to the game results. It's super intangible stuff like timing and knowing when a pitcher is about to implode or how much stuff they have left. In those respects, Rocco is just a guy to me and not really a good manager.
i call it pushing the right buttons. lots of second guessing can be had when you're talking about rocco. this might be a thing with most managers too. i don't pay attention to their in game strategies unless they're playing the twins. :mrgreen:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Reusse calling for Kepler's head and wants him released IMMEDIATELY! He's not wrong....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Fire Rocco now and make Ramon Borrego (AA manager) interim.
MichaelRay

Post by MichaelRay »

He needs to go
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

Sign me up. I've pretty much felt that way since he pulled Berrios from that playoff game a few years ago.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Offense has scored 7 runs in the last 6 games, their lowest total in any 6-game stretch since 2011.

Fire his ass!!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

ForCaleb wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:53 am Fire Rocco now and make Ramon Borrego (AA manager) interim.
It's Toby Gardenhire time!!!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Agree. He's a stinker.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Aww shucks guys. We're trying real hard out there!
Let's get Tropical
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Although I’ve wanted him shitcanned for quite awhile now, I haven’t been very vocal about it. After this series and in the embarrassing fashion they let Cleveland back into this race after they had them on the ropes, I’m stepping up my demand to fire his ass. Guy has no business in an MLB dugout during a game, he’s a fucking idiot…
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Hornets wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:54 pm
ForCaleb wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:53 am Fire Rocco now and make Ramon Borrego (AA manager) interim.
Oh Christ, you know for as much as I hated Gardenhire (and I did) at least he didn’t run these embarrassing lineups out there that we see regularly with this group…
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:50 pm
Oh Christ, you know for as much as I hated Gardenhire (and I did) at least he didn’t run these embarrassing lineups out there that we see regularly with this group…
Probably just my age Ron but to me the whole vibe of MLB has taken a turn for the worse over the last 1/2 dozen years or so. Hard to explain everything that bugs me about it now but the game I once loved is nothing more than a casual distraction these days... :cry:
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Hornets wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:53 pm

Probably just my age Ron but to me the whole vibe of MLB has taken a turn for the worse over the last 1/2 dozen years or so. Hard to explain everything that bugs me about it now but the game I once loved is nothing more than a casual distraction these days... :cry:
I’m sorry to say, but I’m the same way. I used to love this game and still do but not with the passion I once did. To be fair, every single asshole that works for the Twins makes my experience less enjoyable than it otherwise would be.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Seriously, at least with Gardy it was the same lineup every day (except for those pesky day games). With this new group it’s like they pull names out of a hat then after that create a batting lineup by throwing darts at a board….
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:59 pm Seriously, at least with Gardy it was the same lineup every day (except for those pesky day games). With this new group it’s like they pull names out of a hat then after that create a batting lineup by throwing darts at a board….
Seems to be happening in all sports, but there is so much changing of teams going on that there is no continuity anymore. When 50% or more of a roster turns over every few years it's hard to get behind any team. Free agency and attempted parity by all professional leagues is a bummer for the average fan. Oh well, there are more important things in life I guess! :lol:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

some good rocco roasting after the pagan fail yesterday.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:59 pm Seriously, at least with Gardy it was the same lineup every day (except for those pesky day games). With this new group it’s like they pull names out of a hat then after that create a batting lineup by throwing darts at a board….
What's almost worse than pulling names out of a hat is that I'm sure they are using some calculated analytics to come up with these lineups which is more laughable looking at the results. It would be funny to know what their mathematics are behind them.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:47 am some good rocco roasting after the pagan fail yesterday.
Well deserved. Pagan has proven time and time again he can't handle big situations. Yet Rocco never seems to learn that lesson.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

The dumbest thing about Gardy's lineups were if he gave anyone a day off, he wouldn't alter the lineup, he'd just insert scrub into that day off player's spot in the lineup. How many times did a shitty hitting backup catcher hit 3rd when Mauer would get a day off? That was dumb as hell for Gardy. That, and you could almost count on their Sunday day game lineups being awful.
Let's get Tropical
salamander

Post by salamander »

dennis1 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:15 pm Sign me up. I've pretty much felt that way since he pulled Berrios from that playoff game a few years ago.
The number of times he's pulled a pitcher too early is shocking at this point.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:55 pm
Hornets wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:53 pm

I’m sorry to say, but I’m the same way. I used to love this game and still do but not with the passion I once did. To be fair, every single asshole that works for the Twins makes my experience less enjoyable than it otherwise would be.
Same for me and I think it's because of how the Twins have handled their business. I still go watch local youth games and softball games but the major league team just hasn't been doing it for me for years.