Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Historically underrated bands

Music forum.
Slap Shot

Re: Historically underrated bands

Post by Slap Shot »

Midnight Oil. They tailed off a bit after Earth and Sun and Moon, but before they blew up with Diesel And Dust they also killed it with Red Sails in the Sunset, Head Injuries, 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, and Place without a Postcard. 6 or 7 very good records imho.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Slap Shot wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:22 pm Midnight Oil. They tailed off a bit after Earth and Sun and Moon, but before they blew up with Diesel And Dust they also killed it with Red Sails in the Sunset, Head Injuries, 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, and Place without a Postcard. 6 or 7 very good records imho.
Kinda REM ain't they for one record?
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Qman65 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:07 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:22 pm Midnight Oil. They tailed off a bit after Earth and Sun and Moon, but before they blew up with Diesel And Dust they also killed it with Red Sails in the Sunset, Head Injuries, 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, and Place without a Postcard. 6 or 7 very good records imho.
You're referring to REM's Monster? There is some of that but they were more diverse over several records. They were a mix of rock, punk and new wave at times and early on you could hear a bit of Devo and Talking Heads. Here's some progression from the beginning to just before Diesel and Dust when they got big.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I had a midnight oil phase in the late 80s. Had their first 3 albums on cassette. I dug them then.

I liked “The Dead Heart” from “Diesel and Dust” a lot.

I remember lead singer dude was bald, really tall, and looked a little like Woody Harrelson.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Slap Shot wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:53 pm
Qman65 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:07 pm
You're referring to REM's Monster? There is some of that but they were more diverse over several records. They were a mix of rock, punk and new wave at times and early on you could hear a bit of Devo and Talking Heads. Here's some progression from the beginning to just before Diesel and Dust when they got big.

Weren't they just big in Australia? They had a hit with Beds are Burning. what else?
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

cmd24 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:45 am
Slap Shot wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:33 am Chevelle
Ride
Superchunk
Luscious Jackson
Loop
Young the Giant
The xx
Portugal The Man
Tame Impala
Dinosaur Jr.
Kyuss
These guys are extremely good musicians. Solid choice!
Kyuss would be the only one I'd chose because guess what? no one has heard of these other bands. :roll:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Yes mostly in AUS which is why they're mentioned in this thread. :) Diesel and Dust and the following record Blue Sky Mining did fairly well in the US especially with college and alternative stations. Overall they had 2 #1 hits and 6 Top 10 in the US between 88 and 93.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Dire Straits

Rainbow

Dream Theater
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Herky wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 am Dire Straits

Rainbow

Dream Theater
YES!

At little cmd's next guitar lesson, his instructor is going to introduce how to play Walk of Life.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Bull

Post by Bull »

The Replacements by anyone outside of Minneapolis/St Paul.
mlhouse wrote: Rudy Guiliani is an American hero.
mlhouse wrote: I am a bleeding heart liberal.
mlhouse wrote: Donald Trump was teh most successful one term President in the history of the United States.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

YBBR wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:03 pm How about The Meters?
Who?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Qman65 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:02 am
Who?
Man, you need to check out The Meters for real.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

Dude! Digging that Rejuvenation album.

Thanks for introducing them to me.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Lightning wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:41 pm

:beer: :thumbsup:
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Lightning wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Yeah, first time for me too.

Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:42 am
Qman65 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:02 am
Who?
Man, you need to check out The Meters for real.
I did and I'm not impressed.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

The Meters, just go away. Less than average. I would rather listen to wood rot. Can't call them historically underrated since they have no history yet. :roll:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Qman65 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:32 am The Meters, just go away. Less than average. I would rather listen to wood rot. Can't call them historically underrated since they have no history yet. :roll:
They helped create funk music. They were right there with The J.B.'s, paving the way.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

YBBR wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:53 am
Qman65 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:32 am The Meters, just go away. Less than average. I would rather listen to wood rot. Can't call them historically underrated since they have no history yet. :roll:
They helped create funk music. They were right there with The J.B.'s, paving the way.
I thought Funkadelic created the funk movement? Who the funk is J.B.'s?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Qman65 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:14 pm
YBBR wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:53 am
I thought Funkadelic created the funk movement? Who the funk is J.B.'s?
The J.B.s were the backing band for James Brown. They recorded records on their own and with James Brown playing organ and chanting along. Sometimes they're listed as Maceo and The Macks for Maceo Parker who was in the band. Or Fred Wesley & The J.B.'s.

Funkadelic and Parliament were part of the funk movement for sure, but The Meters actually predate them all and were making records in the mid 60's. Some of their early stuff is more southern soul but it evolved into funk and they were a super tight band from New Orleans that helped create funk music.

(Technically The Parliaments which much later on became Parliament goes back the furthest. They were a doo wop group in the 50's that George Clinton was a part of.)
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 am I love all of it - Son Volt, UT and Wilco although I haven't listened to a ton of Wilco since probably Sky Blue Sky.

I assume you guys already know of the following but I'd also recommend The Jayhawks and Golden Smog.

I wish Chris Mars was still making music. I thought Handshoes and Hand Grenades as well as 75% Less Fat were excellent records.
I'm just experiencing The Jayhawks for the first time about the last week. Heard some cover band on the Common Man show covering "Blue", and just loved it. Coincidentally, I was going on a road trip a day later, and had IheartRadio play the Jayhawks the whole trip. What a band. I stopped listening to new music about two decades ago, but every now and then I hear a song that hooks me, and I go into the worm hole of that band. The Jayhawks are new to me, yet are decades old. Old new music just sounds so much better to me. Only new music from a new musician I have found that I like is Hobo Johnson.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Is Faith No More underrated? I've been listening to them a lot lately and it seems they're always just under everyone's radar when discussing 'best...' lists or threads.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
RC3

Post by RC3 »

Cinderella
Spoiler:
not kidding
reddish?

I will have my vengeance.
Teh DMB

Post by Teh DMB »

Berlin.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Night Train wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:42 pm Is Faith No More underrated? I've been listening to them a lot lately and it seems they're always just under everyone's radar when discussing 'best...' lists or threads.
Their pre-Mike Patton stuff is trash. The Real Thing is a fun album, but it really sounds dated now. Angel Dust is phenomenal. King for a Day is pretty good. Album of the Year is forgettable. Their reunion album didn't do much for me.

I think they could have been more if they had kept the lineup of Mike Bordin, Roddy Bottom, Jim Martin, and Billy Gould together longer. That was special. And Mike Patton is amazing and has done all sorts of cool shit, but he didn't focus on FNM enough and they suffered because of it, IMHO. They definitely lost something, IMHO, when Jim Martin left the band after Angel Dust.

I don't think they're underrated in terms of their output, but they were ahead of their time and are probably underrated in terms of impact and influence on music that followed (particularly, Nu Metal).

FNM trivia. Did you know that Jim Martin played in a band called Trauma with bassist Cliff Burton prior to him leaving for Metallica? Did you know that Courtney Love was in the early incarnations of Faith No More (then called The Faith No More)?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Bull

Post by Bull »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:35 pm
Night Train wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:42 pm Is Faith No More underrated? I've been listening to them a lot lately and it seems they're always just under everyone's radar when discussing 'best...' lists or threads.
Their pre-Mike Patton stuff is trash. The Real Thing is a fun album, but it really sounds dated now. Angel Dust is phenomenal. King for a Day is pretty good. Album of the Year is forgettable. Their reunion album didn't do much for me.

I think they could have been more if they had kept the lineup of Mike Bordin, Roddy Bottom, Jim Martin, and Billy Gould together longer. That was special. And Mike Patton is amazing and has done all sorts of cool shit, but he didn't focus on FNM enough and they suffered because of it, IMHO. They definitely lost something, IMHO, when Jim Martin left the band after Angel Dust.

I don't think they're underrated in terms of their output, but they were ahead of their time and are probably underrated in terms of impact and influence on music that followed (particularly, Nu Metal).

FNM trivia. Did you know that Jim Martin played in a band called Trauma with bassist Cliff Burton prior to him leaving for Metallica? Did you know that Courtney Love was in the early incarnations of Faith No More (then called The Faith No More)?
^This guy Faith No Mores.
mlhouse wrote: Donald Trump was teh most successful one term President in the history of the United States.
Bull

Post by Bull »

RC3 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:46 pm Cinderella
Spoiler:
not kidding
I celebrate their entire catalog.