Running Ethernet Froobs

General topics
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Running Ethernet Froobs

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:26 am

Doing it myself is not an option.

Has anyone had ethernet run through their house? Are there companies will do this? DO I find a tech who moonlights on Craigslist?

Comcast basically told me to fuck off.
I haven't even begun to peak.

Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Re: Running Ethernet Froobs

Post by Ask Not » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:30 am

???
It's all bluetooth and ball bearings these days.

Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:32 am

Mandatory - Dominus wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:26 am

Has anyone had ethernet run through their house? Are there companies will do this? DO I find a tech who moonlights on Craigslist?

I've heard of Ethernet, does this help?

anthony

Post by anthony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 am

you can probably find someone who does this but unless you have access to crawl spaces above or below your house, retrofitting cable runs is no easy task. You have to cut holes in your wall and fish the cable through wall studs and what not.

Wifi is your best solution.

Mizuno Man
***Official Gibby Award Winner - February 2019***

Post by Mizuno Man » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 am

I use a Motorola MG7550 cable modem / WIFI hub....work good!! ethernet cable...I run that at work...not at home. 7 cents a foot.
༼ つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ༽つ

Mizuno Man
***Official Gibby Award Winner - February 2019***

Post by Mizuno Man » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:45 am

I would call a licensed bonded and insured low voltage union electrician to make sure the job was done right.....I watch it though...I here those guys cost a pretty penny.
༼ つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ༽つ

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:55 am

anthony wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 am

you can probably find someone who does this but unless you have access to crawl spaces above or below your house, retrofitting cable runs is no easy task. You have to cut holes in your wall and fish the cable through wall studs and what not.

Wifi is your best solution.
My problem is my wifi sucks. For whatever reason when they built the place they put the main internet port in one of the freaking bedrooms. I've been told they can't put it anyplace else. I don't know if it's true, I guess I have to figure that out. But the issue is the wifi by the time it reaches the basement is shit! I've had enough!

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:56 am

Mizuno Man wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:45 am

I would call a licensed bonded and insured low voltage union electrician to make sure the job was done right.....I watch it though...I here those guys cost a pretty penny.
I'll look into it. I'd pay a couple hundred bucks if it was done right.

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:56 am

I've run it in my basement but it was done post framing, pre drywall. Retroactively might be a pain and expensive.

Has anyone tried the powerline Ethernet over your eletrical system plug in blocks? Might be an alternative.

anthony

Post by anthony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:00 am

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:56 am
Mizuno Man wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:45 am

I'll look into it. I'd pay a couple hundred bucks if it was done right.
I'd expect it to cost more in the thousands of dollars. Get some wifi bridges or wifi extenders.

Badbeat

Post by Badbeat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:15 am

you can't hardly blame us now can you???

you might try wifi extenders.. we sell xfi pods or just buy them on the open market. they do really work (from what I have heard)

Herky

Post by Herky » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 am

Nancy Jr wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:30 am
???
It's all bluetooth and ball bearings these days.
Check the bypass line first.

Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:38 am

maybe buying a new house would be easier

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:55 am

Badbeat wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:15 am

you might try wifi extenders.. we sell xfi pods or just buy them on the open market. they do really work (from what I have heard)
I think we discussed this before.. but I forget our conversation. Can you point me in the right direction?

My internet is just fucked.. it constantly goes out throughout the day and the speeds are so low sometimes I can't even watch Netflix. Online gaming is completely out of the question. Is there anything I can do about this or am I just fucked? I've called customer service and they basically tell me there are no outages and tough shit.. After 4-5 years of this I'm really to the point where I'm so beat down it makes me depressed just to think about it.

I'd pay extra for someone to come and take this seriously and figure out the issues, but I feel like Comcast just doesn't care. I'm desperate.

anthony

Post by anthony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:02 am

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:55 am
Badbeat wrote:

I think we discussed this before.. but I forget our conversation. Can you point me in the right direction?

My internet is just fucked.. it constantly goes out throughout the day and the speeds are so low sometimes I can't even watch Netflix. Online gaming is completely out of the question. Is there anything I can do about this or am I just fucked? I've called customer service and they basically tell me there are no outages and tough shit.. After 4-5 years of this I'm really to the point where I'm so beat down it makes me depressed just to think about it.

I'd pay extra for someone to come and take this seriously and figure out the issues, but I feel like Comcast just doesn't care. I'm desperate.
Wifi routers can go bad. I'd replace your router first to see if things stabilize a bit. Then I'd look into wifi repeaters.

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:05 am

anthony wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:02 am
Badbeat wrote:

Wifi routers can go bad. I'd replace your router first to see if things stabilize a bit. Then I'd look into wifi repeaters.
I just bought one over the summer. Things got a little better. But this is definitely an ongoing connection issue that Comcast just doesn't care about or at least won't take seriously.

My internet is fucked.. and people just don't understand how bad it is.

anthony

Post by anthony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 am

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:05 am
anthony wrote:

I just bought one over the summer. Things got a little better. But this is definitely an ongoing connection issue that Comcast just doesn't care about or at least won't take seriously.
Does it get better if you plug directly into your router?

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:09 am

anthony wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 am
anthony wrote:

Somewhat.. I have a two part issue. The connection is fucked.. so to maximize what I do have I want to run the Ethernet. Where the router is now, it has a hard time getting a good enough signal to the rest of the house and what I do get is so degraded all I can do is basically browse on a tablet or phone, until it totally drops out every other hour. I tried wifi extenders a few years ago and they didn't work at all.. like the actually couldn't connect to each other.

boo

Post by boo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:10 am

Get a mesh wireless setup. They work great and are easy to setup. I have ORBi and it's been perfect. Eero is another option.

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:14 am

anthony wrote:

Have you tried putting your dink in the router and/or USB?
And did we tell you the name of the game, boy. We call it Riding the Gravy Train

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:17 am

Tommy_Hawk wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:14 am
anthony wrote:

Have you tried putting your dink in the router and/or USB?
First thing I tried.. obviously!

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 am

boo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:10 am
Get a mesh wireless setup. They work great and are easy to setup. I have ORBi and it's been perfect. Eero is another option.
Price? Is this legit fleshed out tech? I've heard of it but I can't afford another let down on this issue.

boo

Post by boo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:22 am

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 am
boo wrote:
Price? Is this legit fleshed out tech? I've heard of it but I can't afford another let down on this issue.
It's legit, been out for a few years now. Price will depend on the amount of extenders you need. The range of the base unit is a lot better than my previous WIFI routers, so I probably didn't need any, but I put one in my basement and I never drop and I haven't had to reboot it since I got it. Think I got it for around $230 with one extender.

It's nice cause if you want, you can even plug ethernet into the extender if you don't have a wifi card.

anthony

Post by anthony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 am

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:09 am
anthony wrote:

Somewhat.. I have a two part issue. The connection is fucked.. so to maximize what I do have I want to run the Ethernet. Where the router is now, it has a hard time getting a good enough signal to the rest of the house and what I do get is so degraded all I can do is basically browse on a tablet or phone, until it totally drops out every other hour. I tried wifi extenders a few years ago and they didn't work at all.. like the actually couldn't connect to each other.
I'm surprised they won't send a tech out to diagnose the line? If you insist on having the signal tested they should send someone out at your cost but it sounds like that's where you need to start. If the problem is not on your end you shouldn't get charged.

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:25 am

anthony wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 am
anthony wrote:

I'm surprised they won't send a tech out to diagnose the line? If you insist on having the signal tested they should send someone out at your cost but it sounds like that's where you need to start. If the problem is not on your end you shouldn't get charged.
My worry is that it's on my end but not my fault. Like, they tell me that's just the way it is and I'm fucked.

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:26 am

boo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:22 am
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 am
boo wrote:
It's legit, been out for a few years now. Price will depend on the amount of extenders you need. The range of the base unit is a lot better than my previous WIFI routers, so I probably didn't need any, but I put one in my basement and I never drop and I haven't had to reboot it since I got it. Think I got it for around $230 with one extender.

It's nice cause if you want, you can even plug ethernet into the extender if you don't have a wifi card.
I will attempt to diagnose with Comcast again then look into this option for a long term solution.

anthony

Post by anthony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:31 am

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:25 am
anthony wrote:

My worry is that it's on my end but not my fault. Like, they tell me that's just the way it is and I'm fucked.
if you're convinced the connection is at least part of the problem, you'll need a service tech to fix it. Maybe you need to install a UPS for your wifi device? If you've got bad electricity to your router it could wear them out prematurely.

Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:34 am

Comcast is like AT&T. They have way better deals and/or equipment, butt unless you have a problem, you don't even know they exist. You can get Comcast service for $4.99/month (as of a year+ ago). You make your service call, they come out, make all the updates and get you on the latest equipment and you cancel the service the next day. It was a Comcast service person who told me to do this. We've had really good wifi since, after being spotty for years.

Lubing up your USB port for needed entry should also take place at some point.

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:36 am

anthony wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:31 am
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:25 am
anthony wrote:

if you're convinced the connection is at least part of the problem, you'll need a service tech to fix it. Maybe you need to install a UPS for your wifi device? If you've got bad electricity to your router it could wear them out prematurely.
I'm convinced.. but I just don't know what I can do when Comcast tells me everything looks fine. I think part of the deal is that I'm the last home on a string of 4 townhomes.. so by the time it gets to me it's degraded. Nothing I can do about that I assume.

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:40 am

Nancy Jr wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:34 am
Comcast is like AT&T. They have way better deals and/or equipment, butt unless you have a problem, you don't even know they exist. You can get Comcast service for $4.99/month (as of a year+ ago). You make your service call, they come out, make all the updates and get you on the latest equipment and you cancel the service the next day. It was a Comcast service person who told me to do this. We've had really good wifi since, after being spotty for years.

Lubing up your USB port for needed entry should also take place at some point.
What do you mean by equipment?