Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase
Posts: 2318
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by hategreenticemase » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:59 pm

8 straight AFC title game appearances or 28-10 post season record.

Everyone had him dead and buried. 41 years old. Incredible.

Why Not Us
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by Why Not Us » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm

If not for 2 lucky catches by Giants players he has 7 Super Bowl titles.

For reference on Brady's 28-10 postseason record, the Vikings have a 20-29 postseason record.

User avatar
Hornets
Posts: 8216
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by Hornets » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:43 pm

Pretty sure Chiefs beat the Pats, but wouldn't it be awesome to see Brady vs Brees in the SB?

User avatar
BBG
Posts: 7017
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by BBG » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:05 pm

I thought he was losing his edge?

Bleeds Purple
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by Bleeds Purple » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:11 pm

By contrast, Super QB (according to some Froobs) Kirk D. Cousins is 0 - 1 in the post season after 7 seasons in the NFL. The great thing is, "He's worth every penny spent on him!"

PurpleFloyd
Posts: 5843
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:58 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by PurpleFloyd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Why Not Us wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm
If not for 2 lucky catches by Giants players he has 7 Super Bowl titles.

For reference on Brady's 28-10 postseason record, the Vikings have a 20-29 postseason record.
True but if not for the tuck rule and his kicker he would have less.

hategreenticemase
Posts: 2318
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by hategreenticemase » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Correction - new most impressive stat.

Excluding the year he got season ending injury first game, in his 17 seasons he has played in the AFC title game 13 times in 17 years.

They were messing around with this on ESPN - Brady is more likely to play in AFC title game than most accurate passer in history is to complete a pass. Cant. Make. It. Up. :lol:

User avatar
CasualObserverGuy
Posts: 2292
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by CasualObserverGuy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Hornets wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:43 pm
Pretty sure Chiefs beat the Pats, but wouldn't it be awesome to see Brady vs Brees in the SB?
Only if before the game they make a public declaration that the winner will retire. Then that would be must watch TV.
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.

User avatar
CasualObserverGuy
Posts: 2292
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by CasualObserverGuy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:13 pm

hategreenticemase wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 pm
Correction - new most impressive stat.

Excluding the year he got season ending injury first game, in his 17 seasons he has played in the AFC title game 13 times in 17 years.

They were messing around with this on ESPN - Brady is more likely to play in AFC title game than most accurate passer in history is to complete a pass. Cant. Make. It. Up. :lol:
Helps to have a crappy division... makes it easier to try and get the #1 or #2 seed.

EDIT, further data... TB12 has a 79.4 win% against AFC East, and a 75.4 win% against everyone else. Now, the Patriots/TB12 are good, don't get me wrong, but that extra 0.64 wins/season helps ensure that bye. So he essentially has a 76.0 win% at home in January to get to the AFCC. Not that unreasonable. It's the annual regular season dominance that is most impressive.
Last edited by CasualObserverGuy on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.

User avatar
B-Town
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:14 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by B-Town » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:18 pm

BBG wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:05 pm
I thought he was losing his edge?
The Patriots lost their touch in like 2012 or sometime around that.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!

User avatar
BBG
Posts: 7017
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by BBG » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 pm

B-Town wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:18 pm
BBG wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:05 pm
I thought he was losing his edge?
The Patriots lost their touch in like 2012 or sometime around that.
Image

hategreenticemase
Posts: 2318
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by hategreenticemase » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:35 pm

CasualObserverGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:11 pm
Hornets wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:43 pm
Pretty sure Chiefs beat the Pats, but wouldn't it be awesome to see Brady vs Brees in the SB?
Only if before the game they make a public declaration that the winner will retire. Then that would be must watch TV.
Wouldn't it be better if the loser had to retire?

salamander
Posts: 4775
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by salamander » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:47 pm

BBG wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:05 pm
I thought he was losing his edge?
He is. Post season Tom just has a massive edge.
The Pohlads are the worst owner in all of sports.

User avatar
BBG
Posts: 7017
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by BBG » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 pm

salamander wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:47 pm
BBG wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:05 pm
I thought he was losing his edge?
He is. Post season Tom just has a massive edge. dong

User avatar
DonaldDouchebag
Posts: 5664
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:37 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by DonaldDouchebag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:32 pm

BBG wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 pm
salamander wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:47 pm
BBG wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:05 pm
I thought he was losing his edge?
He is. Post season Tom just has a massive edge. dong
Bigger than Big Dick Nick?
Rising Stars MVP

User avatar
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***
Posts: 13910
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by RubeTube » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Why Not Us wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm
If not for 2 lucky catches by Giants players he has 7 Super Bowl titles.

For reference on Brady's 28-10 postseason record, the Vikings have a 20-29 postseason record.
And if not for the Seahawks passing on the goal line and a massive implosion by Atlanta, he would have two less. Works both ways.
I make a phone call my brothas comin' like the Gotti boys
bodies bein' found on Greenleaf
with their fucking heads cut off, motherfucker i'm TUBE

salamander
Posts: 4775
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by salamander » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 pm

BBG wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 pm
salamander wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:47 pm
BBG wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:05 pm
I thought he was losing his edge?
He is. Post season Tom just has a massive edge. dong
Yes. Yes he does.
The Pohlads are the worst owner in all of sports.

salamander
Posts: 4775
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by salamander » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 pm

DonaldDouchebag wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:32 pm
BBG wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 pm
salamander wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:47 pm


He is. Post season Tom just has a massive edge. dong
Bigger than Big Dick Nick?
Yes. Yes he does.
The Pohlads are the worst owner in all of sports.

User avatar
weimy froob
Posts: 13303
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by weimy froob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 pm

belichick is almost unbeatable when he has a couple of weeks to prepare for an afc playoff game. that's what that stat tells me. brady's great-but i think the schemes and gameplans bill comes up in these games is absolutely hhhuuugggeee in all their success. not to mention these games are played in foxboro.

Angry Waters
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by Angry Waters » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm

Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm
Why Not Us wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm
If not for 2 lucky catches by Giants players he has 7 Super Bowl titles.

For reference on Brady's 28-10 postseason record, the Vikings have a 20-29 postseason record.
And if not for the Seahawks passing on the goal line and a massive implosion by Atlanta, he would have two less. Works both ways.
Both are correct! His SB record is probably about what it should be. Which is just friggin' mind-boggling, to be honest. Especially in our sports-starved market. I'm 45 years old. In my lifetime, I'll never again see anything like the run the Belichick/Brady-led Patriots have been on for the last 18 years.

User avatar
bombers3shooter
Posts: 1037
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:23 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by bombers3shooter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:22 pm

The most impressive stat is that with all of his success and GOAT status of NFL history is that he isn't always the breadwinner at home!
Last edited by bombers3shooter on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
weimy froob
Posts: 13303
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by weimy froob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Angry Waters wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm
Why Not Us wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm
If not for 2 lucky catches by Giants players he has 7 Super Bowl titles.

For reference on Brady's 28-10 postseason record, the Vikings have a 20-29 postseason record.
And if not for the Seahawks passing on the goal line and a massive implosion by Atlanta, he would have two less. Works both ways.
Both are correct! His SB record is probably about what it should be. Which is just friggin' mind-boggling, to be honest. Especially in our sports-starved market. I'm 45 years old. In my lifetime, I'll never again see anything like the run the Belichick/Brady-led Patriots have been on for the last 18 years.
it's an amazing run. and the thing is they've never been one of those "blow out the other squad-team for the ages" in the SB. but belichick always has his squad ready to play the game-so they're never out of the games either. i think the SB record is just about right because of those two losses to NY are offset by the improbable atlanta win and the brain-fart by carroll to not run lynch at the goal line. in that one belichick did a terrible job in time management and in the end came out smelling like a rose because of the seahawks outsmarting themselves. worst.play.in.SB.history.ever.

Angry Waters
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by Angry Waters » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:32 pm

weimy froob wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:23 pm
Angry Waters wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm


And if not for the Seahawks passing on the goal line and a massive implosion by Atlanta, he would have two less. Works both ways.
Both are correct! His SB record is probably about what it should be. Which is just friggin' mind-boggling, to be honest. Especially in our sports-starved market. I'm 45 years old. In my lifetime, I'll never again see anything like the run the Belichick/Brady-led Patriots have been on for the last 18 years.
it's an amazing run. and the thing is they've never been one of those "blow out the other squad-team for the ages" in the SB. but belichick always has his squad ready to play the game-so they're never out of the games either. i think the SB record is just about right because of those two losses to NY are offset by the improbable atlanta win and the brain-fart by carroll to not run lynch at the goal line. in that one belichick did a terrible job in time management and in the end came out smelling like a rose because of the seahawks outsmarting themselves. worst.play.in.SB.history.ever.
I'm still a little perplexed over the Malcolm Butler saga last year, too. Still don't know what to make of that and how much effect it had on the game. That was another "coin flip" game, like most (all?) of their Super Bowls. What are your thoughts on the AFC Championship Game? I know the Pats have struggled this season outside of Foxborough, but I think if I were forced to bet on the game, I'd take NE and the points.

User avatar
weimy froob
Posts: 13303
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by weimy froob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Angry Waters wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:32 pm
weimy froob wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:23 pm
Angry Waters wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm

Both are correct! His SB record is probably about what it should be. Which is just friggin' mind-boggling, to be honest. Especially in our sports-starved market. I'm 45 years old. In my lifetime, I'll never again see anything like the run the Belichick/Brady-led Patriots have been on for the last 18 years.
it's an amazing run. and the thing is they've never been one of those "blow out the other squad-team for the ages" in the SB. but belichick always has his squad ready to play the game-so they're never out of the games either. i think the SB record is just about right because of those two losses to NY are offset by the improbable atlanta win and the brain-fart by carroll to not run lynch at the goal line. in that one belichick did a terrible job in time management and in the end came out smelling like a rose because of the seahawks outsmarting themselves. worst.play.in.SB.history.ever.
I'm still a little perplexed over the Malcolm Butler saga last year, too. Still don't know what to make of that and how much effect it had on the game. That was another "coin flip" game, like most (all?) of their Super Bowls. What are your thoughts on the AFC Championship Game? I know the Pats have struggled this season outside of Foxborough, but I think if I were forced to bet on the game, I'd take NE and the points.
yep. in the year that denver went to the SB and beat the panthers-the patriots went on the road and woulda coulda shoulda won that game. not a game i'd like to play though-because i just can't find it in me to pull for the patriots. i'd have to bet it the other way. :mrgreen:

andy reid has an 800 lb. gorilla on his back and to try to get that off against the patriots seems to be a tall task. i wish him luck though.

User avatar
DonaldDouchebag
Posts: 5664
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:37 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by DonaldDouchebag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Big Dick Nick is more fun to say than Big Dong Tom.
Rising Stars MVP

User avatar
Gork
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:35 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by Gork » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Not taking anything from Tommy Two Guns but that offensive line was pretty impressive. He had all day to throw against Bosa and Ingram

User avatar
weimy froob
Posts: 13303
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by weimy froob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Gork wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 pm
Not taking anything from Tommy Two Guns but that offensive line was pretty impressive. He had all day to throw against Bosa and Ingram
yep. i knew that game was over after the third drive and i saw that they weren't going to get any pressure on him. what a letdown. i changed the channel. at least spielman, zimmer and co. see what kind of offensive line play you need to thump a playoff opponent. one that was relentless with the rush just a week before.

User avatar
Hector
Posts: 1446
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:06 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by Hector » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:26 pm

Gork wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 pm
Not taking anything from Tommy Two Guns but that offensive line was pretty impressive. He had all day to throw against Bosa and Ingram
Funny how they lose Solder and then all of a sudden this cast off 7th round pick LT that the Patriots gave up a fourth rounder for is part of a dominant line.

I think a lot of the Patriots success is scheme flexibility. That Erhardt Perkins system was founded in New England and nobody has ever grasped it like TB12. If he starts getting pressure, he goes hurry up...bye bye pressure. If the other team sits back in coverage, here comes the run game. You pretty much just pick which way you want to lose.

PurpleFloyd
Posts: 5843
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:58 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by PurpleFloyd » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:57 pm

CasualObserverGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:13 pm
hategreenticemase wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 pm
Correction - new most impressive stat.

Excluding the year he got season ending injury first game, in his 17 seasons he has played in the AFC title game 13 times in 17 years.

They were messing around with this on ESPN - Brady is more likely to play in AFC title game than most accurate passer in history is to complete a pass. Cant. Make. It. Up. :lol:
Helps to have a crappy division... makes it easier to try and get the #1 or #2 seed.

EDIT, further data... TB12 has a 79.4 win% against AFC East, and a 75.4 win% against everyone else. Now, the Patriots/TB12 are good, don't get me wrong, but that extra 0.64 wins/season helps ensure that bye. So he essentially has a 76.0 win% at home in January to get to the AFCC. Not that unreasonable. It's the annual regular season dominance that is most impressive.
Still. That percentage is still amazing over that period of time.

PurpleFloyd
Posts: 5843
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:58 am

Re: Most impressive stat of the GOAT?

Post by PurpleFloyd » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Hector wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:26 pm
Gork wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 pm
Not taking anything from Tommy Two Guns but that offensive line was pretty impressive. He had all day to throw against Bosa and Ingram
Funny how they lose Solder and then all of a sudden this cast off 7th round pick LT that the Patriots gave up a fourth rounder for is part of a dominant line.

I think a lot of the Patriots success is scheme flexibility. That Erhardt Perkins system was founded in New England and nobody has ever grasped it like TB12. If he starts getting pressure, he goes hurry up...bye bye pressure. If the other team sits back in coverage, here comes the run game. You pretty much just pick which way you want to lose.
His benefit was having the greatest defensive mind in history to learn from. From early on they would sit and break down film and opponents and Bill would tell Tom how to attack defenses and where the weaknesses were and they became a coach/ QB combo that has been pretty unstoppable sans a few Eli Manning miracles.

Post Reply