Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Ideal PG for this roster

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: Ideal PG for this roster

Post by somuchyummy »

so here's my latest thought for the PG thing. and it still involves satoransky.

if the wizards' aren't successful in signing him to an extension now and he goes into free agency this summer - we go all in to get him. he's our main target in free agency - and becomes our starter.

we look for a trade partner for derrick rose (and successfully deal him). i love a lot of what rose has brought to the team - but think he's still going to be limited by his chassis at this point - he works SO hard to keep his body going and still will probably miss 20+ games this year. the best we should look for is to sell high while he's still showing the world what he's got and before he has another major issue.

if jeff teague takes his PO and stays, we demote him to the primary PG backup - but change his role into much of what rose did as a sparkplug scorer. i think teague could do this - when he's asked to manage an offense it feels like we're square pegging a round hole. he's forced to think too hard. still look for a trade partner because someone may be willing to give us some value for his expiring, especially if they need the services of a PG who has started more often than not.

for this reason, it might be good to resign tyus - but only if it's for a very reasonable sum. if he's asking for a ton, let someone else deal with his deficiencies at that higher price. but.... if we can keep him, he becomes the primary backup to sato once we find a trade partner for teague.

see what we've got in terrell for the rest of the season. i don't mean a lot of minutes - but anything that bayless is getting now, we should just throw terrell's way. maybe he'll show enough to stick around as a third point, maybe not. at least we'll have game evidence either way.

as for bayless, we try to move his expiring this year for a 2nd rounder - something between 33 and 42ish. there's some decent draftability there - plus a few teams in that zone who are dealing with 3 or 4 picks this year - so some cap relief may appeal more than adding a 3rd or 4th body.

sato - teague - tyus (or possibly terrell)
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
T_J

Post by T_J »

From Zach Lowe today on Lowry:
Lowry is going out of his way to defer to Leonard, to the point that you wonder if he is following some organizational fiat or throwing a mini-tantrum -- or both. But he's second overall in assists, and has resolved to propel his teammates -- particularly Ibaka, thriving as a center thanks to Lowry's pinpoint pocket passes.
Derozan was like his bff. Perhaps despite having a chance to win the east, he isn't too happy with Leonard's ball dominance. Can we work a Teague/Lowry based trade swap somehow? 33m dollar deal expires after next year.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Hornets wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:30 pm OK....some of you just aren't listening....

Wiggy will always be lazy and will NOT develop into a star, and his contract is a killa.

Tyus is a nice little backup PG, but IS NOT and WILL NOT ever turn into a starting PG.
And KAT is a low endurance, low stamina player.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

salamander wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:48 pm
Hornets wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:30 pm OK....some of you just aren't listening....

Wiggy will always be lazy and will NOT develop into a star, and his contract is a killa.

Tyus is a nice little backup PG, but IS NOT and WILL NOT ever turn into a starting PG.
And KAT is a low endurance, low stamina player.
Well, you're not wrong...
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

Woj:
For first time, Memphis will begin listening to trade offers on franchise stars Marc Gasol and Mike Conley, league sources tell ESPN. Memphis has reached a crossroads and is preparing to weigh deals involving one or both of its cornerstone veterans. Story soon on ESPN.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Dubs wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:36 pm Woj:
For first time, Memphis will begin listening to trade offers on franchise stars Marc Gasol and Mike Conley, league sources tell ESPN. Memphis has reached a crossroads and is preparing to weigh deals involving one or both of its cornerstone veterans. Story soon on ESPN.
Done deal, do it.
Spoiler:
Whats the deal?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Seriously though, who would have predicted Conley have the better career over Oden.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Jones brother's combo

Tyus Starting, draft Tre Jones to back up
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:50 pm Jones brother's combo

Please no. Send Eddie Munster packing after this year. Go get a legit PG.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:34 pm

Some people just don’t understand what a PG should do. The Wolves were better tonight with Bayless being serviceable than with Rose trying to go for 30 or with Teague doing whatever the fuck he’s been doing since he got here.

Start Tyus when he’s healthy, Bayless plays backup - give the bench kid some run as well. Rose is 6th Man, and gets extended minutes when he is hot. He may have his best trade value for the Wolves right now.

Teague, trade him or just stop playing him so that he will sign somewhere else just so he can play next season.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:18 am

Some people just don’t understand what a PG should do. The Wolves were better tonight with Bayless being serviceable than with Rose trying to go for 30 or with Teague doing whatever the fuck he’s been doing since he got here.

Start Tyus when he’s healthy, Bayless plays backup - give the bench kid some run as well. Rose is 6th Man, and gets extended minutes when he is hot. He may have his best trade value for the Wolves right now.

Teague, trade him or just stop playing him so that he will sign somewhere else just so he can play next season.

you do realize we were playing the worst team in the league missing their three best players, right? jerryd bayless has value for us perhaps as an expiring contract - maybe. but annointing him our backup PG after one decent game against phoenix is a bit premature. yea! he made 4 threes! boo! he missed another 7 threes! there's probably a reason he was so roundly booed by sixers fans every time he touched the ball when we played philly a couple games back.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

LordNu wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 pm Seriously though, who would have predicted Conley have the better career over Oden.
Everyone.....Oden was busted up in HS, his future was not bright in the slightest.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Ja Morant!
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:42 am
jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:18 am

you do realize we were playing the worst team in the league missing their three best players, right? jerryd bayless has value for us perhaps as an expiring contract - maybe. but annointing him our backup PG after one decent game against phoenix is a bit premature. yea! he made 4 threes! boo! he missed another 7 threes! there's probably a reason he was so roundly booed by sixers fans every time he touched the ball when we played philly a couple games back.
Just like there are System QB’s there are System PG’s.

Some PG’s look decent in some systems and some look awful in some systems. Flip was always a PG’s coach, hopefully Ryan is of the same mold.

Yes the competition is a huge factor as well. For a vet PG he showed he could be serviceable. We don’t need great out of the position - we need SMART!!!
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:22 am Ja Morant!
Spoiler:
Jorah Mormont is what you meant right?
T_J

Post by T_J »

What will D'angelo Russell get this summer? He'll be a RFA.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

T_J wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 am What will D'angelo Russell get this summer? He'll be a RFA.
Brooklyn is winning and largely because of him. No way they let him go.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

T_J wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 am What will D'angelo Russell get this summer? He'll be a RFA.
I wish we would of traded Butler there in that rumored deal for him. Nets didn't want to deal though.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

digitalwolf wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:00 am
LordNu wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 pm Seriously though, who would have predicted Conley have the better career over Oden.
Everyone.....Oden was busted up in HS, his future was not bright in the slightest.
Dude... The guy wen no.1 and was touted as being the next Bill Russell. Nobody thought that his knees would be that bad. If you went back to the old KFAN board and looked at what we were saying, you wouldn't get one person saying Conley would end up with a better career.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Tim Frazier, though not ideal, is a gettable FA and quite the all-around player.

Wouldn’t mind seeing him on the squad for cheap next year.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Tyus/Tre Jones combo
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Our PG situation is bleak.

Not a huge Tyus guy but I'm willing to give him a shot at this point. Someone had a stat about Tyus and (was it Okogie) when on the floor our defensive rating was something insanely better.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

LordNu wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:48 pm
Dude... The guy wen no.1 and was touted as being the next Bill Russell. Nobody thought that his knees would be that bad. If you went back to the old KFAN board and looked at what we were saying, you wouldn't get one person saying Conley would end up with a better career.
I was a bandwagon fan for Ohio St in 06-07, Gophers were terrible and fired their coach immediately so I went OSU. Oden was hurt right away but then dominated the rest of the season.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:21 pm
I wish we would of traded Butler there in that rumored deal for him. Nets didn't want to deal though.
I believe the Nets were willing to do Russell and Hollis-Jefferson for Butler. Russell has blown up since of course.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

Um not true I know for a fact I was that one guy... I also like Kanter over Derrick Williams... but never fear I've made some bad calls as well... at least I was right on those two.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

Ja Morant I think is out of our reach even with a trade but still love me some poor mans Kyrie in Darius Garland.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:41 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:21 pm
I believe the Nets were willing to do Russell and Hollis-Jefferson for Butler. Russell has blown up since of course.
While I haven't been a Russell fan I thought trading for him made sense and like you said of course he's now the man.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Is Jason Kidd available?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Joboo wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:43 am

Um not true I know for a fact I was that one guy... I also like Kanter over Derrick Williams... but never fear I've made some bad calls as well... at least I was right on those two.
If true, nice. Conley Jr and Daequan Cook both came out with Oden and I remember there was some surprise for both of those guys but obviously Conley had a bright future. Oden had major, major hype though. Conley was his sidekick in hs and college and while highly rated coming out of HS, the lights were always on Oden.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

j2j wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:52 am Is Jason Kidd available?
HC? :thinking: