Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by somuchyummy »

the stage really seemed too big for him. deer in the headlights half the time. and it'll make his stock drop - and that (IMO at least) means that guys i'd rather draft (white, garland, clarke) might all move ahead of culver and get picked before we get to them. hunter absolutely nailed down his spot in the top ten. culver meh. arggh.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Thoughts on this mock? I follow Wasserman on twitter per doogie's recommendation.

All three pgs gone by pick 10. Interesting to see Garland's stock way up.

PJ Washington or Bol Bol would be interesting at 10, for me at least.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/282 ... tournament
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
norseman79

Post by norseman79 »

Nickeil Alexander-Walker, kid is growing on me as PG option depending on how lottery goes. Comped to Dejuante Murray and SGA and a nice compliment to Wiggins. Others thoughts on NAW?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I’d take Brandon clarke from Gonzaga.

High energy, above the rim player who doesn’t need the ball to effect the game.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:16 am I’d take Brandon clarke from Gonzaga.

that's why we've got to stay pat with where we're at in the standings. i think clarke might be available to us - he'd be a great pick - but if we drop a slot because we win out, he could be gone. i think it'll be that close.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Consensus guys who are gone?

Zion
Morant
Reddish
Barrett
Hunter

anyone else? I think White from UNC is for sure gone by 10. Culver probably too.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:57 pm Consensus guys who are gone?

Zion
Morant
Reddish
Barrett
Hunter

anyone else? I think White from UNC is for sure gone by 10. Culver probably too.
Culver looked like crap in the final 4. He’s not a lock for the top 8
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:52 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:16 am I’d take Brandon clarke from Gonzaga.

that's why we've got to stay pat with where we're at in the standings. i think clarke might be available to us - he'd be a great pick - but if we drop a slot because we win out, he could be gone. i think it'll be that close.
Wolves pulled towns out for tonight already
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:56 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:57 pm Consensus guys who are gone?

Zion
Morant
Reddish
Barrett
Hunter

Culver looked like crap in the final 4. He’s not a lock for the top 8
Didn't look too great but had some good moments too. He passes the eye test.... to get drafted high. How high I'm not sure though, doubt he's available at 10.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Man this draft is brutal! Really after Zion and Morant, I don't like much else.

The Duke group is insanely overrated.

I think Morant ends up being better than Zion at the NBA level.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:52 pm

I'd be very surprised if he went within the top 15.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:15 pm Man this draft is brutal! Really after Zion and Morant, I don't like much else.

The Duke group is insanely overrated.

I think Morant ends up being better than Zion at the NBA level.
I agree. Would absolutely love to see the Wolves get lucky at the #2 spot.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Nbadraft.net has the Wolves taking Nasir Little, 6’6” SF from North Carolina
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Bob Wiley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:25 pm Nbadraft.net has the Wolves taking Nasir Little, 6’6” SF from North Carolina
No they don't. Their mock doesn't take team needs into account until right before the draft.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Lottery is 14 May.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

So Zion is considered a PF not SF??? Where the hell have I been?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Wolves are about to enter the draft lottery for the 19th time in 30 years. They've made the playoffs 9 of those seasons. Now that's some dedication to incompetence. We all know that they've never moved up. Could this be the year that they get a top 3 pick by actually having some luck?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

if they do land the third, i'd hope they'd trade back. barrett does nothing for me. let's add another high volume shooting wing from canada to the team. right. if we could trade back somehow and land both one of the top PGs and top PFs, that would be the holy deal.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:17 am if they do land the third, i'd hope they'd trade back. barrett does nothing for me. let's add another high volume shooting wing from canada to the team. right. if we could trade back somehow and land both one of the top PGs and top PFs, that would be the holy deal.
Trading back doesn't happen too much for multiple picks. Identify the guy you want at 3 and then start talking to the teams behind you and find out who they want. Now.... Roy/Foye tells you it doesn't always work well.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

LordNu wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:10 pm So Zion is considered a PF not SF??? Where the hell have I been?
Both.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 pm the stage really seemed too big for him. deer in the headlights half the time. and it'll make his stock drop - and that (IMO at least) means that guys i'd rather draft (white, garland, clarke) might all move ahead of culver and get picked before we get to them. hunter absolutely nailed down his spot in the top ten. culver meh. arggh.
Come on dude. every year before the tourney we talk about how it's fun to watch guys play each other and we cheer for guys we like to get more games to watch. But no one moves anywhere during the tourney other than big jumps up that always prove to be stupid.

You really think scouts are now down on Culver because he didn't shoot well in the final 4? You think they are gonna go with your opinion that he folds in the big moment? Were none of the prior games big moments? Fighting for the Big 12 title? Big 12 tourney? Getting them to that thing.............oh, the final 4. Or do you think that maybe they all know it;'s really hard to shoot in a football dome? That he is the one good offensive player on his team and faced probably the 2 best defensive coaches in all of college ball? He goes before our pick 100%
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:17 am if they do land the third, i'd hope they'd trade back. barrett does nothing for me. let's add another high volume shooting wing from canada to the team. right. if we could trade back somehow and land both one of the top PGs and top PFs, that would be the holy deal.
Holy crap do you need to take a breath and go watch some youtube for a day. Barret will be a superstar. SUPERSTAR! You want to trade back from him OK. It better be for a king's ransom.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:36 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 pm the stage really seemed too big for him. deer in the headlights half the time. and it'll make his stock drop - and that (IMO at least) means that guys i'd rather draft (white, garland, clarke) might all move ahead of culver and get picked before we get to them. hunter absolutely nailed down his spot in the top ten. culver meh. arggh.
Come on dude. every year before the tourney we talk about how it's fun to watch guys play each other and we cheer for guys we like to get more games to watch. But no one moves anywhere during the tourney other than big jumps up that always prove to be stupid.

You really think scouts are now down on Culver because he didn't shoot well in the final 4? You think they are gonna go with your opinion that he folds in the big moment? Were none of the prior games big moments? Fighting for the Big 12 title? Big 12 tourney? Getting them to that thing.............oh, the final 4. Or do you think that maybe they all know it;'s really hard to shoot in a football dome? That he is the one good offensive player on his team and faced probably the 2 best defensive coaches in all of college ball? He goes before our pick 100%
no, i don't think that scouts are going to "go with my opinion" - what do you think, i'm that delusional? it was just my opinion watching the final four that culver didn't jump out at me like a can't miss guy. and since the final, i've read a couple pieces that echoed that uncertainty about his place in the draft now. along the line "he might not be a number 4, maybe a number 8" kind of thing. but yeah, that's still ahead of us.

as for barrett, call me crazy but i really want to plug the holes in our team - and i think they resoundingly lie at the point and the 4. another volume scorer at the wing doesn't move the needle for me - and i'm not convinced he's the shit. if others are convinced he's the shit, then yeah - i'd listen to offers and maybe we could get a king's ransom.

bigger question is: what if we move up to the four? a MUCH less certain spot for how it's going to play out. just take garland and call it a day? or try to wrangle some sort of deal?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:48 am
LordNu wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:10 pm So Zion is considered a PF not SF??? Where the hell have I been?
Both.
Don't want a tweener.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:01 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:36 pm

no, i don't think that scouts are going to "go with my opinion" - what do you think, i'm that delusional? it was just my opinion watching the final four that culver didn't jump out at me like a can't miss guy. and since the final, i've read a couple pieces that echoed that uncertainty about his place in the draft now. along the line "he might not be a number 4, maybe a number 8" kind of thing. but yeah, that's still ahead of us.

as for barrett, call me crazy but i really want to plug the holes in our team - and i think they resoundingly lie at the point and the 4. another volume scorer at the wing doesn't move the needle for me - and i'm not convinced he's the shit. if others are convinced he's the shit, then yeah - i'd listen to offers and maybe we could get a king's ransom.

bigger question is: what if we move up to the four? a MUCH less certain spot for how it's going to play out. just take garland and call it a day? or try to wrangle some sort of deal?
Umm.......you said that Culver was going to drop because................of what you stated as your opinion. I didn't mean they would call you on the phone. SHARE your opinion. Which they won't.

Barrett you said doesn't impress you. Not that he doesn't fit. I don't want another wing either but if you don't get a crazy good offer for him you still have to take him. The difference between him and anyone 4 on down is freakin huge.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Well, looks like we are #10. Not bad at all. Gives us a shot at a PG actually falling to us. Still wouldn't put the odds of that at more than maybe 40% but that's better than the no chance 13 or 14 would have given us.

With no PG there still are some solid trade down targets. Worst case (not bad at all) we will get the top pick of our favorite bigs. All in all not bad. Now let's win that lotto and make this all pointless.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

yeah, ten's not so bad. i'm certainly not waiting anxiously for any improbable rise to the holy grail of 1 thru 4. do we have any chance to drop, or doesn't it work that way? anyway, i'm banking on 10th.

i don't think either of garland or white will be there - but i'll be thrilled with clarke (assuming we're smart and take him). it does complicate life on the back end though trying to find PG meat in the middle of the 2nd round. i don't see anything there that i find that appealing - except dosumnu - and i have a feeling if he gets the vibe that he'll last till the 40s, he'll just opt to return to school. maybe roach. a pure shooter like cam johnson or dylan windler might be an option, but i think both of them will be gone by then too. we could always double down on post D and take konate if he's still there. (i'd actually love that).

at any rate, this year (if we keep the 2nd rounder - smirk) i'll expect a BPA guy. with the rules that allow players to opt out of the draft, it does create sort of a backsliding effect where guys you see mocked now at the very end of the draft, might wind up on draft night being the best guys available at our low 40s slot. bring on tacko fall!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:23 pm yeah, ten's not so bad. i'm certainly not waiting anxiously for any improbable rise to the holy grail of 1 thru 4. do we have any chance to drop, or doesn't it work that way? anyway, i'm banking on 10th.

i don't think either of garland or white will be there - but i'll be thrilled with clarke (assuming we're smart and take him). it does complicate life on the back end though trying to find PG meat in the middle of the 2nd round. i don't see anything there that i find that appealing - except dosumnu - and i have a feeling if he gets the vibe that he'll last till the 40s, he'll just opt to return to school. maybe roach. a pure shooter like cam johnson or dylan windler might be an option, but i think both of them will be gone by then too. we could always double down on post D and take konate if he's still there. (i'd actually love that).

at any rate, this year (if we keep the 2nd rounder - smirk) i'll expect a BPA guy. with the rules that allow players to opt out of the draft, it does create sort of a backsliding effect where guys you see mocked now at the very end of the draft, might wind up on draft night being the best guys available at our low 40s slot. bring on tacko fall!
What we need more than anything else is if we don't win a top 4 we need 2 of the PG needy teams to be 1 and 3 and take Zion and Barrett. I just don't see another way the other 2 PG's get to 10.

I do see a couple legit trade back opportunities. As always Brooklyn seems obvious as they are creating cap space. They have no legit 3 or 4 and they would probably like to get a future guy at pone of them so they can use some of their cap space on an older vet. SA might also be a club that would lke to turn their 2 lower 1sts into #10.

By the way a ton of super high upside guys have declared. Even though I like our depth I'd love to get that extra pick and take a chance on developing one. If I could assure that Clarke or Doumboya was there at 16-18 I'd do it in a heartbeat. Dosumnu being one of them along with Horton-Tucker, Dort, McDaniels, Hands all have huge upside. Also really love Samanic. He would be a great 1 year stash while we do some more roster tuning.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:22 am Thoughts on this mock? I follow Wasserman on twitter per doogie's recommendation.

All three pgs gone by pick 10. Interesting to see Garland's stock way up.

PJ Washington or Bol Bol would be interesting at 10, for me at least.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/282 ... tournament
Bol Bol at 10 interesting?

:lol:
witljon

Post by witljon »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:57 pm Well, looks like we are #10. Not bad at all. Gives us a shot at a PG actually falling to us. Still wouldn't put the odds of that at more than maybe 40% but that's better than the no chance 13 or 14 would have given us.

With no PG there still are some solid trade down targets. Worst case (not bad at all) we will get the top pick of our favorite bigs. All in all not bad. Now let's win that lotto and make this all pointless.
I wouldn't be shocked if the Wolves have their choice between PGs Garland and White.
Im not as impressed as most here are with them.