Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
salamander

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by salamander »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:38 pm latest nba draft net mock has us taking jarrett culver with our first.
Oh my. PLEASE I hope this happens!

The Dude is an over achiever of the highest order.
He's not scared of shooting contested 3s and he makes them.
He's gone head to head with the most talented and athletic defenders and won in impressive fashion.
The guy has confidence in spades, even when things aren't going his way.
He's a solid team defender even though I wouldn't say he's an elite defender.

There's something about this kid. Effort and Want are off the charts.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

DRAFT EXPRESS ESPN INSIDERS COMBINE WINNERS AND LOSERS

• More top prospects than usual will not have their measurements taken at this year's combine. Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, RJ Barrett, and Darius Garland opted out of the proceedings, and Rui Hachimura, De'Andre Hunter and Matisse Thybulle are not in attendance at all. Even so, there's data available for all of these players from previous settings, and teams will not be fully in the dark even if these prospects do not come in for workouts.

• Tacko Fall may not be the highest-profile prospect at this year's combine, but he warrants special mention since he posted record-breaking numbers. The UCF standout measured 7-foot-7 in shoes (an inch taller than he was listed in college) with an 8-foot-2¼ wingspan and a 10-foot-2½ standing reach that exceed all officially recorded measurements. They are unofficially surpassed only by Manute Bol's alleged 8-foot-6 wingspan and 10-foot-5 standing reach of NBA lore. At this point in league history, there are not a lot of truly anomalous players from a physical perspective, but Fall certainly qualifies as such. Fall had a strong showing at the inaugural G League Elite Camp and was one of the 11 players who moved on to play at the NBA combine. He has a chance to continue to build on that momentum and potentially earn a spot in the second round (or, at minimum, a two-way contract).

• Bol Bol measured impressively -- with similar dimensions to Rudy Gobert -- standing 7-2¼ in shoes with a 7-7 wingspan. However, Bol weighed in at 208 pounds, down considerably from the 234 pounds he weighed at the Nike Basketball Academy last August. Having fractured his foot in December, Bol likely hasn't been able to do much work in the weight room and quickly shed much of the bulk he put on in his time at Oregon, which isn't ideal considering he will be asked to bang with opposing centers in the NBA. Bol likely will never be especially bulky and he is able to rely less heavily on physicality than most big men with his unique scoring touch. But his ability to find a comfortable playing weight that will allow him to hold his own defensively is a point of interest among teams.

• Cam Reddish lived up to expectations and compared favorable to fellow one-and-done prospects such as Jayson Tatum, Andrew Wiggins, and Kevin Knox in the measurements -- standing 6-8 in shoes with a 208-pound frame and a 7-0½ wingspan. Talent has never been the issue with the Duke freshman, and his measurements were well known after he made the rounds in various camps from an early age. But it's a positive for him to remind teams of his unique physical tools. He could be a riser in the pre-draft process as the memory of his disappointing season fades over time, replaced by these kinds of data points and strong pre-draft workouts.

• In contrast, Jarrett Culver exceeded the previous consensus among teams regarding his measurables. He's grown since last year, now standing 6-6¾ with a 6-9½ wingspan and a lean 194-pound frame. That puts the Texas Tech standout in the same class as especially big guards such as Caris LeVert, and he compares favorably to others such as Spencer Dinwiddie and D'Angelo Russell in terms of height and reach. Culver's ability to handle the ball and be a playmaker at that size is unique. It gives him nice upside to grow into as his body fills out and his perimeter shot stabilizes.

• Romeo Langford and Kevin Porter Jr. both posted prototypical numbers for their positions, as expected, with an identical 8-7 standing reach. Porter is marginally smaller than Langford standing 6-5½ in shoes, but his 213-pound frame and 6-10 wingspan falls somewhere between Victor Oladipo and James Harden on the spectrum of strong guards. Langford measured 6-6 in shoes with a 6-11 wingspan that gives him similar dimensions to Jason Richardson and Bogdan Bogdanovic

• Nassir Little measured 6-6 in shoes. His 7-1¼ wingspan and 224-pound frame place him somewhere between Jaylen Brown and Kawhi Leonard in terms of physical comps. Little's length and bulk should allow him to play the power forward position in the NBA with relative ease.

• Jaxson Hayes's physical comparisons are just as impressive as his 6-11½, 219-pound frame and 7-3½ wingspan -- falling somewhere between Tyson Chandler and Clint Capela.

• Brandon Clarke recorded perhaps the most interesting measurements of any player tested this week, given that this is the first time teams are getting their eyes on his official numbers. Standing only 6-8¼ in shoes with an even 6-8¼ wingspan and a 207-pound frame, Clarke has similar dimensions to wing players such as Gordon Hayward, Klay Thompson and Rodney Hood. But that did not stop him from blocking an astonishing 4.3 shots per 40 minutes at Gonzaga last season. His 8-6 standing reach may not fall in step with other comparably versatile defensive forwards such as Draymond Green (8-9) or LeBron James (8-10¼), but it is far from a deal breaker given the potential he showed last season while protecting the rim and locking down several NBA-level guards off of switches.

Finding a real NBA comp for Clarke's measurements -- especially someone who also plays center minutes -- is challenging. The closest ones we can find are DeMarre Carroll (6-7¾, 207 pounds, 6-10 wingspan) and Andre Roberson (6-7, 206 pounds, 6-11 wingspan), and even those aren't exact matches due to their superior length.

• Coby White is another interesting case, as he measured out extremely tall (6-4¾ in shoes) but doesn't have great length (6-5 wingspan, 8-1½ standing reach). His physical comps are nevertheless excellent, partially due to his improved frame (191 pounds), as the likes of Kyrie Irving, CJ McCollum and Malik Beasley have similar dimensions to him.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

salamander wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:38 pm latest nba draft net mock has us taking jarrett culver with our first.

He's gone head to head with the most talented and athletic defenders and won in impressive fashion.

Solid smile too.

j2j

Post by j2j »

No chance Culver drops that far, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Don’t get your hopes up too much. I don’t think there’s any chance Jarrett Culver is there at 11. Most draft guys have him at 4, 5, or at the lowest 6th on their big boards.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Don’t get your hopes up too much. I don’t think there’s any chance Jarrett Culver is there at 11. Most draft guys have him at 4, 5, or at the lowest 6th on their big boards.
The top three, Garland, Culver, Hunter and White are all locks IMO to be gone by 10. I think Reddish is in that group too.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Phx suns are the team that has given Garland a guarantee which is why he left the NBA combine
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

All the questions about Clarke that some folks on WC have are absolutely legitimate. I just don’t think a guy with his basketball iq and athleticism come around at 11 very often. I’m solidly in the Brandon Clarke camp.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:31 pm Phx suns are the team that has given Garland a guarantee which is why he left the NBA combine
Pelicans take him at 4 once they trade AD to the Lakers.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:31 pm Phx suns are the team that has given Garland a guarantee which is why he left the NBA combine
Are you going to post links or give credit fade or just pretend that you have connections to multiple nba teams? :lol: I’m jk obviously but where is this info from?
j2j

Post by j2j »

That's what I assumed as well. Makes the most sense.

Joboo

Post by Joboo »

j2j wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:38 pm
That's what I assumed as well. Makes the most sense.
I knew it was a long shot given how important it has become to have PG's that can shoot but dream was 100% dead yesterday with us getting the 11th.

I could see AD trade that pairs Garland with Zion... worst case though the Suns would take him... even if they pasted the Bulls would grab him... like the real lottery its fun to dream until the numbers pop up.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Do we have an idea of a "Rosas type" player? Are we going to see an offense with a ton of 3 point attempts?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:32 pm All the questions about Clarke that some folks on WC have are absolutely legitimate. I just don’t think a guy with his basketball iq and athleticism come around at 11 very often. I’m solidly in the Brandon Clarke camp.
This could be very true. Assuming Clarke makes it to 11, I am just saying you evaluate the upside of Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Rui Hachimura, and a couple of others.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

mlhouse wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:23 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:32 pm All the questions about Clarke that some folks on WC have are absolutely legitimate. I just don’t think a guy with his basketball iq and athleticism come around at 11 very often. I’m solidly in the Brandon Clarke camp.
This could be very true. Assuming Clarke makes it to 11, I am just saying you evaluate the upside of Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Rui Hachimura, and a couple of others.
Totally agree. And I think there are certainly guys around that have higher upsides than Clarke.
witljon

Post by witljon »

j2j wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:06 pm No chance Culver drops that far, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.
I will not be surprised if Culver goes as high as #3 to the Knicks..
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

barring any draft night drama, i think it's a given that morant, garland and white are all off the board after the bulls pick at 7.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

somuchyummy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:54 pm barring any draft night drama, i think it's a given that morant, garland and white are all off the board after the bulls pick at 7.
Yea, I agree. We’re not going to get a PG at 11. After those 3, I don’t think there is a guy who makes sense at 11.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:38 pm
Are you going to post links or give credit fade or just pretend that you have connections to multiple nba teams? :lol: I’m jk obviously but where is this info from?

Bleacher report so take it for what it is
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

My rankings for who I am hoping/think will possible be there and wants:

1) Coby White (Probably Gone)
2) Rui Hachimura
3) Clarke
4) French kid
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Wasserman is apparently plugged in according to Sam Vecenie and some others on the Athletic.
Style

Post by Style »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Wasserman is apparently plugged in according to Sam Vecenie and some others on the Athletic.
For the sake of discussion, LA passes on Garland at 4. Cleveland likely has little interest with Sexton. What would it take to jump from 11 to 5?

Okogie gone for sure. Next year’s #1 likely also gone. Saric? Covington? Where’s the line?

Garland/KAT could be a nice duo!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

I don’t think Garland is an elite prospect where the Wolves are giving up 11, their 2020 1st, and Okogie or RoCo. I would not do that. But maybe I’m in the minority. Not sure what other WC’s think about Garland.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Style wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:52 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:56 pm

https://twitter.com/nbadraftwass/status ... 73632?s=21

For the sake of discussion, LA passes on Garland at 4. Cleveland likely has little interest with Sexton. What would it take to jump from 11 to 5?

Okogie gone for sure. Next year’s #1 likely also gone. Saric? Covington? Where’s the line?

Garland/KAT could be a nice duo!
Nothing the Wolves have is going to get them to top 5 other than Kat.

Maybe giving up multiple 1st rounders? I would say is the only chance but i would never do that. This team is lottery bound for awhile and I would hate to give those picks up.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Style

Post by Style »

Take it for what it's worth, the Cavs met extensively with Kevin Porter Jr. today. @AmicoHoops reports that they could make a surprise selection at 5 👀👀
@WolvesDenNBA

Trade down! Get Okogie in the process!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
j2j

Post by j2j »

Let's piece it together.

1. Pelicans - Zion Williamson
2. Grizzlies - Ja Morant
3. Knicks - RJ Barrett
4. Lakers - Jarrett Culver
5. Cavaliers - Kevin Porter Jr
6. Suns - Darius Garland
7. Bulls - Coby White
8. Hawks - DeAndre Hunter
9. Wizards - Jaxson Hayes
10. Hawks - Brandon Clarke
11. Wolves - ???

KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

j2j wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:29 pm Let's piece it together.

2. Grizzlies - Ja Morant
3. Knicks - RJ Barrett
6. Suns - Darius Garland
7. Bulls - Coby White
11. Wolves - ???
Sekou all the way baby!
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm
j2j wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:29 pm Let's piece it together.

2. Grizzlies - Ja Morant
3. Knicks - RJ Barrett
6. Suns - Darius Garland
7. Bulls - Coby White
11. Wolves - ???
Sekou all the way baby!
If that happens I am somehow tryin to get DeAndre Hunter. I think he is going to be a beast! But yes, if it falls like that I am going Sekou if Bol Bol's medicals don't look perfect.