Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

How bad was this draft

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
winforlose

How bad was this draft

Post by winforlose »

I mean we knew coming in that 2019s draft class was supposed to be one of the worst in years/decades. Also Zion has been out the whole season which lowers their numbers. I comment because I was reading one of the threads here and Culver is number 2 on the rookie ladder. His defense has been decent/good the past few weeks (minus transition mistakes and silly fouls.) Yet his free throw shooting is sub 45%, his 3 point percentage is sub 30% and his FG shooting is sub 40% percent. I haven’t been tracking rookie ladders or stats this year so I am genuinely asking, has the draft class really been that bad that Culver deserves #2 on the rookie ladder?

Edit to note: It turns out the NBA rookie ladder is just a weekly assessment and not a power ranking. So the week of Jan 9 Culver had the second best week of any rookie according to the judgment of the NBA.com author of the list. It does not speak in any way to the rookie of the year award or race. Now it makes more sense.
SHAFA

Re: How bad was this draft

Post by SHAFA »

I honestly don't follow arbitrary rankings that are continuously updated throughout the year. They've always just seemed...pointless.

From what I've seen of some of the rooks thus far, I really like Morant, Hayes, Washington, Herro, Clarke, Cam Johnson and Thybulle. I think Barrett, Culver and Hachimura will turn out well too. I've stated that I think White's going to be a heater off the bench. Alexander-Walker seems to pop when he gets minutes, but I have no idea what his limitations are to gauge anything. I literally can't say anything about Zion, Hunter, Reddish, Garland or Porter.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Not a bad draft. Just happened to be an all the way underclass draft with only a couple "sure thing" types and one is hurt. This is one that will take time. And good GM's will take great advantage of that. Wonder what we'll do. Oh, right, buy high, sell low, expect our players to adapt to the system because that's worked exactly zero times ever.

But as I say every damn draft and am proven right every damn time. If you want to be successful at drafting then draft a guy who fits your roster, draft a guy who plays the way you play, don't project skills he doesn't have as important. So fucking simple. Except for all the BPA bitches who are proven wrong every year. It's not BPA it's BPA for you.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Always draft BPA. Golden rule in the NBA.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

T_J wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:37 pm Always draft BPA. Golden rule in the NBA.
Correct.

If you want to make an omelet you have to take the BPA.
Last edited by thinktank on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Golden rule of the unemployed and fools. Also of loudmouth half wits who just have to puke out "their" opinion even though they have none.

BPA!. Shocker you are a fan of the idiot. That makes you look good though. :lol:
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Culver is about the 5th or 6th best rookie at the moment.

Morant

Washington
Barrett

Thybulle
Paschall

Culver
Herro
White
Johnson
Hunter
Nunn has fallen off a cliff and isn’t really a rookie

Zion will be on this list soon.

Also Bol Bol would’ve been an interesting pick for the Wolves. :lol:
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:43 pm
Golden rule of the unemployed and fools. Also of loudmouth half wits who just have to puke out "their" opinion even though they have none.

BPA!. Shocker you are a fan of the idiot. That makes you look good though. :lol:
Everything should be graded out, you generally take the player with the highest grade, but if there is not much difference in the grades you take a player based on need. This is not hard to understand and everyone should do it.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:59 pm

Everything should be graded out, you generally take the player with the highest grade, but if there is not much difference in the grades you take a player based on need. This is not hard to understand and everyone should do it.
Thank god we did it with Derrick Willams. Why does it occur to none of you that taking the best college 4 just because he grades 1 tick above a 3 is retarded if you have an allstar 4 he sits behind and a wide open spot at the 3. That COLLEGE 4 will be just as good on our team with 8 minutes a game right? RIGHT? Why is that so fucking hard to understand? Too many words? Don't really feel like cutting it down to a 3 letter dumb ass short cut to thinking.

Teams win. Same things I have to say ever year. Same things I'm proven 100% right on. Next year same shit. You guys are getting embarrassing.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:20 pm

Thank god we did it with Derrick Willams. Why does it occur to none of you that taking the best college 4 just because he grades 1 tick above a 3 is retarded if you have an allstar 4 he sits behind and a wide open spot at the 3. That COLLEGE 4 will be just as good on our team with 8 minutes a game right? RIGHT? Why is that so fucking hard to understand? Too many words? Don't really feel like cutting it down to a 3 letter dumb ass short cut to thinking.

Teams win. Same things I have to say ever year. Same things I'm proven 100% right on. Next year same shit. You guys are getting embarrassing.
LOL.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Crazy thought, but I'm fully prepared to give more than by January 15th of their rookie year to grade out a draft class.

Handful of guys who are getting ripped now because of STATS! will likely end up being solid+ players as they continue to develop.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

thinktank wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 pm Culver is about the 5th or 6th best rookie at the moment.

Morant

Washington
Barrett

Thybulle
Paschall

Culver
Herro
White
Johnson
Hunter

Where do you put Clarke on this list?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:06 pm
thinktank wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 pm Culver is about the 5th or 6th best rookie at the moment.

Morant

Washington
Barrett

Thybulle
Paschall

Culver
Herro
White
Johnson
Hunter

Where do you put Clarke on this list?
He’s in that last big group but he’s 23.5 and the rest are 19/20 (except Nunn). Ouch. I would guess Doumboya ends up the better player. Hachimura too.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:20 pm Thank god we did it with Derrick Willams.
DW was the right pick in that crapshoot of a draft, so IMO that is a bad example. Or the draft would have went,
Irving?
Klay
Leonard
Butler
And Kemba Walker

We just seem to always have uneducated buffoons in the FO when gems like those guys slip as far as they did.
We need to stop looking at who's "worthy" of the draft pick number, and get the guy we like the best. DW was a beast at AZ, and no reason to think he wouldn't be at the next level.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:18 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:20 pm Thank god we did it with Derrick Willams.
DW was the right pick in that crapshoot of a draft, so IMO that is a bad example. Or the draft would have went,
Irving?
Klay
Leonard
Butler
And Kemba Walker

We just seem to always have uneducated buffoons in the FO when gems like those guys slip as far as they did.
We need to stop looking at who's "worthy" of the draft pick number, and get the guy we like the best. DW was a beast at AZ, and no reason to think he wouldn't be at the next level.
There were plenty of concerns with DWill, that said, the team graded him where they did. They were wrong. Many teams were probably wrong. But more than that and what holds many teams back is recognizing a mistake, moving on and getting usable value from it. What makes what Trill said "stupid" is that he treats any draft decision as concrete with no ability to address it in the future be that decision is good or bad. A well run team is ready for everything.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

See I thought this was my year to be drafted. They'll never add a post playing PG with this PG class. Well, another year to hone my game.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Irving?
Klay
Leonard
Butler
And Kemba Walker

No it certainly was not. We had one star and he played the same position. No matter how much ever name lover wanted the guy they saw in an ESPN highlight once he was a brutal fit and I told you all from minute one it was coming. He was not a 3. Never going to be a 3. And Adelman was so pissed about it he just let him go off on his own to fail. It was among the worst Wolves picks ever and that's saying something. Pretty damn sure that Cle had another deal in place where they got another pick to have like 4 and 8 to trade us and we balked. And at that time the obvious move was to trade the pick for a vet.

Perfect example! Perfect example of the one note shortcut to thinking that BPA is.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:11 pm
Irving?
Klay
Leonard
Butler
And Kemba Walker

There were plenty of concerns with DWill, that said, the team graded him where they did. They were wrong. Many teams were probably wrong. But more than that and what holds many teams back is recognizing a mistake, moving on and getting usable value from it. What makes what Trill said "stupid" is that he treats any draft decision as concrete with no ability to address it in the future be that decision is good or bad. A well run team is ready for everything.
Fuck you talkin? I am the only one who takes all factors into account. It is why I constantly say there is no BPA. It's a myth. It's BPA for you.

I treat it as concrete? :lol: OK BPA boys. That's not a one note concrete decision at all. Why was Williams a mistake? Why? Because he was taken as the BPA in college. WTF does that have to do with the Wolves.

Thinking doesn't really take that long.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Horrible take.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

There are very few good drafts in the NBA anymore. It's hurting college hoops also.

This years is a stinka too.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:57 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:11 pm

Irving?
Klay
Leonard
Butler
And Kemba Walker

Fuck you talkin? I am the only one who takes all factors into account. It is why I constantly say there is no BPA. It's a myth. It's BPA for you.

I treat it as concrete? :lol: OK BPA boys. That's not a one note concrete decision at all. Why was Williams a mistake? Why? Because he was taken as the BPA in college. WTF does that have to do with the Wolves.

Thinking doesn't really take that long.
I have no idea how to respond to this as it addresses nothing of what I said, accuses me of things I didn't say and doubles down on the stupid.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Exactly right. Typically after the first one, two, or three, there isn’t much difference between four and five, or five and six. So you take the guy who fits your need at the time.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Bol Bol will be a superstar some day.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm
Irving?
Klay
Leonard
Butler
And Kemba Walker

No it certainly was not. We had one star and he played the same position. No matter how much ever name lover wanted the guy they saw in an ESPN highlight once he was a brutal fit and I told you all from minute one it was coming. He was not a 3. Never going to be a 3. And Adelman was so pissed about it he just let him go off on his own to fail. It was among the worst Wolves picks ever and that's saying something. Pretty damn sure that Cle had another deal in place where they got another pick to have like 4 and 8 to trade us and we balked. And at that time the obvious move was to trade the pick for a vet.

Perfect example! Perfect example of the one note shortcut to thinking that BPA is.
If that's true than they really messed up. Was that Kahn?
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:10 pm There are very few good drafts in the NBA anymore. It's hurting college hoops also.

This years is a stinka too.
Scouts and the NBA is hurting these players more than anything. They pressure these kids to come out early because nobody's wants to draft a 21-22 yr old anymore. Plus an older kid has a bigger body of work, and some scouts think they are already maxed out to their potential. One of the reasons Coffee didn't stay in school.
A 18-19 year old may not be ready, but force to come out for the reasons I stated above. Then get tossed in with grown men, and struggle to hold their own. Then the get sent to the G where has beens and wannabe's aren't willing to help as much because you may take their spot. Great advice from parents who aren't money strapped goes a long way. A lot of one and dones are now unemployed and uneducated.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:41 pmI can't help but love Bol Bol but I think he'll go in the top 10.
:lol:
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:37 am Bol Bol will be a superstar some day.
I won like $223 on Yahoo slate on NBA draft night for myself and my parents and a couple of friends for knowing TWO things, 1. No trades would be announced (only 2% had it AND it was a 100% proposition) and 2. Bol Bol would be the last player picked out of the players they gave and they gave several second rounders. Keep your eyes out Froobs for next year it is easy money once news start to drop. 9 players got it AND I accounted for 5 of them.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Ja Morant may already be the best point guard in the NBA. The dude is going to have a stellar career. Better than Zion's.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:53 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:37 am Bol Bol will be a superstar some day.
I won like $223 on Yahoo slate on NBA draft night for myself and my parents and a couple of friends for knowing TWO things, 1. No trades would be announced (only 2% had it AND it was a 100% proposition) and 2. Bol Bol would be the last player picked out of the players they gave and they gave several second rounders. Keep your eyes out Froobs for next year it is easy money once news start to drop. 9 players got it AND I accounted for 5 of them.
:clap:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:27 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:41 pmI can't help but love Bol Bol but I think he'll go in the top 10.
:lol:
Me and the draft experts.... :thinking: :mute: