Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins ink Josh Donaldson to four-year, $92 million deal

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Butch Bradford

Twins ink Josh Donaldson to four-year, $92 million deal

Post by Butch Bradford »

MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand reports that the Twins and free agent third baseman Josh Donaldson are in agreement on a four-year contract. Jon Heyman adds that the deal is for $92 million.

Donaldson, 34, had a bounce-back year with the Braves, batting .259/.379/.521 with 37 home runs and 94 RBI over 659 plate appearances, helping the club win the NL East for a second consecutive season. Donaldson missed most of the 2018 season due to injuries, so he took a one-year deal with the Braves to rebuild his value. It worked.

The Twins recently inked third baseman Miguel Sanó to a three-year, $30 million contract extension. It would seem that the club now has three terrific players (Nelson Cruz being the third) for two positions — third base and DH — but they may choose to move Sano to first base.

No matter what the Twins end up doing, one thing is for certain: they are going to hit the baseball. This past season, the club ranked second in batting average, slugging percentage, and OPS, and fourth in on-base percentage. Adding Donaldson into the mix can’t make opposing pitchers in the American League feel good.

The Braves and Nationals were both in pursuit of Donaldson’s services. Now that he’s in Minnesota, one wonders if the two NL East teams might get even more in the mix for Kris Bryant and Nolan Arenado.
Last edited by Butch Bradford on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Style

Re: Twins Need to Make a Splash With the Rain Man: Sign Josh Donaldson

Post by Style »

Bring him in!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

:lol:
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

At least they tried.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

With Anthony Rendon off the market, Donaldson is now the most sought-after third-baseman in free agency. The 34-year-old is projected by MLB Trade Rumors to get three years, $75 million after hitting .259/.379/.521 with 37 homers in 2019 with the Atlanta Braves. He could get even more if a team decides it needs to make a splash.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

As long as we're playing make-believe, let's trade Dobnak to the Rockies for Arenado.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:10 am With Anthony Rendon off the market, Donaldson is now the most sought-after third-baseman in free agency. The 34-year-old is projected by MLB Trade Rumors to get three years, $75 million after hitting .259/.379/.521 with 37 homers in 2019 with the Atlanta Braves. He could get even more if a team decides it needs to make a splash.
I think a few teams will offer a 4 year deal. My gut says Atlanta or Washington but I could see Texas getting involved. I think the Twins would do 3 years, $75 million but that's not going to get him.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Dec. 14: Darren Wolfson of SKOR North radio in Minnesota reports that the Twins are "still engaged" on Donaldson.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:11 pm
Dec. 14: Darren Wolfson of SKOR North radio in Minnesota reports that the Twins are "still engaged" on Donaldson.
Oh great...that means we have no chance.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Hornets wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:29 pm
Dickweed wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:11 pm
:lol:
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

He needs to play about 3 more years before we would bring him in.....just in time for his twilight.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Hornets wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:29 pm
Dickweed wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:11 pm
Yep.

That's Minnesota Twins for "We called him once and asked what he wanted. It was too much but we wrote his agent's number down."
The Replacements

I would love the first 2 years of Donaldson.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:18 am As long as we're playing make-believe, let's trade Dobnak to the Rockies for Arenado.
Yep that or for Chapman!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I do think Falvey and Lavine will land a pretty decent player, but I'm the impatient type and want this to happen NOW!
The Replacements

Hornets wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:14 pm I do think Falvey and Lavine will land a pretty decent player, but I'm the impatient type and want this to happen NOW!
You still have teams like the Red Sox and Cubs that need to shed payroll. I wonder if the Twins payroll flexibility will allow them to get someone like David Price at a bargain.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:23 pm
Hornets wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:14 pm I do think Falvey and Lavine will land a pretty decent player, but I'm the impatient type and want this to happen NOW!
You still have teams like the Red Sox and Cubs that need to shed payroll. I wonder if the Twins payroll flexibility will allow them to get someone like David Price at a bargain.
That would be nice!
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

MLB Network insider Ken Rosenthal reports in an article for The Athletic (subscription required) that the Nationals and Twins each have four-year offers on the table for Donaldson and the overall contract value could be in the neighborhood of $100 million.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Butch Bradford wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:23 am
MLB Network insider Ken Rosenthal reports in an article for The Athletic (subscription required) that the Nationals and Twins each have four-year offers on the table for Donaldson and the overall contract value could be in the neighborhood of $100 million.
Do it. Then start trading some of the major league level position players to get pitchers under team control.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
The Replacements

Re: Jon Heyman: Twins extend 4 year offer for Josh Donaldson

Not sure how the Twins beat out the Nats for Donaldson but I will hope for an early Christmas present.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

He's $25/year at 34 but mid-teen pitching contracts are too spendy? Doesn't make sense.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
salamander

Post by salamander »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good to hear we're not lowballing him.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
The Replacements

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:52 am He's $25/year at 34 but mid-teen pitching contracts are too spendy? Doesn't make sense.
Assuming either one wants to sign here, who makes a bigger impact? Ryu or Donaldson? My choice would be Donaldson and I like Ryu.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

I will be absolutely shocked if the Twins are offering him that much. We shall see
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:10 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:52 am He's $25/year at 34 but mid-teen pitching contracts are too spendy? Doesn't make sense.
Assuming either one wants to sign here, who makes a bigger impact? Ryu or Donaldson? My choice would be Donaldson and I like Ryu.
Very debatable. Donaldson would no doubt keep the lineup in the top 3 in the AL, but scoring runs isn't our problem.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:14 pm
Very debatable. Donaldson would no doubt keep the lineup in the top 3 in the AL, but scoring runs isn't our problem.
The thought of Donaldson in the everyday lineup makes my nipples hard. However, I would really really really like to see the Twins sign an Ace, former Ace, Wannabe Ace. We all know that's what they need to have a realistic chance at anything. I feel like if you have a legitimate #1 on your staff, even if his prime years are behind him, he sets the tone for the rotation and elevates the other guys.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
The Replacements

The reality is both players help this team a lot and I would take either one. I still think Donaldson to Nats and Ryu to the Dodgers/Angels happen.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:36 pm

The thought of Donaldson in the everyday lineup makes my nipples hard. However, I would really really really like to see the Twins sign an Ace, former Ace, Wannabe Ace. We all know that's what they need to have a realistic chance at anything. I feel like if you have a legitimate #1 on your staff, even if his prime years are behind him, he sets the tone for the rotation and elevates the other guys.
I'm on Team Tommy.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Anyone remember this Sano guy? You will when he hits 50 HR's next year.

Spending big on a position player is asinine. You spend on a starter or you spend on extending guys early at a bargain.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Ask Not wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:35 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm on Team Tommy.
Look at the Cardinals. They go from Carpenter to Wainwright to Martinez to Flaherty.

Giants> Zito to Lincecum to Cain to Bumgarner

Ect, ect.

Twins> Radke>Milton>Santana>Liriano(kind of)>Moon Shot Scott>Scott Diamond>Pavano>Worley>Pelfrey>Santana>Berrios

Yuck.