Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Hoops Scrimmage: Minnesota at Iowa State

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
Herky

Hoops Scrimmage: Minnesota at Iowa State

Post by Herky »

Minnesota went to Iowa State and had a closed scrimmage against them in Hilton. Minnesota won 77 to 68. Carr and Kalscheur had 17 points each. Otru 13 points and 13 boards. Willis 12 and 5.

Sure it’s a scrimmage and I’m not sure if Iowa State will be good this year but it’s a win.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Hoops Scrimmage: Minnesota at Iowa State

Post by HeHateMe »

Herky wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:28 am Minnesota went to Iowa State and had a closed scrimmage against them in Hilton. Minnesota won 77 to 68. Carr and Kalscheur had 17 points each. Otru 13 points and 13 boards. Willis 12 and 5.

Sure it’s a scrimmage and I’m not sure if Iowa State will be good this year but it’s a win.
Carr looks like a chucker, which worries me a bit. I guess they can end up going with Willis at pg if needed and keep Carr off the ball some.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:29 am
Herky wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:28 am Minnesota went to Iowa State and had a closed scrimmage against them in Hilton. Minnesota won 77 to 68. Carr and Kalscheur had 17 points each. Otru 13 points and 13 boards. Willis 12 and 5.

Carr looks like a chucker, which worries me a bit. I guess they can end up going with Willis at pg if needed and keep Carr off the ball some.
HHM, I respect the time and energy you put into Gopher hoops. I used to be like that back on Clem's era and even into Monson's. Kids have caused me to fall off considerably.

Can you give a couple paragraphs on your outlook? Starting 5, comments on new guys etc?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:39 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:29 am

HHM, I respect the time and energy you put into Gopher hoops. I used to be like that back on Clem's era and even into Monson's. Kids have caused me to fall off considerably.

Can you give a couple paragraphs on your outlook? Starting 5, comments on new guys etc?
Carr/Kalscheur/Willis/Demir/Oturu looks like the starting five though it appears Demir might not be a 100% lock. Maybe Omersa emerges?

Tre Williams is probably the only freshman you can count on to do well this year and look the part. Freeman/Ihnen are raw though Ihnen's ceiling is higher than anyone on this team. Going to take some time for him. Freeman is a big body and with Curry out, he will get time though I think they'll try to go small ball a lot with Omersa or Demir getting some minutes at the 5 behind Oturu.

Greenlee (freshman pg) sounds like a hell of an athlete and might play some but probably not a lot. I think they'll mainly look at a 9 man rotation with the starters above and then Williams/Ihnen/Hurt/Omersa off the bench. I don't see a tournament team right now but I suppose things could break right for them. Losing Coffey was a huge blow in terms of knocking everyone down a notch. I think Willis will end up being the guy they trust most with the ball in his hands.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
full force five

Post by full force five »

I thought I read that Greenlee has the second highest vertical on the team. Omersa is first at like 45" and Greenlee is second at 44" or something like that.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:17 pm I thought I read that Greenlee has the second highest vertical on the team. Omersa is first at like 45" and Greenlee is second at 44" or something like that.
Correct. I'm still unsure about him as a player and his recruitment. Pitino offered him over the phone and kid committed without visiting campus. Meanwhile, Pitino gets Crowl on campus this year and doesn't offer him a scholarship immediately.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

This team is going to be brutal imo.

I didn't think they would be good last year and they proved me wrong. Maybe they can do it again this year.

Hopefully Pitino is given the walking papers if this ends up a disaster.

Oturu is going to be a Gopher great and Kalsh can play. I like Omersa's motor but I don't know how skilled he will ever be.

Lot's of questions to be answered shortly.

Stay Tuned!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:06 pm This team is going to be brutal imo.

I didn't think they would be good last year and they proved me wrong. Maybe they can do it again this year.

Hopefully Pitino is given the walking papers if this ends up a disaster.

Oturu is going to be a Gopher great and Kalsh can play. I like Omersa's motor but I don't know how skilled he will ever be.

Lot's of questions to be answered shortly.

Stay Tuned!
Non conference schedule is tough, seemed like they got some good breaks last year in non conference which allowed them to slip up a bit in big ten play. I don't see a tourney appearance but if Oturu can turn into a true game changer this year, maybe?