Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: 2020 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:50 pm
The Replacements wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:12 pm
full force five wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:48 am Not super high on either one (Crowl or Carlson) but they have some talent and could be good role players at Wisconsin.
....said every Gopher fan about a MN kid(s) committing to Wisconsin. :lol:
No doubt! :lol:
The reality is the Gophers lost two players they really liked in their backyard to a rival program. Now, the whole thing completely goes away if they land better players... and they do have a shot at those guys. How great, I'm not too optimistic but if Garcia and Walton decide to pair up and stay home no one should be upset where Carlson and Crowl landed. Had Suggs and Garcia committed to Wisconsin this week, I would be blowing chunks at the thought of them playing for the Badgers.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Gee, why wouldn't good local kids want to play for their hometeam? It's almost as if there is something about the school that just doesn't appeal to them but we just can't put our finger on it. :thinking:
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Night Train wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:01 am Gee, why wouldn't good local kids want to play for their hometeam? It's almost as if there is something about the school that just doesn't appeal to them but we just can't put our finger on it. :thinking:
The white suburban boys continues to pick Wisconsin. The 5 star guys have mainly gone to Duke except Suggs who will go to Gonzaga.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Night Train wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:01 am Gee, why wouldn't good local kids want to play for their hometeam? It's almost as if there is something about the school that just doesn't appeal to them but we just can't put our finger on it. :thinking:
Maybe they don't pay as well.
Ketchup can be nuancy
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 am
The white suburban boys continues to pick Wisconsin. The 5 star guys have mainly gone to Duke except Suggs who will go to Gonzaga.
I think it says more about Minnesota recruiting than Wisconsin.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:08 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 am
I think it says more about Minnesota recruiting than Wisconsin.
I agree... Pitino recruited well locally here for a bit because of Ben Johnson. Anyone who follows the program SHOULD know that but his mistake IMO has been not getting another guy with ties to the area to recruit. Jarvis Johnson is maybe getting groomed to be an assistant someday but he just graduated so he'll be a grad assistant for a year or two.
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

I keep reverting to the fact that the U of M has been playing basketball for 100+ years and not one kid from the Twin Cities Metropolitan area has gone on to great NBA success after going to the U. The U of M has retired 9 players jerseys in their history and all are from out-state players or out-of-state. The best examples of twin city success is Kris Humphries, and he bailed on the U after one year. Sure Lynch, Coffey, Jacobson, etc. maybe got a sip of coffee at the NBA level, they weren't stars. We really need one or two players to grow up in the cities, go to the U, and develop into good NBA players to show these kids that there is a path to their dreams through the U of M.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Big Head wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 am I keep reverting to the fact that the U of M has been playing basketball for 100+ years and not one kid from the Twin Cities Metropolitan area has gone on to great NBA success after going to the U. The U of M has retired 9 players jerseys in their history and all are from out-state players or out-of-state. The best examples of twin city success is Kris Humphries, and he bailed on the U after one year. Sure Lynch, Coffey, Jacobson, etc. maybe got a sip of coffee at the NBA level, they weren't stars. We really need one or two players to grow up in the cities, go to the U, and develop into good NBA players to show these kids that there is a path to their dreams through the U of M.
I'll continue to root for the team but Pitino basically stopping on the recruiting path for Matthew Hurt told me everything I need to know. Pitino would be gone if Amir Coffey didn't tear his ACL his junior year. Coffey was blowing up and probably ends up elsewhere (Iowa St was going to happen after his ACL tear if Hoiberg didn't leave for the NBA). Coffey/Murphy are the two reasons Pitino is still employed, and Norwood Teague I suppose because of the huge buyout. Not recruiting Matthew Hurt until the end is classic Pitino. He thinks local kids should be begging to play for the Gophers.
Style

Post by Style »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:48 am
Big Head wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 am I keep reverting to the fact that the U of M has been playing basketball for 100+ years and not one kid from the Twin Cities Metropolitan area has gone on to great NBA success after going to the U. The U of M has retired 9 players jerseys in their history and all are from out-state players or out-of-state. The best examples of twin city success is Kris Humphries, and he bailed on the U after one year. Sure Lynch, Coffey, Jacobson, etc. maybe got a sip of coffee at the NBA level, they weren't stars. We really need one or two players to grow up in the cities, go to the U, and develop into good NBA players to show these kids that there is a path to their dreams through the U of M.
I'll continue to root for the team but Pitino basically stopping on the recruiting path for Matthew Hurt told me everything I need to know. Pitino would be gone if Amir Coffey didn't tear his ACL his junior year. Coffey was blowing up and probably ends up elsewhere (Iowa St was going to happen after his ACL tear if Hoiberg didn't leave for the NBA). Coffey/Murphy are the two reasons Pitino is still employed, and Norwood Teague I suppose because of the huge buyout. Not recruiting Matthew Hurt until the end is classic Pitino. He thinks local kids should be begging to play for the Gophers.
Yeah I think part of Pitino's problem is that he's been around blue blood programs most of his life. Recruiting as a blue blood program is much different than recruiting for the UM. Just showing up isn't good enough. And most of the time he doesn't even show up.

He used to joke about his recruiting budget being put into gas tanks as opposed to flying. Too bad he didn't take that a bit more literally and drive down the road to Lakeville, Wayzata, Prior Lake, Apple Valley, Maple Grove, Minneapolis, etc. etc. to watch some of the MN HS players that left to find success at other D1 programs.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The relationship needs to start early in high school at this point. I know not every kid is a known commodity in 8th or 9th grade but the special ones are. The names are out there. Brad Davison was called the next Tyus Jones when he was a freshman, then he was quiet for a couple years and blew up his junior year for AAU. Gophers have been early on Aligbe, Holloman and Heide for some of the younger classes but so have many other schools. Pitino didn't think gee, why do these kids like Ben Johnson so much... is it because everyone in the bleeping metro area knew and liked Ben a lot?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Mashburn Jr is heavily rumored to the Gophers eventually.

Ty Berry is out there but there is Northwestern steam too, more so than Minnesota.

Jakobe Coles had Minnesota in his final six but doesn't seem like Minnesota is still after him too much. Same with the 7+ footer Zach Edey.

Jacob Hutson from Edina is a 6'10 big with offers from Northwestern, Iowa, Virginia Tech and tons of mid majors. There is a shot where the Gophers eventually look his way (this is all per RJ).

Garcia/Walton are out there still, somehow Pitino and company need to get the two of them sold on staying home and playing together. Doubtful but they're available. Arizona and UNC have offered both as well.
full force five

Post by full force five »

UNC just got commitments for Walker Kessler and Day'Ron Sharpe both 5 star centers/power forwards. Garcia isn't going to UNC. Marquette has commitments from 2 power forwards both 4 stars. Arizona is stacked at PF and center. Dawson would be the immediate starting power forward at the gophers with a ton of playing time. We shall see. Garcia is a must get for Richard.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:07 am UNC just got commitments for Walker Kessler and Day'Ron Sharpe both 5 star centers/power forwards. Garcia isn't going to UNC. Marquette has commitments from 2 power forwards both 4 stars. Arizona is stacked at PF and center. Dawson would be the immediate starting power forward at the gophers with a ton of playing time. We shall see. Garcia is a must get for Richard.
RJ insists Marquette is still at the front for Garcia. Garcia is obviously super versatile so I'm sure teams will continue to recruit him. I am convinced the best case scenario for Garcia is Minnesota though. Like you said, they have the spot for him ready to go when Demir is gone after this one season. Could MN use a better pure point guard over Marcus Carr? Sure. Carr is a shoot first, maybe viewed more as a combo guard than pure point but if the lineup ends up Carr/Gabe/Ihnen/?/Oturu, I think Garcia easily slides in well there.

I know Indiana (and Indiana fans) want him badly there too but are the Hoosiers in that much better of a spot than Minnesota right now?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ryan James‏ @RyanJamesMN
2020 center Martice Mitchell of Bloom HS in Illinois will officially visit Minnesota this weekend. Mitchell is ranked 124th by 247 & 122nd by Prep Hoops. Was at Xavier last weekend, via @scottybscout
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:49 am Ryan James‏ @RyanJamesMN
2020 center Martice Mitchell of Bloom HS in Illinois will officially visit Minnesota this weekend. Mitchell is ranked 124th by 247 & 122nd by Prep Hoops. Was at Xavier last weekend, via @scottybscout
Nice
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Big Head wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:40 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:49 am Ryan James‏ @RyanJamesMN
Nice
Sounds like he's kind of raw. Not sure I like that move if you already have Sam Freeman on your roster. Before a raw center, they need someone who can give them good minutes at the 4.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Pitino sure does love to waste scholarships on raw big guys.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Just saw Dawson Garcia is taking an official this weekend at the U. :clap: :clap: :clap:
full force five

Man . . . I hate to dream but things might be falling into place for Garcia and the gophers.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Gophers update:

Martice Mitchell really enjoyed it here. Sounds like they could be the leader if Minnesota makes some promises on position flexibility versus just letting him play big.

Dawson Garcia -- they put on the full court press and by all accounts it was well received. Pitino is 100% all in on Dawson. They did a ton of extra stuff for him as a local kid.

"They had a video put together that gave me the chills a little bit. Possibly becoming that hometown guy." -- think they did some Carlson School of business tours/meetings like they did with Reid Travis back then too. Garcia will visit Memphis this weekend. Marquette, Arizona UNC and Indiana all in the picture still. One item too... Gophers were kind of on the outside prior to the visit but they're clearly in the mix now. I'm sure Garcia needed that extra time with players/staff to know how he really felt.

Jamal Mashburn Jr visiting this week. DJ Gordon next week.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Martice Mitchell will announce tomorrow afternoon apparently. According to 247 the Gophers are the pick. 100% crystal ball to Minnesota.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:14 pm Martice Mitchell will announce tomorrow afternoon apparently. According to 247 the Gophers are the pick. 100% crystal ball to Minnesota.
He'd be a very good pick-up. Versatile big man with some handles.

Hopefully Mashburn is next.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:19 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:14 pm Martice Mitchell will announce tomorrow afternoon apparently. According to 247 the Gophers are the pick. 100% crystal ball to Minnesota.

You would definitely know better than me on Mitchell. Seems raw, but I guess most high school bigs are. Athletic for sure. Is he comparable to freeman or probably better?
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:21 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:19 pm

You would definitely know better than me on Mitchell. Seems raw, but I guess most high school bigs are. Athletic for sure. Is he comparable to freeman or probably better?
He is a little raw, but has a nice potential skill set. Him and Freeman have different games. Mitchell is going to be more skilled overall than Freeman and it sounds like he might even play some wing. Mitchell is a top 150 recruit. Freeman was a top 400 recruit.
full force five

Sounds like Martice Mitchell is 100% to the gophers, I'm fine with that. He's 4star guy from Chicago. If we end up with a class of Mitchell, Mashburn and Garcia that would top 3ish in the Big Ten this year.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ell-241455
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Someone who is pretty plugged in on Gopherhole said it's looking like the 2020 class will be Mitchell, Mashburn, and Garcia.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Mitchell will commit here.

Thinks look good for Mashburn Jr... he visited Cal before MN and it looks like he's passing on his third option, I can't remember the school off the top of my head. Somewhere east... wake, Georgia tech? I don't remember. But seems like this is the spot he wants to be.

Garcia, according to Evan Daniels, is between MN, Indiana and Marquette. He did visit Memphis this past weekend though.
full force five

I just can't see Marquette for Dawson Garcia, they have 2 power forwards already committed.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:50 am I just can't see Marquette for Dawson Garcia, they have 2 power forwards already committed.
Garcia is so versatile though, he's a position-less player so I'm sure every school is recruiting him that way.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Mashburn will announce this week and it sounds extremely favorable for the Gophers.