Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Tyus Jones 3 Years 28 Million Grizz

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Should the Wolves Match?

Yes, hometown kid improving game
22%
No, He’s a back up and 9 mil too much
78%

Total votes: 60

j2j

Re: Tyus Jones 3 Years 28 Million Grizz

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:00 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:37 pm
irishman89 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:26 pm

Only 9 boards a game (Westbrook is higher, right?) and 50% from the line at that price made me stay quiet, sorry. I LOVE Adams, but no.
It's tough to judge OKC rebounding. They do a lot of intentional actions to get Westbrook his rebounds. Often times you'll see guys pull back from grabbing a board if Westbrook is close. Lot of extreme boxing out just so Russ can chase it down.

The Thunder's offensive rebound percentage is a net 4.8% higher with Adams on the court and 6.1% higher on the defensive side when he's on the court. Maybe he's not getting that rebound, but clearly he makes his team rebound better.
i agree with this. russ is by design their free safety in charge of corralling rebounds and starting the break. and this isn't to downplay his contributions on the boards. i think they do this because westbrook is so quick and athletic and has a nose for the ball. he's the ideal player to do that - but it does result in some pretty heady rebounding numbers.
I surmise the mentality is Russ getting the rebound and pushing it is faster than someone else getting the rebound and trying to find Russ for an outlet then pushing it. Not sure how true that is, or if that is exactly their logic, but it fits what they do.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:01 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:55 pm Probably not realistic, but I'm not sweating over a Woj tweet saying they're trying. Doesn't mean anything.
I'm not sweating over either -- just makes MN look dumb to the basketball world.

Woj "free agent class for summer 2020 is not good"
Woj later "MN trying to clear max cap space for 2020!"

Smart people know not to read into the tweet, who knows why he sent it.
MN has looked dumb for 30 years. :shrug:

HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:08 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:55 pm Probably not realistic, but I'm not sweating over a Woj tweet saying they're trying. Doesn't mean anything.
I'm not sweating over either -- just makes MN look dumb to the basketball world.

Worst franchise in the NBA..... yep.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:09 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Worst franchise in sports.
Fixed it for ya.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:07 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:00 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:37 pm

It's tough to judge OKC rebounding. They do a lot of intentional actions to get Westbrook his rebounds. Often times you'll see guys pull back from grabbing a board if Westbrook is close. Lot of extreme boxing out just so Russ can chase it down.

The Thunder's offensive rebound percentage is a net 4.8% higher with Adams on the court and 6.1% higher on the defensive side when he's on the court. Maybe he's not getting that rebound, but clearly he makes his team rebound better.
i agree with this. russ is by design their free safety in charge of corralling rebounds and starting the break. and this isn't to downplay his contributions on the boards. i think they do this because westbrook is so quick and athletic and has a nose for the ball. he's the ideal player to do that - but it does result in some pretty heady rebounding numbers.
I surmise the mentality is Russ getting the rebound and pushing it is faster than someone else getting the rebound and trying to find Russ for an outlet then pushing it. Not sure how true that is, or if that is exactly their logic, but it fits what they do.
Paul George gets a lot of rebounds too. His career average is 6.4/game. Last season he had 8.2.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

So if they deal Russ, Adams' rebounding should theoretically jump from 9.6 to 25.5 per game haha.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:50 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:39 am hmm idk. i'd bet hard pressed to say we're worse off at PG this season than last. i think all of us knew that derrick rose - and his occasional sterling performances - was going to be gone. i wasn't willing to pony up some $15M over two years to a guy who needed rehab time every two games plus was doing nothing towards furthering the development of his team mates. so losing rose was sort of a given.

we've still got our starter, jeff teague - for one more year unless a deal comes along. and i know you've defended teague's value here, thrill. as for jones, that's another player who i think i remember you having lost your enthusiasm for - because of the ever elusive consistent shot. so, IMO, napier for tyus is a wash. jones does some things better than napier - napier does some things (getting his own shot off) better than tyus. and he's costing far less than what apparently is needed to engage tyus' services these days.

the addition of nowell brings at least a sliver of hope that he might be able to play some point - and with it, a projected ability to knock down from long range in a way that tyus certainly never figured out. PLUS, the recent signing of wallace - if he sticks - puts a sizeable PG on our roster with serious defensive skills.

we haven't improved to the tune of darius garland - but to say we've taken a step back, i don't think so.
We have obviously taken a step back. Napier? He had like 2 months during one season and that's it. He's JJ with less ability and less conscience.

Go back and read the draft thread from like page 5. Was there ever any single time when we weren't talking exactly PF and PG. PF and PG. So fucking obvious. I mean everyone in the freakin world knew it. Did we take a PF? No we traded one and took a wing. Did we take a PG? No we took a 2 that can maybe develop into one. Then gave him 2 DNPCD's in the first 2 summer games. Then lowball Tyus and he gets a big offer that of course Taylor will not match.

Full on moron. Rosas has done exactly nothing right. Even signing Bell is a fuck up because he can't get more than one year.
what this looks like is full commitment on your part to go down the FUCK ROSAS HE'S THE REINCARNATION OF KAHN rabbit hole with full gusto. go ahead. knock yourself out. but, no, i think kahn was pretty universally thought of around the nba as a complete whack job - whereas rosas is fairly well respected. different guys entirely. when he was hired i saw exactly ZERO reports stating the rosas the idiot had pulled another fast one. most pundits (and by def, these are guys who are experts in their field of study) thought the wolves got a good guy. understand that you could possibly not always be the smartest guy in the room.

and YES - i totally agree with you that rosas botched up the saric trade!

but that does not mean that EVERY subsequent move that rosas makes is further proof of his ineptitude. suddenly you're defending tyus jones over his replacement shabbazz napier? they are different players - but COMPLETELY on the same tier of importance in terms of their nba value. so what if napier is on his 4th team! the only reason tyus isn't on his fourth team is because he was drafted as the HOME TOWN boy! you know this. any other club gets him and he'd be looking for work every summer, like napier and the rest of the backup nba scrubs. don't tell me that napier had two good months! i don't know about the two good months. but after 5 years in the league - his track record looks remarkably similar to tyus jones' track record.

napier career - 16.7 mpg over 5 years - 6.4/1.7/2.0 and .8 spg on 43%/35%/81%
jones career - 17.7 mpg over 4 years - 5.1/1.5/3.3 and 1 spg on 46%/33%/82%

we could resign one for $28M/3yrs or the other for one year at $1.8M. tell me again how horribly rosas screwed that up.

jake layman - a 19mpg performer last year on a WAY MUCH BETTER portland team, we sign for 3 years to a really reasonable contract. this is another shit move? no.

we sign jordan bell, the kind of uber athletic defensive PF you've been clamoring for FOR YEARS - and you're super pissed that rosas didn't get him on a longer contract? apparently there's zero chance of resigning him to a bigger deal next year.

rosas didn't resign rose, didn't resign taj, didn't resign tolly, didn't resign deng, didn't resign bayless - all moves that make us weaker in the short term, but stronger in the long term - and again, he's a fucking chicken with his head cut off? i applaud every one of those departures.

i can only suggest a more moderate approach. because you absolutely hated the culver thing - does not mean you are hereby REQUIRED to hate every other move our new GM makes. doing so makes it appear as though you are simply married to a scenario you've concocted - regardless of what else happens.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Dan33185 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:19 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:50 pm Don’t want Adams. Way overpaid and has no skills at all. Not even that great of a rebounder.
How did people just let this preposterous statement slide?
It’s because you don’t know the game. The guy has a 100 million contract.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Per Jon K, Wolves offered Jones a four year deal starting at 4.2 mil, final year was non guaranteed.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:05 pm Per Jon K, Wolves offered Jones a four year deal starting at 4.2 mil, final year was non guaranteed.
Lol that's a little insulting
j2j

Post by j2j »

I'd be ok with him on that deal, not double that.

T_J

Post by T_J »

OliverMiller wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:06 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:05 pm Per Jon K, Wolves offered Jones a four year deal starting at 4.2 mil, final year was non guaranteed.
Feels like a soft breakup to me. I don't think it's insulting, both parties ultimately are probably better off.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

T_J wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:25 pm
Feels like a soft breakup to me. I don't think it's insulting, both parties ultimately are probably better off.
If you go off what point guards are making, it's insulting but yeah I think both sides are better off moving on when you're that far apart.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:07 pm I'd be ok with him on that deal, not double that.
In my head, I thought he'd get 3 over 18/20 … or 2 for 13/14. The 3 for 28 did surprise me and it definitely put the Wolves in a spot where it wasn't a sure thing.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

I guess what I am unhappy about is that with a bit of work last year we could have traded Tyus and gotten something instead of him going for nothing.
My heart is family.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Jesus, Tyus must have enjoyed the moment he got to tell Rosas to go fuck himself.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Catalyst wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:03 pm I guess what I am unhappy about is that with a bit of work last year we could have traded Tyus and gotten something instead of him going for nothing.
same could be said for Rose, Taj and maybe Tolly.
unfortunately lame duck GM at the time and interim head coach auditioning for full time gig, so more interest in short term vs long term.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
j2j

Post by j2j »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:05 pm
Jesus, Tyus must have enjoyed the moment he got to tell Rosas to go fuck himself.
And Rosas is probably stoked that Tyus found a different sucker.

Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

Yeah wait, like why is that bad on Wolves management?
j2j

Post by j2j »

If Memphis offers him $6mil/year then Rosas had a decision. It's a slightly above fair rate, he's a favorite of the homers... He either matches and is stuck with it or let's him walk and everyone hates him. But at $9mil/year it's a no brainer to help him pack his bags.

Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 pm
Catalyst wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:03 pm I guess what I am unhappy about is that with a bit of work last year we could have traded Tyus and gotten something instead of him going for nothing.
unfortunately lame duck GM at the time and interim head coach auditioning for full time gig, so more interest in short term vs long term.
Just another gift from the Thibs FO. The gift that keeps on taking. I can't believe how happy most of us were to get him here. I really believe he screwed us nearly as much as Kahn.
My heart is family.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Catalyst wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:54 pm
Just another gift from the Thibs FO. The gift that keeps on taking. I can't believe how happy most of us were to get him here. I really believe he screwed us nearly as much as Kahn.
Two more years of Dieng!!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

no. it's a fair offer for a guy who never figured out how to shoot.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:00 pm

We could have easily had Steph Curry had Kahn just made a correct pick. Thibs tenure is turning out to be extremely horrible for the Wolves. I don't think Thibs is going to overtake Kahn as worstest GM ever!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

qrocks wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:30 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:00 pm

We could have easily had Steph Curry had Kahn just made a correct pick. Thibs tenure is turning out to be extremely horrible for the Wolves. I don't think Thibs is going to overtake Kahn as worstest GM ever!
I agree.

Kahn was so bad that every single one of his decisions was the absolute worse it could be. I have often said, and it is true, that if you would have picked any random Rube from Rubechat, they would have done a much better job than Kahn and it would not have been close. Like everyone, the random Rube would have made some mistakes. Like I might have passed on Curry (and does Curry become the player he is today in MN were 3 point shots were frowned on), but I would not have been perfect like Kahn. Even more important, there are few Rubes that would have acted as clownish as Kahn
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Not really. That is in the range of what I think he is worth. He just was offered more by another team. None of it is personal.
Machine2020

Post by Machine2020 »

Hi Cat...The Hoopsguru is backkkkkk....

I love Tyus but I just can't get too sad at that salary. I love that Rosas is going big and trying to reset this Thibs-Layden mess.

:beer:
Machine2020

Post by Machine2020 »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:18 pm
THIS

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Machine2020 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:16 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:18 pm

THIS

Every backup PG has a flaw or they'd be starting. Fact is he was solid. A good backup who had a chance to get better with some work on his shooting. That gets you at minimum 6-8 mil in the NBA. I said I'd probably match up to 3 years 20 mil if we couldn't find an alternative. I assume he would have taken an offer like that from us. But we pissed him off and he gone and we also have no backup plan for our missing backup. Anyone who thinks that it's Napier might want to compare his and Tyus career shooting stats.
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

Hey Hoops, missed you.
My heart is family.